PDA

View Full Version : General Driving a DeLorean--- What are your impressions?

Mike C.
01-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Recent engine swap topic made this pop into my head again. I know this was a thread on the old site, so I figured I would get everyone's opinions here.

What are your thoughts/experiences/impressions when you drive a DeLorean?

Chris Burns
01-25-2012, 08:06 AM
When I 1st drove one back in 2010 I had a blast doing it and ended up driving 3 of them as the year went on! I drove 2 manuals and one auto. They drive like a low slung go-kart. It's a LOT of fun (especially on corners!). No power steering of course, but my family has owned several cars with no power steering so it's no big deal to me.

The automatic cars are great for heavy traffic areas. They are a bit slower of the line than the manual cars, but not so slow that you won't have fun driving!

The manual cars are the peppiest of the 2 transmissions and are better suited for horsepower upgrades later on (if you wish to do so). The shift pattern was a little strange for me. As I was downshifting from 3rd gear to 2nd gear on one of the cars I drove it was difficult getting it into 2nd. I think this was caused by a bad 2nd gear roll pin.

These cars aren't road burners, but they are fun as hell to drive!!:deviltail: Personally I'm happy with the stock engine, but if I got a deal on a modified car that was done right and NOT HACKED up I would consider one also.

I hope to own one soon and judging by my driving/riding impressions I think I will have a great time!:Headspin:

Delorean Industries
01-25-2012, 08:23 AM
I remember my first impression when driving my first car. "Why the F*** did I buy an automatic" This was back in the glory days of the dml and the for sale section on DMCnews where you could find a great deal on a dmc. I quickly picked up a second car from Az that was a five speed.

jawn101
01-25-2012, 10:50 AM
The first time I test drove it my ears hurt from smiling so much. I got mine at a classic car consignment shop, and the sales guy was used to taking people out in Shelbys (real ones, even!) Ferarris, fastback Mustangs and split-window Vettes. I remember him looking at me from the passenger seat like I had twelve eyes as I teared up at every gear change.

Every time I get in I'm struck by how low it sits. You are really dragging your ass on the pavement in it, and that's why it feels so fast. The visibility is weird, the driving position is weird, everything about it is weird. And amazing. I love the way the vibrations from the engine feel so far away. I love the perfect gear ratios in the transmission. I love that even if a compact SUV rolls up next to me at a stoplight all I can see are their wheel hubs. Sometimes I wonder if people in tall pickups can see me next to them on the highway. I dread low-speed parking lot maneuvers as it takes all my strength to wrestle the front end into a space at 2 MPH. Hoping that will clear up with some new U-joints, but the lack of power steering will still stand. I'm frequently amazed at how a car with no sunroof can feel so open and airy inside. The huge windows contribute a lot to that.

It's a great car and a blast to drive, more fun than anything I've ever owned.

dmc6960
01-25-2012, 11:10 AM
This pretty much sums it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlNOwwQQJk

aludden
01-25-2012, 01:22 PM
I second all of the above! FWIW, my D automatic always felt like a dog, but I just did a major tune-up and injector cleaning, and I'm amazed at the difference. Love it! :driving1:

Jeff K
01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
I second all of the above! FWIW, my D automatic always felt like a dog, but I just did a major tune-up and injector cleaning, and I'm amazed at the difference. Love it! :driving1:

By some bizarre insanity, I own two. A stage 2 auto and a stock 5 speed.

Both are fun to drive, But I like the stock 5 speed a lot more. Smooth and quiet. Enough power for me. The auto will be the garage queen. It's just too loud and rough to be comfortable.

Michael
01-25-2012, 06:22 PM
I read your question this morning, and it really stayed with me...if I had to put into words, what is it like to drive? I wrote this in my head at work today and pounded it out when I got home. Hopefully it will convey(at least from my point of view)

I have been an owner of the Delorean DMC-12 for 3 years now. When many people see it, they always ask me "How's it drive?" or "How fast is it?", most of those questions are followed by misinformation about engine displacement, or general history of the company itself. With all the engine upgrades, suspension upgrades and driveline choices, I will refrain from the technical aspect of the question and focus on the “spiritual”. I will focus on the original question, or more to the point: What's it like to drive a Delorean?

To be honest, if most people were to get behind the wheel of this car, they would be disappointed. They would expect a sports car with performance close to the American muscle cars of the late 60's. Most people judge this car's performance by its looks. The sleek angles of the exterior scream sports car, but they would be wrong to do so. This car is not a rocket ship, it’s a touring machine unlike any other on the road.

As soon as you climb in to the cockpit, you see a nicely laid out interior and an eye pleasing environment. If you consider what era this car was born in, only then are you surprised by its contemporary looks that to this day look undated. I honestly think the interior is the most underappreciated part of the car. It gets left out of the spotlight which is tightly focused on the stainless steel skin and rising doors. The reason the interior becomes an afterthought is because this is a very well thought out design. Todays car interiors are all nice, but in the early 80's comfort and ergonomics had much to be desired. The Delorean however does not follow suit. The interior greets you with soft leather seats, and a warm feel to every surface. Everything is where it's supposed to be and easy to read. This is one of the gems of the Delorean, and to the driver, is just one reason they are so much fun to drive.

The moment you sit in the seat, you are taken aback by the position. The body is slightly reclined, but surprisingly comfortable. You wonder "how did they get so much headroom in this car?" A quick turn of the ignition sends the engine to life and you are ready to experience the drive itself.
The steering is not assisted by any dampening pumps, yet it’s light. You feel the road, but you never miss the watered down assistance of power steering. The handling is precise, yet comfortable, playing into the “touring” aspect of the car. The growl of the engine keeps you aware that this isn’t your neighbors Accord. This is a rear engine, rear wheel drive 2 seat sport touring machine.

This car was conceived during the dawn of the last great technological revolution. Our lives were getting ready to change on a level we would not realize for some time. The personal computer had just hit the market, followed by the mobile phone and microwave oven. Movies were capitalizing on jaw dropping special effects which amazed us. The Delorean embraced this new direction, and is now personified with this glorious time in our history. However, to truly appreciate it you must have a knowledge of its history. To understand where and how this car came to be gives you a deeper appreciation of what it is today. Only then will you have a window to what this car represents.

Driving enthusiasts look at raw performance numbers, they look at ¼ mile times and hp numbers. Delorean enthusiasts go a bit deeper. It’s not just about performance. It’s about the feeling of driving a vintage GT machine that always commands a second glance, and in most cases looks of wonder and awe. When driving the Delorean, you find yourself taking the long way home….you want to drive this car. The feeling of driving one is unlike any other car on the road, always leaving you with a big smile on your face…..and isn’t that what it’s all about?

jawn101
01-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Driving enthusiasts look at raw performance numbers, they look at ¼ mile times and hp numbers. Delorean enthusiasts go a bit deeper. It’s not just about performance. It’s about the feeling of driving a vintage GT machine that always commands a second glance, and in most cases looks of wonder and awe. When driving the Delorean, you find yourself taking the long way home….you want to drive this car. The feeling of driving one is unlike any other car on the road, and you will always wind up with a big smile on your face…..and isn’t that what it’s all about?

Your whole post was amazing but this last bit really says it all. Good show.

JIMJAM
01-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Drove my dads auto bought new 1981 and now own a 5 speed identical to it. My opinion has not changed much.
Back then it was like seeing the SR-71,Darth Vader or the stealth figher for the first time. Totally unrealible but man was it great when it ran. All 5 bought in Columbia were broke down within a month. But did I say it looked incredible!!
My impressions.
Vis is bad. 1st thing asap got convex side mirrors and a large rear view. I love it but alot of women find it claustrophobic. I took the D on many dates and all I got to say is thank goddness for the front truck area.lol
I have fat size 11 feet. Not good for the Delorean. I have almost had accidents because I wore sneakers. I now wear driving shoes.
Its noisy.The fiberglass reminds me of old a old Vett or kitcar which Ive owned many. The sound of sand from the road blasting the bottom urks me so I added 2 layers of Dynamat on the entire floorboard and rear wall. Its now not as loud and feels more solid.
Front end is light and I about busted my as* hydroplaning during a thunderstorm.
Added the front shock tower connector, best money spent imo, and also carry a floor jack, tool box,msc other tools up front. The added weight mage a HUGE differnce in handling. Lowering the car and using quality shocks just improves it.
So overall its a attractive oddball car that underpowered but tuned,5 speed and no passengers feels lively. Sitting so low,blending into the asphalt and attracting gawkers, enhancing your field of view is critical. I run with headlights on and also adding a 3rd brakelight up high is also a must.
Also, I waiting 3 years but go ahead and buy a FLUX CAPACITOR. Trust me. Ive had mine 2 days and its already paid for itself. Now when I get that question, I can now point and say. THERE IT IS!

SamHill
01-25-2012, 07:25 PM
I had read every driving account I could get my hands on for 20 years before I finally got 7041. I was prepared for the bad visibility and things like that.

As my car laid up for years, everything felt really awkward and notchy when I first got it back into operation. After driving it a while, everything seemed to loosen up and feel a bit more natural.

Roll into the corners still feels horrendous. Having a Miata as a daily driver will do a lot to create that impression.

I like the car a lot more with the lighter, free flowing exhaust and the ability to dump more fuel into the bowl than before.

Jonathan
01-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Your whole post was amazing but this last bit really says it all. Good show.

Nice write-up Michael. You hit the nail on the head. And might I add one more point, and that would be along the lines of what I believe was in your forum signature up until recently: "judge the DeLorean by how big your grin is when you drive one". A big part of how I feel when I'm in one is by the smiles on the faces of the people around me. A good nickname for the car could be SmileMaker :)

Jimmyvonviggle
01-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Sometimes I would reflect back to the first time I got my license, and what it was like to drive a car (any run down car, it doesn't matter). That feeling is hard to describe, but it is a sense of freedom and awe. Nowadays driving is boring and serves only to get you from point A to B.

When I took my first drive in my D I had the doors open, and loved how connected you feel with the car. You actually have to drive it, unlike modern cars where everything is power-assisted. That feeling I had once enjoyed as a teenager was back. I can't wait 'till next summer.

jfirios
01-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Honestly the first time i got my car off the trailer and drove it around the block. I thought to myself, MY GOD, what have I gotten myself into. It is been a lot of work and money getting her back to life, but has been worth it. I drive it now and Love every min of it. Working on the interior and looking forward to driving it after all that work is done.

QuadcityDMC
01-25-2012, 09:59 PM
My first time I could not drive it because I didnt know how to drive a stick :bawling: I got to ride in it alot. Now I know how to drive a stick and drive the car when ever I can. To me its like a big kid go-kart thats freking awsome.

I would like to drive a Auto to see how it feels but I am glad i got a 5 speed.

jfirios
01-25-2012, 10:20 PM
ohh yes be glad you had a 5 speed i keep hearing from people who have a auto, man i wish i had a 5 speed

Jonathan
01-25-2012, 10:58 PM
I have an automatic and I'm thrilled I don't have a manual.

thirdmanj
01-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Oh yeah!? Well I have an automatic-manual!! heh heh, j/k.. its a manual

She reminds me a lot of my '78 280Z, but a little cushier in the interior. I only drove 1258stock for about 4 months before she was upgraded to Stage II. With the engine and suspension upgrade she was a completely different car. I enjoy the "scraping the road" feel, visibility seems superior to modern sports cars, and the exhuast note trailing the car is unique. I feel that the Stage II configuration was how the car was supposed to be. Stock feel always felt a bit lacking, but the exhaust sounded more "european exotic" which was cool... I love it!!

Sidaries
01-26-2012, 06:36 AM
After the previous comments I cannot say much, just one thing.
When I took my first drive (30 miles) and stopped the car my first impression was that, "oh man, this is hard work" Until then I only drove new cars and the difference is big, but driving a Delorean is a real experience. Much better than the new ones. I love it.

Dangermouse
01-26-2012, 08:21 AM
I do a mean Elvis !

sorry, couldn't help it. Held off as long as I could. Thank you very much.....

Farrar
01-26-2012, 09:38 AM
I love it but alot of women find it claustrophobic.

Jim, I think I found your problem: have one woman at a time in the car. ;)

Farrar

jawn101
01-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Jim, I think I found your problem: have one woman at a time in the car. ;)

Farrar
http://www.winkyface.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Ed_McMahon_small.jpg
Hiyo!

Sidaries
01-26-2012, 10:27 AM
I read your question this morning, ... .and isn’t that what it’s all about?

BTW perfect post. If you don't mind I will make a translation on my blog tomorrow about it to Hungarian language.

Mike C.
01-26-2012, 10:54 AM
My DeLorean Driving Review:

It’s been a few years since I originally wrote my thoughts on driving a DeLorean, and since then I really don’t think my opinions have changed all that much, even with more seat time. I have owned my car now for over 3 years, and have logged quite a bit of seat time in this one. Prior to this, I had driven 6720 across Michigan while visiting the owner, and have driven quite a few others, all with the same feels.
When I first get into the car and shut the door, I notice my 6’1.5” self fits rather comfortably in my pod. I say pod because my head hits right in the door head pocket unless I recline my seat, which I do. The raked windshield visibility takes some getting used to. It’s kinda like looking out a little slit of a windshield. The A-pillars are nice and thin, so they really don’t take away from the visibility.
With a second person in the car, it is absolutely cramped feeling. I like knowing I have all that extra space to my left. The high center console is comfortable, but your elbow will definitely dig in if you are driving a 5 speed car. I can see why that area wears out so easily.

Foot room? What foot room? The pedals are too close together for my feet. I’m not exactly King Kong here. I wear a 10.5 wide sneaker and could stand to have the pedals spaced out a little more. Wearing boots and driving is a pain, so I always make sure I am in sneakers when I drive. Having the dead pedal helps on long drives. Being stretched out is comfortable enough.

The car has blind spots. Make no mistake. As someone mentioned earlier, make sure you get yourself a new set of convex side mirrors. The visibility out of the rear window is pretty much a joke as well. I end up triple checking for cars and clearance when driving. Backing up? Open that door up and stick your head out. Save yourself the aggravation of guessing.

Lets get on the road! I like the feel of the car when she’s going down the highway, but the feel of rolling on 14’s is not comfortable at highway speeds. I can feel those lil things screaming. The car’s suspension in stock form is adequate. You can feel every bump through the manual steering. I know some people will chime in that real sports cars don’t have power steering, but many do, and it is practical in city driving and parking. You can debate all day on that. Personally, I like power steering, especially with the shitty turning radius the D has. The car takes extra room to make a U-turn, so allow yourself a little jostling room.

The car is underpowered. I don’t care about 1981 numbers, because it’s not 1981. If you are looking for a performance car, this isn’t it. I will classify this car as a cruiser any day of the week, because when you’re doing about 45, it’s a fun car. Im not big on the arguments about modding the car, because if I were interested in modding the car the way I would, it would have a much bigger motor out back instead of a pricey cam upgrade, but that’s just me.

The car is low. I’ve actually gotten mine stuck on someone’s disrepaired driveway before. Im not a fan of the stock US height of the car, so why not drive one even lower? I like feeling the breeze on my ass when reflectors go by on the road. This really isn’t a gripe, I just think the car handles better when lowered.

Build quality? LOL. Plywood. Duct Tape. That’s all I’m going to say about that.

Ease of maintenance? Over all? No difference than most other cars. When you buy the car, bite the ol’ bullet and just order yourself calipers, brake lines, clutch lines, clutch master, brake master, clutch slave, bunch of brake fluid, and get to work. You’ll solve so many of your current/future problems by doing that.

In conclusion:
-visibility: below average, takes work due to blind spots
-comfort: for 1 person, decent. For 2, feels cramped
-foot room: Sucks. Pedals are too close together
- HP: Sucks. Underpowered by today’s standard
- drivability: at 45? She’s wonderful. At highway? Needs bigger rims because 14’s can only turn so fast…
- Build Quality: LOL. Spend time making it right.

Would I buy another one?
Probably. Too much history with the cars to just walk away totally. You have to take the bad (a lot) with the good (some). I think the flaws are what make it unique in a way. I will never ever say this is a GREAT car, or even the BEST car. I will say, it is one hell of a unique car, plus the kids seem to like it.

Chris Burns
01-26-2012, 11:42 AM
:ehh:
My DeLorean Driving Review:

It’s been a few years since I originally wrote my thoughts on driving a DeLorean, and since then I really don’t think my opinions have changed all that much, even with more seat time. I have owned my car now for over 3 years, and have logged quite a bit of seat time in this one. Prior to this, I had driven 6720 across Michigan while visiting the owner, and have driven quite a few others, all with the same feels.
When I first get into the car and shut the door, I notice my 6’1.5” self fits rather comfortably in my pod. I say pod because my head hits right in the door head pocket unless I recline my seat, which I do. The raked windshield visibility takes some getting used to. It’s kinda like looking out a little slit of a windshield. The A-pillars are nice and thin, so they really don’t take away from the visibility.
With a second person in the car, it is absolutely cramped feeling. I like knowing I have all that extra space to my left. The high center console is comfortable, but your elbow will definitely dig in if you are driving a 5 speed car. I can see why that area wears out so easily.

Foot room? What foot room? The pedals are too close together for my feet. I’m not exactly King Kong here. I wear a 10.5 wide sneaker and could stand to have the pedals spaced out a little more. Wearing boots and driving is a pain, so I always make sure I am in sneakers when I drive. Having the dead pedal helps on long drives. Being stretched out is comfortable enough.

The car has blind spots. Make no mistake. As someone mentioned earlier, make sure you get yourself a new set of convex side mirrors. The visibility out of the rear window is pretty much a joke as well. I end up triple checking for cars and clearance when driving. Backing up? Open that door up and stick your head out. Save yourself the aggravation of guessing.

Lets get on the road! I like the feel of the car when she’s going down the highway, but the feel of rolling on 14’s is not comfortable at highway speeds. I can feel those lil things screaming. The car’s suspension in stock form is adequate. You can feel every bump through the manual steering. I know some people will chime in that real sports cars don’t have power steering, but many do, and it is practical in city driving and parking. You can debate all day on that. Personally, I like power steering, especially with the shitty turning radius the D has. The car takes extra room to make a U-turn, so allow yourself a little jostling room.

The car is underpowered. I don’t care about 1981 numbers, because it’s not 1981. If you are looking for a performance car, this isn’t it. I will classify this car as a cruiser any day of the week, because when you’re doing about 45, it’s a fun car. Im not big on the arguments about modding the car, because if I were interested in modding the car the way I would, it would have a much bigger motor out back instead of a pricey cam upgrade, but that’s just me.

The car is low. I’ve actually gotten mine stuck on someone’s disrepaired driveway before. Im not a fan of the stock US height of the car, so why not drive one even lower? I like feeling the breeze on my ass when reflectors go by on the road. This really isn’t a gripe, I just think the car handles better when lowered.

Build quality? LOL. Plywood. Duct Tape. That’s all I’m going to say about that.

Ease of maintenance? Over all? No difference than most other cars. When you buy the car, bite the ol’ bullet and just order yourself calipers, brake lines, clutch lines, clutch master, brake master, clutch slave, bunch of brake fluid, and get to work. You’ll solve so many of your current/future problems by doing that.

In conclusion:
- drivability: at 45? She’s wonderful. At highway? Needs bigger rims because 14’s can only turn so fast…

Would I buy another one?
Probably. Too much history with the cars to just walk away totally. You have to take the bad (a lot) with the good (some). I think the flaws are what make it unique in a way. I will never ever say this is a GREAT car, or even the BEST car. I will say, it is one hell of a unique car, plus the kids seem to like it.

Mike is correct about the pedals being close together, especially on the manual cars. When I 1st drove a manual Delorean I had to scoot my left foot as far over as possible to keep from hitting the brake as I pressed down the clutch. And I wear size 12's! It takes some getting used to (you can even drive in your bare feet).

Deloreans weren't the only cars built this way. I live in Car Show central and I get to see a variety of cars here in NE FL. I saw a 65 Porsche and a 67 Corvette Stingray with the pedals being close together.

They aren't perfect cars, but they are a LOT of fun so pros outweigh the cons as far as I'm concerned!:yesss:

Sidaries
01-26-2012, 01:51 PM
In conclusion:

- visibility: Absolutely true.
- comfort: I disagree. For me it is perfect. I have to say, I am 181 cm and 65 kg. :)
- foot room: Pedals are really close. True.
- HP: Could be more. For me it is adequate, but I can understand if somebody thinks it is not enough.
- drivability: I agree with you. On highway speed it is too loud.
- build quality: My car is really nice, but I know what you think about.

Evildeli
01-26-2012, 02:51 PM
- visibility: Absolutely true.
- comfort: I disagree. For me it is perfect. I have to say, I am 181 cm and 65 kg. :)
- foot room: Pedals are really close. True.
- HP: Could be more. For me it is adequate, but I can understand if somebody thinks it is not enough.
- drivability: I agree with you. On highway speed it is too loud.
- build quality: My car is really nice, but I know what you think about.

-Visibility: I have a hard time seeing out the pass. mirror, and hate that no matter where I sit, the frame for the toll booth window is always in the way. Other than that I feel the D has the same limits any other car I drive has with blind spots.
-Comfort: Wish the sill was thicker so I could put my elbow up. I sit lower in the D than my '72 vette. Makes for a better "sports car" feel.
-Foot Pedals: Need to wear narrow shoes
-HP: Could use more HP, but I'm okay with it being more of a touring car
-build: Easier to work on than '72 vette, but vette really needs a frame off, so not a great comparison but it's all I got.
-Build quality: Easier to work on than '72 vette that really needs a frame off. Not a fair comparison but it's all I got.
-Drive: Not gonna blow other sports cars off the line, but I do blow most other cars even when not trying. Car feels natural cornering. For me the D feels most comfortable from 55-80 mph. After 80, a good wind can make the D go every which way. Hate no power steering when parking, feels great on the highway.

Michael
01-27-2012, 12:10 AM
BTW perfect post. If you don't mind I will make a translation on my blog tomorrow about it to Hungarian language.

Thank you, and I have no objection, translate away and don't hesitate to change it around to fit the syntax. I typed it out in a hurry and didn't really proof it enough so there were a few words that got over used.

Mike Z
01-27-2012, 12:43 AM
I have an automatic and I'm thrilled I don't have a manual.

+ 1 some people just don't understand that some of us just like automatic vehicles :dunno:

Farrar
01-27-2012, 09:38 AM
+ 1 some people just don't understand that some of us just like automatic vehicles :dunno:

I think it's kind of like chocolate -- you either like it or you don't!

Chris Burns
01-27-2012, 10:04 AM
+1

It's for sure an enthusiast's car. I was watching a video of the 1937 812 Cord (which was kind of the Delorean of it's day). In the video they talk about how the cars had issues when it 1st came out and that it cost twice the amount of a Caddie. The Cord company was already running out of money by 1936, so when they built the car they had to make due with what they had. The car had issues with the pre-selector gearbox and overheated. However the cars can be updated to a driver status and be driven with less issues. They sell for 200k or more at auction.:eek1:

Mike Z
01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
I think it's kind of like chocolate -- you either like it or you don't!

Hey Farrar! I agree it's just that some people develope an attitude when it comes to the issue of driving a manual or automatic and they feel the need to launch into a lecture on why manuals are better and then automatic people end up having to defend their choice. If you drive a manual, great, but don't hate just because I like to put a car in drive and be on my way.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your avatar is perfection lol

Michael
01-27-2012, 10:31 AM
I drive an auto as well. When shopping, I went for condition over all else, including drivetrain. I preferred a manual but got an auto because it was an immaculate DMCH remanufactured car with only 1,700 miles and very well priced. Drivetrain for some of us is just a non issue.

Let's face it, no matter which you have, any soccer mom in a Sienna minivan will embarrass you and your exotic gull wing sports car, so no need to get cocky about those two extra gears.

Victor
01-27-2012, 11:51 AM
You are absolutely right Michael ! I have owned both, and they are very playful thing! My preference_ with any car is to change my own gears however.

I especially like the non-assisted steering. It is so sharp! Thanks to the Lotus contribution.

I never found any problemm with the rear visibility. I find the Dodge Stealth, and Cadillac CTS rear visibilty was not good.

And it's indeed a grand tourer not a sport car. For me it's a piece of art as much as a transportation vehicle. I do not like when people say it's a toy.

My first impression was awkward as I found the suspension was too soft. So I left without making an offer. But the design got me to try another one. And the more you try them_the more you like them and finally, you learn to appreciate all the little things that make this car so unique...

thirdmanj
01-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I've was taught that if you're not shifting you're not really driving, just steering. Manual owners get a stick up their ass because "they know how to drive a stick" and feel its a right of passage in driving.

I feel, preferences are fine provided one knows how to operate a manual. But to say, "I just prefer automatics" without knowing how/being comfortable driving a manual, I feel is a little silly. To me it's half the fun of driving a sports car is manually shifting through the gears. If the car were my daily driver, and I had to cope with traffic in a commute to work everyday, an auto would be my first choice... And it is. But to drive a sports car, underpowered or not, with an automatic is a bit like having sex with a condom. It's still a lot of fun, but without is soooo much better.

Michael
01-27-2012, 12:08 PM
to drive a sports car, underpowered or not, with an automatic is a bit like having sex with a condom. It's still a lot of fun, but without is soooo much better.

It depends on who you are having sex with. If a Ferrai Enzo or a Lamborghini Galardo is Rihanna or Olivia Wilde, and the Ford Pinto the would be a Hillary Clinton, then the Delorean would be somewhere around Lady Gaga....I would definately want a condom.

Jimmyvonviggle
01-27-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't think manual or auto matters. I got a manual because my regular cars are auto and I wanted something fun on the side.

However I'm sure you get the same rush driving an auto D.

dvonk
01-27-2012, 12:14 PM
It depends on who you are having sex with. If a Ferrai Enzo or a Lamborghini Galardo is Rihanna or Olivia Wilde, and the Ford Pinto the would be a Hillary Clinton, then the Delorean would be somewhere around Lady Gaga....I would definately want a condom.

:hysterical:

jawn101
01-27-2012, 12:14 PM
My first impression was awkward as I found the suspension was too soft.

I think that might be the first time I've ever heard it described this way :)

...the Delorean would be somewhere around Lady Gaga....I would definately want a condom.

I dunno about you, mine isn't usually inside a giant egg or covered in meat... lol

thirdmanj
01-27-2012, 12:18 PM

No don't go THAT far into it!! :hysterical: That analogy doesn't even make sense! Heh heh heh, but agreed on the Lady Gaga part of it, condom recommended.

jawn101
01-27-2012, 12:41 PM
No don't go THAT far into it!! :hysterical: That analogy doesn't even make sense! Heh heh heh, but agreed on the Lady Gaga part of it, condom recommended.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j315/soundspin/ComicsOnline/NG_SafeSex.jpg

Jonathan
01-27-2012, 04:20 PM
I've was taught...

I feel...

To me...

Thank you for your opinion. You are entitled to it. So is everyone else here to their opinion. You like manuals, I get it. Other people here like automatics. Great. Now move on to another topic cause no one gives a shit.

SamHill
01-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Thank you for your opinion. You are entitled to it. So is everyone else here to their opinion. You like manuals, I get it. Other people here like automatics. Great. Now move on to another topic cause no one gives a shit.

Very Nice.

opethmike
01-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Man, its really silly how everyone gets so defensive about their choice of auto or manual. You have what you have, and you like what you like. Yeesh.

thirdmanj
01-27-2012, 05:09 PM

So angry!

thirdmanj
01-27-2012, 05:48 PM

I mean, am I missing something here? Whats wrong with voicing an opinion? I didn't think I was being offensive or crude. I just presented my opinion, with reasoning. The topic of conversation went that direction and I felt like contributing a point of view. Isn't that part of the fun of these forums?

Farrar
01-27-2012, 06:04 PM
I see nothing wrong with voicing opinions. I do have a problem with people lobbing insults, but I haven't seen any of that so I don't know what anyone would be upset about.

But that's just my opinion... ;)

Jonathan
01-27-2012, 06:13 PM
I mean, am I missing something here? Whats wrong with voicing an opinion? I didn't think I was being offensive or crude. I just presented my opinion, with reasoning. The topic of conversation went that direction and I felt like contributing a point of view. Isn't that part of the fun of these forums?

No, nothing missing here. I'm just keeping up with the theme of behaving like an asshole towards others as can be seen in many other threads and posts of all varieties by many people, now and on the old dot com site. I just choose not to be as subtle when I do it.

Farrar
01-27-2012, 06:17 PM
No, nothing missing here. I'm just keeping up with the theme of behaving like an asshole towards others as can be seen in many other threads and posts of all varieties by many people, now and on the old dot com site. I just choose not to be as subtle when I do it.

Ah, so you're the Canadian Elvis!

*unsubscribe*

thirdmanj
01-27-2012, 06:19 PM

And here I thought Canadians were such nice people... :lol:

Edit: I believe at this point we are officialy :offtopic:

Jonathan
01-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Actually, not entirely off topic. I mean, my impression of the DeLorean experience is at least partly related to the online/forum experience. My frustration is more to do with how bold online comments towards others can be. You'd need to be fairly oblivious to not be able to see how utterly ignorant and collosally rude some of the jabs are to others here. Sure, most are subtle and not outright insults, but the way members here gang up on people because god forbid they had an idea, opinion, spelling mistake or just something that wasn't exactly what another person believed. Those that have been online here for a while, think to yourself about the names you don't see post here anymore. You know why? Because they got tired of all the BS negativity and people being assholes to each other. You know damn well that many of these comments would get you blasted in the face if you said it in person.

Mike C.
01-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Everyone take a chill pill, Jonathan is right. Lets go back on topic and start talking about driving experiences.

Chris Burns
01-27-2012, 07:20 PM
For those of you not familiar with the 5 speed Deloreans this is what the pedals look like.

jawn101
01-27-2012, 08:09 PM
For those of you not familiar with the 5 speed Deloreans this is what the pedals look like.

Hmm, that far left dead pedal... is that supposed to be there? I don't have that! :)

But the criticism is true. These pedals are pretty close together. I nearly got myself killed trying to move the car once wearing Crocs - the back edge got itself under the brake and I couldn't take my foot off the accelerator. I heartily second everything that was said here about having appropriate driving footwear, especially if you have large feet!

dmc6960
01-27-2012, 10:24 PM
The dead pedal is intended to be there, but wasn't installed on many cars or was removed by a previous owner. You may find that your carpet has the proper slit in there, and you may even have the riv-nuts in the fiberglass or at least the holes for them. DMC sells a kit to install it if you don't have one.

aludden
01-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Talking about pedals, is it just me, or do you also get cramps on the gas pedal leg after an hour of driving? It seems the pedal is in a different position than we're used to, or maybe because we're sitting so low.

Anyway, I still love it! :thumbup:

sdg3205
01-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Hmm, that far left dead pedal... is that supposed to be there? I don't have that! :)

But the criticism is true. These pedals are pretty close together. I nearly got myself killed trying to move the car once wearing Crocs - the back edge got itself under the brake and I couldn't take my foot off the accelerator. I heartily second everything that was said here about having appropriate driving footwear, especially if you have large feet!

Install one! Super simple to install and at $40 it goes a long way to improve comfort. In any car I drive I always reach for the dead pedal at speed and it really bothers me when cars do not have them. Just my 2 cents.

Sidaries
01-28-2012, 02:09 AM

As I remember all '82 has this dead pedal, but many cars before it too. Mine has it.

Chris Burns
01-28-2012, 10:16 AM
The Delorean pedals in the picture are from an 83 for sale in Burbank CA. VIN 17001.

Evildeli
01-28-2012, 12:21 PM

Early VIN don't have the dead pedal. I don't have one at 3004, and since your D is earlier, I assume you shouldn't have one either. BUT it's your car! Add it if you like it.

Ron
01-28-2012, 04:30 PM
FYI:

"Cars up to VIN 07199 (all 1981 models)—acceptable either with or without a foot
rest/“dead” pedal in the left side driver’s footwell,

All cars from VIN 10001 (all 1982 and 1983 models)

must have a foot rest/“dead” pedal in the left side driver’s footwell" (Concours Handbook)

Which also reminds me of my 1st time driving an auto D...The brake pedal is huge...like it belongs in a Mac Truck!

SamHill
01-28-2012, 06:49 PM
FYI:

"Cars up to VIN 07199 (all 1981 models)—acceptable either with or without a foot
rest/“dead” pedal in the left side driver’s footwell,

That number could be stand to be whittled down. I'm betting virtually all the November D's (the big build up) did have one.

Cory W
01-28-2012, 07:38 PM
That number could be stand to be whittled down. I'm betting virtually all the November D's (the big build up) did have one.

Here's a start: November build 6164 does not have a dead pedal.

SamHill
01-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Here's a start: November build 6164 does not have a dead pedal.

November build 7041 does have one. I was starting from perhaps the faulty assumption that November builds would have marked the beginning of more standardized assembly... or as standard as it ever got.

Kenny_Z
01-28-2012, 08:59 PM
I've never heard of a dead pedal before. I had to look it up on Wikipedia. I just rest my foot flat on the floorboard. That's a comfortable position for me. That's probably the only time I haven't cursed my short legs.

I've driven several classic cars but none as modern as the Delorean. When I first took Red out I felt like I was 10 years old again watching BTTF. The dash gauges distracted me much more than they should have but I couldn't help it. The car itself feels like a gokart, turning without much effort. The Delorean doesn't feel dead like most modern sports cars. It also doesn't feel like the wheel is going to get yanked out of my hands on every bump like my older classics. She's a pleasure to drive and that is in stock format. I'm looking forward to upgrades that make her even better.

The driver's area is snug but I've never felt claustrophobic in the car. That only happens when I get stuck in traffic around other cars. Even Kias tower over me. The driver's seat is very comfortable. That is the number one comment I get from anyone who sits in the car, it is comfortable. The shifter is in a great location. My only two problems are the window switches and the radio buttons. I constantly hit the switches and I can barely reach the buttons to change stations. I've never had an issue with visibility. My 99 Monte has much larger blindspots. However, I hate the lack of sunshades on the side windows. I end up wearing my BTTF hat tilted to stupid angles on sunny mornings just so I can see the gauges.

The drivetrain needs a little more power for my taste. There are times I find I can't merge or pull out into traffic because I just don't have enough in the car. However, once she's up and running I find myself doing 70 and 80 without realizing it. The powerband there is just so steady and the suspension is so well tuned that she never feels like she's struggling, 40 feels like 50 feels like 80. She's going to get me a ticket one day.

I smile every morning when I walk to my driveway even if I'm not taking the Delorean. I consider owning her a blessing in every way. Red has people taking pictures at spotlights, slow drivebys in parking lots, and crowds around her everywhere we go. The attention toward Red has changed my personality for the better. I was always the quiet one in public, I'd never speak to people or interact. Mom told me a few weeks ago that she's seen that change. Red has forced me to into the getting used to talking to people in public. Even when Red isn't in the picture I'm more comfortable around people.

Chris Burns
01-28-2012, 09:11 PM
I've never heard of a dead pedal before. I had to look it up on Wikipedia. I just rest my foot flat on the floorboard. That's a comfortable position for me. That's probably the only time I haven't cursed my short legs.

I've driven several classic cars but none as modern as the Delorean. When I first took Red out I felt like I was 10 years old again watching BTTF. The dash gauges distracted me much more than they should have but I couldn't help it. The car itself feels like a gokart, turning without much effort. The Delorean doesn't feel dead like most modern sports cars. It also doesn't feel like the wheel is going to get yanked out of my hands on every bump like my older classics. She's a pleasure to drive and that is in stock format. I'm looking forward to upgrades that make her even better.

The driver's area is snug but I've never felt claustrophobic in the car. That only happens when I get stuck in traffic around other cars. Even Kias tower over me. The driver's seat is very comfortable. That is the number one comment I get from anyone who sits in the car, it is comfortable. The shifter is in a great location. My only two problems are the window switches and the radio buttons. I constantly hit the switches and I can barely reach the buttons to change stations. I've never had an issue with visibility. My 99 Monte has much larger blindspots. However, I hate the lack of sunshades on the side windows. I end up wearing my BTTF hat tilted to stupid angles on sunny mornings just so I can see the gauges.

The drivetrain needs a little more power for my taste. There are times I find I can't merge or pull out into traffic because I just don't have enough in the car. However, once she's up and running I find myself doing 70 and 80 without realizing it. The powerband there is just so steady and the suspension is so well tuned that she never feels like she's struggling, 40 feels like 50 feels like 80. She's going to get me a ticket one day.

I smile every morning when I walk to my driveway even if I'm not taking the Delorean. I consider owning her a blessing in every way. Red has people taking pictures at spotlights, slow drivebys in parking lots, and crowds around her everywhere we go. The attention toward Red has changed my personality for the better. I was always the quiet one in public, I'd never speak to people or interact. Mom told me a few weeks ago that she's seen that change. Red has forced me to into the getting used to talking to people in public. Even when Red isn't in the picture I'm more comfortable around people.

Awesome write up man! Well put.

DMC3165
01-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Ok so I'm a little sentimental when it comes to ceartin things. My D is one of them. So my impressions are a little out of proportion. I will say I have owned quite a few different cars. My first car was a 79 trans am with a 301 Pontiac and a four speed. It was probably the slowest v8 ever built on the planet. But when I was 17 I loved it more then life itself. Nothing made me grin more then driving that car.

While nothing had more raw power then my 70 GTO, or could snap my neck back like my supercharged 95 Z28, neither one made me smile as much as that old trans am. Until I bought my DeLorean.

My first D was junk it was a tortured vehicle that had the shit kicked out of it from day one. By the time I got it in the late 90's it was toast. But I tried every which way just to keep it going. Fortunately I was able to get rid of it only to purchase the one I have now.

Without dragging this out too long all I want to say is either you'll love a DeLorean or you'll hate it. For me it truly is a time machine. No other car could make me feel like that grinning 17 year old driving for the first time. Some people get off on speed. I still haven't quite figured out just what it is about the D that gets my blood flowing. But as far as I'm concerned I'd take my D over a Bugatti Veyron any day. Because no matter how fast is it just wouldn't make me feel the way I do when I drive it and that for me is priceless.

pezzonovante88
03-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Simply put, driving the DeLorean is very satisfying. Its more involved than driving a modern car and provides a considerably different driving experience. Before I acquired mine, I had never driven or even ridden in one, so I wasn't quite sure of what to expect. Now that I've had the chance to drive mine a few times, I've decided that I'm VERY happy with it. I kept hearing that the DeLorean is "underpowered" - honestly, I really don't think it is. For the first time today I pushed it a bit (not red-lining or flooring it through the gears, just dropping it into second and doing a quick pass) and believe me, it moves along quite well, thank you very much. No, its not "shove you in your seat", "crap your pants" fast, but it does get down the road just fine. But, the speed is just one aspect of it; The car's steering is phenomenal. I've driven MANY modern sports cars and not yet have I driven a car that gave such a visceral and satisfying steering feel overall when combined with the noise of the old engine behind me and the low slung interior and seating position. Handling also seems to be very good, though I haven't pushed it in that department, either. I drove a Ferrari 348 today and, though I didn't push it at all, it was no more satisfying than driving the DeLorean.
Before I bought the car, I had concluded I was going to upgrade the exhaust system, but now I'm not too sure I really need to. It sounds pretty decent from in the interior and, as stated, it doesn't "need" more power. I may still upgrade it, but just for the fact that I know the stock muffler is quite restrictive and is easily remedied with an aftermarket one, which will put my mind at ease.
Anyway, after getting some good seat-time today I thought I'd report back with some positive notes about the car. The only negatives I can really state at this point would be that the ride is very harsh. It is a sports car, but man, the bumps just kill'ya. Maybe some aftermarket struts will be in the works down the road.

My car is stock with the exception of Martin's front lowering springs, cut rear springs, and the upgrade air intake (heat-stove override) w/ K&N air filter. Stock exhaust, brakes, shocks, engine, etc.

Thanks

jawn101
03-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Simply put, driving the DeLorean is very satisfying. Its more involved than driving a modern car and provides a considerably different driving experience.

Very true and accurate. Glad to hear you're enjoying it so much! :)

rundmc
03-17-2012, 09:43 AM
I bought 6239 sight unseen, flew up on a one-way ticket and drove it back from CT to Atlanta on back roads. There were a lot of risks in the doing as I had never been behind the wheel of a DMC before. I took the consensus' word that the interior was designed for tall people (I'm 6'3), I took the seller's word that the car was wound tight and could make a trip like that and again, I'd never driven a DMC so I was learning about the car while also trying to follow a map in a place I'd never been (I didn't have GPS).

All that said, I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything else. It was one of the best times of my life. One of my first impressions was, even after driving for 10 hours at a stretch, I was mad at myself for being tired. I wanted to keep driving. My legs weren't stiff or jelly when I would get out at the next hotel like with other cars.

Anywhere I drove and have driven since, the experience is awesome because you watch everyone around you on the road crane for a look, sometimes show their excitement with a camera (or their envy, or in one case absolute hatred of the car--that was weird) but the sum of that is the certainty that you're driving something innately special. Most motorheads secretly admit to loving the DMC despite its engineering shortcomings (and gather 'round it at the local cruise-in), the women who generally could care less about cars grin from ear to ear when it pulls up, kids who have never seen that now-classic movie gravitate to its otherworldly cool-factor regardless of having no direct, pop-culture or generational association.

The DeLorean is the ultimate automotive goodwill ambassador. That cures a lot of ills with the car itself, which I find are very few indeed.

The seating position is perfect, the vehicle's stance (either stock or lowered to original spec) serves the driver well. The car is responsive when properly maintained and, as I describe it, "nimble, but not quick." I could care less that a Kia can whoop me off the line because 99 out of 100 people in the immediate vicinity would say, "Yeah, but I'd rather be in a DeLorean than a Kia any day of the week!"

In the context of other vehicles contemporary with a DeLorean, it was ahead of its time. I recently drove a well-preserved 1983 Datsun 280zx. Cool-looking car, only had 64,000 miles on it. Interior was mint and original. But when I hopped in and fired it up, I thought - "This isn't the DeLorean." The interior wasn't as quality, the car had a lack of tightness in the doors and panels, the rattles and road noise made the DeLorean feel like a modern BMW. The Datsun just felt like a golf cart with T-Tops. Cool to look at, a dog to drive.

The DeLorean doesn't have that fault. It is a wonder to look upon, and a dream to drive. The DMC driving experience holds up 31 years on.