PDA

View Full Version : deloreans magazine cancelled

delorean4ever
02-06-2012, 04:51 PM
I just received a letter from Stephen Wynne dated February 1st, explaining that deloreans magazine, which has been on hiatus, is 'no longer cost effective' and the company is offereing several options to current subscribers to use the remainder of your ubscription balance towards old back issues, select DMC merchandise, or store credit at DMC Houston. It's sad to see the magazine go away, but that seems to be where printed publications are heading now, with the current state of the economy and information freely available on the internet.

Chris4099
02-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Interesting. I used to get them, but cancelled as I noticed they had the highest ad/article ratio of the other magazines of the time. About a 1/3 of it was just ads for their products. I also was annoyed by the fact that most of the how-to articles were for mostly newly released products and you could get them either separately on-line or with the product itself when purchased. To add further insult to injury, the final one I received after cancelling my subscription was given out for free to everyone as a PDF as a sample. Basically meaning I paid for a free issue.

Still, it's sad to see these go away. Even though I could get the technical information elsewhere now, it's still nice to have a something like that to read. Their articles on old archived documents were very nice and actually unique!

eagle-co94
02-06-2012, 05:51 PM
So was there no option to refund the remaining balance?:what_the:

Michael
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM
If I were involved, I would put together a plan for an online subscription, offering attractive content and price. The most important thing is to give customers value for their money to keep them wanting more and keeping it profitable enough to make it worth doing. I personally was not going to continue my subscription as there was nothing worth paying that much for. One tech article, one story from James, a few pics, and a whole lot of ads for DMCH.

I think there is definately a market for a Delorean publication, it just needs to be reworked a little. Even if it were to stay in printed meda, you have to admit, those magizines were expensive looking. The covers and pages alone were the same caliber of a Dupont Registry. I would propose some less expensive paper, a little more content(perhaps a Technician or even a fan could write a piece). This could be done as a contest for owners/customers of DMC to submit articles on a given topic. the best would be printed and the winer would receive a monetary store credit or some other small prize.

If it were to go as an electronic media, it would open many possibilities for imaginative types to offer some great content such as trivia games, or even game rooms with small prizes awarded for paying subscribers who enter contests. It could be tied in to the DMChelp site as well, God knows they need some traffic over there. The more I think about it, the more I realize there is a ton of possibilities for some $$ to be made if and only if they get some content...and I don't mean 50 year olds desiging it(remember those old T-shirts?), Allow people who know the market and know the technology have at it and see what develops. The magazine needs to reach more fans and not concentrate solely on owners. The stories needed to be deeper and worth reading(a bi-monthly column from Nick maybe?) Really a lot of possibilities could be realized here.

So was there no option to refund the remaining balance Yes, you can take several gifts that total more than what you paid for the magazines, ie, I was owed 2 more issues, so I was owed 19.50. I could take approx. 22.00 in merchandise, or just take a store credit for the 19.50.

I noticed they had the highest ad/article ratio of the other magazines of the time
That's because they have no advertising revenue(unless it was set up as a stand alone and they had to buy advertising from themselves), but most likely it was free to advertise in their own magazine. Their only income was from subscribers.

dvonk
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM
ah, it makes me sad when physical magazines are replaced by a bunch of electrons. :disapprove:
theres nothing like leisurely paging through a magazine.

so how many DeLorean-specific magazines are left, DeLorean World and DCS Magazine?

chris williams
02-07-2012, 03:39 PM
We still do a very high quality A4 full colour 16 page quarterly magazine that has next to no advertising in. This has a good circulation and is sent worldwide. And despite the internet age, club membership and therefore magazine circulation is on the up. There are without doubts a lot of people that are happy to have PC and Pdf based information only. However there are still lots of people that like to have a proper magazine to thumb through.
Chris

dvonk
02-07-2012, 06:42 PM
nice, i was unaware of the UK publication, ill have to check that out as well...

and, only mildly related to the thread topic... im thinking about subscribing to DCS magazine, but all i can find is the site to buy back-issues (http://www.robomerchant.net/deloreancarshow/cart.php?target=category&category_id=60). where do you buy a subscription? :hmm:

DMC5180
02-10-2012, 12:16 PM
DCS Magazine (RIP) is out of Production. Only Back Issues available. It was rumored to be rolled into a revamped Delorean World. I'm not sure what happened with that. My DOA membership lapsed in 2010. Since I haven't seen any movement of new issues I've been reluctant to re-up. I did enjoy having the physical copy to read regardless of issue content and Cost.

DOA's (Delorean World) back issues available with membership package. May be on permanent hiatus, just don't know.

Deloreans (Back issues available) RIP

GULLWING magazine (2000-2004) RIP

UK Club Publication. HMM, good to know something is still out there. Might have to join up. At least it's something.

stevedmc
02-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Who in the world needs a Delorean magazine? I can get my Delorean fix anywhere in the world using just an iPhone, Tapatalk, and wifi Internet.

Chris Burns
02-10-2012, 02:47 PM
I got the letter from DMC about the magazine cancellation. I voted for 2 back issues and they should be here in a few weeks.

That is really sad that the Delorean magazines are almost extinct. I'm glad that I got about 30 of them for free and some off of E-bay. The older ones are a real treat for a Delorean fan. My favorites is the Tech Issue from 1992 with the Goodyear Blimp on the cover, the one with Johnny Carson's Delorean, and the one with the gold plated Deloreans.

Evildeli
02-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Got my notice. Opted to get store credit. I could always use more parts.

DMC5180
02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Who in the world needs a Delorean magazine? I can get my Delorean fix anywhere in the world using just an iPhone, Tapatalk, and wifi Internet.

Who in the world NEEDS a Delorean?

Just became newest member of the UK Club. :biggrin: I'll try it for a year. It will be interesting to see what's going on, on the other side of the pond.

Got my notice a few day's ago. I went with Opt 2 package 2. The store credit was for DMC Texas only. I do my purchasing through DMCMW. The DMCH credit didn't fit me.

Fluxat88MPH
02-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I wish we could get store credit through other DMC franchises other than just DMCH. Shipping would be much cheaper, and any of their options where just cheap stuff or stuff I already have. Whatever I get would cost me more or the same in shipping and handling with what they owe me. Credit my credit card!

DMCH James
02-13-2012, 09:48 PM
For a look at the content of each of the back issues, here is a PDF index.

James

Morpheus
02-13-2012, 10:04 PM
If one were to only lack the most recent issue, would that person simply need to call and order it or are they only available as a collection?

DMCH James
02-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Anyone can call and order any of the remaining back issues...

James

DMCH James
02-28-2012, 12:06 PM
In the letter and email that we sent out to subscribers, we advised that the deadline to respond to this offer is March 2 (this Friday). If you have not yet replied, I encourage you to do so soon. After that date, your remaining subscription value will be applied to the next iteration of "deloreans" magazine, when it is released.

James