PDA

View Full Version : found another potentially abandoned D.

timothymoore
02-19-2012, 11:21 PM
When i started school last september and brought my D to school, i was informed by some of my fellow students that in the neighboring city of parkersburg WVA @ the jiffy lube on the main drag that there was a D that had been sitting there for well over 10 years. i didnt believe the story myself,i thought they were messing with me.

well today, my dad and i went to parkersburg to look at harbor frieght and some other department stores when we passed the jiffy lube. we ended up stopping, and when i looked in side , there is what i think is an 83 sitting in the bay with the back bumper off, the front tires and hubs off each side with the front end jacked up.

The car has been sitting for some time because it has a good nice coating of dust on it. The jiffy lube is closed down but is connected to a storage unit facility but im not sure if anyone is actively working on the car because of the amount of dust however, it looks like there was some door struts or what not from DMC laying in front of the car. the body looks to be in mint condition. Is there anyone on here from that area that knows anything about the car? when im in that area again i will take a couple pictures.

thirdmanj
02-20-2012, 12:29 PM
This would be a spectacular "car rescue" if you could pull it off!! You said it looks like the Jiffy Lube is closed permanently? Id love to see something good come out of this find! Good luck dude!!

dmc6960
02-21-2012, 11:23 AM
This August 2007 Google Street View image shows the two main bays open and empty, but there are many other smaller bays off to the side which cannot be seen in. Which one is the DeLorean in right now?

timothymoore
02-21-2012, 11:31 AM
its on the other side closest to the road. the jiffy lube today appears to closed down due to some legal issue perhaps. there is some government piece of paper taped to the window on the other side.

dmc6960
02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Looking at the other side of the building there is just an office closer to the road, so the open left bay in the attached picture would be the one in question here. No DeLorean there as of 4 1/2 years ago, so 10+ years of being COMLETELY abandoned is not the case. Would still be interesting to get more details on this though.

Karin
02-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Good thing for us as a well-caring community to look out for these cars that inconsiderate people ditch. We need to get a radar that detects DeLoreans, especially these.

thirdmanj
02-21-2012, 08:54 PM
I'd be willing to wager this one would be worth more parted out.

timothymoore
02-21-2012, 10:45 PM
I'd be willing to wager this one would be worth more parted out.

i dont know, cosmetically it looks really solid. front fascia isnt warped at all, no dents in the body, i think the engine might be heading towards a rebuild perhaps. im not sure , just speculating. from what i can see, the frame looked nice. on thursday will take a digital camera up there to take a few pictures.