PDA

View Full Version : Moving to US - advice on cars please!

dmcjohn
02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi all,

We're moving to the USA in 2 weeks (NJ). :nana1:

We've 2 kids, and need to buy 2 cars - one for me and one for my wife, and each has to have back seats for the kids, so unfortunately an old Corvette is off the list.

We've decided on one of them - a 07 or 08 Mustang Coupe - have rented a few of these over the years and love driving them - so this would be my wife's car.

But the other car is where I'm not sure what to get. It'll be my car for getting to work (a short 7 mile commute each way), but it needs to be bigger than the Mustang for being able to do weekly shopping, and occasionally picking people up from the airport with luggage etc, so I'm kind of leaning towards an SUV. I'm also thinking it would be good to have something which can tow a car on a trailer occasionally, and also having one 4wd vehicle in the family might be useful in the winters.

I don't want to spend big money on it, maybe $5k to $6k - I don't mind getting something older so long as its reliable and doesn't cost a fortune in parts to fix if/when it goes wrong.

Looking on ebay at that kind of money, looks like I could get something like a 2002 or 2003 Ford Explorer or Dodge Durango or Chevy Trailblazer.

Anyone any thoughts on the above or suggestions on what car to get?

Thanks!
John

thirdmanj
02-27-2012, 03:39 PM
I hear the Jeep "Patriot" is nice.

valdez
02-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Just my 2 cents.
Don't waste money on a 4x4 they cost a lot to fuel. Sure, get something that can pull if you have a trailer. I don't think a 4x4 will be of any benefit in NJ if you stay on the roads. I've never needed one in Canada.
The only people that need it are those who drive down rough trails for a reason, the rest just want it.
I've done all my off roading in a 2wd Toyota Tercel. Only got stuck once trying to turn around on a narrow snowmobile trail.

Bitsyncmaster
02-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Don't you want 4 doors if your kids are still in car seats? Is the Mustang a 2 door.

Repairs on a 4x4 can break you. So as was suggested, avoid them. SUVs do not get as good MPG as a car would. But with your short drive it may not be that important.

Dangermouse
02-27-2012, 05:57 PM
John

Any "standard" sized family car is going to feel huuuugggeee compared to family cars in Ireland.

When my kids were your kids age, we had an Explorer, albeit the earlier version. And they struggled getting in and out (by themselves ). We swapped it out for a minivan, swallowed my pride (and mancard) and have had one ever since. Infinitely versatile and as you know, you drive everywhere in the states and always seem to be taking a couple of friends along so the extra seating is great.

Just a thought. And if you are lucky, your wife will take the van and you can take the 'stang 

Rich W
02-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Hi John,

Speaking from the experience of having done some part-time towing with a vehicle
that will carry several passengers, easy and inexpensive to fix, get decent MPG's
and still have a little fun as a daily commuter, (and few hassles in Winter) I would
recommend going with a late 90's or early 2000's version of the Ford Crown Victoria.

Make sure your Crown Vic has the limited slip option (for Winter use and for towing)
and you want to add a transmission cooler if you intend to tow in the NJ mountains.
Either get a trailer with surge brakes or add a brake controller for electric brakes.
Later Crown Vic's come standard with 4 wheel disc brakes to help the trailer brakes.

In the early 2000's, I used my 1994 Crown Vic to tow numerous DeLoreans, as well
as a full-size Bronco and GT40 Rock Crawler, safely, for several thousands of miles.

Plenty of room to cart around my four nephews or several co-workers, if needed.
You can also fit many DeLorean parts inside (example: louver fits in the back seat).

For all the needs you listed, the Crown Vic may be the best over-all choice.

Later,
Rich W.

dmcjohn
02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Don't you want 4 doors if your kids are still in car seats? Is the Mustang a 2 door.

Repairs on a 4x4 can break you. So as was suggested, avoid them. SUVs do not get as good MPG as a car would. But with your short drive it may not be that important.

Hi Dave,

Kids are 8 and 4 - we've had them in Mustangs before - they can climb in the back and strap themselves in no prob, so no issue getting a 2 door. :)

Thanks for the advice on the 4x4 (and thanks also Valdez) - maybe it is a bit overkill and a waste of fuel, along with big repair bills should they arise.

Dermot, I don't think I can get a minivan - practical yes, but just don't think I can do it!

When you say standard size car - are you talking about a Crown Vic or similar? Any interesting cars in mind? If I could afford it I'd get a Challenger - can seat 3 in the back if necessary, and a huge boot (trunk!). But, realistically are there any 4 door cars that would be ok in winter driving which are still fun to drive/own?

Thanks a mil!
John

dmcjohn
02-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks Rich - I had just posted guessing if Dermot was talking about a Crown Vic, then saw your post!

They seem very affordable on ebay also - looks like a lot of car for the money.

I did a roadtrip 10 years ago in a Crown Vic / Grand Marquis with some friends - 8000 miles and 19 states in 16 days - the car was very comfortable and never missed a beat for the whole trip...

Did you have a 6 or 8 cylinder Rich? Not sure if they even come with a 6?

Thanks,
John

Bitsyncmaster
02-27-2012, 06:44 PM
You may like an Impala (maybe other Chevy models) SS with the supercharged engine but that requires high test gas. Lots of mid sized cars comfortably seat 5 people. Most also can fold the rear seats down so you can carry large items (skis, golf clubs, etc) if needed. A van would probably give you a good value for the money but it sounds like your looking for something sporty.

DMC3165
02-27-2012, 08:11 PM
I have 2 small kids too. So to be practical I picked up a 2012 Nissan altima. Just to preface this I hate Japanese cars and at first I only bought the Nissan because of the incentives that were offered. But I absolutely love this car. It's great on gas roomy and comfortable. I think you can still lease one for under $150 a month. I remember seeing a dealer in Jersy that was offering base models for around $123. A month! I think he was on route 22 in union NJ if that helps you any.

MTDMC
02-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Buy a 2008 or newer Chevy Impala. Great cars to drive.

DMCMW Dave
02-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Meh - if you want the primo Big American Car Experience, and best tow vehicle there is, with a 7 mile drive and gas at half the price you are used to, get yerself a Chevy Suburban.

I don't know where the stories about expensive repairs come from - between Mike and I we have have three of them, and the low-mile one has 100,000 miles on the odo and the high-miler is probably at 200K and is now a plow truck too.

Not much maintenance other than oil changes and brake pads. And the occasional fuel pump.

Absolutely no fun to drive though, the experience is best described as driving around in your living room sofa with marginal brakes. Honestly a Crown Vic isn't much different to drive, although a lot lower to the ground.

----------------
If towing isn't really an issue, I still think my current BMW 5-series (E39 6-cyl) is the best car I've ever owned and the most fun to drive other than a true sports car. 4 doors, 5-speed manual, 20-30 mpg. Unbelievably low maintenance costs on this one too.

Dangermouse
02-27-2012, 11:37 PM
On reflection John, my advice is don't buy your wife a Mustang!!

That is assuming that she will be the main care giver for the kids. Vacationing with a two-door is very different to having one as your main car.

(comments based on my experiences in suburban atlanta. - your results may vary)

Going through the car pool line (aka drive-through, and yes they have them at schools here) in the morning you will notice that 85% of the parents have minivans or SUV's of some sort. That's because trying to off-load two kids in big coats, even bigger backpacks and a selection of lunchbags, musical instruments/sports equipment/art project/science project is a PITA without doors :)

You will spend your first year buying stuff - furniture, toys, yard equipment, DIY stuff maybe. Craigslist will be your friend. You need something big to go get it all in!

The moms/mums in the car pool lane also want the big vans/SUVs to protect their precious offspring so that when they are hit by a texting teenager in her Honda, they will be safe.

So get a van/people carrier/ SUV for Deirdre/family trips and get a mid 80s fox-body mustang 5.0 for you !

I know you hate vans but you know they make sense. Come over to the dark side. It'll only be for 8-10 years 

dmcjohn
02-28-2012, 08:52 AM
You may like an Impala (maybe other Chevy models) SS with the supercharged engine but that requires high test gas. Lots of mid sized cars comfortably seat 5 people. Most also can fold the rear seats down so you can carry large items (skis, golf clubs, etc) if needed. A van would probably give you a good value for the money but it sounds like your looking for something sporty.

Cool - I will check into the Impala - something a bit sporty would be great.

I have 2 small kids too. So to be practical I picked up a 2012 Nissan altima. Just to preface this I hate Japanese cars...

Hi Chris, thanks - but have to get something American - I'm not moving to the US to drive Japanese cars!

Meh - if you want the primo Big American Car Experience, and best tow vehicle there is, with a 7 mile drive and gas at half the price you are used to, get yerself a Chevy Suburban. .

Hi Dave - probably too big for what I need - good to hear about low maintenance costs though.

If towing isn't really an issue, I still think my current BMW 5-series (E39 6-cyl) is the best car I've ever owned and the most fun to drive other than a true sports car. 4 doors, 5-speed manual, 20-30 mpg. Unbelievably low maintenance costs on this one too.

I could do something like that - at least it would be a fun car to drive. Ok its not American but at least its not Japanese/Korean/etc. :)

If I was thinking of that, I'd also think about an E class W210 - we have one of those in Ireland and its a lovely car to drive.

On reflection John, my advice is don't buy your wife a Mustang!!

That is assuming that she will be the main care giver for the kids. Vacationing with a two-door is very different to having one as your main car.

(comments based on my experiences in suburban atlanta. - your results may vary)

Going through the car pool line (aka drive-through, and yes they have them at schools here) in the morning you will notice that 85% of the parents have minivans or SUV's of some sort. That's because trying to off-load two kids in big coats, even bigger backpacks and a selection of lunchbags, musical instruments/sports equipment/art project/science project is a PITA without doors :)

You will spend your first year buying stuff - furniture, toys, yard equipment, DIY stuff maybe. Craigslist will be your friend. You need something big to go get it all in!

The moms/mums in the car pool lane also want the big vans/SUVs to protect their precious offspring so that when they are hit by a texting teenager in her Honda, they will be safe.

So get a van/people carrier/ SUV for Deirdre/family trips and get a mid 80s fox-body mustang 5.0 for you !

I know you hate vans but you know they make sense. Come over to the dark side. It'll only be for 8-10 years 

Hey Dermot,

There's no way either myself or Deirdre would get a minivan! I agree it makes sense, but just couldn't do it!

Deirdre wants to have a cool car for a change rather than the family car (I'll still have my DMC too so I have my toy!), so I think the Mustang is a good compromise between cool and still being practical! (sort of) :)

Thanks all for all the suggestions,
John

Dangermouse
02-28-2012, 09:05 AM
There's no way either myself or Deirdre would get a minivan! I agree it makes sense, but just couldn't do it!

I'll give you a year and we'll see :wave2:

dmcjohn
02-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Ok - if we give in after a year, at least we'll still have had the Mustang for a year!

Mustang has to be done - part of living the American dream eh?!

Dangermouse
02-28-2012, 10:48 AM
I agree entirely. When we came stateside, we decided to only look at cars that we couldn't get in the UK. Initially we were only here for 2 years so we ended up with a Mercury Sable (with electronic dash) and then a Ford Probe - ditto (which did end up in the UK for sale). Both pretty shite cars, but in our price bracket, that too was part of the American dream in the early 90's ;). (no offence intended)

Really, you should get a Mustang convertible, two things you wouldn't normally use in Ireland ! Kids can 'Dukes of Hazzard' exit out of the back seats too when the top is down :0

dmcjohn
04-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys and just to update what I did in the end - I got an 04 Explorer XLT with the 3rd row seat, and also a 2010 Mustang V6 premium (coupe). :rollin:

John

Shep
04-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys and just to update what I did in the end - I got an 04 Explorer XLT with the 3rd row seat, and also a 2010 Mustang V6 premium (coupe). :rollin:

JohnMake sure to keep an eye on the metal around the windshield of your new Explorer. I've got an '02 Explorer XLT and it has quite a bit of rust above the rearview mirror, so it leaks when it rains. Admittedly early repairs probably worsened the rust, as we learned later on, but it's pretty cheap to fix if you don't care about how it looks. Ours is very dark blue, almost black, and you really can't notice anything black on it if done right.

That being said, they're fairly reliable mechanically. Ours has over 200K miles on it, and still has the original engine and transmission. Highest mileage we've ever gotten out of any car period, and three have needed major drivetrain fixes (one replaced engine that failed <10K miles later, one replaced head gasket, one rebuilt transmission). It has the odd issue here and there, but they're all minor. Needed the differential replaced, and the shocks snapped, but I'm fairly certain they're both related to a pothole and/or curb incident since they were replaced at the exact same time. No other major issues to speak of.

We get 20 MPG by the way, but your mileage WILL vary. It's all 80 MPH turnpike driving for an hour to and from work, with a few minutes off the turnpike. But for an SUV that size, 20 MPG is pretty impressive. Good luck with the new ownership! :)

davidhamblyn
04-11-2012, 02:08 AM
Hey John you re living the dream - Explorer and a Mustang, brilliant!

MTDMC
04-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Hey John,

Now that you own a Mustang. You should watch the movie Bullitt with Steve McQueen.

Anyone else seen it?

ccurzio
04-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Hey John,

Now that you own a Mustang. You should watch the movie Bullitt with Steve McQueen.

Anyone else seen it?

I own it on BluRay and have recommended it on this forum before.

That's from back when Mustangs were decent cars. :D

dmcjohn
04-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Hey John you re living the dream - Explorer and a Mustang, brilliant!

:) thanks David!

dmcjohn
04-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Make sure to keep an eye on the metal around the windshield of your new Explorer. I've got an '02 Explorer XLT and it has quite a bit of rust above the rearview mirror, so it leaks when it rains. Admittedly early repairs probably worsened the rust, as we learned later on, but it's pretty cheap to fix if you don't care about how it looks. Ours is very dark blue, almost black, and you really can't notice anything black on it if done right.

That being said, they're fairly reliable mechanically. Ours has over 200K miles on it, and still has the original engine and transmission. Highest mileage we've ever gotten out of any car period, and three have needed major drivetrain fixes (one replaced engine that failed <10K miles later, one replaced head gasket, one rebuilt transmission). It has the odd issue here and there, but they're all minor. Needed the differential replaced, and the shocks snapped, but I'm fairly certain they're both related to a pothole and/or curb incident since they were replaced at the exact same time. No other major issues to speak of.

We get 20 MPG by the way, but your mileage WILL vary. It's all 80 MPH turnpike driving for an hour to and from work, with a few minutes off the turnpike. But for an SUV that size, 20 MPG is pretty impressive. Good luck with the new ownership! :)

Thanks EMDF - good to hear positive stories about the Explorer!

I do have one issue with it at the moment, but it was present when I bought it - slight rubbing / humming noise coming from rear of car, so I'm thinking a rear wheel bearing needs to be replaced. Also, the ABS light comes on intermittiently, which could be related to the bearing. Anyway, will get it checked out this weekend...

dmcjohn
04-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Hey John,

Anyone else seen it?

Hi,

I've seen Bullitt more times than I can remember! I've even reenacted the chase while living in SF with a rental Mustang, that was good fun. :)

dmcjohn
04-11-2012, 11:30 AM
That's from back when Mustangs were decent cars. :D

I'd agree that Mustangs lost their way for a long time, especially in the late 70's with the Mustang II.

I test drove a good few Mustangs in the past 2 weeks before buying the 2010 - I found a world of difference between the 2005-09 model and the 2010-present model - the latter being far better. I think the newest Mustangs are really great cars to drive! :)

ccurzio
04-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I'd agree that Mustangs lost their way for a long time, especially in the late 70's with the Mustang II.

I test drove a good few Mustangs in the past 2 weeks before buying the 2010 - I found a world of difference between the 2005-09 model and the 2010-present model - the latter being far better. I think the newest Mustangs are really great cars to drive! :)

*cough*

300-400 horsepower and it STILL has a solid rear axle.

Just don't make any turns and you'll be fine. :)

Shep
04-11-2012, 09:01 PM
I do have one issue with [my Explorer] at the moment, but it was present when I bought it - slight rubbing / humming noise coming from rear of car, so I'm thinking a rear wheel bearing needs to be replaced. Also, the ABS light comes on intermittiently, which could be related to the bearing. Anyway, will get it checked out this weekend...Depending on how frequently you hear that noise, I wouldn't rule out the differential, although a wheel bearing makes sense too. When ours went, I couldn't pinpoint any logical timing for the sound. It was intermittent, but didn't seem to correlate with anything (even steering like it should have). Thought it was the reverse acting up.

As far as ABS, Explorers (or maybe Fords in general) seem to put more error codes there than other makes/models. We got one tire replaced after it had issues, and then the ABS light started coming on. Naturally we assumed it was a sloppy mechanic screwing something up when putting that tire on. Turns out the ECU detected a difference in the tire tread size via the individual wheel speed, and thought it was the ABS acting up when braking, not the reality that three tires were practically bald with the fourth full of tread. But your scenario sounds like one of the axles is having more (or less) resistance than the rest, in which a worn out wheel bearing fits well.

On a related note, OBDII Hondas can have CEL/MIL, SRS, and ABS codes read with just a paperclip, but after some googling, this doesn't seem to apply to Fords. I've done this myself with my daily driver '01 Civic (with the aforementioned rebuilt transmission), but I couldn't find how to do this on other makes. Might be worth googling to see if there's other ways to read it, after which you can troubleshoot from there.