PDA

View Full Version : "DeLoreans are heavy and slow"

sdg3205
01-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Of all the misinformation related to out cars, nothing bothers me more than the "DeLoreans are heavy and slow." More the heavy thing then slow.

When you look at specs and performance data from commercially produced sports cars from 1981, almost all the cars have 0-60 results within 2 seconds of each other. The Ferrari 308 comes in at 8 seconds, the Corvette at 8.1 seconds, the Datsun 280 at 9.2 etc etc and the list goes on. Hardly impressive these days of course, but that was the name of the game with environmental restrictions at the time. Depending on the source, DeLoreans came in between 9.5 and 10.5 seconds. To me, that is slower, not slow. Then for example, you have the 1980 Triumph Spitfire at 13.1. No one complains about how slow they are. There are countless slower imports from the same era.

I agree DeLoreans are not fast, but they were certainly not the slowest sports car in 1981 by any means. They are however the only sports car from 1981 that anyone thinks is slow. This is probably a result of DMC claiming they were contending with the big boys, and not the other imports at the time.

Then you have the whole "heavy" thing. This is just the worst; a real face-palmer. The DeLorean is equally as heavy IF NOT LIGHTER than the cars listed above in the first paragraph. Do biographers and journalists look at data or are they fucking morons? Heavy compared to what? A box of Kleenex? A sock? Are they trying to lift it with one hand? I mean WTF!?

My favorite thing to say now when someone tells me my car is heavy and slow is to respond with: "Oh was that the impression you had when you drove one?" Of course no one ever has.

Now in comes the the engine swap threads. All these people that want to throw in a V8 because they believe the car is heavy and slow. Who can blame them? We believe what we hear from sources we consider to be authorities on the subject - such as biographers and automotive critics. Unfortunately, most of these people haven't had the pleasure of driving a DeLorean or they've got a non-runner they're going to pull the engine from leaving them in the same place.

Maybe it's just me, but when you pull out the engine that came with the car, it really isn't that car anymore. If I put a V8 in a DeLorean, it's not really a DeLorean the same way dropping a K-Car engine into a Ferrari destroys it as a Ferrari. I have nothing against upgrading the original engine with better air filters, cams or heads etc because it (at least to me) maintains original integrity. Where I differ is that I believe people are welcome to do as they wish with their own vehicles, I just wish some wouldn't jump in head first with so much misinformation. I'm willing to bet if all the pro-swappers drove one for a year first, many of them would change their minds.

Just say'n.

Chris Burns
01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Of all the misinformation related to out cars, nothing bothers me more than the "DeLoreans are heavy and slow." More the heavy thing then slow.

When you look at specs and performance data from commercially produced sports cars from 1981, almost all the cars have 0-60 results within 2 seconds of each other. The Ferrari 308 comes in at 8 seconds, the Corvette at 8.1 seconds, the Datsun 280 at 9.2 etc etc and the list goes on. Hardly impressive these days of course, but that was the name of the game with environmental restrictions at the time. Depending on the source, DeLoreans came in between 9.5 and 10.5 seconds. To me, that is slower, not slow. Then for example, you have the 1980 Triumph Spitfire at 13.1. No one complains about how slow they are. There are countless slower imports from the same era.

I agree DeLoreans are not fast, but they were certainly not the slowest sports car in 1981 by any means. They are however the only sports car from 1981 that anyone thinks is slow. This is probably a result of DMC claiming they were contending with the big boys, and not the other imports at the time.

Then you have the whole "heavy" thing. This is just the worst; a real face-palmer. The DeLorean is equally as heavy IF NOT LIGHTER than the cars listed above in the first paragraph. Do biographers and journalists look at data or are they fucking morons? Heavy compared to what? A box of Kleenex? A sock? Are they trying to lift it with one hand? I mean WTF!?

My favorite thing to say now when someone tells me my car is heavy and slow is to respond with: "Oh was that the impression you had when you drove one?" Of course no one ever has.

Now in comes the the engine swap threads. All these people that want to throw in a V8 because they believe the car is heavy and slow. Who can blame them? We believe what we hear from sources we consider to be authorities on the subject - such as biographers and automotive critics. Unfortunately, most of these people haven't had the pleasure of driving a DeLorean or they've got a non-runner they're going to pull the engine from leaving them in the same place.

Maybe it's just me, but when you pull out the engine that came with the car, it really isn't that car anymore. If I put a V8 in a DeLorean, it's not really a DeLorean the same way dropping a K-Car engine into a Ferrari destroys it as a Ferrari. I have nothing against upgrading the original engine with better air filters, cams or heads etc because it (at least to me) maintains original integrity. Where I differ is that I believe people are welcome to do as they wish with their own vehicles, I just wish some wouldn't jump in head first with so much misinformation. I'm willing to bet if all the pro-swappers drove one for a year first, many of them would change their minds.

Just say'n.

Truer words were never spoken!:thumbup2:

pezzonovante88
01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Exactly. The original Triumph TR6s did 0-60 in about 10sec with a 110mph top speed; no one complains about those. Porsche 944s were about 8.5-9 sec 0-60. Change up the muffler and remove the cat in a DeLorean and you're in the mid 8 second range, I'm sure. Its not a 'fast' car, but its not 'slow' either.

opethmike
01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Well, let's be fair here - swapping an engine into a Ferrari makes it less of a Ferrari because F cars have proprietary engines. The DeLorean has the PRV; nothing distinctive about that. In fact, I would argue that the engine is the least "DeLorean" part of the car.

If you took away the stainless, or the gull wings, then yeah, you certainly would have made it less DeLorean.

Other than that, I agree with your post.

Let's look at the weight and 0 - 60 of some cars from that same era:

1981 Corvette, 190 HP, 8.1 seconds 0 - 60, 3,345 pounds
1981 911 SC, 204 HP, 5.7 seconds 0 - 60, 2,552 pounds
1981 Esprit, 140 HP, 8.1 seconds 0 - 60, 2,425 pounds
1981 Ferrari 308, 210 HP, 7.1 seconds 0 - 60, 3,317 pounds

sdg3205
01-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Well, let's be fair here - swapping an engine into a Ferrari makes it less of a Ferrari because F cars have proprietary engines. The DeLorean has the PRV; nothing distinctive about that. In fact, I would argue that the engine is the least "DeLorean" part of the car.

Good point, Mike. I look at it from more of a collectors position. Let's not forget DMC also pioneered a completely original turbo set-up for our PRV's incarnation.

opethmike
01-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Good point, Mike. I look at it from more of a collectors position. Let's not forget DMC also pioneered a completely original turbo set-up for our PRV's incarnation.

Agreed on the collector point.

Well, Legend did that :)

DMCMW Dave
01-13-2012, 02:18 PM
1981 Corvette, 190 HP, 8.1 seconds 0 - 60, 3,345 pounds

If you want to be totally appalled, look up the weight of a modern Mustang/ Camaro/ Challenger.

opethmike
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
If you want to be totally appalled, look up the weight of a modern Mustang/ Camaro/ Challenger.

Oh yeah, quite familiar. Its disturbing.

pezzonovante88
01-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Some other random cars from the same time period that would have been considered sport or luxury sports cars:
-Mazda RX7s (Late '70s to mid '80s) ranged in from 9-9.8 sec 0-60.
-BMW 733/735 did 0-60 in about 10 sec,
-Most Audi 5000 variations were in the high 10 second range
-1991 Alfa Romeo Spider - 10.5-11 sec
-Datsun 260/280 SX mid-high 9 sec range
-Late 1980 to early 1990 Nissan 240SX mid 8s to mid 9s 0-60
Etc.

dmc6960
01-13-2012, 02:25 PM
If I put a V8 in a DeLorean, it's not really a DeLorean the same way dropping a K-Car engine into a Ferrari destroys it as a Ferrari.

Completely agree with you here with one exception, the prototype V8 PRV. Someone posted a photo of one on the old .com site, but I'm unable to find it now. Looked JUST like our engine, Kjet, intake, exhaust. Only 8 cylinders.

The PRV may not have been a proprietary engine for DeLorean, but it IS what we got.

As for a V6 swap, well, any PRV fits the bill. Thats about it for me.

sdg3205
01-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Some other random cars from the same time period that would have been considered sport or luxury sports cars:
-Mazda RX7s (Late '70s to mid '80s) ranged in from 9-9.8 sec 0-60.
-BMW 733/735 did 0-60 in about 10 sec,
-Most Audi 5000 variations were in the high 10 second range
-1991 Alfa Romeo Spider - 10.5-11 sec
-Datsun 260/280 SX mid-high 9 sec range
-Late 1980 to early 1990 Nissan 240SX mid 8s to mid 9s 0-60
Etc.

Yeah totally.

I subscribed to Hemmings Sport and Exotic after our car graced the cover a few years ago. It's a really good read and it always focuses on really cool obscure vehicles, often from the 70's and 80's. I'm always floored at how similar all the performance and spec data is compared to one another as well as DeLoreans. I think that's why its become more of a hot button issue to me over the last year or so.

sdg3205
01-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Completely agree with you here with one exception, the prototype V8 PRV. Someone posted a photo of one on the old .com site, but I'm unable to find it now. Looked JUST like our engine, Kjet, intake, exhaust. Only 8 cylinders.

The PRV may not have been a proprietary engine for DeLorean, but it IS what we got.

As for a V6 swap, well, any PRV fits the bill. Thats about it for me.

Now THAT would have been cool! Recall it's displacement?

dmc6960
01-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Now THAT would have been cool! Recall it's displacement?

Don't think it was mentioned. However you can assume that since those first generation PRVs only came in 2.5-2.85L sizes (2.6 might have been the smallest then though), the V8 equivalent would be anywhere from 3.33 to 3.8.

Of course though I would want all of our modern improvements (cams/exhaust, or legend style twin turbo) on it too.

01-13-2012, 03:24 PM
I've driven an 81" Delorean with a stage 2 and a 5 speed and never once did I say, "Wow this car is fast, or quick, or has a light feel to it. I did comment to myself that the car felt heavy and had a good deal of body roll when making lane changes at speed. I wouldn’t refer to the car as slow but using the numbers supplied

1. 1981 Corvette, 190 HP, 8.1 seconds 0 - 60, 3,345 pounds

A Delorean is at least 20% slower than the slowest and about 45% slower than the fastest.

In comparison that is slow if you ask me. If I beat you in a foot race by 20% I blew you away, same as in a boat, same as in a car.

My impression of the car is this: a solid middle of the pack car when it comes to get up and go at best, and I'd want to do a great deal to stop the dody roll in the turns. Maybe that would make it feel more crisp.

Chris Burns
01-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Which would I rather have? A fast crappy car or a slow reliable car. Nothing wrong with a fast car though:devil: Some of my favorite cars are fast cars. To me it's about the ownership experinece. I apprecaite all cool cars fast or slow. Before I drove a Delorean in 2010 I didn't know what to expect. When my bud let me drive his Delorean it was one of the happiest moments of my life! I thought to myself "Why are people soo hard on these? This is really fun to drive!). It's like driving a low slung go-kart (which I really enjoy). Dont hate something until you try it!!

Evildeli
01-13-2012, 04:23 PM
I know everyone says the back end is heavy, but the only time the rear ever slipped on me was when I made a u-turn on wet grass. Maybe I'm not driving it as hard as others. I find the D to be much more of a balanced car than my dad's '72 vette. His car might beat me on a straight road, but I'll take the D on any curve.

When it comes to people calling the D slow and heavy, I heard that most critics were expecting something fast from the father of the muscle car and were disappointing with the final numbers.

Kenny_Z
01-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Very cool, thanks for the numbers. Maybe now I can shut the guys in my office up when they rag on my poor D.

I can say I've never driven anything quite as nimble as my Delorean. Of all the cars I own I find that she's the one I catch myself speeding in a lot. She'll get up to 80 from 60 wwaaaaayy too easily.

protodelorean
01-13-2012, 08:55 PM
My opinion is the issue of perceived slowness comes from the exotic expectations set by "doors that go up". Sadly try finding a slower car with gullwing, scissor, or butterfly doors.

Michael
01-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Sadly try finding a slower car with gullwing, scissor, or butterfly doors.

Done and done :)
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSmW_vTSIY6s4pIQUAVM-U3AQr7lWcJ1P-YQL65uzmfkdhr-ZGRese-KcJ

protodelorean
01-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Done and done :)
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSmW_vTSIY6s4pIQUAVM-U3AQr7lWcJ1P-YQL65uzmfkdhr-ZGRese-KcJ

Meh. Throw a cold air intake on it and it'd probably beat a stock D. :dork:

PlutonimicX
01-13-2012, 11:58 PM
It seems that these comments about it being heavy and slow stem from the personal feeling about the car, they just don't like it for whatever reason. In my experience, I've been to car shows along side Maseratis, Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Lotus Esprits and not to mention other things like MGs and Triumphs of all sorts, Volkswagen Rabbit GTIs, Gen. 1 MR2s, Celica Supras, etc from around the same era. However none of these cars have been criticized in person for being slow except my DeLorean which is shocking because as you can see, I included Maserati and Lotus in this mix which as everyone probably knows these names in the industry synonymously for being among the top makers for performance cars. In actuality these two cars alone took roughly 8-9 seconds to get to 60 in US trim in the late 70s/early 80s. Even the '81 Mustang McLaren M81 took 9.3 seconds to get to 60 according to the Mustang specs web site. Of these three cars, the Maserati, the Lotus and the Mustang I have never once heard of anyone calling them slow but on the contrary, commenting on how fast they must be.

To conclude this I have one more small theory which is that the other cars I listed, these cars "feel" fast, even an emissions choked MGB for example. As slow as they are, they're basic but delightful sporting cars. You've got a small two seater convertible and a third pedal and a manual gear lever and people just want to make a lot of engine chatter with that (US Spec)1.8 litre ~75-85bhp engine. People call this driving a slow car fast. The early Esprits fall into that category in my opinion because they're a little louder and smaller on the inside as well as more sports oriented than the DeLorean and there's the fact that you're still not going to get to 60 faster than about 8 seconds in US trim even if it is a Lotus. The DeLorean comparitively offers a more relaxed drive than these two cars courtesy of a more elegantly trimmed interior, taller gearing, it's a bit quieter and the engine is usually more relaxed as a result and you can probably feel that comparison and I would say that it doesn't "feel" fast like these other cars even though there's not a world of difference in the actual speed.

Sorry for the long post, I guess I just had a lot to say.

Jonathan
01-14-2012, 12:36 AM
I've heard these "heavy" comments a number of times too Dave, so here's my 2 cents on where I think it comes from:

The general population runs rampant with stupid individuals (reference George Carlin quote). Add to that that these people will believe what they hear, run with it and repeat it, but never question it. Along comes a car "made of stainless steel" and these same people conclude because it's made of stainless steel, that wow, stainless steel, that sounds like a metal that's really substantial and heavy, well, I guess that means the whole car has got to be really heavy.

Because people normally see a painted hood or painted door panels, they somehow don't remember that under there is metal that's quite heavy too. Sure the density of 304SS might be greater than some other kind of body panel steel, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still under there. I think people see the exposed stainless in the doors, the hood, and quarter panels and don't stop and think to themselves that just maybe it's not SOLID stainless steel.

The same people wouldn't recognize that there are other light weight aspects of the car like that the stainless panels aren't very thick or that the fiberglas of the pontoon isn't as heavy as had it been solid steel (or that the wood in the car isn't very heavy... but maybe let's not tell them the car has wood in it for fear of giving them more ammunition).

I liken the association of the stainless outer appearance with the conclusion that it must be really heavy to people that automatically think the rear windows in a four door sedan that don't go down all the way are related to them being "child proof windows"... when they don't think enough to see that if that "non-folding/bending" glass were to roll down all the way it would protrude out the corner of the door where the curvature goes around the wheel well. Anyway.

And this belief in the car being heavy is coming from all over. This summer I had some young guy and his gf walk by and I hear him saying to her that "this DeLorean was the heaviest car every made." Really? Really smart guy? You mean like heavier than any car ever produced? Heavier than all those huge Rolls Royce boats/land yachts or old Caddies? Like Dave S mentioned, do these guys realize how much their new daily drivers weigh? My 2009 Pontiac is over 4,000 lbs.

The best comment was a guy at a car show I used to go to in my old town and this tow truck driver guy did a fly by, saw the DeLorean, busted a U-ey, and came hustling back just so he could tell me about how he towed one of these a long time ago. He actually was so believing in his BS story that he said something about them having to use some kind of extra strength cable on the tow truck just to pull it up. Really? Oh, and how much do you think they weigh fella? I think he said something ridiculous like 6,000 lbs or something. I'm like okay, so what does that VIN plaque on the drivers door say it weighs? I think he saw the 3,000 lb part and sort of left quietly when no one was looking.

You can't fix stupid Dave :)

Karin
01-14-2012, 04:47 AM
I do like a little speed but I prefer a safe, comfortable ride than a really fast one.

Yeah, really, if people still think these cars are heavy nowadays, they really don't know what they're talking about. My Sebring is approximately the same size but a thousand pounds heavier.

amuderick
01-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Say one were to drop 20% off the curb weight with modifications, improvements, modern materials, etc. how much faster would it be? I.e. how much does heavy have to do with it?

Jonathan
01-14-2012, 06:23 PM
The best bang for your buck would be to do away with the heavy negative impact of the catalytic converter. If you put something in there a bit "lighter" if ya know what I'm saying, you'll see the performance improve.

SamHill
01-14-2012, 06:34 PM
http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.10937081.8264/sticker,375x360.png

dvonk
01-14-2012, 09:46 PM
:bigclap:

Rhsxo
01-14-2012, 11:08 PM
http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.10937081.8264/sticker,375x360.png

Love it!

In talking to a local DeLorean owner that is an original owner who still has and drives his car, he always talks about how fast his car is and that it's a real sports car. This guy and his wife have a real love for their D and have never felt that their car was "under powered". In fact, he likes telling me that when you get above 110mph, the front end gets really light and can begin to "change lanes on its own".

The only D's that he says are slow are Automatic's. I've drove both and have to agree.

Dracula
01-15-2012, 01:58 PM
And this belief in the car being heavy is coming from all over. This summer I had some young guy and his gf walk by and I hear him saying to her that "this DeLorean was the heaviest car every made." Really? Really smart guy? You mean like heavier than any car ever produced? Heavier than all those huge Rolls Royce boats/land yachts or old Caddies? Like Dave S mentioned, do these guys realize how much their new daily drivers weigh? My 2009 Pontiac is over 4,000 lbs.

My love of Cadillacs is well-known and to cite examples of their weight, my 1970 DeVille Convertible weighs 4,660 lbs WITHOUT a full tank of gas. My 1976 Eldorado coupe weighs in at a morbidly-obese 5,085 lbs of Detroit steel on an empty tank. You're talking nearly double the weight of a DeLorean in these cars.

Though, that's not to say that I don't get stupid comments with them, too. Every week I get some pretentious, self-righteous know-it-all telling me how I'm "destroying the planet" by driving my Cadillac. I used to explain how it was a greener vehicle with a vastly lower carbon footprint than the Prius that they're typically driving, but now I don't even dignify it with a response. The other one I'll constantly get is people who ask me how I can drive a car that's so big.

Fred Eaglesmith said it best in the song "Mighty Big Car" with: "28 feet from bumper to bumper. The last of the sweet old time gas guzzlers. Hard to drive, harder to park, but when you do somebody remarks, 'That's a mighty big car.'"

No matter what you drive, people are going to say stupid things about your car. In the end, you have to be like a duck with water and let it roll off your back.

dhaney
01-15-2012, 06:02 PM
My love of Cadillacs is well-known and to cite examples of their weight, my 1970 DeVille Convertible weighs 4,660 lbs WITHOUT a full tank of gas. My 1976 Eldorado coupe weighs in at a morbidly-obese 5,085 lbs

When I was young one of the cars my dad owned was a 1976 Lincoln Mark IV, it had a 460 (7.5L) with 212 hp and 365 ft pounds of torque. The frame was filled with LEAD to give the car a smooth comforable ride more than 19' long and it weighed more than 5,500 lbs and it was a TWO DOOR COUPE! Great car, my dad was a huge Caddy and Linclon guy with all the bells and whistles the car practically did all the driving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Continental_Mark_IV

My dad put an air ride leveling system on the car and used it to tow his boat, he drove a pickup at work and wanted something comfortable when he was at play and this was just the ticket.

It was interesting when he brought home the Delorean it was so anti his usual style but he loved it despite it being slow. Even compared to the overweight extra long Lincoln.

Dan

Stainless
01-15-2012, 06:28 PM
When I was young one of the cars my dad owned was a 1976 Lincoln Mark IV, it had a 460 (7.5L) with 212 hp and 365 ft pounds of torque. The frame was filled with LEAD to give the car a smooth comforable ride more than 19' long and it weighed more than 5,500 lbs and it was a TWO DOOR COUPE! Great car, my dad was a huge Caddy and Linclon guy with all the bells and whistles the car practically did all the driving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Continental_Mark_IV

This is something interesting that I believe you've mentioned before. Are you saying that your dad filled the frame with lead to give it a smooth ride, or are you saying that this was done at the factory? I just can't find any information about this being done by Detroit, so I was hoping you could clarify. If done at the factory, please direct me to your source. Thanks.

tyb323
01-15-2012, 09:55 PM
No matter what you drive, people are going to say stupid things about your car. In the end, you have to be like a duck with water and let it roll off your back.

Advice from you to the BTTF car guys? =D

jmrydholm
01-16-2012, 04:45 PM

I'm only truly appalled when they give me the finger on I-435 for no apparent reason while I'm doing 65-70mph.

"Do you think I'm stupid enough to race that butthead?" :tongue_stick: -Marty McFly

thirdmanj
01-17-2012, 01:34 AM
I'm only truly appalled when they give me the finger on I-435 for no apparent reason while I'm doing 65-70mph.

"Do you think I'm stupid enough to race that butthead?" :tongue_stick: -Marty McFly

"Asshole". Marty said "asshole". You owe me one geek card. ;)

David_NYS
03-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Love it!
In fact, he likes telling me that when you get above 110mph, the front end gets really light and can begin to "change lanes on its own".

I was just reading through this thread, and this caught my eye. Being a new Delorean owner I am a little concerned; is this actually a problem? I have heard rumblings in the past about Deloreans being to heavy in the back, and it effecting handling on the high end... :frantic:

Dracula
03-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Only if you attempt rapid lane deviations at triple-digit speeds.

DMCVegas
03-26-2012, 02:24 AM
I was just reading through this thread, and this caught my eye. Being a new Delorean owner I am a little concerned; is this actually a problem? I have heard rumblings in the past about Deloreans being to heavy in the back, and it effecting handling on the high end... :frantic:

The question in return of course is who exactly did you hear this from?

Chad is dead-on, and I can attest that with a good set of tires and decent shocks (even stock ones) the DeLorean does just fine at maintaining high speeds. My car always felt like it just hunkered down and gripped tighter.

There are really 3 factors that play into poor handling of a DeLorean:

It's a used car. And if you haven't replaced all the worn parts after 30 years of use/neglect, you're gonna have handling problems with ANY car.
You're dealing with a driver who doesn't actually know what their car is capable of since they've never pushed it. (See people who don't know how to disable the intermittent wipers because they don't drive in the rain)
You are a person who isn't capable as a driver to be able to handle such intense speeds.

That last one is the most important one of all. For safety you should typically drive about 15 seconds AHEAD. Depending upon your speed sets the actual distance out ahead that you've got to look. And when you're clocking triple-digit speeds you've got to be looking out almost a half-mile ahead. Now having said this, I can tell also tell you that the experience is also extremely nerve-racking. Driving that fast and having to plan out your lane changes that far in advance is so exhausting. And that's not even considering what happens when you do see cars that you have to get around, when you come up on hills, when cars up ahead do pull out in front of you because they can't gauge your speed to know how fast you're closing in, and all the while trying to keep an eye out for law enforcement. It's fun if you're a thrill seeker and love the adrenaline rush because it's so dangerous. And if a car, a cow, or road kill are in the way, you've got to gently glide over into the next lane. Slowing down to a manageable speed also takes about a mile or so. Otherwise if you yank that steering wheel or slam those brakes, it's going to be a disaster. And if you know that you can't make it, all you can do is sit back and prepare for the worst.

It doesn't matter what kind of car you're driving. At such high speeds, yanking the steering wheel too much is going to end the same way. As such people always mistake this for a *light* front end, as well as blame the vehicle. If a vehicle isn't capable of those high speeds, you're gonna feel it shake. And for those vehicles that are meant to cruise that fast, driver confidence is what starts to shake. That's not a bad thing of course. Not everyone has either the courage or dumb lack of fear to drive that fast, and that's ok. I can't do it anymore. Maybe it's because I've gotten older and have more to live for, but I've just lost that edge. Either way I know it's not the car, it's me.

Mike C.
03-26-2012, 08:15 AM

Here's the thing about DeLoreans...

Everyone who sees one on the highway or at a car show is an expert on them, and AMAZINGLY everyone's uncle had one, or they all knew a guy who had one. Some people have even had the V8 model, and yet some have had theirs since 1974.

Some guys have owned cars that were full of cocaine, and were seized, some wear John DeLorean owned the car personally. Many swear they are a limited production car.

the truth of the matter is that many, many, many people talk out of their asses when it comes to knowing ANYTHING about DeLoreans. If you take your car down the highway AT highway speeds, it is a very stable car, even with the motor out back.

Now, when it comes to RAIN, personally I do not enjoy driving on little 14" tires in the rain. They tend to feel like lil rudders when they hit a puddle spot on the highway. Have i ever killed myself in the car? Nope. It's just not my first choice of car to drive in rainy weather if I didn't have to.

So, the moral of the story is:
1. People who talk to you randomly about your car are mostly full of crap. Not everyone, but alot of people.
2. According to what I have been told over the years, there are about 4,000 uncles with deloreans in storage.
3. The car is fine at highway speeds. I've never had one come flying out from under me because of the engine being out back.
4. Im sure there were plenty of D's with cocaine in them in the 80's, but not from smuggling... :biggrin:

Dracula
03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
I amended that for you.

So, the moral of the story is:
1. People who talk to you randomly about your car are mostly full of crap. Not everyone, but alot of people.
2. According to what I have been told over the years, there are about 4,000 uncles with deloreans in storage.
2½. Your car doesn't have the factory V8 and it HAS TO HAVE BEEN REMOVED at some point. (This motor was either a Chevy 350 or a Ford 351; pending on who you talk to.)
3. The car is fine at highway speeds. I've never had one come flying out from under me because of the engine being out back.
4. Im sure there were plenty of D's with cocaine in them in the 80's, but not from smuggling... :biggrin:

jerzybondov
03-26-2012, 01:24 PM
A slightly different perspective on the 'heavy and slow' side of things. The production DMC-12 was heavier than the design team (and JZD himself) originally intended (according to Nick Sutton) and less powerful than originally envisaged too. JZD wanted over 170bhp but for various reasons it wasn't ultimately meant to be.

So if you asked the original design team the same question - is it...? They might well say yes.

Dracula
03-26-2012, 01:29 PM
A slightly different perspective on the 'heavy and slow' side of things. The production DMC-12 was heavier than the design team (and JZD himself) originally intended (according to Nick Sutton) and less powerful than originally envisaged too. JZD wanted over 170bhp but for various reasons it wasn't ultimately meant to be.

So if you asked the original design team the same question - is it...? They might well say yes.

That's heavier and slower than intended, as opposed to heavy and slow.

To re-use some stats that I've posted here before; a simple comparison from 1981:

DeLorean.......Corvette........Ferrari 308 GTSi
0-60 Times:
Alleged 8.6 ....Alleged 8.1...Alleged 7.9
Weight
2,840 lbs........3,345...........3,250 lbs
Horsepower
130 Hp............190 Hp........214 Hp
Power-to-weight ratio

So, pound for pound, the DeLorean is lighter than the Corvette and Ferrari of its day.

03-26-2012, 06:47 PM
So, pound for pound, the DeLorean is lighter than the Corvette and Ferrari of its day.

What?

Is that like saying what weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?

I'm sure this makes some sort of sense to you but you may want to reword it.

Dracula
03-26-2012, 06:50 PM
What?

Is that like saying what weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?

I'm sure this makes some sort of sense to you but you may want to reword it.

It means that if you compare the three cars by weight, the DeLorean is the lightest.

Jonathan
03-26-2012, 08:25 PM
DeLorean.......Corvette........Ferrari 308 GTSi
0-60 Times:
Alleged 8.6 ....Alleged 8.1...Alleged 7.9
Weight
2,840 lbs........3,345...........3,250 lbs
Horsepower
130 Hp............190 Hp........214 Hp
Power-to-weight ratio

I need some clarification on the math here. What are the units of your "power-to-weight" ratio? If it is power/weight, i.e. Hp/lb, then the numbers would be something like: 0.0458.......... 0.0568.......... 0.0658 That ratio to me says it is better to have a higher number, i.e. more power per pound.

If the comparison was the inverse though, meaning weight/power (or in terms of units, lb/Hp), the numbers would be: 21.8.......... 17.6........... 15.2. Where a lower number is better, i.e. it is better to have to drag around less weight for every horsepower.

Either way, the DeLorean comes out the loser.

Dracula
03-26-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure how it was calculated, as those were the numbers I pulled from various automotive sources of repute. I'd imagine it would be lbs/HP, though.

opethmike
03-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Too bad that it being the lightest doesn't matter. What matters is the power to weight ratio, and it is the worst of those three by a significant amount.

Michael
03-26-2012, 09:30 PM

LOL, I knew there were far less than 6000 cars on the road, that explains it.

David_NYS
03-28-2012, 06:28 PM
The question in return of course is who exactly did you hear this from?

Chad is dead-on, and I can attest that with a good set of tires and decent shocks (even stock ones) the DeLorean does just fine at maintaining high speeds. My car always felt like it just hunkered down and gripped tighter.

There are really 3 factors that play into poor handling of a DeLorean:
[LIST=1]
It's a used car. And if you haven't replaced all the worn parts after 30 years of use/neglect, you're gonna have handling problems with ANY car.
You're dealing with a driver who doesn't actually know what their car is capable of since they've never pushed it. (See people who don't know how to disable the intermittent wipers because they don't drive in the rain)
You are a person who isn't capable as a driver to be able to handle such intense speeds.

The rumblings I heard were actually from my father. Where he heard it, I don't really know... Maybe he was just being a overly concerned father...

Thanks for the responses everyone. I do feel more confidant. :grouphugg:

I don't plan on racing her, but at some point, I might see what she can do out of curiosity. I'm nearly 30 too, and I don't like being pushed to hard in the high end... Haha...

That didn't sound right... :eek7:

Dracula
03-28-2012, 08:04 PM
The rumblings I heard were actually from my father. Where he heard it, I don't really know... Maybe he was just being a overly concerned father...

Thanks for the responses everyone. I do feel more confidant. :grouphugg:

I don't plan on racing her, but at some point, I might see what she can do out of curiosity. I'm nearly 30 too, and I don't like being pushed to hard in the high end... Haha...

That didn't sound right... :eek7:

There's a thread for that, RIGHT HERE (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3304-Single-guy-in-search-of-female-companionship-for-DCS-2012)!

Don Camillo
04-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Hi,

maybe this thread helps a little on the numbers: DMC competition comparison PDF (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3616-Original-DMC-Sports-Car-competition-comparison&p=50990#post50990)

Best wishes
Don

Jimmyvonviggle
04-10-2012, 06:39 PM
There's a thread for that, RIGHT HERE (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3304-Single-guy-in-search-of-female-companionship-for-DCS-2012)!

That made me laugh.:smile: