PDA

View Full Version : Can not remove rear wheel from my other car

1batt4u
01-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi all,

I can not remove rear driver side wheel. It is stuck like crazy. This is on my 2000 Trans Am. I tried everything, all kinds of kicking. Putting back all bolts but not tight, lowered car, rocked it back and forth, even spun rear wheel but nothing!! I even used a jack on the inside rims and against the metal frame, Nothing!

Need help!!!! Any ideas???

DMCTek
01-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Hi all,

I can not remove rear driver side wheel. It is stuck like crazy. This is on my 2000 Trans Am. I tried everything, all kinds of kicking. Putting back all bolts but not tight, lowered car, rocked it back and forth, even spun rear wheel but nothing!! I even used a jack on the inside rims and against the metal frame, Nothing!

Need help!!!! Any ideas???

1) Penetrant
2) 5lb. rubber sledge
3) pound
4) curse
5) repeat

jackb
01-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Use a Cheater bar. Every garage needs a cheater bar.
I've had some things so stuck my 2' 3/4" drive breaker bar wasn't doing squat. I have a 5' piece of 2" box steel I slid over it and it still took all I had before it broke loose (sounded like a gunshot when it finally did).
A really long pipe, is optimal, of course. Other things can be a factor, space the work is being done in, for example. Another version of a cheater bar is to put the box end of a wrench over the end of the breaker bar, and that will increase the length to get better leverage. But, in your case, it sounds like you need as long as possible a bar to get enough leverage. I'd be pretty surprised if a 5' pipe combined with a LOT of force wasn't enough.

rddmc
01-08-2012, 11:21 PM
With the lug nuts off or loose to near the end and with the wheel jacked up just off the ground, hit the tire with a 5 pound sledge hammer, be careful it will bounce back after the strike. Hit at various places around the tire and take care not to damage the rim with an errant strike. Don't give up too soon, if needed, switch to an 8 pound sledge hammer!

This worked on a large Lexus SUV, which had the tires rotated(at least on the dealer's billing) just a couple of days before a flat tire. The two metals had basically bonded together, strange that it could have done so just after being "rotated".

Rod

DeLorean
01-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Loosen all lug nuts 2 turns, then drive car. Hard around a corner, you will hear a pop and it will come off.

Ryan King
01-09-2012, 12:33 AM
The problem is, its a Pontiac. :p

jackb
01-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Ooooh, I just reread this and understand now, the nuts are off, but the wheel is stuck... ok.
Dealt with this a lot before. Sit on your butt facing the wheel, hands on the ground behind you, and with both heels side by side, kick the tire on the sidewall. Really kick the hell out of it, don't be shy, you won't hurt it. Give it a few at 3:00 and then switch over to 9:00, that should break it loose.

1batt4u
01-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Ooooh, I just reread this and understand now, the nuts are off, but the wheel is stuck... ok.
Dealt with this a lot before. Sit on your butt facing the wheel, hands on the ground behind you, and with both heels side by side, kick the tire on the sidewall. Really kick the hell out of it, don't be shy, you won't hurt it. Give it a few at 3:00 and then switch over to 9:00, that should break it loose.

Thats the first thing I tried. Then I moved over to more aggressive stuff, but nothing.

Dangermouse
01-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Loosen all lug nuts 2 turns, then drive car. Hard around a corner, you will hear a pop and it will come off.

Just remember to the stop and tighten the lugs again:

http://jalopnik.com/5874021/watch-what-happens-when-an-suv-loses-a-wheel-at-highway-speed

Ron
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Get it on a rack and hit it from the inside...

1batt4u
01-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Well, finally got it out!! I sprayed some penetrating oil, also took a big piece of wood, the heavy duty kind, 2" x 4" 3 feet long. Put it on the inside of the wheel and against the metal frame, came right off!!!

Thank you all for the advice!!!

DMCMW Dave
01-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Well, finally got it out!! I sprayed some penetrating oil, also took a big piece of wood, the heavy duty kind, 2" x 4" 3 feet long. Put it on the inside of the wheel and against the metal frame, came right off!!!

Thank you all for the advice!!!

When you put it back on:
--Clean up the ridge;
--Put a bit of anti-sieze compound
--Rotate your tires more often