PDA

View Full Version : Temporary wireless internet for a laptop

Notifier
01-25-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm in the need for setting up a temporary wireless internet connection for my laptop. By temporary I'm talking two months top. So I'm thinking pre-pay is the way to go. Looking online at a couple of providers there's a company called "DataJack" that looks promising.

Wondering if anyone on here has used their service and if it's worth it? Also, offer any other suggestions (including any other companies to look at)?

I thought about adding a line to my Verizon cell account but it looks like the reviews of their own wireless adapter are not that great. Plus I know Verizon service where I will be at isn't that great, but other providers are ok. So I guess I need to stay away from their type of service.

Dangermouse
01-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Starbucks

Kenny_Z
01-25-2012, 11:03 AM
I had a wireless aircard from Verizon from work for awhile. It wasn't bad as long as I had decent coverage.

Notifier
01-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Starbucks

That's the problem, no public wifi in the area. Actually the computer will be in a fixed location the entire time.

stevedmc
01-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Tmobile has a $30 unlimited data plan I use on my iphone. Perhaps it would work for you. Its prepaid with no contract. You just need to spend $5 to order a sim card from their website.

DARCOM
01-25-2012, 11:25 AM
If service is bad on your Verizon phone, press *228 and update your PRL. that will load more towers into your phone for it to use. also depending on what phone you have you can connect your phone to your computer and use the data from your phone to use the internet. this is what i do when i travel, but I'm on cricket with an unlimited data plan.

Notifier
01-25-2012, 12:53 PM
If service is bad on your Verizon phone, press *228 and update your PRL. that will load more towers into your phone for it to use. also depending on what phone you have you can connect your phone to your computer and use the data from your phone to use the internet. this is what i do when i travel, but I'm on cricket with an unlimited data plan.

I do have a wireless hot spot on my phone and I know it's an extra charge. I'll have to look into that, totally forgot about it, thanks!

I'll have to try the *228 thing next time I am out there.

DMCMW Dave
01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
I do have a wireless hot spot on my phone and I know it's an extra charge. .

If you use an android ap called PDANet you can wire-tether your phone to the computer for no added charge (Verizon can't stop it from working). Works great if you are on Verizon's old unlimited data plan, probably expensive if you aren't.

Dangermouse
01-25-2012, 01:10 PM
That's the problem, no public wifi in the area.

No Starbucks !

That's just un-American !

stevedmc
01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Get yourself a grid antenna and point it at your neighbors house. "Greg's Connection" was my ISP for about 6 months until I was able to get standalone DSL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz-24dbi-Directional-Parabolic-Grid-WiFi-Antenna-/370428225540?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563f3e2804

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2-4GHz-24dbi-Directional-Parabolic-Grid-WiFi-Antenna-/12/!B8ktmz!!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!hwEzL)lKd7hBM3,5EVfow~~0_12. JPG

Notifier
01-25-2012, 05:50 PM
No Starbucks !

That's just un-American !

There is a Dunkin Donuts a block away and a Wawa (for those of us in the mid-atlantic region) two blocks away so we are covered!

Notifier
01-25-2012, 05:56 PM
If you use an android ap called PDANet you can wire-tether your phone to the computer for no added charge (Verizon can't stop it from working). Works great if you are on Verizon's old unlimited data plan, probably expensive if you aren't.

I don't have an andriod phone, actually a Palm Pre (have this problem with buying old technology), I'll have to look into seeing if they have something similar, thanks for the suggestion!

dvonk
01-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Get yourself a grid antenna and point it at your neighbors house. "Greg's Connection" was my ISP for about 6 months until I was able to get standalone DSL.

haha, i used a parabolic antenna to piggyback for around 5 years in the 2000s. occasionally had some connectivity issues, but would switch networks if that happened. saved me a bunch of money in my 'poor college days'... :smile: