PDA

View Full Version : Curious About A Certain DeLorean.

Karin
01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
A little while ago today, I was going to post another topic regarding where I can find a list of VIN's that are still around but I ended up finding it myself anyway; yet the information on it is now over five years old. Reason is, for ever since I started loving DeLoreans, I have been wondering if there's a certain VIN still around that would be the second thing I absolutely need for my dream car. I want to get a car that has a VIN containing my birthyear, 1986. According to the 5-year old list, there is a 1986 (VIN) in California.

Sorry for butting into someone's privacy, but I am wondering if it is currently active. If not, and if it's on sale or going to be on sale, I will work to buy it someday. That will take a good while because right now, my dad is living by a thread because his business has been so slow, we may have to sacrifice a few things to save on money, and I will have to resort to being a waitress if some computer graphics or website job does not pop up for me, which it hasn't for some time. My last job pretty much sucked, really.

Farrar
01-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Regardless of whether it's for sale, you can always save your pennies. I started saving money for a DeLorean before I even knew what they cost. It can't hurt.

Good luck with the job hunt.

Farrar

Dangermouse
01-09-2012, 03:46 PM
A little while ago today, I was going to post another topic regarding where I can find a list of VIN's that are still around but I ended up finding it myself anyway; yet the information on it is now over five years old. Reason is, for ever since I started loving DeLoreans, I have been wondering if there's a certain VIN still around that would be the second thing I absolutely need for my dream car. I want to get a car that has a VIN containing my birthyear, 1986. According to the 5-year old list, there is a 1986 (VIN) in California.

Knuts 2006 list has been superseded by this one:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1594-VIN-Chronology

1986 still shows as being in Cali, though.

Iznodmad
01-09-2012, 03:49 PM
I can't remember ever seeing that one (#1986) for sale or owned, but it did just bring back a memory of VIN 1981 being for sale on the old dmctalk.com website. It would have been cool to own that car, at least for me. I get a kick out of the history of the car as it pertains to build characteristics and VINS, etc.

Karin
01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I did see a #1985 that is also in California. Was also pretty surprised to notice those small line of cars were all autos, all black interiors.

DMCVegas
01-11-2012, 12:36 AM
When production first started they didn't know what demand for drivetrains was going to be, so they started with a 50/50 mix of autos and manuals.

As for the VIN numbers, don't sweat it. It would be pretty cool if I could get my hands on 666, or 2600, but I don't sweat it. Maybe it's just always been me, but in some instances I've just preferred to let randomness take over when it comes to number assignments like this. Take my VIN for example. Before owning it the number sequence meant nothing at all to me. But ever since I got it, 6585 has been mine. That's not just my car's number, but mine as well (though I'm not stupid enough to use it as a PIN).

Whatever number you wind up with will be uniquely yours, and will become just as, if not even more important to you.

dmcerik
01-12-2012, 01:05 PM
As for the VIN numbers, don't sweat it. It would be pretty cool if I could get my hands on 666, or 2600, but I don't sweat it.

I'm pretty sure I know the guy who owns vin 2600. It was either that, or 7200. I knew it was an Atari reference when i first saw the car. he knew it too. If I'm correct and it is 2600 then he's completely modified the interior. The car was in very sad shape before he bought it so it needed everything.

This was over 6 years ago so it may not be accurate anymore. Vin 2600 is located (based on the list) in Portage Michigan which isn't too far from where I first saw it (Byron Center, MI). Perhaps he moved.

sdg3205
01-12-2012, 01:14 PM
In the end, your VIN will imprint on you and vice versa no matter what it is!