PDA

View Full Version : General Annoying console behavior

micmak
02-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Annoying console behavior

Anyone ever devise a method to stop the console from bending outwards towards the driver’s and passenger’s feet? How can you make it stay in tight to the frame? It looks so old and tattered when it curls out into the footwells. I guess you could reinforce the console with some metal strips or something, but how would you mount them without having bolts heads showing? The attached pic does not show a good example of this “curling” but I would guess a lot of guys have this problem. Sometimes it gets in the way of the accelerator. Any ideas? If you remove the console, can you heat both sides and bend them inwards?

......Mike......

Bitsyncmaster
02-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Mine was due to the carpet under the console. So I screwed (one screw) the carpet to the glass underbody.

EdR5150
02-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Console Flap fix: http://ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-TipsTricksMods.htm

Farrar
02-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Tom W figured out this mod:

http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-TipsTricksMods.htm

I intend to fabricate a new console out of ABS plastic which will keep its shape.

DMC5180
02-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Once the carpet pucker is stuck to the underbody(2 sided tape) you can try getting some Adhesive backed (high bond) Velcro Hook tape. Liberally apply several strips (adhesive side) to the inside of the Console flap. The HOOK should attach easily to the carpet loop.

jfirios
02-08-2012, 12:04 AM
they guys at DMC Cali just put a small screw in there to hold it to the tub.
Probably what I am going to do with mine. Though i am thinking of just rebuilding the whole center console anyway. making it out of a fiberglass frame and re covering it.

David T
02-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Remove the console and fit two pieces of thin sheet metal (one on each side) about 1" wide and 6" long. Use them like collar stiffeners and stick them on the back side tucked under the edges.
David Teitelbaum

micmak
02-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Remove the console and fit two pieces of thin sheet metal (one on each side) about 1" wide and 6" long. Use them like collar stiffeners and stick them on the back side tucked under the edges.
David Teitelbaum

That's what I was thinking of David, but I assumed it wouldn't stick without using a few nuts 'n' bolts through the console to secure it. Then the bolts would be easily seen.
Has anyone tried to heat it and bend those corners back in?

......Mike......

Cory W
02-08-2012, 12:24 PM
I doubt it would stay if it was just heated and bent. Mine is a particleboard like substance, which would just warp again over time and repeated temperature variation.

Similar to the headlight fix, you could put some this metal pieces on the inside, held in place with a strong adhesive. Simply fit the pieces, apply the adhesive, and hold it in place with clamps for a day or so. A bit of cardboard on the visible side will keep the clamps from leaving marks or indents.

I have to do this too, and this is how I'm thinking of going about it.

dvonk
02-08-2012, 11:22 PM
...you could put some this metal pieces on the inside, held in place with a strong adhesive.

this is what came to my mind, but wasnt sure how well it would work due to my DeLorean ignorance/inexperience. if you try it, be sure to post photos and let us know how well it works.

GS450-Junkie
10-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Mine was due to the carpet under the console. So I screwed (one screw) the carpet to the glass underbody.

Mine could use a screw. Is there anything behind that section of the underbody? Like the gas tank perhaps?

Bitsyncmaster
10-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Mine could use a screw. Is there anything behind that section of the underbody? Like the gas tank perhaps?

Pretty sure all the piping runs on the frame.

David T
10-02-2016, 04:29 PM
The metal can be slipped into where the materiel is folded over and tucked in along the bottom edge. Gluing it in is also a good idea. Don't use screws.

GS450-Junkie
10-02-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm assuming David meant he would drive one screw through the console flap, through the carpeting into the fiberglass tub. I don't think he's using metal strips anywhere

Bitsyncmaster
10-02-2016, 05:42 PM
I'm assuming David meant he would drive one screw through the console flap, through the carpeting into the fiberglass tub. I don't think he's using metal strips anywhere

Correct. Just a sheet metal type screw holds fine into the fiberglass tub.

David T
10-02-2016, 05:42 PM

No, I mean just a piece of sheet metal tucked into the front lower flaps of the console on each side to hold it straight and against the tunnel. No screws.

micmak
10-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Oh, so someone revived this old thread, eh? Well after the conversation in 2012, I removed the console, heated the curled corners with a paint stripper, and pressed them in. I used several clamps and weights to hold the console at that position for a few days. When I removed everything, the console was perfect. I installed it back into the car and it looked just great. But now, 4 years later, it has gradually warped back out and I am pretty much back to square 1 again. I might try to peel back the material from the corners and slide in a metal strip which I can bend in to hold the corners in place. It's in my list of tasks for this coming Winter.

......Mike......