PDA

View Full Version : Engine hoses

jfirios
01-19-2012, 07:53 PM
I am running wires and I noticed the pannel in the engine bay right by the antenna on the drivers side. I removed the panel with three hoses going through it. The hoses just end there, they are not connected to anything they are just open there in that compartment where the antenna is. Is that normal? Are they to be hooked to something or are they just breather hoses?

sdg3205
01-19-2012, 07:56 PM
I am running wires and I noticed the pannel in the engine bay right by the antenna on the drivers side. I removed the panel with three hoses going through it. The hoses just end there, they are not connected to anything they are just open there in that compartment where the antenna is. Is that normal? Are they to be hooked to something or are they just breather hoses?

They are supposed to be hooked up to your carbon canister. Looks like yours is missing.

jfirios
01-19-2012, 08:11 PM
there should be a carbon canister in that area? interesting. What is that canister suposto do ?

jawn101
01-19-2012, 08:22 PM
there should be a carbon canister in that area? interesting. What is that canister suposto do ?

It absorbs gasoline fumes when the car is parked. Also if your hoses don't go anywhere, that's a massive vacuum leak in your system. Are they plugged with end caps or anything?

http://store.delorean.com/c-275-2-4-0-evaporative-control-systems.aspx - item #13

jfirios
01-20-2012, 12:16 AM
nope they were cut in the compartment and everything was removed. I already talked to danny at DMC Cali and he is shipping me the whole assembly. Should have it all back in on tuesday. Wonder how it will be with that installed. I am rebuilding the interior and rewireing the car. The PO was a complete knuckle head and had stuff all over the place. God knows what he was thinking, or what garage he was taking the car too. I am glad she has a new home. :)

Rich
01-20-2012, 01:34 AM
If your car doesn't still have the vacuum line routing label on the bottom of the engine cover then you'll need this diagram to show you which hose connects to which port on your new canister:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1156-Vacuum-Hose-Diagram

jfirios
01-20-2012, 10:47 AM
I do still have that, I ordered the new one already, and it should be here this week. I did though find the old one, it was detatched and wedged in the bottom of that compartment. God knows how long it has been there. On the bottom of the canister is another hose, where does that go to? and according to the diagram only three of the 4 ports on top get used the carbon bowl port is left open is that right?

jawn101
01-20-2012, 10:51 AM
I do still have that, I ordered the new one already, and it should be here this week. I did though find the old one, it was detatched and wedged in the bottom of that compartment. God knows how long it has been there. On the bottom of the canister is another hose, where does that go to? and according to the diagram only three of the 4 ports on top get used the carbon bowl port is left open is that right?

Correct. Only 3 hoses connect to the canister, one has a blanking cap installed. The blanking cap helps maintain the vacuum integrity of the system, so don't skip that. The bottom hose is a vent, that just dangles in the pontoon. I think it might have originally been intended to sit in the hole at the bottom of the pontoon but it's basically impossible (at least on my car) to get that lined up and install the canister.

David T
01-20-2012, 12:17 PM
The bottom vent hose does go through the hole in the bottom of the pontoon. Should be a grommet in the hole. It is NOT impossible to do it, you just have to know the "trick"!
Stick a thin, flexible wire up through the hole from under the car and stick it inside the vent hose and use it as a "guide wire" to feed the vent hose into the grommet. make sure the vent hose is not plugged up with the wire. You can also remove the bottom of the canister. Inside is a large, flat, round, filter. You can get them at most auto stores if you want to change it.
David Teitelbaum

jawn101
01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
The bottom vent hose does go through the hole in the bottom of the pontoon. Should be a grommet in the hole. It is NOT impossible to do it, you just have to know the "trick"!
Stick a thin, flexible wire up through the hole from under the car and stick it inside the vent hose and use it as a "guide wire" to feed the vent hose into the grommet. make sure the vent hose is not plugged up with the wire. You can also remove the bottom of the canister. Inside is a large, flat, round, filter. You can get them at most auto stores if you want to change it.
David Teitelbaum

That's a pretty good idea actually. A coat hanger should do the trick. It just never seemed that vital since the pontoon is plenty well ventilated.

David T
01-20-2012, 03:35 PM
It may be "ventilated" but you still don't want it to fill with fuel vapors. Having the hose protrude out the bottom gets the fumes out of the car.
David Teitelbaum

jfirios
01-20-2012, 09:20 PM
couldn't you use a longer hose and just feed it though the hole then cut the excess off from underneath?

jawn101
01-20-2012, 09:37 PM
couldn't you use a longer hose and just feed it though the hole then cut the excess off from underneath?

Might work once, but the canister needs to come out any time you go into that pontoon... :) The wire hanger trick sounds really promising with the existing hose.