PDA

View Full Version : Hdtv

Conundrum
02-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I currently have a Sony Bravia. It just recently decided to adopt some "distorted squares". My TV had only two of them that lasted only an hour then went away; now they don't. Now, there are four squares.

I may be in the market soon for a new HDTV. I'm leaning towards a LED.

I'd like to see what is the best vs price right now.

Any ideas?

DDeNeef
02-05-2012, 04:44 AM
Depends on your budget. Currently LED technology would indeed be the best option 1080p resolution, depending on screen size, is common. Stereoscopic 3D televisions improve rapidly but are expensive.

Beware of those fancy sharpening, coloring, motion filters or whatnot. You'll end up turning those off anyway. ;) Make sure all the connections you need (HDMI, VGA, DVI, analog, etc.) are available on the set you want. Just my 2 cents. :)

Jonathan
02-05-2012, 10:26 AM
I'll give you my 2 cents on quality, price and value. I would suggest not only being drawn to what is today's biggest and best, but instead look at what might have been the biggest and best last year or the year before. It will be far less expensive and will serve the same purpose.

The example I am drawing from is the two televisions I have now (well actually there are 3 more tube style ones collecting dust in the basement too but that's another story). I bought a Sony Gran Vega, 50" rear projection LCD about 8 Super Bowls ago (as of today). You know the kind that is somewhat skinny at the top but still about 1 foot or more wide at the bottom. They were the popular kind of TV for a short amount of time between those huge big black suckers, and the flat panel ones.

It wasn't the absolute best at the time that I bought it, but still to this day, that is where I watch a lot of my sports. Even then there was a knock on the bulb life. So at about my 3rd or 4th Super Bowl I bought an extra bulb for like $200 just to have in an emergency. It's still in the box as I'm still on the original bulb after I don't know how many thousand hours. It's only 720p (or 1080i or whatever) so not true HD, but considering I do all my PS3 and BluRay on my other TV, it's all good. Couple that with the fact that satellite TV or cable can't broadcast in 1080p and it still 8 years later is adequate.

The Panasonic plasma I bought (42") is in my movie/video game room. Perfect size for me to fit above the fireplace. Again, it wasn't the best one out there, but had the features I needed. The room is dark, so plasma was a good fit for me with the light conditions. Sure there are other better TV's out there, but for example when I got BTTF on BluRay, I was blown away at the detail I was seeing.

Buying only what is the newest, biggest, and best is not a new concept, but one that our current generation is sickened by. I figure the same applies to TV's, golf drivers, DSLR cameras and quite a few other things. The golf driver one is funny. If it was good enough to be the best last season, and you're playing with one that is a decade old or something, than why pay $500 for the newest one, when last year's model is $179? It's a heckuva step up from what you had for a fraction of the cost of the newest one. Similar with DSLR's. Most people never use all the extra features on these cameras or take advantage of that extra $500 in the price. Or special edition DVD's. Seems we always have to go for the second DVD with the special features even though it's only $5 more, but I have a ton of movies where the 2nd disk has never been out of the box.

Anyway, just my opinion. Take it for what it is. The whole consumerism subject is pretty ugly and is likely the biggest challenge for young people buying stuff, homes, cars, etc. I know your question was just on TV's and not this consumerism... maybe Mr. Roman Legion will chime in on his perspective :)

mluder
02-06-2012, 04:34 AM
The currently most respected and well reviewed HDTVs on the market right now are the Panasonic plasma line.

For 3D there's the TC-P55VT30
A step down would be the TC-P50ST30

ON the high end is the Sharp ELITE line. They have bought the ELITE license from Pioneer who up until recently made what is widely held to be the best flat panel TV ever made init's KURO line. Sadly, Pioneer is no longer making TVs. The Sharp is an LED LCD TV and carries a hefty price tag.

In general terms, plasmas outperform LCD and LED TVs because of their ability to reproduce convincing blacks. Many back lit TVs cannot produce the inky blacks required to give the image depth and detail in shadows. That being said, if you are looking at the LED sets, make sure it has "local dimming" rather than edge lit. The Sharp is just such a model. Local dimming uses zones of back lighting to allow for a greater variety of blacks.

There are of course other variables to take into consideration like ambient lighting and off angle viewing needs.

Steve

Conundrum
02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
This is how my TV is acting:

dvonk
02-12-2012, 10:40 PM
mmm, distracting. :umm:

we have a Toshiba we got a couple years ago, it has performed satisfactorily so far.

congerz83
02-13-2012, 09:54 AM
I got a 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma last chistmas eve for $699. Best Buy was having a sale. I like plasmas a lot more than LCDs. I haven't had much experience with LED. Plasma offers great bang for the buck. With darker darks, and brighter brights. The technology is getting better too, so that "burnt image" problem is much less frequent.

Conundrum
02-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Here is one I've looked at.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771282000P?rioptype=SR&i_cntr=1329186730278&sid=ITx20120210TriggeredSRSShoppingRecapELECTRONIC S&lid=product_name1

Has anyone here had any experience with a TV brand called "Vizio"? Wal-Mart has a special 3D package with a 42" 3D TV, 3D player, 4 glasses and a HDMI cable; the TV is also Wifi capable with apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc...for $698.

Iznodmad
02-14-2012, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=Conundrum;42436]Has anyone here had any experience with a TV brand called "Vizio"?[QUOTE]

I have a 37 inch Vizio in my bedroom, great picture quality and has all the bells and whistles. I don't really know anything about it as it was given to me as a gift, but I do like it.

DMCH James
02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
I bought a 46" Vizio at the time of the Open House last year and have it in the bedroom. The internet apps are okay, but I've hooked a Mac Mini with Plex up to it and use it that way most of the time.

Picture quality is good, sound quality is okay.

James

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771282000P?rioptype=SR&i_cntr=1329186730278&sid=ITx20120210TriggeredSRSShoppingRecapELECTRONIC S&lid=product_name1

Has anyone here had any experience with a TV brand called "Vizio"? Wal-Mart has a special 3D package with a 42" 3D TV, 3D player, 4 glasses and a HDMI cable; the TV is also Wifi capable with apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc...for $698.

Mike C.
02-14-2012, 03:49 PM

I bought 14 of the 42" Vizios as giveaways a couple of years back. Never had a complaint on any of them, so they are holding up.

TTait
02-15-2012, 01:16 AM
This is how my TV is acting:

Is that a projection TV?

Plasma is getting better, and the blacks and contrast are good, but they are HEAVY. If your going to hang it on the wall, consider that...

I hope and believe that 3D is a fad that won't last. Even my kids are annoyed with 3D.

Anyway I like the Sharp units... I have a 47 and a 60at home and have installed numerous ones around the world with nary a problem and always nice pictures...

Conundrum
02-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Is that a projection TV?

It is this one:

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemId=1460181236&rid=fd_13_7_65_1422&gclid=CMKZhsKpqa4CFYXe4AodOFJrRg

I bought it new. Can't remember when though; a few years at least.

More specs. here:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=KDL40W4100#specifications