PDA

View Full Version : General windshield washer hose at the pump

Farrar
06-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Hi, gang.

I'm working on a revamp of the windshield washer system (mine is beginning to prove less effective as I end up fiddling with the cowl) and need to know a little bit about the system at the other end. My modification will include re-routing the hose slightly, so I have a question about access:

Is it necessary to remove the pump in order to get to the hose where the fluid exits the reservoir? I hear the reservoir/pump assembly is held in a sort of bucket, which is held with rivnuts into fiberglass, making it prone to breaking during removal and replacement.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Best,
Farrar

dmc6960
06-07-2011, 03:25 PM
The pump itself ( 8 ) threads into a plug adapter (6) near the bottom of the reservoir. No hose, no nipple, just a hole. A long while back (2001) I threw out my old pump which was siezed, and put a generic pump in its place, or rather next to its place. Using a bunch of rubber and sillicone I routed a new hose pickup to the pump, then connected the hose to the washer line.

http://www.delorean.com/store/images/CATEGORY/large/3-6-1.gif

If your really looking to get a good wash system, try to find a squirt nozzle that can go near the base of each wiper. Then it would spray directly in front of the entire wipe path as they raise. Given the geometry of the windshield, wipers, cowl, and hood, that is your best option. I've seen it on cars before, just dont know which ones.

Farrar
06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks, Jim.

I don't know if you saw the photos on the old DMCTalk, but I currently have two jets, mounted on the cowl. What I've done is put a small length of hose on the original nipple, which makes a quick U-bend to go underneath the cowl, where it goes to a T. Thence, two more lengths of hose, one to each nozzle. Unfortunately, since my cowl is broken, it means that one of the hoses is slightly squished -- this results in a lot of spray on one side of the windshield and a sort of weak spray on the other side. I was planning, when I replace the cowl, with replacing the current "U-bend to a T" setup with a T mounted underneath, and replacing the stock, center-mounted nipple with two nipples mounted equidistant from the center.

However, upon looking at the available space underneath the cowl, I don't think there will be enough room for that, as the stock nipple actually protrudes through a "cutout" in the stock cowl. Since I am unable to fabricate a custom cowl, I am currently visualizing a different solution. I haven't sketched anything yet, but if I get around to it, I will post it in "Farrar's Car Blog."

Thanks for the illustration! My manuals are currently packed and I won't have them available until July. Somehow, I forgot all about the illustrations on Houston's website... doh!

Edit: Follow-up question...

Is there enough room between the stainless panel and the plastic/carpet panel to run a hose for the washer fluid? Anyone had that panel off? How easy is it to remove/replace?

Farrar

dmc6960
06-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Is there enough room between the stainless panel and the plastic/carpet panel to run a hose for the washer fluid? Anyone had that panel off? How easy is it to remove/replace?

Are you talking about the left front fender? There is no need to remove the fender. There is a big opening in the fiberglass tub which the wiring harness and current washer hose goes through. There is a bushing you'll see with the washer tub removed, and you'll also easily see the large bundle of wires (and washer hose) going through the front fiberglass in the driver's footwell. It might be a little tricky snaking a new line through there (since there are limited holes on both sides) but its definitely easier than removing the fender.

Farrar
06-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Are you talking about the left front fender?

No; I'm talking about the luggage compartment cover.

You're right, though -- no need to remove the left front fender.

Thanks,
Farrar

dmc6960
06-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Ahh, the hood/bonnet/giantsheetofstainlesssteel.

Are you pondering putting nozzles in your bonnet? Can I assume you mean to clip them to the edge rather than drilling through the surface?

There is open space in the "X" which forms the structural frame of the bonnet. This is what the wiring for the luggage compartment light goes though. Unsure how easy it would be to snake a new tube through that though. Even then, you'll probably need to drill a new hole at the end to let it out (tube could enter through the wiring grommet).

Farrar
06-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Are you pondering putting nozzles in your bonnet? Can I assume you mean to clip them to the edge rather than drilling through the surface?

Correct! There's enough space at the edge to mount them using small brackets. The brackets will be attached to the plastic (easier to fill holes in the event of returning to stock). There is absolutely no way I would drill holes in the stainless to mount nozzles there.

There is open space in the "X" which forms the structural frame of the bonnet. This is what the wiring for the luggage compartment light goes though. Unsure how easy it would be to snake a new tube through that though. Even then, you'll probably need to drill a new hole at the end to let it out (tube could enter through the wiring grommet).

I was indeed planning on putting the tube through the grommet where the wires go through -- and having it exit through the hole where the light fixture was. (See here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j6kdoyPvR8) for reference.) I would install a T there, and the two lengths of hose to the new nozzles would be affixed to the underside of the cover/lid/thingummy the same way the light bars are -- Velcro. This would, I hope, avoid sharp bends in the tubing.

I haven't made any steps in this direction, but that's what I am thinking. What do you think? Feasible?

Farrar

dmc6960
06-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I still think a nozzle at the BASE of each wiper pointing up the arm is the best way to go. You've inspired me to look for a new aftermarket nozzle for this purpose, but I have yet to find one.

Farrar
06-08-2011, 12:28 PM
I still think a nozzle at the BASE of each wiper pointing up the arm is the best way to go. You've inspired me to look for a new aftermarket nozzle for this purpose, but I have yet to find one.

As mentioned, I have already done this. Also as mentioned, with a broken cowl it doesn't work that well.

I used an $8 kit from AutoZone plus bits of hose.

Edit: pics!

Farrar

Farrar
06-09-2011, 01:45 PM
By the way, let me know if you'd like other pictures of my setup.

Farrar