PDA

View Full Version : Frothy motor oil

DMC3165
02-04-2012, 01:29 PM
NOT FROM MY D!!!!

Thankfully this didn't come out of my D. Unfortunately it did come out if my wifes 08 Land Rover LR2 this morning. These two pics were taken around an hour after the oil was drained. Can anyone tell me what this is a sign of? The car has about 50,000 mikes on it always dealer serviced. The warranty has been up for about a year now so no more trips to the dealer. Any ideas?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

Bitsyncmaster
02-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Thermostat is opening to cold or your doing to many short drives without a long one.

sdg3205
02-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Too many mikes and not enough miles.

I'm just kidding. I have no idea. You'll figure it out.

Can't be bad.

Ron
02-04-2012, 06:23 PM
lol DG

Thermostat is opening to cold or your doing to many short drives without a long one.
+1

Check reservoir and radiator (after it cools of coarse) for signs of contamination (coolant) and proper levels, then if how long it takes to get to operating temp seems normal. If everything looks ok, I'd use it for the next few 20+ minute one way trips I needed to take and change the oil and filter again.

DMC3165
02-04-2012, 07:55 PM
One other thing I didn't mention earlier was the viscosity was very high. The oil was thick and didn't flow very well (like gear oil). But as the day went on I found out it's been almost a year since the oil was changed! Normally I'd be furious at my wife but she (and I) had a rough year last year so getting the car serviced was not on the forefront of everyone's mind. Just hoping we didn't screw something up in the process.

DMCVegas
02-05-2012, 11:15 AM
lol DG

+1

Check reservoir and radiator (after it cools of coarse) for signs of contamination (coolant) and proper levels, then if how long it takes to get to operating temp seems normal. If everything looks ok, I'd use it for the next few 20+ minute one way trips I needed to take and change the oil and filter again.

It definitely looks like water in the oil. As everyone has stated it's either condensation that isn't boiling off because the oil isn't getting hot enough (thermostat being stuck open or engine not being run long enough), or it's a head gasket leak.

To add to what has been said, check your crank case ventilation tubes and ports. If you've got a serious enough head gasket leak, then you'll see that foamy gunk appearing up in the tubes. If it's the thermostat causing the engine to run too cold, then you run the risk of fowling the sparkplugs and EGR valve. Though you should have had a Check Engine light turn on long ago if that was the case.

Dangermouse
02-05-2012, 12:01 PM
I know you said it has been a year since the last oil change, but how many miles?

DMC3165
02-05-2012, 03:30 PM
It was under 10K which is normal by by the owners manual. It recommends 7500-12000 miles between oil changes. I will probably change it every 5000 from here on in.