PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips for Cleaning Old Oil Stains

Dangermouse
03-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Any Tips for cleaning old oil stains

Honestly not related to my Oil Consumption thread.

I have an area of concrete, not at my house, that has two large oil stains (not caused by me – disclaimer). One is fairly recent (<6 months) the other is a couple of year old. However both are essentially dry. I always spread absorbent on a fresh leak/spill, but it is too late for that now.

I have tried pouring Coke on it (web tip) and then
Pressure washing (with water only) – just made the other concrete area clean - resulting in highlighting the stain even more.

Any tips from you habitual leakers

pezzonovante88
03-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Any Tips for cleaning old oil stains

Honestly not related to my Oil Consumption thread.

I have an area of concrete, not at my house, that has two large oil stains (not caused by me – disclaimer). One is fairly recent (<6 months) the other is a couple of year old. However both are essentially dry. I always spread absorbent on a fresh leak/spill, but it is too late for that now.

I have tried pouring Coke on it (web tip) and then
Pressure washing (with water only) – just made the other concrete area clean - resulting in highlighting the stain even more.

Any tips from you habitual leakers

You may have some luck letting cat litter, paint-thinner & sawdust, or WD40 soak in for 15-20 mins. Hardware stores also have many products for removing oil stains.

EdR5150
03-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I've had luck with gasoline. Dispose of your rags properly.

outatym2001
03-07-2012, 09:12 PM
I have had good luck getting rid of fresh oil stains with the following products below.
Purple bottle called Superclean. Long ago it was called Castrol Superclean. Don’t know why they got rid of the name Castrol.
http://www.supercleanbrands.com/

Oil Eater
http://www.oileater.com/

Simple Green
http://www.simplegreen.com/

Which ever product you buy apply full strength on the stain and scrub with an old bristle brush. Then let sit for quite a while but don’t let it get dry. Then hose off.

rockwill
03-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Hi,
I think coca cola works well on any oil stains. scarely to think we actually rink the stuff..try it then reply ..

Dangermouse
03-12-2012, 08:06 AM
well so far I've tried WalMart Cola, proper Coca-Cola (in case it has some magic ingredient that Sam's doesn't), cat litter, WD-40 and a little paint thinner. All things I had round the house.

Has faded a bit. but still very visible.

Need to get some Simple Green, or Oil Eater next.

sdg3205
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
well so far I've tried WalMart Cola, proper Coca-Cola (in case it has some magic ingredient that Sam's doesn't), cat litter, WD-40 and a little paint thinner. All things I had round the house.

Has faded a bit. but still very visible.

Need to get some Simple Green, or Oil Eater next.

I love simple green. I've tried it on my concrete too with little success. The problem is I'm sure you need something caustic, but it needs to go down a storm drain so you're "up shit creek" so to speak. It turns my stomach to see toxics go down storm drains.