PDA

View Full Version : Whose Delorean? Pensacola-Mobile area

Kenny_Z
02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
A friend of mine on Facebook just posted this to his feed. I don't know exactly where he is, he hasn't responded yet.

http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/temp/who.jpg

Is this anyone on the board?

Kenny_Z
02-27-2012, 08:52 PM
I found out it was in front of Cox cable in Pensacola.

DeLorean03
05-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Yes, I know who it is. His DeLorean was the first one I ever sat in, and it got me revved up to buy mine. Funny, he stopped driving his pretty much once I got mine. Then, as soon as I leave Pensacola, he starts driving his again....

I'll PM you his info if you want it, Kenny. Just let me know!

Kenny_Z
05-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Sure, send it over. It never hurts to have too many Delorean connections. I take it that is the one I used to see at Best Buy.

DeLorean03
05-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Yes, sir. You are correct - that is the BB DeLorean.

Kenny_Z
05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
My coworker, the one that told me about Red, saw another Delorean around Pensacola earlier today. It may or may not have been this one. I think there's at least 2 or 3 not including mine still in the area.

DeLorean03
05-11-2012, 10:05 PM
At one point, I had counted a total of 8 DeLoreans in the Pensacola area. Most were non-runners or junkers. Mine is headed my way in two weeks. Will prolly drive it on the weekends. I just cant do cruise-ins and car shows anymore. Not without another DeLorean owner at least.

pezzonovante88
05-11-2012, 10:33 PM
I just cant do cruise-ins and car shows anymore. Not without another DeLorean owner at least.

Can I ask why not? Just curious.

DeLorean03
05-13-2012, 01:50 AM
Honestly, I cannot answer that without sounding mean or bitter. Bottom line - I am sick and tired of people at car shows that think they know my car better than me, want to tell me about my own car and how slow/ugly/ho-hum it is, people coming up and touching my car getting their nasty-oil-filled-hands all over it, and honestly - I'm just really tired of the BTTF comments/jokes and the cocaine jokes. I'm tired of the misinformation, and I'm tired of people telling me how slow it is like I really give two flips. I'm tired having to explain "why.....a DeLorean?" to everyone like I HAVE to explain myself. I'm tired of the misconceptions, the misinformation, the pompous jerks that don't own DeLoreans trying to flat-out tell me - the owner of a DeLorean - all these "facts" that are total BS and can't take the fact they're wrong when I call them out on it.

Granted, of the 9 years this November that I've owned my car, I have honestly had maybe only 5 times that I can remember this kind of stuff happening. I think I clump all the "Stupid DeLorean Comment of the Day" thread's stories in with my own, and then I watch people's behavior at car cruise-ins and how disrespectful they are of the car vs - say a 1957 BelAir or a 1967 Impala - you won't see ANYONE touch those cars. But we pull up and the stainless steel is like a idiot magnet for people that feel they have the right to just walk up and smudge their nasty-oil-filled hands all over our cars. Then you got people that just welcome themselves to sit in our cars as if it's their own car. I mean - REALLY - why do people do this stuff? And the BTTF comments, I get it, as long as you own a DeLorean - you'll never get away from them. And yes, I'd much rather have those than the cocaine crap, but man dude......man the BTTF stuff just....it wears my nerves down. I have "GotFlux" for one of my old license plates and I have a replica flux capacitor to try to ward it off and off-set the comments, but sometimes I just want it to be known as a "DeLorean"...not "the time machine".

And I get it, it will never be a Ferrari or a Lamborghini or a Zonda or a Ascari. I get it - I'm ok with that. What I'm not ok with are people that walk up to my car and say "Yeah, that's the cocaine car." or "Yeah, that car hugs all the white lines on the road..Haeh haeh haeh." or "Yeah those cars were made by a drug dealer and have coke all up in them." or when you forget to wash some barkeeper's friend out of every last nook and crevice and some smartass shouts to his buddies across the parking lot "Hey! I found the coke in the DeLorean!!!!"

I'm just done with cruise-ins and car shows for a very long time. If I don't have a couple other DeLorean owners there with me - I'm just done. I have been away from my car since Sept 2011, and I thought I'd get over all that. I'm about to get my car up here in under 2 weeks, and I can flat out say I still have not gotten over all of that, which tells me I probably never will. And I'm fine with that - it can be a weekend-pleasure car for me. I've done my "daily driver" days in the DeLorean. I'm ok with driving it once a week or once a month. Doesn't bother me - as long as I am happy that's all that matters.

And yes, when next-door neighbors/acquaintances ask me "why?" when it comes to my lack of participation at car shows/cruise ins, I tell them the same thing. Cuts back immensely on the "typical banter" (BTTF/cocaine crap). Same when I go to cruise-ins/car shows "in cognito" and someone lets the cat out of the bag (not me) that I own a DeLorean and they ask me why I don't bring it. I'd rather keep my car at home and not come off as a "debbie downer" then bring it and be all "rawr rawr rawr" keeping my eyes on everyone's hands and correcting every average "joe know-it-all" that tries to spread incorrect information to everyone there about the DeLorean.

I'm just done with it.

And that's my short answer ;).

thirdmanj
05-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Let it out bro... Just leeeet it out... ;)

Yeah, that car hugs all the white lines on the road..Haeh haeh

Oh that's awesome! I've never heard that one before!! :hysterical: I'll have to use that one. I guess where I'm at DeLoreans were a rare sight before they were a rare sight so to speak. Most people consider me the authority on all things Delorean. But if I ever do get that belligerent asshole, well I just get belligerent right back at him, and if he STILL doesn't want or care to listen I call him a "fucktard" and walk off.

DeLorean03
05-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Let it out bro... Just leeeet it out... ;)

Man, I can't tell you how much better I feel ;). I think there's a decent number of owners who feel the same way I do, maybe not to quite the degree I do, but feel the same way and just don't want to say it. I'm not scared to speak my mind and say how I feel :). Honestly though, it felt good to get all that out in the open.

pezzonovante88
05-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Man, I can't tell you how much better I feel ;). I think there's a decent number of owners who feel the same way I do, maybe not to quite the degree I do, but feel the same way and just don't want to say it. I'm not scared to speak my mind and say how I feel :). Honestly though, it felt good to get all that out in the open.

Yeah, the BTTF jokes are really getting on my nerves. I don't get them ALL the time, but often enough. I try to remind myself that its no big deal and people just aren't used to seeing DeLoreans, but it comes off to me as sort of disrespectful. Now, I would personally like to see owners no longer using custom BTTF referencing plates or putting movie props in the cars. I just don't like to encourage the jokes/comments. I really do love the movies, but the DeLorean is a separate thing to me. I love it for its unique design and the era that its from, and I wish more people would respect that.
I haven't been to any car shows yet in my few months of ownership, but I likely will try some cruise-ins, but I already feel the same way as you in that I'd only like to go with a group of other Ds.

I guess this is all part of DeLorean ownership and thats why the car is just an occasional driver. I drive it when I feel up to it. And don't get me wrong, I really enjoy it, but it would be nice to get away from the pithy comments. Then again, I'm sure a lot of unique, rare cars get bashed by people all the time for other things, but probably not as much as DeLoreans. :wink:

ccurzio
05-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah, the BTTF jokes are really getting on my nerves. I don't get them ALL the time, but often enough. I try to remind myself that its no big deal and people just aren't used to seeing DeLoreans, but it comes off to me as sort of disrespectful.

Don't take this the wrong way, but tough. Yes we are all annoyed with the BTTF jokes and yes they get old. But it's not up to you to dictate how other people think and it's certainly not up to you to assume disrespect on their part. That's ridiculous.

Like it or not, the car is inextricable from the movies and that's not going to change any time soon. At the same time that you would "prefer" that some owners not use BTTF-related license plates on their cars, those same people would "prefer" to have them. It may be a separate thing for YOU, for a great many people the car identifies the movie and vice versa.

If it bothers you that much then you may want to consider getting rid of your car. I guarantee that the association with Back to the Future is going to outlive your ownership.

pezzonovante88
05-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but tough. Yes we are all annoyed with the BTTF jokes and yes they get old. But it's not up to you to dictate how other people think and it's certainly not up to you to assume disrespect on their part. That's ridiculous.

Like it or not, the car is inextricable from the movies and that's not going to change any time soon. At the same time that you would "prefer" that some owners not use BTTF-related license plates on their cars, those same people would "prefer" to have them. It may be a separate thing for YOU, for a great many people the car identifies the movie and vice versa.

If it bothers you that much then you may want to consider getting rid of your car. I guarantee that the association with Back to the Future is going to outlive your ownership.

I don't take it THAT badly LOL! The stuff just gets annoying sometimes. It is a little disrespectful and inconsiderate when people joke about or trash someone's car. With the DeLorean, many of the comments I hear have an air of maliciousness and resentfulness. If I see someone driving a car that may not appeal to me, but that they're obviously proud of, I don't shit on them, I just keep my mouth shut. Anyway, I knew what I was getting into with this car and I'm not about to sell it because it gets some unwanted attention. I'm very aware, thank you very much, that its inevitable and will go on for a long time. And also, I'm not dictating anything, just voicing my opinion on an Internet car forum and I can 'assume' anything I want.

Kenny_Z
05-13-2012, 11:47 PM
I love my OUTATME license plate. Except when people read it as "Out at me" and then ask me how I got my Ferrari's doors to do that. Those people I want to strangle. The rest of the comments don't bother me.

Dangermouse
05-14-2012, 08:17 AM
But it's not up to you to dictate how other people think and it's certainly not up to you to assume disrespect on their part.

Are you sure about this?

I thought that was a requirement to be on the internet these days.

DeLorean03
05-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Wow, I didn't think what I typed out would get a debate going, so I'll step in and answer both sides. Sean or Mike, if you want to split this thread from the original that's cool. It could be called "DeLorean Therapy" or something ;)...

I try to remind myself that its no big deal and people just aren't used to seeing DeLoreans, but it comes off to me as sort of disrespectful.

I totally know what you mean. I try my very best to stay positive and smile, but doggone man, I have heard a LOT of BTTF jokes the 8.5 years Ive owned my car. Sometimes though, they are quite clever. Two good examples:

1. Back in 2007, I was getting my DeLorean's alignment done. The guy who was doing that alignment asked me "Would you like your tires hover balanced too?" Man, I shook his hand on that one!

2. Just TODAY, I was driving the truck into WPAFB, and the gate-guard checking IDs saw my BTTF3 DeLorean on the dash. He and I made small talk about how it'd be cool if they had done another one. As I drove away, he asked me "You going to remember me with kickbacks when you take the idea to them and they do it right?" I loved that; it was a funny but respectful exchance of words between the two of us.

The ones I hear over and over just run me into the ground ya know? Where's the FC, how often you get up to 88, what happens when you hit 88, Where we're going we don't need roads.... those just...man.... ._. <--sad face looking down

Now, I would personally like to see owners no longer using custom BTTF referencing plates or putting movie props in the cars. I just don't like to encourage the jokes/comments.

That one is a bit harder for me to roll with. I have bought TWO FCs to fight off the "Where's the FC??" question, and I had my license plate as "GotFlux" when I got the second FC - so to say the least - I have definitely egged it on. I will note though, that when I did those things and got the "duh" comments out of the way, people asked more in-depth things and some great conversations were engaged.

...the DeLorean is a separate thing to me. I love it for its unique design and the era that its from, and I wish more people would respect that.

You and me both, man. Unfortunately, most people will never feel the desire to own a DeLorean so the only thing they will EVER associate with it is BTTF. With that being said, you have to go to all-day car shows where REAL gearheads show up that truly love all cars to run into people that truly love the DeLorean for what it is. At all-day car shows, I have found this is NOT that hard. Car cruise-ins though, man, GAYOR (go at your own risk).

I guess this is all part of DeLorean ownership and thats why the car is just an occasional driver. I drive it when I feel up to it. And don't get me wrong, I really enjoy it, but it would be nice to get away from the pithy comments. Then again, I'm sure a lot of unique, rare cars get bashed by people all the time for other things, but probably not as much as DeLoreans. :wink:

Yeah.....just, yeah ;).

But it's not up to you to dictate how other people think and it's certainly not up to you to assume disrespect on their part. That's ridiculous.

For the most part, I agree with you on this. There are some people that come walking up though, and you know it when you see them - they're out to be rude to you. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have a "Stupid DeLorean Comment of the Day" thread, and it wouldn't be in the top three most message-posted threads. While a good number of them are just sheer yet innocent ignorance, some of them border on being short of spitting in your face with your mouth open.

Like it or not, the car is inextricable from the movies and that's not going to change any time soon.

Completely and totally agree. 100 years from now, the DeLorean will still be known as the BTTF car. That definitely works in favor and against current owners. Case in point, with this car, you can get ALOT of doors open that normally wouldn't be opened for you (in favor). While that feels great at the time, one thing that bothers me is that people go out of their way ONLY BECAUSE you have a DeLorean (works against). What if you didn't own this car....?

If it bothers you that much then you may want to consider getting rid of your car.

I know this was not directed towards me, but I'll address this one. I have highly considered this. The thought of selling my car for $18k-$20k and paying off ALL my school loans - not a bad thought. There's something about it that keeps me coming back - probably the epiphany that I only drive it on the weekends now. I don't drive it everyday anymore; I simply cannot put up with the public on that routine a basis. The thought of it being out at Wirhgt-Pat AFB in 8 straight hours of sun this summer - or in my case - at night from 1700 - 0100: that's not going to happen. Just because it's on an AFB doesn't make me believe that it's 100% safe that late at night. If that was the case, my PT jacket wouldn't have gotten stolen the first 2 weeks I got here -____-...

But in all seriousness back on topic here, I restored this car with the help of Casey and this forum. As a nine year owner this November, I'm not by any means a seasoned owner; however, I'm not new to this world of stainless either. I'm not giving this car up for my disdain of the public's banality. If I give this car up, it will simply be because it does nothing for me anymore. I'll look at my Nissan truck and the DeLorean and feel 100% exactly the same about each of them - THAT will be when I sell the DeLorean. Until then, every time that gullwing door goes up I'll smile inside and feel like a child again for a second or two. I might even play my BTTF CD in the CD/mp3 player.... :).

pezzonovante88
05-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Wow, I didn't think what I typed out would get a debate going, so I'll step in and answer both sides. Sean or Mike, if you want to split this thread from the original that's cool. It could be called "DeLorean Therapy" or something ;)...

I totally know what you mean. I try my very best to stay positive and smile, but doggone man, I have heard a LOT of BTTF jokes the 8.5 years Ive owned my car. Sometimes though, they are quite clever. Two good examples:

1. Back in 2007, I was getting my DeLorean's alignment done. The guy who was doing that alignment asked me "Would you like your tires hover balanced too?" Man, I shook his hand on that one!

2. Just TODAY, I was driving the truck into WPAFB, and the gate-guard checking IDs saw my BTTF3 DeLorean on the dash. He and I made small talk about how it'd be cool if they had done another one. As I drove away, he asked me "You going to remember me with kickbacks when you take the idea to them and they do it right?" I loved that; it was a funny but respectful exchance of words between the two of us.

The ones I hear over and over just run me into the ground ya know? Where's the FC, how often you get up to 88, what happens when you hit 88, Where we're going we don't need roads.... those just...man.... ._. <--sad face looking down

That one is a bit harder for me to roll with. I have bought TWO FCs to fight off the "Where's the FC??" question, and I had my license plate as "GotFlux" when I got the second FC - so to say the least - I have definitely egged it on. I will note though, that when I did those things and got the "duh" comments out of the way, people asked more in-depth things and some great conversations were engaged.

You and me both, man. Unfortunately, most people will never feel the desire to own a DeLorean so the only thing they will EVER associate with it is BTTF. With that being said, you have to go to all-day car shows where REAL gearheads show up that truly love all cars to run into people that truly love the DeLorean for what it is. At all-day car shows, I have found this is NOT that hard. Car cruise-ins though, man, GAYOR (go at your own risk).

Yeah.....just, yeah ;).

For the most part, I agree with you on this. There are some people that come walking up though, and you know it when you see them - they're out to be rude to you. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have a "Stupid DeLorean Comment of the Day" thread, and it wouldn't be in the top three most message-posted threads. While a good number of them are just sheer yet innocent ignorance, some of them border on being short of spitting in your face with your mouth open.

Completely and totally agree. 100 years from now, the DeLorean will still be known as the BTTF car. That definitely works in favor and against current owners. Case in point, with this car, you can get ALOT of doors open that normally wouldn't be opened for you (in favor). While that feels great at the time, one thing that bothers me is that people go out of their way ONLY BECAUSE you have a DeLorean (works against). What if you didn't own this car....?

I know this was not directed towards me, but I'll address this one. I have highly considered this. The thought of selling my car for $18k-$20k and paying off ALL my school loans - not a bad thought. There's something about it that keeps me coming back - probably the epiphany that I only drive it on the weekends now. I don't drive it everyday anymore; I simply cannot put up with the public on that routine a basis. The thought of it being out at Wirhgt-Pat AFB in 8 straight hours of sun this summer - or in my case - at night from 1700 - 0100: that's not going to happen. Just because it's on an AFB doesn't make me believe that it's 100% safe that late at night. If that was the case, my PT jacket wouldn't have gotten stolen the first 2 weeks I got here -____-...

But in all seriousness back on topic here, I restored this car with the help of Casey and this forum. As a nine year owner this November, I'm not by any means a seasoned owner; however, I'm not new to this world of stainless either. I'm not giving this car up for my disdain of the public's banality. If I give this car up, it will simply be because it does nothing for me anymore. I'll look at my Nissan truck and the DeLorean and feel 100% exactly the same about each of them - THAT will be when I sell the DeLorean. Until then, every time that gullwing door goes up I'll smile inside and feel like a child again for a second or two. I might even play my BTTF CD in the CD/mp3 player.... :).

Thanks DeLorean03 , you nailed it!

I love my OUTATME license plate. Except when people read it as "Out at me" and then ask me how I got my Ferrari's doors to do that. Those people I want to strangle. The rest of the comments don't bother me.

LOL, I know, but its kinda funny when they have, to quote DeLorean03, complete "innocent ignorance".

Kenny_Z
04-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Got another Pensacola car that I can't identify.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/9cd591f9a70219d07fe52611cd69e8fc/tumblr_n4supuANdX1rdjq2mo1_1280.jpg

I don't think it's the two I know because the plate is personalized. It says "FOR BEUX" according to the person that took the photo. Anyone know who it is?

Dangermouse
04-29-2014, 12:15 PM
It obviously says FOR DEUX in honor of the 351 engine it's packing :)

Kenny_Z
04-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Ben gave me information on it. It's VIN 754, black interior, 5 speed, with a flat hood.

https://24.media.tumblr.com/2a80ed6ab20e52762f8fe44be2f788db/tumblr_n4t8wojK5y1rdjq2mo1_1280.jpg

Dangermouse
04-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Nice clean looking car.

Citizen
04-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Ben gave me information on it. It's VIN 754, black interior, 5 speed, with a flat hood.

How sure are you it's 754? Our last known location is Oklahoma City. If wrong, I'd sure like to update our records.

Thomas

Kenny_Z
04-30-2014, 09:46 AM
I've heard it from another owner who heard it from his friend. I haven't seen it myself so I can't be sure. When do see it I will check and let you know. The story is this car was purchased from the Houston area but not from DMCH.

Mike F
04-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Cool; more people in the Panhandle! We ought to try to all meet up sometime. I'd love to chat with some other owners. Not much activity down this way...

Kenny_Z
04-30-2014, 09:26 PM
That would be fun. I'd love to get everyone together at a Saturday night cruise-in. There's at least 4 running in the immediate Pensacola area now and a new owner in Spanish Fort Al that's still restoring his car. Casey is up in Atmore with a very nice DeLorean. There's a non-running car behind Pensacourt. I haven't seen it yet except on Google maps. I believe Jeremiah either saw it in person or spoke to the owner a few years ago.

Mike F
05-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Sounds like fun to me. I haven't taken a trip of any significant length since I got the car (not that PC to Pcola is all that significant I guess). Can't see why 100 mile or so trek would be an issue. Guess I've just been overly paranoid! The PO really didn't drive it much but always kept it in running condition. Since I've had it and been driving it, being idle has caught up with a few things (clutch master, rubber parts here and there), but I've taken care of it all and tried to proactively change out and update other things before they become problems. Just been leery of taking that leap of a trip beyond 50 miles or so. Gotta do it at some point, though!! :)

Kenny_Z
05-02-2014, 11:22 AM
I know what you mean. I don't think I've taken red on a 100 mile straight trip but I've taken her out for Christmas shopping in Pensacola traffic so it might as well have been 100 miles.

I'm not sure when the get together will be. Pensacola took a beating from the storm and I am cut off from the city thanks to a gaping hole in 98 that they haven't started to repair yet.

Mike F
05-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Totally understand. We'll figure it out at some point. That storm was unbelievable. I actually grew up in Pensacola; my parents still live over there. It passed through here but we didn't get anywhere near the rain that Pensacola got.

gamerguy51
05-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Nice to be snapped on the boards guys. That was quick. ;) Let me know when you guys wanna meet up. BTW my front right caliper is partially seizing...gotta check it out this week. -Matt

https://24.media.tumblr.com/2a80ed6ab20e52762f8fe44be2f788db/tumblr_n4t8wojK5y1rdjq2mo1_1280.jpg

Kenny_Z
05-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Hey Matt. Welcome to DMCTalk and ownership. You'll find that DeLoreans make you really easy to find anywhere. Sounds like a caliper rebuild is in your future. I rebuilt my rears but the fronts didn't need it.

I guess we're all aiming for a Saturday night at the BK cruise in on Nine mile?

BigBenb84
05-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Replaced all my calipers last year with rebuilt from Hervey. I'm literally about to walk out to my garage to start tearing down to replace the water pump. I've done a lot on the car this month in prep for DeLo Car Show, this is the biggest item. New tires, dead pedal, binnacle lights, refill steering rack oil...and a list more to go.

DeLorean03
05-13-2014, 09:33 PM
Crazy to know I once had 8 DeLoreans counted in Pensacola without any of the three of you. There's so many down there - it really is unreal. Nice to see a decent couple of owners driving their cars regularly.....3 years after I leave ): ...

Mike F
05-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Yeah, a Saturday night @ BK sounds good...provided that I don't chicken out on making the drive when we decide to meet up. :) I still have a few things I'd like to do on the car (probably just being paranoid), so if I don't make this one hopefully I'll make the next!

gamerguy51
05-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. haha. I go by gamerguy51 on instagram as well...pretty much every "social" site if you guys wanna follow. I may see ya'll out there depending on how that caliper feels. Go figure.

Kenny_Z
05-14-2014, 09:52 PM
I figured it might be after DCS. Seems like all of us have projects to complete at the moment. I've got to come up with some way to not die in the car due to heat exhaustion. My AC is dead. Last summer it held freon for maybe a week. That's when I parked her and planned on doing the ac over the winter. Unfortunately I had to spend the funds on other things.

Kenny_Z
06-08-2014, 11:52 PM
No photos this time but my brother asked me who owned the DeLorean with the Pennsylvania plates was that he's seen driving around W street recently. He said he thought that "81 DeLorean" was on the sides like it was a vinyl sticker. Ring any bells?

Kenny_Z
06-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Spoke too soon. Ben had a photo for me.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/33855247e218f624ff949cbf3c095645/tumblr_n6vvd0luuH1rdjq2mo1_1280.jpg

So we're up to 6 I know about in the immediate Pensacola area and at least 8 in a 100 mile radius. Not too bad.

gamerguy51
08-07-2014, 09:26 AM
How sure are you it's 754? Our last known location is Oklahoma City. If wrong, I'd sure like to update our records.

Thomas

Some time ago, not sure when, the windshield and hood were replaced. That's weird because there's no accident report but something broke the windshield and dented the hood enough to warrant a replacement...