PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with bicycles?

qwerk
01-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Anyone on here good with bicycle repair? I've been having a strange problem with my bike lately where the rear wheel gets all out of whack after riding it a few miles (10 or 20ish). Looking at it from the rear, the spokes on the right side have become almost flat. That is, the spokes are in almost the same "plane" as the wheel, if that makes sense. Looking at it from the top, the wheel appears to have rotated counter-clockwise, as the front of the wheel now rubs against the left seat stay (I think that's what it's called).

This is the second wheel this has happened to, so I'm guessing some part of the frame is out of alignment. I can provide pictures, if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance!

-Ben-

Michael
01-14-2012, 04:40 PM
As far as the spokes, that's normal. They are seated that way to make room for the cassette and still have the tire centerline with the frame and front tire.

About the tire rubbing the frame, I'm not sure I follow, but the only thing that keeps the wheel in place is the hub. You may have worn out the hub bearings or the freewheel bearings being its the back tire. This is not a very easy section to be working on, and it does require a few special tools to pull the cassette. My advice is take it to a bicycle repair shop, I'm always surprised how cheap they are when I take mine in.

xjoshsmallx
01-15-2012, 04:00 AM
I ride fixed gear bikes, and build them as well.
My best answer is to take it to your local bike shop, and have them true your wheel (the rim is bent, correct?) and play with your spoke tension.