PDA

View Full Version : General Craig Radio Value

Jimmycxc
01-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Just wondering what a fair value of an original radio in good working condition is? This would be from an 83.

thirdmanj
01-24-2012, 06:59 AM
To my knowledge, they are readily available. So I don't imagine it would be much more than one from DMCH, or other such vendor.

Nicholas R
01-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Just wondering what a fair value of an original radio in good working condition is? This would be from an 83.

Just fyi, I'm pretty sure the 83's did not have Craig Radios but rather ASI Radios (vin 10304 and up). For reference:
Craig
http://store.delorean.com/images/Product/medium/100441.JPG
http://store.delorean.com/p-7230-amfm-cassette-radio-craig.aspx

ASI
http://store.delorean.com/images/Product/medium/110687.JPG
http://store.delorean.com/p-7231-amfm-cassette-radio-asi.aspx

Also according to the DMCH website the Craig radio is still available but the ASI is not which may influence the value.

Despite DMCH selling them for $488.00, I've seen Craigs go for the neighborhood of $100 on ebay; some more some less. ASI though, no idea.

Iznodmad
01-24-2012, 01:06 PM
As noted in the other original radio thread, there are actually 2 versions of the Craig. One version (earlier VINs) without clock, and one with integrated clock. The link to DMCH Craig radios are with clock, which must mean they don't have (or offer to the general public) the earlier versions without the clock. I think the value in any of these are simply how bad someone wants an original part and how much money they are willing to part with to get the part.

thirdmanj
05-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Happy day!! I got my Craig radio back from DMCFL. It was removed while 1258 was down there for a Stage II and other such upgrades, the head unit and sound system being one of them. Well when I picked up the D in 2007 I forgot to ask for my old Craig unit back (and my damaged hood, but I'll leave that one alone). Well Ryan helped me ou s few days ago witha key issue. I mentioned the radio thing in the conversation and he got it back to ME!!! Thanks DMCFL!!

Jimmycxc
05-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Looks like I have an ASI radio. Always thought it was a Craig. If anyone is interested in purchasing it, feel free to send me a message.

David T
05-17-2012, 04:12 PM
The ASI is a little better than the Craig but not much. The Craig has the display on the little door and after a while the flexible circuit board breaks and you lose the display. Both radios are woefully underpowered (8 watts per channel) so by today's standards they are awful. They are also analog and have poor reception for weak signals. About the only reason anyone would want an ASI is for originality, certainly not for sound! The clock doesn't even keep good time!
David Teitelbaum

QUOTE=Jimmycxc;56429]Looks like I have an ASI radio. Always thought it was a Craig. If anyone is interested in purchasing it, feel free to send me a message.[/QUOTE]

Jimmycxc
05-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Anybody know what a fair price for an ASI radio is?

SamHill
05-18-2012, 08:31 AM
They are crap. If another Delorean owner wants it, do him a solid and let him pay for shipping.

DeLorean
05-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Anybody know what a fair price for an ASI radio is?

I would say $20-100. I'd offer you $50, as my craig has just started rejecting my tape adapter.

David T
05-18-2012, 09:44 AM
For someone looking for originality, if the radio is clean, in working condition, and the wires are not hacked up it can be worth as much as $100.
David Teitelbaum

I would say $20-100. I'd offer you $50, as my craig has just started rejecting my tape adapter.

Notifier
05-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Not to get too off topic, but what would be a "good" replacement for the Craig/ASI radio? Something period appropriate. I know there are the Retrosound radios but they seem to get mixed reviews.

David T
05-18-2012, 12:06 PM
It all has to do with your budget and what you want to install. Today there are many more things you can add then back when the cars were made. You can get a DIN mount and install just about anything. There are also "stealth" radios that look "old school" but can do all of the modern functions. Take a look over at crutchfield.com
If you upgrade the radio you should also upgrade the speakers and wiring and possibly the antennae, especially if you go with satellite radio. If you have a smartphone maybe you don't need to do anything with the radio. The phone can do GPS and music.
David Teitelbaum

Not to get too off topic, but what would be a "good" replacement for the Craig/ASI radio? Something period appropriate. I know there are the Retrosound radios but they seem to get mixed reviews.

Notifier
05-18-2012, 05:03 PM
It all has to do with your budget and what you want to install. Today there are many more things you can add then back when the cars were made. You can get a DIN mount and install just about anything. There are also "stealth" radios that look "old school" but can do all of the modern functions. Take a look over at crutchfield.com
If you upgrade the radio you should also upgrade the speakers and wiring and possibly the antennae, especially if you go with satellite radio. If you have a smartphone maybe you don't need to do anything with the radio. The phone can do GPS and music.
David Teitelbaum

My preference would be to install a radio that looks like it belongs in a car from 1981. Almost all of the radios I see with the flashy lights and color graphics just don't fit. They stand out like a sore thumb. My ideal radio would blend right in with the dash - I think the original radios do a good job on that. I would love to find something basic that has an aux input. I actually have a Kenwood system that has a 20GB hard drive and Sirius tuner I can add to any system through the antenna or aux input. So I don't need the head unit to do anything beyond amplify the signal. And yea, need to upgrade the wiring and speakers. I think I have one good working speaker and the power antenna is shot (have it taped up right now).

thirdmanj
05-18-2012, 05:11 PM
My preference would be to install a radio that looks like it belongs in a car from 1981. Almost all of the radios I see with the flashy lights and color graphics just don't fit. They stand out like a sore thumb. My ideal radio would blend right in with the dash - I think the original radios do a good job on that. I would love to find something basic that has an aux input. I actually have a Kenwood system that has a 20GB hard drive and Sirius tuner I can add to any system through the antenna or aux input. So I don't need the head unit to do anything beyond amplify the signal. And yea, need to upgrade the wiring and speakers. I think I have one good working speaker and the power antenna is shot (have it taped up right now).

Don't they make "Retro radios" that are CD MP3 players that look like old radios? I coulda sworn I've seen those advertised.

dvonk
05-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Don't they make "Retro radios" that are CD MP3 players that look like old radios? I coulda sworn I've seen those advertised.

yes, the Retrosound Model One is a decent facsimile to stock. see Kenny's install thread here: Retrosound Model One install (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2986-Retrosound-Model-One-install)

i do recall at least one user on the forum having issues with reliability with the Retrosound... here is the feedback thread (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1140-RetroSound-radios-post-your-feedback-here) where various users posted their impressions.

DMCMW Dave
05-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Not sure if it is still around but I was in Pep Boys a while ago and they actually had a radio that would fit the original DMC radio plate without cutting. I think it was about $69. A real cheapie but it looked like it would fit.