PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought a Flux Cap.... To Big and Heavy!!! Ideas!!

JIMJAM
01-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Not a huge BTTF fanatic but after hearing " Wheres the flux cap?" just about evertime I drive the D, I ran across one and bought it. It was one of those 3 year impulse buys hahaha and I wished I had done my homework first.
The flux cap is one of those made by Diamond limited edition. I know I know its does not flux the correct direction or the correct color but like I said, I just wanted to point and go, " the flux is right freakin there."
When it arrived I thought the box had a concrete block inside. Opened it and man this thing is HUGE and HEAVY. For a collector its overbuilt and impressive but to toss in the back for some laughs once in a while I mighta wasted my money.
My plan was to mount it on the back shelf in a way that I could quickly take it in and out. Well so much for that. At I am guessing 15 pounds or more its a missle and needs to be secure. Those hooks that the netting attach to could be used to attach the top but I doubt their strenght. At 17 inches tall , its to high to stand up straight so I need to lean it.
I am not going for a movie presentation but just want to be able to attach it once and awhile without drilling any noticable holes into the car. If you have one of these monster fluxes and have found a way to mount it plz let me know what you did. Thanks...

thirdmanj
01-24-2012, 11:09 AM
I did the same thing. I felt it was worth the money just to have a smartass answer for a dumbass question. I got the same one you describe. I put it in there when I go out at night and for the occasional car show. You'll be amazed at the crowd it draws with the flux capacitor lighting up at night outside a restaurant. It'll double because of that stupid light up box, but it's still fun.

You can stand it up in between the two center cargo net hooks and attach zip-ties through the mounting holes of the box and through the hooks. But if you leave it like that for an extended period the bottom edge of the unit will make a divet in the carpet. I also took off that top pipe looking thing because it got in the way. Enjoy!!

JIMJAM
01-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the reply...
Yeah first thing I did was remove the pipe. I drew out this elaborate angled holder, almost like a slanted speaker cab to fit the flux but in the end I figured I would have just a larger more heavy thingamajig to secure and remove.
Your idea is what Ive decided on. Just want to put something under it to help absorb the shock to it when hitting bumps.
I figure now that I have a flux nobody will ask me!

thirdmanj
01-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Yeah.. Flux 'em. 8)

jangell
01-24-2012, 12:03 PM
I didn't like how the lights blinked, so I disassembled it and used an Arduino micro controller and some tricolor LEDs to make a smoother chaser pattern. I then wrote an application to let me control the pulse speed from my computer, and to change the colors between red and white. I'm almost done turning it into a glorified CPU monitor (pulse speed) and memory free monitor (red when <20% of memory is free). It's powered via USB, so I can leave it on all the time.

I think it takes up too much space to keep it in my car, but it is impressively built, and I may put it in there for car shows and such. Once my car is running again, that is.

I eventually plan on putting a computer in the car, and I'll likely have a software flux capacitor running on that. I've also wondered if you could take the flux capacitor out of its box and mount it in the rear board, thus making it more flush with the back of the parcel shelf. The door would be the only part of the case that was used. I'm just not sure if there's enough space behind the back board for that. Also, I don't really want to spend the money on a second one of these just for that. :) Although if I did I'd probably rig it up to the speedometer and have it pulse based on my current speed.

-- Joe

Mark D
01-24-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure how accurately sized or shaped the diamond select flux capacitors are... if you guys are doing all kinds of custom mods on your flux it's worth considering getting a real fiberglass enclosure. They are manufactured by Stahlin (pronounced stay-lin). P/N is J1210HPL.

There are online distributors that sell them, and they also pop up on ebay from time to time.

The only thing is you'll need to cut a hole for the window and install a piece of plexi with 1" window gasket from Stanpro.

jangell
01-24-2012, 12:31 PM
I just checked eBay and came across this unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Back-Future-Delorean-Time-Machine-Flux-Capacitor-BTTF-movie-replica-/120839246102?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c22949116#ht_2678wt_1161

It's close to 2x the price of the Diamond replica, but has more lights on the 'arms' (four vs. three), extra lights around the box and in the center for the "you hit 88 MPH" effect, a different color box, more opaque diffusers, a wireless remote, and comes in "movies version" size and a smaller "DeLorean cargo area" size. Plus a few other differences.

-- Joe

Mark D
01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
sounds like you found bruce coulombe's listing. His FC's are a step up from the diamond select version. If you want true accuracy though or you are into customizing it to be unique you are probably better off building your own. sounds like you got the electronics part of it figured out yourself. the rest is pretty simple.. probably the most difficult part is deciding if you are OK with replica relay assemblies or if you want real glass.

oh, and each relay leg should have 6 sequentially flashing incandescent bulbs (or LED's if you prefer) and the corner and center lighting are halogens. if you are wanting it to function as it did on scrreen there should not be a strobing center light. The 6 chasing lights on each leg are running towards the center and in full on mode everything is steady lit.

jangell
01-24-2012, 03:22 PM
sounds like you found bruce coulombe's listing. His FC's are a step up from the diamond select version. If you want true accuracy though or you are into customizing it to be unique you are probably better off building your own. sounds like you got the electronics part of it figured out yourself. the rest is pretty simple.. probably the most difficult part is deciding if you are OK with replica relay assemblies or if you want real glass.

I actually find the electronics to be easier. :) It's mostly finding and fabbing parts that I find more troublesome. Still, I'm tempted to build one that could be installed in the parcel shelf back wall, but I have a few too many projects going right now to really research it and get all the parts. I figure it doesn't have to be perfect, though, since your average, "Do you have a flux capacitor?" question guy won't know that it's not quite screen accurate.

oh, and each relay leg should have 6 sequentially flashing incandescent bulbs (or LED's if you prefer)

Ironically enough, the pulsing effect on my LEDs to get rid of the harsh on/off effect and wound up emulating the slower on/off of incandescents.

and the corner and center lighting are halogens. if you are wanting it to function as it did on scrreen there should not be a strobing center light. The 6 chasing lights on each leg are running towards the center and in full on mode everything is steady lit.

I saw some debate about if there should be 3, 4 or 6 LEDs per arm. I didn't know about the halogens, although they did seem very bright for LEDs.

Thanks for the info.

-- Joe

JIMJAM
01-24-2012, 03:55 PM
My local coin dealer and car nutt has been asking "wheres the flux capacitor" for 2 years. When I walked in today, he announced to everyone, Its the Delorean guy. Another guy ask, "does it have a flux capacitor."
Well the day I have dreamed of had arrived. I told the owner "Come here..."
We walked outside and BAM, "Theres the freakin flux capacitor!!!!!"
It was worth every cent to see his reaction.

If I can add my 2 cents to any owner considering getting one just to do what I did I have a few suggestions.
Get the 2nd Diamond release. I understand its slightly smaller and ligher. Also being able to remotely turn the strobes on/off is worth the extra $$$ imo. If you are in 350-400 might as well go all the way and get the latest with remote for a couple hundred more.
But as is the collectable limited Dimaond is fine for those "wheres the flux?" I am happy with what I have. I simply used 2 tie wraps and went throught the 2 holes drilled into the case on each top end of the box and wrapped the around the hooks that the netting attached to.

Question- I know blue lights and maybe red are illegal but can you legally turn the strobes on at night while driving? Doubt I will but it would be fun to do once you have someones attention. Again the remote would come in real handy.

thirdmanj
01-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Question- I know blue lights and maybe red are illegal but can you legally turn the strobes on at night while driving? Doubt I will but it would be fun to do once you have someones attention. Again the remote would come in real handy.

I don't do it just for that reason. I'm not sure it's legal for one. Also because I feel the DeLorean is enough of a distraction as it is. Start turning on flashing lights and shit.... Well you get the idea. Between people texting and taking pictures while driving I feel the least I can do is not give them one more distraction.

Nicholas R
01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Just fyi, the DST Flux Capacitors currently being sold (those without the center strobe light) do pulse the proper direction (from the outside in). It is only the first run, that had both the cascading lights and the center strobe light, that cascaded in the wrong direction, (from the inside out).

JIMJAM
01-24-2012, 10:09 PM
If I run across somebody that notices the flux lights go in the wrong direction I will let you know.:tongue:

Dracula
01-25-2012, 11:17 AM
I tried displaying the car at a few shows with that stupid blinking box and, let me tell you, if you don't watch people EVERY SECOND it can compound your problems. I've had people knock my car out of gear trying to take a picture of it and the parking brake doesn't do the best job of securing the car, unfortunately. Though, the worst was when a guy leaning in spilled soda on my driver's seat. I had to power wash my floor mat to get it out and spent several hours cleaning up the residue. He apologized up and down and it took every bit of my self control to not freak out and scream at him until my lungs burst. Needless to say, I will NEVER put it back in for car shows.