PDA

View Full Version : Australia Wow

denis45700
02-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Going through other countries Delorean websites I came across the Australian Delorean Forum, ozdelorean.com What do you think.

jb

:*

Items
Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:56 pm** *Post subject:
Not sure when the issue was rectified "later on"! that's about all I know!*
The only thing that is a guarantee with Deloreans, is due to its brief,but turbulent production history,not much went to*planduring building of these*cars,, inexperienced work force,supplier issues, complex design,poor build quality,a way too short development period,etc,etc, so as to why some*cars*have problems and some don't can just be attributed to good or bad luck !!!!*

One thing I can add from years of ownership and a frequent visitor to web sites such as dmctalk.com for example is the unusual nature of the owners of Deloreans ( I don't mean the owners are unusual!!) Its just that the owners are not often*carenthusiasts, just Delorean enthusiasts!! (or bttf) and don't have much knowledge of any*car*much less a Delorean!! Of coarse there is NOTHING wrong with that at all!!NOT referring to anyone down here,, I am referring to sites such as the USA based dmctalk.com . It is no wonder people think the Delorean is the most troublesome*car*on the planet as some of the strange questions and answers that appear on that site are almost amusing at times. Some owners must think their*car*was assembled by aliens in a far away planet and delivered to us with no instructions!!! I mean at the end of the day it is still just a*car*with wheels and a engine!!!! lol!!*
Also their terminology differs somewhat compared to ours ,which is confusing and no wonder some folks have all sorts of trouble,*
Example, when they (the Americans) say the*car" will not turn over" we automatically think just that!! Engine wont crank over, THEY, mean it wont start! turns over but wont fire!!!*
Questions I have read"what sort of air do you put in the tyers?(we say tyres!! lol wtf?? ok to take it thru a*car wash? what sort of wiper inserts should you use?? just tap water for the wiper washers?lol!!What sort of battery should I get? bloody hell!!!(ah, a good one?)*
Its also not uncommon to read about someones issue,know exactly what they are talking about,but somebody else has misinterpreted what they said(or has no idea!) and goes off on a different tangent,leading them astray!!!*
Anyway all good fun!! one of the joys of ownership I guess!! good to see all you guys in QLD,SA ,and I guess any other state able to register your*cars*now. enjoy them at last!. Oddly enough, down here in Vic,even though we have been able to use ourcars*on Club permits for the last 5 years, but now can get full rego (as they are old enough),as of Feb 1, the LONG awaited log book system is being introduced by vic roads!! so we don't really need to register them anyway!Some might,but I certainly wont need to!*
cheers guys jb
Tag Cloud
Cars*Preparation software tax*Cars*Car Washes*Model Cars*Car Rental*Car Battery*Car deal rental*Car rental deal*Car Models*Rental Car*Car Models*Car rental deal

Cal

Items
Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:57 pm** *Post subject:
JB. It's interesting you say this. After all these years of dreaming and reading up on them I'd become indoctrinated into the "they're fun and wonderful but not very reliable" camp without even realising. Even DMC folks themselves I spoke to kinda talked them down. So I just took it as read that D ownership would be a rollercoaster ride of short periods of smoothish sailing interspersed with long garage periods, grazed knuckles and muffled, engine-bay borne swearing.*

But after my recent trip across the States I've realised that to some extent this is so much hooey (to put it delicately). Sure she's a thirty year old, limited run car with unusual features and some cut corners during production, but keeping that in mind I've been pleasantly surprised so far.*

I took a vehicle that had been used sparingly for the last couple of years and, in the space of two months, added around 12,000km to her. She went from warm coastal air, through cold mountains along a highway that peaked at just above 10,000 feet, and across large areas of desert.*

During this time she developed a few niggling issues sure, but the entirety of major problems amounted to one burst coolant hose and a stalling issue that was resolved with a changed fuel filter.*

Of course I've got some work ahead of me, but then I never expected a 'fit and forget' Falcon or Corolla. I kept a VB Commodore on the road for years, and by the time I finally surrendered her, she had a loose cable bypassing the starter motor to get her going, a warped head and drank oil like it was water (and water like it was air!).*

I can't help but think that the D's got a bit of a maligned reputation, and I'm really looking forward to getting her into the best nick I can.*

Of course I'm still a relative newbie owner, so it may be that I'll be back on this forum in six months eating my words.*

Astillius

Items
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:57 am** *Post subject:
best example of D ownership in reality is Lance.*

he uses it as a daily driver. you CANNOT do that with an unreliable car. the key to his success really, is doing what any semi-intelligent person should do. which is look after the f***ing thing. so many people just ignore their cars basic needs and then have the audacity to call it unreliable. you'd be a tad unreliable too if you never got fed and watered your whole life. and to top it off, some people seem to think you shouldn't need to. oh no, they have to take 10 minutes out of a WEEK to put oil and water into the car...*

these are things most americans won't do, because well. to put it bluntly. most americans are idiots...*

add to all of that, the fact that alot of people buy it and expect it to run like a new car... you just want to walk up to them and slap them and say "HELLO. IT'S 30 YEARS OLD. LETS SEE YOU RUN LIKE A CHILD WHEN YOU'RE 30."*

quickly becomes obvious why it gets labeled as 'unreliable'. so your best bet is to do what i do in all things. ignore everyone else and form your own decision based on your own experience.*

stupid people make me rage. :p*

Note: i don't think of anybody on this forum as stupid.*

jb

Items
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:05 pm** *Post subject:
Could not agree more!*
True,although the folks over there(the US) are extremely friendly,hospitable bunch(most of them)! they do not have much Idea how to look after cars,never really have,maybe its their disposable world they live in? Who knows.*

They are also not so good as describing cars either,*

Add no.1 "Great condition,low miles,always garaged,lady owner". Translation:,Very average cond.sat around neglected.Garaged at the panel shop because the little old lady not too good a judging distances and crashed it constantly.*

Add 2.Average cond"needs a little work" translation; Its F**ked!*

As we all love our cars,we also know that the 'D' is like any other car ,neglect it and it will inevitably give you trouble,look after it,check and repair its known issues and should be no problem!.....should have dozens of trouble free miles!! lol! cheers jb

Astillius

Items

Dangermouse
02-15-2012, 01:58 PM
1. Title typo -Australia, not Austria
2. at least two of those posters are here on 'talk.

:popcorn:

Good old po-tat-o, pot-at-o discussions.

Mike C.
02-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Oh yeah?

Well... Mad Max sucked. :wave2:

:giddy:

SIMid
02-15-2012, 04:38 PM
:lol:

Yeah, we are a unique bunch of people living upside down. :p

DMCVegas
02-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Going through other countries Delorean websites I came across the Australian Delorean Forum, ozdelorean.com What do you think.

Items
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:05 pm** *Post subject:
Could not agree more!*
True,although the folks over there(the US) are extremely friendly,hospitable bunch(most of them)! they do not have much Idea how to look after cars,never really have,maybe its their disposable world they live in? Who knows.*

They are also not so good as describing cars either,*

Add no.1 "Great condition,low miles,always garaged,lady owner". Translation:,Very average cond.sat around neglected.Garaged at the panel shop because the little old lady not too good a judging distances and crashed it constantly.*

Add 2.Average cond"needs a little work" translation; Its F**ked!*

As we all love our cars,we also know that the 'D' is like any other car ,neglect it and it will inevitably give you trouble,look after it,check and repair its known issues and should be no problem!.....should have dozens of trouble free miles!! lol! cheers jb

Astillius

Items

Truer words never spoken. Absolutely most of us Americans treat vehicles as disposable appliances. I grew up with parents who had a passed-down mentality that ALL vehicles will eventually break down and become unreliable once they reach a certain age/mileage. Most people I know also have this mentality as well.

Totally agree with the generalization that we don't know how to describe cars either.

DMCVegas
02-15-2012, 05:17 PM
I couldn't resist...

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q593/DMCVegas/meanwhiledmc.jpg

Mike C.
02-15-2012, 07:13 PM
I couldn't resist...

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q593/DMCVegas/meanwhiledmc.jpg

LMAO! Epic!
:hihi2:

SIMid
02-15-2012, 07:31 PM
LMAO! Epic!
:hihi2:

+1 :lol:

Kenny_Z
02-15-2012, 10:20 PM
My ex is from Australia. I used to caller her upside-down-girl and future-girl all the time to annoy her. She was constantly neglecting her car. Eventually it ended up breaking down hard and getting crushed. Why? Because she ran it out of oil. Her father sold cars for a living yet this girl couldn't take hers to get the oil changed.

Jimmyvonviggle
02-15-2012, 10:26 PM
This thread makes me want to watch crocodile dundee and listen to men at work.

Those Aussie remarks are a bit insulting and I'm not even an American.

DMCVegas
02-15-2012, 11:18 PM
1Those Aussie remarks are a bit insulting and I'm not even an American.

To quote Dave Foley from The Kids in the Hall:

http://rlv.zcache.com/im_canadian_american_without_the_gun_sticker-p217501717394388692qjcl_400.jpg

Brisfx
02-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Thats my car second in line in that pic

Mike C.
02-16-2012, 07:16 AM
I read through the OP's copied paragraphs, and although alot of it was afterall was tongue in cheek, I know what alot of the griping was about.

Even though the old .com site is dead, the questioning of certain things such as:

....Questions I have read"what sort of air do you put in the tyers?(we say tyres!! lol wtf?? ok to take it thru a*car wash? what sort of wiper inserts should you use?? just tap water for the wiper washers?lol!!What sort of battery should I get? bloody hell!!!(ah, a good one?)*

I think what our Aussie brethren don't realize is questions like these actually do make sense, and here is why:

In the US, the question as to what to inflate your tires with makes sense because of Nitro Fill. Back when Nitro Fill was being introduced, a question came up on the board asking if it was beneficial to fill up the tires with Nitrogen versus normal air from an air pump. We weren't debating if air vs. air is different. So the comment, based on context, was incorrect.

As far as "taking the car through a car wash", which has been brought up on the forum here, seems to be a legitimate question as well. Do owners prefer hand washing their DeLorean versus sticking them in a machine that beats on the car with the brushes. Case in point, Dan Harris took his DeLorean into a car wash right before the Celebration Exotic Car Festival. The automated brushes broke off BOTH of his mirrors. Poor Dan was at a car show with million dollar cars, and his mirrors were hanging by the wires. This is good to know that some car washes are not wide enough for the DeLorean.

I agree that wiper inserts is a silly question, but some people want to know what brands are better. In your harsher environments, you can't tell me that cheap wipers don't wear out faster than in other areas. Is there an advantage to a silicone blade versus a rubber blade? Does a single pressure point wiper work better than a conventional 6 point wiper? All valid questions.

Tap water in your washer bottle? I remember this one. In the US, some areas have water with more minerals. Someone was asking if anyone else had issues with water spots after washing their car or on the glass. It turned out be he lived in an area with what's called hard water.

What sort of battery should i get? Once again, I don't know what is available in Australia, but over here we had people who purchased sealed cell batteries (Optima batteries) that were having trouble. It turned out that the red top optima batteries had issues once de-charged in some cases, so people switched to they yellow top. We also list a cross reference of batteries people can buy in a pinch if they happen to be stranded somewhere, and can't find "delorean" listed at the parts store (a similar problem I know you all have over there).

I know most of that old post was said in jest, but after being on the forums for just a shade under 10 years, people ask relevant questions, and some people ask silly questions. I'm sure you can all understand that yes, there are different terms we use culturally that Australians don't.

As far as the point about selling cars, lol... yeah, that's true. Most people are completely full of shit when it comes to the description they put on vehicles when selling them. You should see half of the "excellent condition, runs great!!!" cars i've come across! Holy shit! hahaha! If anyone over there is looking for a car, i have one for sale. It's in excellent condition and runs great! Just let me know!

Anyways, thank you Australia for 1990's Days of Thunder era Nicole Kidman.

RIUM+
02-16-2012, 07:53 AM
"Australia Wow" ...I'm not quite sure what you mean or what you are implying by this thread title, but I'm pretty sure you don't realise its irony.

With all due respect, thinking that everyone in a certain country is exactly like a forum poster is the same as a forum poster thinking everyone in a certain country is the same. I don't care what the quoted posters said, whether it's true or untrue, or if it's something people agree or disagree with. Please don't be so discriminatory as to say that 22 million people all think the same way.

(Especially not in a post where you're trying to call out someone else for making the same kind of sweeping generalisations!)

Mike C.
02-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Like I said, personally as an American that does know somethin' bout cars, I honestly don't think the post on the Australian board was honestly derrogatory, but moreso just pointing out some differences in car culture and forum content.

Like DMCVegas stated, we do tend to treat our cars like disposable appliances in alot of cases. I can definitely see the comparison.

denis45700
02-16-2012, 01:04 PM
RIUM the only thing you got right in your paragraph was you are not sure what I meant.
I have a lot of relatives in Australia. So no this is not to the hole of Australia, just you and the Australian delorean club. Am i saying that you all have these same views yes and no. I did not see your post or any others stating anything was wrong with the comments made on the biggest delorean forum in Australia. I hope this clears things up for you.

Brisfx
02-17-2012, 07:24 AM
I am a member of that forum and this one, been a Delorean owner for at least three years. I can tell you that those few posts do not represent the thoughts of every Australian who is a member of that forum. There are good and bad owners the world over. I have had great help and assistance from many people in the US and love visiting there. Dave and Julee are fantastic and I consider them good fiends as well.

Please don't lump all Australians (or people on the OZDELOREAN forum) together after reading a few remarks by one or two people. That would be the same as me regarding all people on DMC Talk as having the same opinion.

In general I have found Delorean owners the world over to be helpful and considerate.

Brad

denis45700
02-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Brad if you do not have these views and you are a member of ozdelorean just one question? Where is your post on that website saying that. Super fast to post here though. Here on dmc talk if someone posted comments like that there would be fifty posts saying that they were wrong. There was not one post there against it. Yes I have visited just about every delorean site in the world and yours is the most hostile in my opinion. It is just not these few comments that I copied here there was a lot of shitty posts on there anti everything. So keep a eye out. Speak up there also, and turn it around. This is why I posted this thread.*

Mike C.
02-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Ok, we are going to cool this down.

We are not going to start an US versus THEM forum war.

People on other forums are allowed to have opposing views. People on this forum do not always stick up for DMCTalk on controversy here in the US. I look at the DML and don't see anyone defending DMCTalk.org over there, including myself, and I helped BUILD this site. If anyone should be pissed off.... but i'm not.

People don't have to like DMCTalk. There are things about other forums I am a member of that I don't like, but I enjoy the forum for what it is.

For one thing, that thread on the Australian site is over a year old. Look at the post dates. The posts over on that forum don't reflect DMCTalk.org, they are made about DMCTalk.com. The last few months of .com were full of people bitching at each other, very little valid information being passed anymore, etc...
As far as i'm concerned, we are DMCTalk.org and that is all that matters. Even if we weren't, I am not going to chastize an entire board or country for not coming to the defense of our forum.

I have met some amazing people all over the world thanks to these forums, and I will continue to be friendly to anyone and everyone. If some people don't like our board, or US owners, then that's their right. It's not everyones responsibility to defend everyone else 100% of the time.

So lets quit calling out members of other forums for things that were said in January 2011.

-Mike

Brisfx
02-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks Mike

Couldn't agree more. I don't read every post on all forums I am a member of and if I had read these would have said something

All good

Brad

DMCVegas
02-17-2012, 12:02 PM
For one thing, that thread on the Australian site is over a year old. Look at the post dates. The posts over on that forum don't reflect DMCTalk.org, they are made about DMCTalk.com. The last few months of .com were full of people bitching at each other, very little valid information being passed anymore, etc...
As far as i'm concerned, we are DMCTalk.org and that is all that matters. Even if we weren't, I am not going to chastize an entire board or country for not coming to the defense of our forum.

:thumbup:

Not that you need any validation from me, but I'll totally vouch for that being the absolute truth. .org is nothing, nothing at all like .com. I don't know if it's because not everyone came back, or if it was a chance to wipe the slate clean and start again (especially after losing the old site and letting everyone experience what it would be like without it), but things around here have definitely changed. The only "crackdown" I've seen that differs from before is the lack of political/religious threads. I think that did more to divide people than anything.

Whatever the reason, it doesn't matter. This site has definitely nothing like the one before in terms of toxic arguments. I didn't come back for a while because of this, but I am now glad that I did because it is a better place.

Having said that, sure, we're going to disagree sometimes. And there are some opinions here that I don't always agree with. But hey, like Mike says, take the forum for what it is. I take it as a great place to meet up and exchange information and occasional humor. What someone else gets out of it may be different, and that's ok. But what I find useful or funny doesn't always reflect that of everyone else, and vice-versa. Though overall this place is much better than it was before, and that cannot be stressed enough.

denis45700
02-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Yes Mike your are 100% right fun while it lasted. Thanks for being a part of getting a great web site up and running.

DMCMW Julee
02-17-2012, 01:20 PM
...There are good and bad owners the world over. I have had great help and assistance from many people in the US and love visiting there. Dave and Julee are fantastic and I consider them good fiends as well.

Please don't lump all Australians (or people on the OZDELOREAN forum) together after reading a few remarks by one or two people. That would be the same as me regarding all people on DMC Talk as having the same opinion.

In general I have found Delorean owners the world over to be helpful and considerate.

Brad

Spot on Brad! There are negative people in every corner of the world. Fortunately, the positive people and experiences outnumber them. We have connected with many fantastic people in Australia and Dave and I look forward to visiting with you all some day!

We are not going to start an US versus THEM forum war.

...I have met some amazing people all over the world thanks to these forums, and I will continue to be friendly to anyone and everyone. If some people don't like our board, or US owners, then that's their right. It's not everyones responsibility to defend everyone else 100% of the time.

So lets quit calling out members of other forums for things that were said in January 2011.

-Mike

Amen Mike! It is hard enough to agree with the members in your own family 100% of the time let alone the world at large!

I believe Rodney King said it best: "Why can't we all just get along?" ;)