PDA

View Full Version : Car seats

DeLoreanman
02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
This is a random question but....has anyone in America put a child booster seat in their D? I'm pretty sure it will fit but I would like to know if anyone has done it. I would try it but, it's a long story.

Chris Burns
02-28-2012, 09:29 PM
My buddy on FB does it all the time with his Delorean. Works quite well.

DeLoreanman
02-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Sweet! My son is almost to a booster seat and I would like to pick him up from pre-school in the D from time to time. I know there is plenty of lateral room in there but the height has me worried. My son loves that car more than I do; he cried when the flatbed came to take it to Houston.

mluder
02-28-2012, 11:18 PM
I put a full sized car seat in my passenger seat with my 4 year old all the time. He loves riding in the car and gets upset when I pcik him up from daycare in my truck.

He's technically big enough for a booster but my wife feels safer with the car seat.

kajcienski
02-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Curious... Isn't there a law in some states that the booster has to go in the back? I wonder how that works with a 2 seater...

Cory W
02-28-2012, 11:43 PM
I've had a booster seat in the car as long as I've had it. Both of my kids were booster age at that time.

I use a low-back booster, but my kids are taller than the average (my 7-year old in grade 1 is taller than some of my daughter's classmates in grade 3). Another advantage is the booster easily fits behind the seat when not in use. Takes up a bit of cargo space, but clears the passenger seat.

Up here, a full "child seat" must be tethered at the back. No idea where you'd want to mount a tether restraint hook on these cars (but know some minivans worked their way around it by putting the tether hook at the base of the seatbacks)

dvonk
02-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Curious... Isn't there a law in some states that the booster has to go in the back? I wonder how that works with a 2 seater...

modern 2-seater vehicles (e.g., my Jeep, pickups, etc.) have passenger airbag shutoff switches for when children are riding shotgun. i had always assumed the only danger of the front seat was the force of the adult-rated airbag on the comparatively smaller mass of the child.

i could be wrong, but since im not having kids i never really bothered to find out. :dunno:

mluder
02-29-2012, 02:18 AM
modern 2-seater vehicles (e.g., my Jeep, pickups, etc.) have passenger airbag shutoff switches for when children are riding shotgun. i had always assumed the only danger of the front seat was the force of the adult-rated airbag on the comparatively smaller mass of the child.

i could be wrong, but since im not having kids i never really bothered to find out. :dunno:

I think you're right on this although I beleive it may be on a state by state basis.

My truck is a '97 Dakota - the year before they included the shut off switch for the passeger airbag. I had to search high and low to find a car seat that would fit the limitteddepth of the bench seat in back. While going through the process of trying to find someone who would install an aftermarket cut-off switch (no one would by the way) I found that the law did not specify the location of the car seat - only that one should be used. The front seat was out because of the airbag danger - but that had nothing to do with the law. Also, the back bench seat does not have the latch system (look it up if you're curious) nor does it have any way to use the upper teather restraint.

When I got the DeLorean I checked again and found no reference in Oregon law.

Found this about California which requires back seat but allows for front seat if the vehicle only has two seats.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/child_safetyseat_faqs.html

My suggestion is research your local jurisdiction to be sure. I feel safe doing it - but the law is the law.

DeLoreanman
02-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Good thing about living in Arkansas is that it is legal to have a child in a two seater without a tether. It's hard to enforce something that can't be fixed.

My son is 2 and a half but is the size of a 4 year old, according to the doctor he is in 90% for his age in height. It's great seeing my kids love DeLoreans as much as I do, they both fight over the Willy's models and hot wheels.