PDA

View Full Version : Hidden audi system chatter***Split from Battery drain thread***

DMC5180
01-30-2012, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't mind having a Hidden Audio System that is just controlled remotely with an iPhone or Smart phone. I'd really like to see it where you could dock the phone on its side in place of a radio face plate. Then use the GPS built into the phone.

jawn101
01-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't mind having a Hidden Audio System that is just controlled remotely with an iPhone or Smart phone. I'd really like to see it where you could dock the phone on its side in place of a radio face plate. Then use the GPS built into the phone.

Your dream can come true today, my friend! :)

http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Product-Reviews/INCAR/oxygen-audio-o-car-receiver/All-Pages.html

Saw this at the pro audio shop in town here. It looks really, really, really cool.

DMC5180
01-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Well I'll be. That's exactly what I had in mind.

jawn101
01-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Well I'll be. That's exactly what I had in mind.

It looks completely badass in person too. The guy at the shop said if it wasn't for the price he'd never be able to sell anything else (to the non-professional segment - it's missing certain capabilities that a competition system needs). Obviously a $400 head unit isn't for everyone but I wish I'd known about it before I bought mine, I would have got that instead. I just worry that it might go obsolete the next time a new i-whatever comes out.

DMC5180
01-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Might have to split this thread now:

I don't have an iPhone yet, just a 2G iPod touch. (Not compatible for this apparently). I'm not familiar with how well the GPS google maps feature works compared to a dedicated GPS NAV system. But if it is anywhere close to a typical NAV unit this may be on my short list. With all the 3G,3GS,4 and now 4S phone compatibility, I don't see incompatibility issues for a while. Unless Apple changes the physical size of the next Gen iphone (5) to a larger screen I don't see it being an issue down the road.

jawn101
01-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Might have to split this thread now:

I don't have an iPhone yet, just a 2G iPod touch. (Not compatible for this apparently). I'm not familiar with how well the GPS google maps feature works compared to a dedicated GPS NAV system. But if it is anywhere close to a typical NAV unit this may be on my short list. With all the 3G,3GS,4 and now 4S phone compatibility, I don't see incompatibility issues for a while. Unless Apple changes the physical size of the next Gen iphone (5) to a larger screen I don't see it being an issue down the road.

Yeah, I think it's my fault we're off topic here. I'll leave my one last thought on the matter, which is to say that google maps is *not* a GPS on the iPhone by any means. But there is a TomTom application (and many others by other vendors, but TomTom is by far the best IMO) that is amazing. Imagine a top quality dedicated GPS unit that also has a constant internet connection, free lifetime OTA map updates, all your music on tap, and a way faster processor. It's worth the cash. If you do get one of these let me know, I'd be curious to hear how it works out!

</threadjack>

Dangermouse
01-31-2012, 07:54 AM
I'll just say that I haven't used my Tom Tom since I got my iphone. The only downside with the base system is that there is no voice directions without buying the TomTom app.

On the plus side. you can search for a business on the internet, highlight the address to see it on a map and then get instant a direction-map from where-ever you currently are.

Also shows real-time traffic, for free.

jangell
01-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Here's another double-DIN head unit with an iPhone dock, but it's not as elegant as the Oxygen one. I personally just have a Sony head unit with my iPhone connected via a Kensington charger/line out combo. I prefer this since it means I can more easily manipulate the phone when needed without having to disconnect it from something first.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/27/insert-coin-dash-car-stereo-video/

I find the built-in Maps app useful for checking the traffic, finding points of interest, and getting some quick directions, but not for turn-by-turn navigation. It's different on Android, where the built-in Google Maps app is a complete turn-by-turn nav system, but that's not on the iPhone yet.

Instead, I use Navigon as my turn-by-turn GPS nav app. It has all the usual features, like turn-by-turn voice nav and points of interest. It's $60 for the entire US (you can get more regional areas for less if you like). There are one-time in-app purchase for traffic ($20), 3D topology ($10), speed cameras ($5) maps updated quarterly (for two years) instead of yearly ($20), and Zagat-reviewed POIs. It also works on the iPad if you want a big screen, which is what I did for my dad.

I like it because all of the maps are on my phone, so I never have to worry about being in an area without cell signal (like large parts of VT or NH). I bought it when it was $90 and got the traffic and 3D topography ("panorama") extras as they became available. It's still cheaper in many cases than buying a dedicated GPS device, and my wife is able to use it on her phone as well.

Note that if you have an iPod touch, I'm pretty sure they do not have GPS (I believe it's part of the cellular chipset, which is also why the 3G iPad has GPS but the wifi model does not). They instead use wifi access point triangulation, which is good enough to guess where you are, but not good enough to use for navigation purposes. You'll need a Bluetooth GPS module if you want to use these mapping apps with your iPoad touch or wifi iPad. FYI.

-- Joe

Farrar
01-31-2012, 04:37 PM
O-Car is $259 on Amazon.com. (That's in US dollars.)

And here I was thinking of building a carputer... looks like I may not have to ;)

jawn101
01-31-2012, 04:48 PM
O-Car is $259 on Amazon.com. (That's in US dollars.)

And here I was thinking of building a carputer... looks like I may not have to ;)

Niiiiice. I should totally have bought that. :tantrum: