PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body How to remove the Wood panels?

vwdmc16
01-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Kind of a simple question but how are the wood panels directly behind the seats attached to the underbody?

not the upper panels above the fuse box and lambda controls. the vertical ones. are they glued in? I see no screws. I wish to remove them for cleaning and paint while i do some 'glass work back there.

jfirios
01-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Wish i knew, would be interesting to be able to fabricate something lighter and cooler than a plank of wood.

dmc6960
01-07-2012, 11:46 PM
I remember them being glued. Using that thick green glue used to attached many pieces to the main underbody. The middle section does come out though, I remember a clamp or screw type thing on each side. Thats so the wiring harness, throttle cable, radio antenna, etc can go under without removing the whole thing.

Just give them a layer of dynamat.

DMCMW Dave
01-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Kind of a simple question but how are the wood panels directly behind the seats attached to the underbody?

not the upper panels above the fuse box and lambda controls. the vertical ones. are they glued in? I see no screws. I wish to remove them for cleaning and paint while i do some 'glass work back there.

It's plywood glued to the fiberglass. Generally the wood will tear/break somewhat if you try to remove them.

David T
01-08-2012, 01:22 PM
You can try heat to remove the wood. In some cars they are loose. Sometimes you can knock them loose with a sharp hit but as Dave S says, if they are well attached you will break the wood up before you get them loose. To reattach I use a couple of tubes of Liquid Nail.
David Teitelbaum

dmcnorway
01-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Is there another alternative to plywood?
AFAIK, the wood panels are not available anymore.

Stian B.
Norway

VIN # 06759

David T
01-08-2012, 04:28 PM
You can always make up new ones using the old pieces as a template. About the only part you will every buy for your Delorean in a Home Depot!!!!!!!!!!! As old fashioned as it may be to use wood, in the right place it has properties that are unbeatable. Strong, lightweight, inexpensive and easy to machine.
David Teitelbaum

sdg3205
01-08-2012, 05:34 PM
I wish I had a picture of my face when I pulled back the carpet for the first time.

I thought I had been ripped off. "WOOD?!" WTF!

True it is unbeatable in hindsight, but what a shock the first time I saw it.

john 05141
01-09-2012, 06:02 AM
Still do not know why wood was used.
What is that advantage? It is necessary or what is its function now?

I do not need to remove mine, but trying to knock it off, it there no danger you can damage the fibreglass underneath?

John

DMCMW Dave
01-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Still do not know why wood was used.
What is that advantage? It is necessary or what is its function now?

I do not need to remove mine, but trying to knock it off, it there no danger you can damage the fibreglass underneath?

John

It makes up the carpeted panel behind the seats. Just about anything you would replace it with in the same dimension would be heavier and/or more expensive.

No - the would will break first.

BTW - you all realize that Corvettes have used wood in the floor since about 1997, right? (look it up!) It is very hard to beat its combination of light weight, good sound dampening, directional strength, and low cost, assuming you can keep it dry.

jawn101
01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
It makes up the carpeted panel behind the seats. Just about anything you would replace it with in the same dimension would be heavier and/or more expensive.

No - the would will break first.

BTW - you all realize that Corvettes have used wood in the floor since about 1997, right? (look it up!) It is very hard to beat its combination of light weight, good sound dampening, directional strength, and low cost, assuming you can keep it dry.

Amazing, Dave. I didn't know that and I did look it up - came across this rather remarkable photo spread of a bare Corvette ZR1 chassis from the Detroit auto show in 2008. http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/14/detroit-2008-corvette-zr1-chassis-display/ - they show the balsa wood floor panels quite clearly and even briefly discuss them. Cool!

Farrar
01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Wood: The Original Carbon Fiber.

©2012 Farrar Hudkins

jawn101
01-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Wood: The Original Carbon Fiber.

©2012 Farrar Hudkins

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I suspect you would be the only person who appreciates it when I tell people that insist on "organic" produce how much I hate when my apples are made of Tungsten. They certainly never get it...

Farrar
01-09-2012, 01:13 PM
And I suspect that you would appreciate the sticker my brother had on one of his cars -- instead of "W: The President," it said "W: The Element."

Yeah, I come from a family of geeks. :lol:

Farrar

David T
01-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Typically for added strength pieces of wood are "glassed in" when doing fiberglass layups to give added strength in particular places. Often done in boats too. It encapsulates the wood so it can't get wet and has the added feature of buoyancy which is desirable in boats. Up till the late 30's wood was a common element in car doors, roofs, and even some frames. Before aluminum came into common use airplanes were almost all wood. In many homes engineered wood beams are more desirable than steel. In even the most modern cars some dashboards and interior trim have the look of wood (made out of plastic!) because it gives the car a luxurious touch. Many airplane propellers are still being made out of wood because of it's many favorable properties.
David Teitelbaum

jawn101
01-09-2012, 01:41 PM
And I suspect that you would appreciate the sticker my brother had on one of his cars -- instead of "W: The President," it said "W: The Element."

Yeah, I come from a family of geeks. :lol:

Farrar

Beat this, I used to wear a t-shirt with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle printed on it that said "don't ask me, I'm uncertain too"... lol. Sorry, off topic.

Farrar
01-09-2012, 01:41 PM
This is not a contest.

End of off-topic posts from me. :)

Farrar

Don Camillo
01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi,

i removed my wood panels as they aged a lot in the 15 years VIN 573 was in a barn.

Attached you will find my self made replacement for the old wood panels...

In the picture you see them not painted, but right now I painted them black again. They are a 99% replica of the original ones.

best wishes
Don

jawn101
01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi,

i removed my wood panels as they aged a lot in the 15 years VIN 573 was in a barn.

In the picture you see them not painted, but right now I painted them black again. They are a 99% replica of the original ones.

best wishes
Don

Wow, those look excellent.

Victor
01-09-2012, 03:25 PM
The Morgan from britain is also a car that use a lot of wood:

''The Morgan Motor Company located in Britain doesn't change in a changing world.
Not only it is still independent, but it also makes each car by hand.
A base model is about $44,000, but some cars cost up to $300,000.
And people wait for over a year to get their exclusive hand-built cars
with the shell made out of metal and much of the vehicle made out of wood.
Working on the wood interior, workers use metal shears to individually shape
a hood because each car has to be different.
Every year Morgan produces about 600 cars.
The company has celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2011.
It has a long interesting history, because it is still run by the same family: the Morgan’s.
Founded by Henry Frederick Stanley Morgan known as “HFS”, it was then run by his son Peter, and now it is run by Charles, the son of Peter Morgan.''

Farrar
01-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I believe Morgan uses Ash for their frames. Lightweight and strong. But watch out for termites. ;-)

Farrar

dvonk
01-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Beat this, I used to wear a t-shirt with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle printed on it that said "don't ask me, I'm uncertain too"... lol. Sorry, off topic.

more off topic...
i love my geeky shirts, your post remind me of this one that i have:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/quantum_mechanics.jpg

:biggrin:

/off topic

Grover
01-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi,

best wishes
Don

What technique did you end up using to remove the wood panels glued to the fiberglass?

Don Camillo
01-10-2012, 02:29 PM
What technique did you end up using to remove the wood panels glued to the fiberglass?

I grabbed the wood on top and ripped each of the two panels carefully of. In my case no extra tools were needed. Put you have to pull really hard. Each panel came of in one piece. Hope this helps.

Best wishes
Don

Grover
01-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks, the wood in my car is looking very sad. It is on the list of projects.

Barson
01-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi

Have a look at what i did. I have no wood work skills, but it wasn't too hard to make a replacement panel.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6690152249_4d2cc0b4b9_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7012/6690152259_7526142dd5_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6690152263_f2d56b1bc7_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7161/6690152275_ae2280b7ec_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7142/6690152285_5cba262fe0_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7012/6690155189_8c8edd4163_z.jpg

resolution isn't that great on the photos, but you get the idea.

1/2" ply for £20, spray paint, pva glue, no more nails. proper wood saw, couple of spade bits, router (plus bits), electric sander and plenty of patience.

laters
Dave.

jawn101
01-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Hi

Have a look at what i did. I have no wood work skills, but it wasn't too hard to make a replacement panel.

resolution isn't that great on the photos, but you get the idea.

1/2" ply for £20, spray paint, pva glue, no more nails. proper wood saw, couple of spade bits, router (plus bits), electric sander and plenty of patience.

laters
Dave.

Damn, that's a LOT of Dynamat.