PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning seatbelts in my DD

Dangermouse
01-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Don't know that any D wisdom will be useful here, but this group has very varied skilz, so you never know.

My DD has light tan colored seatbelts which are filthy (PO obviously :) ). I have tried a couple of automotive cleaning products but to no avail.

Checking the ol' Google recommends many options from baking soda to pressure washing.

Anyone have any personally tried tips that won't make the material disintegrate, which would be bad. (I trust you guys much more that the Interweb Trolls)

pezzonovante88
01-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Seatbelts are REALLY hard to clean. You could try some foaming interior cleaner and a hard'ish' toothbrush, and then some soap and water. My detailer buddy said any chemical he has tried causes the belts to fray.

Michael
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
My goto interior cleaner is "Tuff Stuff" sold at just about anywhere. Big yellow and red can...its pretty good stuff as it foams and pulls dirt away from the fibers. For really dirty jobs, I soak it down, let it sit then vacum hard, then another application and lots of scrubbing with a stiff nylon short bristle brush, repeat vacum.

For seatbelts however, you really don't want to scrub as it will fuzz up the tightly wound fibers of the belt and work the dirt in deeper. Saturate the area, then after allowing it to sit for a few minutes, wipe it down with a clean cloth. Repeat as needed until clean. Usually even the dirtiest seatbelts come pretty clean as the fibers are so closely packed together that dirt stays on the surface. On really dirty belts, a soft toothbrush or soft wheelbrush can be used as long as you don't get carried away. Try to avoid chemical solvents as a lot of seatbelts have nylon in them and it may not only damage the looks, but comprimise the belt's number one duty!

Tuff Stuff is pretty good, but keep it away from anything leather coated(it will soften the dye) and don't use it on anything with ink print on it, (like turn signal stalks, wiper switches, etc.) as it will remove the print.

Dangermouse
01-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks. I saw a couple of references to Tuff Stuff. I'll try that first with a cloth and some patience