PDA

View Full Version : All other car forums suck.

sdg3205
03-08-2012, 02:13 AM
You can pretty much count on getting a response to anything you post here. If it's a technical question, I'd say you have a darn near a 100% chance of a response.

The door locks on our daily driver 2008 Ford Focus SES are terrible - the passenger rear door locks up permanently most of the time while other doors will randomly remain locked a few times a week. Who knows WTF is happening with this thing. I posted on 2 Ford Focus forums with my questions and not one response. I even did my research first before posting, the same way we encourage people here. Hey, it's just good etiquette.

With my older Jeep, the sway bar links have broken for the 6th time. I post on the Jeep forum and get no response there. When I wanted to build a cabin air filter (Wranglers dont have any) I got no response to a thread I posted in.

What's the deal? I don't get it. Are people lazy? Biased against newbies on other forums or just not enthusiastic and as helpful as we are (or try to be even if we're not always right!) over here at DMCTalk?

Kenny_Z
03-08-2012, 03:26 AM
I belong to a Nova forum and those guys will answer anything on any car, point you in the right direction, or just give you encouragement to keep fighting with it. However, of all the forums I've been on only Steve's Nova Site and DMCTalk have that type of environment. Good forums are hard to find.

Notifier
03-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Things to point out:

1.) When you make the decision to buy a DeLorean, you should be at least a little mechanically inclined because this isn't a car you can just take to your local DeLorean dealer and have them fix the door locks. For the most part you are the mechanic. And out of the 1340 members on here, I'm sure one of us have torn apart the car one Saturday trying to figure out the door locks. Other forums, need to fix something not covered in the owners manual? The thought is, just take it to the dealer! I would figure forums about vehicles no longer manufactured (or companies no longer in business) are probably more beneficial.

2.) From my experience on other car forums, trying to find anyone who is willing to help on anything technical is few and far between. Ask a question on how to remove the gas cap cover to change it out to a chrome one and you'll get pages of responses. Ask about a wiring schematic, get a lot of scratching heads! :headscratch:

3.) Again, from my experience, people seem to be just rude on other forums. I asked a question once, needed to find a quick source of switched power on my work truck. I knew I could figure it out myself with a meter and some time, but was pressed for time that weekend and was just looking for a quick place to tap into. The responses I got were from "you shouldn't full with s*** if you don't know what you're doing" to "maybe you should contribute here first".

4.) One good thing about this board is the no political or religion rule. Something that seems to not be enforced or even policy on other forums and gets out of control, fast.

Dracula
03-08-2012, 01:22 PM
I think its the fact that we're more apt to tinker with our cars. I know I can constantly be found in a business suit with a briefcase in one hand and a wrench in the other. To me, that's half the fun of the car and I see that with most DeLorean owners. The only forum I've seen that's similar is the Fiero forum, but they can go a little too far. Case in point, an article on how you can make replacement washers with a hole punch, aluminum can, and a pair of scissors. It's like a MacGuyver convention.

pezzonovante88
03-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Yeah, responses on the Jag forum are WAY less speedy. After like 2 mins on DMCTalk, I get a response. Its great.

sdg3205
03-08-2012, 01:25 PM
It's like a MacGuyver convention.

Sounds more like a MacGruber convention!

I was just pissed off last night because I made no progress with the Ford after a full day of trying.

In order to have felt like I actually got something done I took the front wheels of the DeLorean to re-paint the RWL's for the 2012 driving season. Felt much better.

EDIT - the annoying thing is you can plainly see like 100 people have read the post, but just moved on to the next one about chrome gas caps. Hahaha.

EdR5150
03-08-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm a member of some other auto forums, and there are two things that bug me about them:
-Many threads covering the same topics. It drives me nuts. If only the members had taken a few minutes to familiarize themselves with the search features, and seen their topic has been covered before. Got a follow up question? Bump the old thread!
-Poor subjects for threads. It makes searching even harder. Examples: “Need Help,” “Question about something.” Put some keywords in there!

Freaky Beetle
03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
I have been a moderator for newbeetle.org for the past 12 years and believe it or not there are some hard core technical guys on there. I don't think I ever ever seen a technical question go unanswered. Apparently little round cars have the same type of following as squat wedge ones.

DMC3165
03-08-2012, 02:10 PM
2 months ago I posted a question on the land rover forum about my wifes car. I still haven't had a response.

This forum is the best for technical questions or idle chit chat its become my go to place. Even if I don't post I usually glance at it least once a day.

Dangermouse
03-08-2012, 04:32 PM
I have had a mixed bag of results

10 Dodge Minivan forum – pretty helpful group, unsurprisingly focused around warranty issues and recalls. However many have upgraded from older vans and have a great historical knowledge about what goes wrong. Notable lack of pictures in threads, unlike here.

05 M-B CLK forum – more concerned with performance and aesthetic upgrades, though are familiar with known mechanical problems. Solving said problems is usually a “stealership” or “indy” job. One notable multipage thread about how to change your own oil :tongue:. Again, minimal pictures, except in members signatures which are picture heavy

TR6 forum – much more like this forum. Plenty of pictures and plenty of guys who strip an engine down before breakfast. Very helpful.

stevedmc
03-08-2012, 05:32 PM
This forum sucks. I can hardly ask a carburetor question without hearing a bunch of crap. I take my fuel system questions to www.dmcsouth.com and am very happy there.

sean
03-08-2012, 05:36 PM
This forum sucks.

just let me know when you want me to delete your account, be more than happy to relieve you of his place that you despise so much.

Mike C.
03-08-2012, 05:39 PM
It's funny, because I dont recall anyone actually personally giving you a hard time, nor do i have any requests to clean up a thread for you because people are interrupting your thread... just a certain 'martyr' giving everyone else unsolicited advice and getting himself put on moderation.

Oh well, you're welcome to enjoy all of the fascinating topics of discussion on your new forum.

stevedmc
03-08-2012, 05:44 PM
just let me know when you want me to delete your account, be more than happy to relieve you of his place that you despise so much.

See what I mean.

Mike C.
03-08-2012, 05:49 PM
See what I mean.

Why do you feel the need to bash our forum? If you are so unhappy, Sean offered you a way out. Don't try to make it out to be more than that, because you know very well it isn't. We don't want unhappy people ruining everyone else's entertainment and infomation searches.

And unfortunately I don't see what you mean. You didn't ask a carburetor question, you are basically trying to start controversy. As you said, you are happier over at that other site, so you may continue to post over there.

As for anyone with carburetor questions, we do have a carburetor forum open to anyone who may have questions. Anyone supposedly 'bashing' you will be handled accordingly.

stevedmc
03-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Why do you feel the need to bash our forum? If you are so unhappy, Sean offered you a way out. Don't try to make it out to be more than that, because you know very well it isn't. We don't want unhappy people ruining everyone else's entertainment and infomation searches.

And unfortunately I don't see what you mean. You didn't ask a carburetor question, you are basically trying to start controversy. As you said, you are happier over at that other site, so you may continue to post over there.

As for anyone with carburetor questions, we do have a carburetor forum open to anyone who may have questions. Anyone supposedly 'bashing' you will be handled accordingly.

Ok. DMCSouth sucks then. I was just joking anyway.

Btw, the reality is this place has plenty of members, plus excellent communication between members. I thought anyone could recognize that. For what its worth, an EFI guy was upset with one of my stupid comments and while he was talking bad about me, I was outside snapping pictures of what wires he could remove from his bulkhead connectors because I try to be a nice guy and help everyone I can. Heck, my whole radiator issue I am experiencing is because I try to be a nice guy as much as I can. The lady ran my car into a building, screwed up the radiator, and instead of making her pay for it, I'm handling the thing myself. I'd be willing to be most people in general wouldnt do that.

Mike C.
03-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Ok. DMCSouth sucks then. I was just joking anyway.

Well delivered! I thought you were serious!:giddy:

dvonk
03-08-2012, 07:33 PM
steve rice sucks.

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2010-05-15/1273947819572.jpg

stevedmc
03-08-2012, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=dvonk;45828]steve rice sucks.

Somebody should make a poll.

dvonk
03-08-2012, 07:48 PM
:lol:

sean
03-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Hahahahahaha, Counter Troll, love it! As a sad member of the group who can't let counter strike and half life go, that really tugs at the void where my heart would be if I had be if I had a heart

Farrar
03-08-2012, 08:55 PM
I have to say, the amount of fun banter on this forum rivals the fun I used to have back in the 1980s and 1990s on IRC -- yes, we're all here because of our cars, but the ratio of fun and interesting people to boring people has to be much better on this forum than on many others. I'd rather hang out with DeLorean owners than MG owners any day.

dvonk
03-08-2012, 09:20 PM
of the forums of which i am a member, DMCTalk is definitely the most entertaining. i also really like the community size, not too large or too small.

for example, the 1958 Buick forum has about 100 members; the active ones i can count on one hand...
in contrast, the Wrangler Forum has over 88 thousand members, and over 2 million posts. the new posts appear so quickly its hard to follow threads--far too bloated for my taste.

besides, the DeLorean has always been my one true automotive passion... id much rather spend time amongst those with the same interest. :biggrin:

jawn101
03-09-2012, 05:17 PM
of the forums of which i am a member, DMCTalk is definitely the most entertaining. i also really like the community size, not too large...

+a million. I love the small community as it feels like we all know each other even though many of us have never met. I also enjoy the far more educated discourse we get here (even the flame wars are comparatively civil and generally even executed with at least a passing regard to proper grammar, spelling and punctuation) as compared to other automotive forums. Particularly those specializing in import tuners....

Karin
03-10-2012, 02:30 PM
It's a good thing we're all a more lively bunch. I haven't visited any other car forums but I have visited other forums in general for different other things. I have witnessed more that I went to where there's very helpful, patient people around and they'll try to answer a question to the best of their knowledge. Then, there's others, like the Lucasarts forums, where I asked two questions there and haven't heard a single response yet. Lack of population is one thing; ignorance is another. However, the absolute worst kinds of forums are those where you make a topic as if you want to try to help someone with something, and you get wrestled by inconsiderate, local people there that have nothing better to do than to make you feel bad.

Sorry about the long rant but I've experienced all three. I am so glad this is a very friendly place to be.

Dracula
03-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I am so glad this is a very friendly place to be.

So long as you stay away from the "single guy" thread, then, yes.

nofear365
03-10-2012, 03:30 PM
DMCTalk is by far my most favorite forum

I'm active on the Jaguar forums for my XK8 and they too are very helpful. Too the point and a bit dry, but very helpful.

The 300C forum can get a bit ghetto sometimes so I really don't spend any time there anymore.

When I owned my Eldorado ETC I was very active on the Cadillac forums. However, as the prices of the ETCs and STSs came down, so did the tact and class of the forum participants.

DMCTalk for the win!

timothymoore
03-10-2012, 03:54 PM
DMCtalk is my favorite forum. 2nd is the camaro forum www.camaroforums.com and 3rd would be the ford ranger forum and 4th the honda forum. havent been on the ranger or honda forum in a coons age though.

Karin
03-11-2012, 03:44 PM
So long as you stay away from the "single guy" thread, then, yes.

It hasn't gone too violent yet. :tongue2:

sean
03-11-2012, 03:50 PM
It hasn't gone too violent yet. :tongue2:

Violent, no, bizarre, heck yes.

Dracula
03-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Violent, no, bizarre, heck yes.

Thank you, I try.

Mike C.
03-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Thank you, I try.