PDA

View Full Version : Finding stuff on ebay is a joke anymore

Michael
02-12-2012, 06:30 PM
How many of you search ebay for Delorean items only to be bombarded by spam auctions? Ever since ebay allowed multiple searches for a single item, people have been saying their wheel covers fit every car ever made, or their hideous orange fog lights will look great on the hood of your car, or a list of 100 auctions for car covers(all will fit the delorean). Now it's got to the point that I can't even find the honest auctions for all the Auto Zone crap. My searches have got to the point of looking like:

Delorean -"car cover" -brake -led -"wheel cover" -"fog light" -"hot wheels" -"BTTF"

it's just got to the point that it's a circus

I just recently bought a sweet 1 owner low mileage '85 Maxima(always loved that body style) that I am fixing up over the next few months. I can't search for a single thing without wondering through a sea of %^&&*ing LED bulbs, seat covers, floormats, dashmats, or wheel covers. Basically its a list of the JC Whitney parts catalog of universal fit parts....ALL just happen to be a perfect fit for my Maxima.

Just venting here....ebay has just turned into a joke in some ways.

sdg3205
02-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Michael,

you took the words right out of my mouth.

I was raging on this yesterday. It's not become virtually impossible to find anything with all the crap you have to dig through.

DMC3165
02-12-2012, 09:18 PM
I do very little "e-baying" anymore for this exact reason. Now I go on mainly just to browse but even thats getting annoying for the same reason.

Aside from DeLorean related items I like to collect sci-fi and WW II collectables. But there's no way of knowing what's real or fake. The vetting process for selling items could definitely use some improvements.

Nicholas R
02-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Yea I HATE all of the "Fits: DeLorean" parts.

So many damn floor mats, car covers, headlights, lugnuts, etc that someone realized fits our car so they decided to sell 200 of them with the tag "Fits: DeLorean"

Dracula
02-13-2012, 04:17 AM
I've found adding -fits helps a lot. I would love to give up using eBay, but there are many parts I just can't find elsewhere for my plethora of cars. There are also a lot of WWII items I want to buy, but won't spend the money on because of questionable historical authenticity.

Michael
02-13-2012, 07:41 AM
I've found adding -fits helps a lot.

Yup, just last night I saved two searches, one for my Delorean, one for my Maxima. For the Maxima, this search: 1985 maxima -bulb -lug -rotor -turbo -hid -conversion -seat took over 17,500 items down to a little under 400 items.

dvonk
02-13-2012, 12:30 PM
I just recently bought a sweet 1 owner low mileage '85 Maxima(always loved that body style) that I am fixing up over the next few months.

pics? our family car in the mid '80s was a '79 Maxima. :smile:

Ryan
02-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Finding stuff on ebay is quite a bit of slugs anymore.

GS450-Junkie
02-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Don't forget about their fees! What are they up to now about 9.5% to sell an item?? Then they won't let you accept money orders or cash or checks anymore...you have to pay via Paypal.....which is owned by Ebay so you are paying for those transaction fees as well. I'd say hooray for Craigslist, but that can be just as crappy to do searches thru, etc. and when it comes down to it Criagslist could be set up way better than it is. I like that it is free (for now)....but the thing that worries me is that 25% of Craigslist stock is owned by.....you guessed it.....Ebay. :(

dvonk
02-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Finding stuff on ebay is quite a bit of slugs anymore.

WIN. :lol:

Michael
02-13-2012, 07:34 PM
pics? our family car in the mid '80s was a '79 Maxima. :smile:

Here ya go, I have not touched it yet, it's just too cold outside. I need to detail it, paint the mirrors, fix a very small rust spot in the quarter, have a few dents popped out and fix a few minor things(power antenna, trunk release switch,DS window regulator..all minor) but this is one sweet ride. I put almost 100 miles on her the day I bought it, it just rides so smooth! I will post plenty more pics in a month or so when she is ready to shine.

1985 Maxima(my fav. body style) one owner with 113k, exceptional condition. Picked it up for 1,400 :)
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8435&d=1329179228
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8436&d=1329179279

dvonk
02-13-2012, 07:59 PM
nice, its in beautiful shape! its very similar to our old '79 Maxima, but more modern, of course. ours was probably the most reliable vehicle our family owned; really well made. we kept ours until 1992 i believe, when my parents donated it to a charity. she still had plenty of life left in her.

congratulations! :biggrin:

Kenny_Z
02-15-2012, 11:13 PM
I've noticed quite a few parts from a parted out 81 on there going for exactly what a brand new part from Houston costs. It is like the seller assumed we want used parts over NOS. Plus, what the heck is with that fiberglass roof section that was sliced off? Would anyone really buy that? I can't imagine it being something in need of replacement. It is always for sale.