PDA

View Full Version : AC and Transportation.

Craigguild
03-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi guys,

I need help! I am waiting for my DeLorean to arrive here in Australia from California, and although I thought I was doing the right thing with all the paperwork and such, I found out yesterday that the shipping company my end needs proof that the AC was emptied. I phoned DMC California, and they told me that they are pretty certain that the AC was taken care of after I bought the car. I was told about this at DMC when I put a deposit on the car, and told them to do whatever was necessary.
The laws regarding Ozone protection are very strict here, and I am scared to death that if the AC hasn't been done, then I could get into trouble for this.
I was wondering...If it is standard practice to empty the AC unit on a car that's being shipped overseas, then I imagine that it wouldvé been checked at Long Beach, otherwise the car wouldn't have been allowed on the vessel.
I'm expecting the car in a couple of weeks, and I seriously thought that everything had been taken care of, and this was only brought to my attention yesterday.
On my shipping form, the only thing specified was that the car have only a quarter of a tank of fuel or less. Nothing about the AC unit.
Any advice???

Rich
03-01-2012, 10:02 PM
In a short web search it seems that Oz may be unique in this. Some Australia-specific sites say it's a good idea to have a certification that the R-12 was removed, other say it is required, as you say. Up to you to figure out the requirements that apply. No other countries showed up in that search.

Based on this one could guess that it's not at all standard practice to empty the A/C on any car just to get it onto a boat headed overseas from anywhere, including the USA.

If you are lucky then you may find that your car was already converted to R-134a refrigerant and you can get it in writing? It's not an unusual circumstance with these cars.

DMC CA probably cannot be held accountable for understanding all of the import rules for each country. If you can get them to certify that they emptied it or it didn't have R-12 in it then you should be OK.

Mike C.
03-02-2012, 05:01 PM
I would show them a copy of the shipping form and how it says nothing regarding the AC being drained. Hopefully it was empty either way.

Craigguild
03-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys!
The main thing I was concerned about was that I thought I had unwittingly committed an offence against Australian Customs. Australia has the strictest rules in the World when it comes to that, but I have since discovered that no, I havent done anything wrong as I filled out all forms and paperwork to the best of my ability.
I called DMC-California and was told that they are pretty certain it was emptied before being taken to the docks, but, if not...Worst case scenario..I'll have to pay for it to be emptied when it arrives here...which will be in about three weeks time. I have been assured I have not committed any offence, and I was so worried about it I was actually getting severe chest pains.
I have submitted a degas compliance form to DMC, so I'm hoping they'll fill it out and forward it to the shipper.
It's all been such a HUGE pain to have this car imported! I just hope all the stress will have been worth it when I finally get to drive my own DeLorean.

Lukas
03-02-2012, 11:46 PM
If you don't have one they'll probably hit you up with some more fees (more than you would have paid in the US anyway!) to check/discharge the gas properly.

If you can get the degas form signed you should be good.

Craigguild
03-04-2012, 04:12 AM
It's all good!
I received a notification and a completed compliance form from DMC-California stating that the AC was, in fact, emptied and sorted!
Great news!!!