PDA

View Full Version : Video bob and his 100% movie replica auction

The Aviator
01-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Guys I was curious awhile ago video bob put his movie replica up for auction on some tv show. I was wondering if it ever aired? I was searching on YouTube but couldn't find anything

Does anyone know if it aired? How much it went for?

thirdmanj
01-14-2012, 04:05 PM
I remember he didn't look very happy after the sale... He was just so sure it was gonna go for six figures or something.

stevedmc
01-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Did Bob get his tv show?

The Aviator
01-14-2012, 05:20 PM
I remember he didn't look very happy after the sale... He was just so sure it was gonna go for six figures or something.

I know it was filmed, just never heard the results or see anything on tv

Did Bob get his tv show?

I remember him saying they were filming but never got a date of airing, and this is awhile ago now

DL4567
01-14-2012, 07:10 PM
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1049-Delorean-sold-on-AUCTION-KINGS-Discovery-Channel&highlight=videobob

The Aviator
01-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Oh man that's awesome thanks!!

timothymoore
01-14-2012, 11:33 PM
has anyone else seen his new non screen accurate replica on ebay for 65k?

Coulombe
01-15-2012, 08:17 AM
has anyone else seen his new non screen accurate replica on ebay for 65k?

Yes, He/VB made sure I saw it by emailing the link to my personal email. From what I read he doesn't state it is "non-screen accurate". His listing reads more about him. IMO I think he's trying to sell himself more than the car.

But, this thread is about VB's Auction King sale, SO..... I have to say, the guys/crew that Kevin Pike sent over to build the car for VB did a nice job. I personally think it was worth more than $55K. You got to be careful with auctions, it isn't just the item on sale, it's also the seller's reputation. In this case VB hurt himself by announcing that Kevin Pike is his sales agent and then VB boast and makes a video using Mr. Pike's testimonial as an unbiased critic to credit his building skills. You can't have it both ways. An agent wants the highest pay back on their 15%. Of coarse the agent is going to state the positive. People saw through this and the sale reflected it.

videobob
01-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Bruce, as usual, has some things wrong...

The entire episode of AUCTION KINGS featuring my car can be seen here:
http://youtu.be/0dXi6Gu96tE

Myself and my team built this car (and all 9 of my builds) myself.
I do the bulk of the work.
There are pre-built electronic parts that I buy from other people who I work closely
with and help to develop the props by providing reference material and test fitting.
I get help from my workers with some of the things that require an extra set of hands
ans some of the grunt work.
Kevin's only role in the car was the research he helped me with and then previewed
photos as it was built to give advice.

Here is a great video of Kevin and I doing research:
http://youtu.be/R4jggag4NSU

Yes, Kevin is my agent and books the car for me.
He was so impressed with my work that he insisted on representing me.

Kevin was brought in to the Auction Kings show to give his opinion on the car, that's it. Regardless of our relationship he is still the person who was the supervisor building the original cars and it is was his reputation on the line.
There is no doubt that this replica, my 6th, was one of the best ever built and the
first to have genuine neon on the car.
We expected it to fetch over $100K.
I turned down $75K before the auction and that person was supposed to be
one of the bidders but didn't make it.

That said, Gallery 63 is a rinky dink little auction house....
They promised all sorts of bidders but they put very little effort into advertising
or getting bidders.
Honestly, I brought the bidders to the auction being that they were potential customers. I learned later that there were 3 others who wanted to call in but they
only had 2 phone lines!!!
I had a reserve on the car, so the selling price you saw on TV was not what it actually
sold for, it sold for more, an undisclosed amount to a private buyer.

Paul Brown, who runs the auction, was hopped up on cocaine and a total pain in the ass. The entire crew hated him.
He was difficult to work with and did not live up to all his agreements.
He had agreed to waive my auction fees but went ahead and took them out of my
payment anyway and then told me "oh well, sue me if you want it".
A lot of the crew quit after that episode because of his attitude.
His little bit of fame went to his head hard and fast!!!!

While appearing on the show I made friends with some of the camera operators and producers who were very impressed with my work.
They came to my shop and shot a "pilot" episode and are shopping it now.
I have met with them in Hollywood several times and we are in negotiations with a major network. I am under contract and can not reveal who we are talking to or any details.
I have shown part of my "sizzle reel" to some people but I am supposed to keep that stuff under wraps.
These shows take a long time to develop, there are so many agents, lawyers, negotiations, clearances, etc. etc....
You can be sure that I will let everyone know what is going on as soon as I can.

Now, on to the car on eBay.
This was my 2nd build and I have had it in my possession since I built it.
This car is part of a 4 car package I am building for a client.
He has informed me that he is in financial trouble and will not be able to finish our deal so I am going to sell off some of his projects....it's a long story but the car is
mine with a clear title.
It is on eBay accepting offers.

Considering that some replicas have fetched around $100K and one of the screen used
cars just sold for half a million....ya can't blame a guy for trying!!!

If you would like your Delorean converted into a TIME MACHINE please contact me for details. Thanks!!!

thirdmanj
01-15-2012, 12:43 PM
If you would like your Delorean converted into a TIME MACHINE please contact me for details. Thanks!!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/46a05796-1029-48ea.jpg

;)

dvonk
01-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Paul Brown, who runs the auction, was hopped up on cocaine and a total pain in the ass. The entire crew hated him.
He was difficult to work with and did not live up to all his agreements.
He had agreed to waive my auction fees but went ahead and took them out of my
payment anyway and then told me "oh well, sue me if you want it".
A lot of the crew quit after that episode because of his attitude.
His little bit of fame went to his head hard and fast!!!!

you know, that guy always got on my nerves. i like the stuff they find/sell on the show but i cant stand watching it--mainly because i get the feeling that he is a total prick. i guess its nice to know that there is a valid reason i dont like him... it wasnt 'just me.'

he gives off that vibe. :umm:

SIMid
01-16-2012, 12:59 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/46a05796-1029-48ea.jpg

;)

:lol:

+1

01955 is too good to hack into. Maybe Bill (will.i.shit) might want to upgrade on his modifications?

congerz83
01-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Keep your head up VB, I still think what you do is great. I justt wish more people would opt for the reactor instead of Mr. Fusion.

Ryan
01-16-2012, 11:14 AM
I saw the car in person at the auction house. I'm no expert on replicas, but from a bttf stand point it looked good. However, I was more interested in the condition of the actual delorean. Not sure how it drove, but cosmetically it was nothing to write home about and from that stand point i'm not sure who in their right mind would pay so much for it. Just my humble two cents, but what's the point of buying a prop car if the car under it all isn't exceptional? No slight to VB, just a general question I have about all the bttf build deloreans.

awildermode
01-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Keep your head up VB, I still think what you do is great. I justt wish more people would opt for the reactor instead of Mr. Fusion.

I like the reactor version, too.

thirdmanj
01-16-2012, 11:45 AM
I just don't understand that level of geekness. I mean, I understand if ones exposure to the DMC-12 was through BTTF, but in truth its just a footnote in the cars history. I was first introduced to the DeLorean by an old Cutty Sark ad and subsequently (thanks to my brother) to BTTF. But once I started my research, in the first five minutes I realized that there was much more to the car than it being a film prop. The morei see those replicas, the uglier they get.

nullset
01-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I just don't understand that level of geekness. I mean, I understand if ones exposure to the DMC-12 was through BTTF, but in truth its just a footnote in the cars history.

You and others here can keep saying that, but I strongly disagree. Most Americans today that have heard of the Delorean have only heard of it through BTTF. In fact, many younger people don't even know that the Delorean existed apart from the movie.

I'd say the car would've long ago faded into obscurity if not for the movie.

thirdmanj
01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Don't get me wrong, big fuckin' footnote. But I'd be willing to wager that an original looking DMC-12 has a larger fan base than Time Machine replicas. I'd even go so far as to say that a greater number of those geeks that do grow up (myself included) and pursue and finally do purschase a DeLorean do so because of the attractiveness of the original design. In other words they seek out a DeLorean... Not a Time Machine copy. The true brilliance of the Time Machine was that it kept with the DMC-12s original form and left it recognizable under all the gizmo crap.

pezzonovante88
01-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Don't get me wrong, big fuckin' footnote. But I'd be willing to wager that an original looking DMC-12 has a larger fan base than Time Machine replicas. I'd even go so far as to say that a greater number of those geeks that do grow up (myself included) and pursue and finally do purschase a DeLorean do so because of the attractiveness of the original design. In other words they seek out a DeLorean... Not a Time Machine copy. The true brilliance of the Time Machine was that it kept with the DMC-12s original form and left it recognizable under all the gizmo crap.

I kind of agree. I fell in love with the DeLorean before seeing BTTF. I LOVE BTTF, but I love the DeLorean as an actual car, not as a movie prop. Though the time machines are pretty cool to see, I wouldn't want to see SO many original cars hacked up. In some ways I wish the car wasn't so recognizable and associated with the movie . I'd almost rather it be a very obscure car that no one knows about when they catch a glimpse of one. But, we must all be thankful for the movie because without it, owning a DeLorean may not have become so (relatively) easy.

nimaside
01-17-2012, 02:28 PM
If I had the money, I'd have one Delorean with some mods, and one bttf conversion for when I want to really turn heads. I love all the comments on youtube videos when they see a Bttf delorean drive by. So many say "that maybe that's one they used in the movie).
I really appreciate the work u do Video Bob. Your very talented.

thirdmanj
01-17-2012, 02:34 PM
If I had the money, I'd have one Delorean with some mods, and one bttf conversion for when I want to really turn heads. I love all the comments on youtube videos when they see a Bttf delorean drive by. So many say "that maybe that's one they used in the movie).

:asskissing:

Awwwe, it didn't work?

Edit: Jus kiddin', that wasn't done in a mean spirit. Just a joke.

videobob
01-19-2012, 08:13 AM
I saw the car in person at the auction house. I'm no expert on replicas, but from a bttf stand point it looked good. However, I was more interested in the condition of the actual delorean. Not sure how it drove, but cosmetically it was nothing to write home about and from that stand point i'm not sure who in their right mind would pay so much for it. Just my humble two cents, but what's the point of buying a prop car if the car under it all isn't exceptional? No slight to VB, just a general question I have about all the bttf build deloreans.

I try to use less than perfect Deloreans when ever possible, as a fan of Deloreans it does pain me to convert a good car. I recently did a conversion on a show room condition car and I did wince a little doing it....but that's business!!!

Thank you so much for the compliment.
The thing I stress to my potential customers is that these conversion cars can literally change your life. Although the Delorean gets attention, there is nothing that does it like the BTTF car.
If you research "number 1 movie car" and related searches you will see that the Time Machine usually is at the top of that list.
I know I can take this BTTF car to any car show and I will dominate the attention.
There is no other car you can buy for the same amount of money that will totally stop traffic like the Time Machine.
Consider that you would spend more on a new Cadillac Escalade and who would care?
A Hummer 2? (yaaaaawnnnn).
But if you have the extra money to spend and you are a car collector,
(many of my customers own more than 20 - 100 cars)
Then the price tag vs. what you get it is pretty cheap.
Some people have questioned the value of the conversion vs. the value of the conversion....my response to that is the comparison of some art supplies
and a fine work of art.
It's all the same materials, it's just how you arrange them.
I'm a time machinist and an artist.
The Delorean is my canvas.
- Videobob

BTTF-1
01-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Well Spoken!

Ed:drummer::thumbup2:

Ron
01-19-2012, 09:39 AM

j/k

thirdmanj
01-19-2012, 11:31 AM

j/k

I heard the story behind that was Leonardo was standing on the edge of his toilet hanging clock, the porcelain was wet, he slipped, hit his head and when he came to he had a revelation, a vision! Thus we have the Mona Lisa...

j/k

SIMid
01-19-2012, 10:07 PM
I heard the story behind that was Leonardo was standing on the edge of his toilet hanging clock, the porcelain was wet, he slipped, hit his head and when he came to he had a revelation, a vision! Thus we have the Mona Lisa...

j/k

Seen the Robot Chicken interpretation? LMAO

It is a work of art, and I would have one if money is no object.

Ryan
01-19-2012, 10:39 PM
- Videobob

Actually, you're a tracer.

thirdmanj
01-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Actually, you're a tracer.

Ooooooo, buuuuurn....

Ron
01-20-2012, 06:16 AM

j/kAre you after one of my nerd cards??? If so, Flux you too!

hassyfoto
01-20-2012, 08:31 PM

I will second your comment. I have a Delorean with only 11,000 miles & it will stay stock ( for the most part). But if I had the money ( maybe if I hit the lotto), I would own my current car in stock form & have a Time Machine also. As stated elsewhere, most of the public associates a Delorean from the movie and how the car looks in the movie. It would be fun to own a time machine just as many custom made cars are a lot of fun to own.
The bottom line is, what each person wants out of thier car. If building a movie replica that attracts public interest is your cup of tea, so be it. If owning a concours original car is your cup of tea, so be it, but 90 percent of the cars on the road have some modifications ( ie: tires, coolant tank, radios, electronics, etc...)

I enjoy reading everyone's viewpoint on the subject & respect everyone's opinion to own the car in the condition that they feel best respresents thier interest in the hobby.