PDA

View Full Version : The infamous JZD stretch Caprice

nofear365
03-11-2012, 09:10 PM
If you've ever seen the Bricklin interview where Malcolm talks about his time with JZD and the possibility of joining forces, he mentions that John picked him up in a stretch Chevrolet he has GM personally make for him.

http://youtu.be/mKJHSzYW2LY?t=47s

For the hell of it I googled it and came up with this:

Shortly after John DeLorean became the Chevrolet General Manager, he attended his first monthly General Managers’ Meeting as the head of Chevrolet, at the GM Building; he arranged to be driven to the meeting from Chevrolet’s headquarters at the GM Tech Center in a black Cadillac limousine. Shortly after the limousine drove into the executive garage at the GM building, the manager of the garage called upstairs to the 14th floor to inform the Chairman that Delorean had arrived in a Cadillac. This didn’t go over well at all with (Chairman) James Roche and (Vice Chairman) Richard Gerstenberg, and they chewed him out royally when he arrived in the conference room, reminding him that only the top two officers were entitled to chauffered Cadillac limousines, and as head of Chevrolet, he was expected to arrive in his Division’s product, not in a Cadillac.

Later that day, after DeLorean arrived back at Chevrolet, he told Alex Mair, the Chevrolet Chief Engineer, that he wanted a Chevrolet limousine built in time for the next month’s General Managers’ Meeting. The project started that night in the Engineering Metal Shop; a Caprice station wagon was pulled out of the fleet for the front third of the car, and a Caprice hardtop coupe with the stylish concave back window was pulled out of the fleet for the back third of the car. The two cars were cut in half and set up on a surface plate, and work proceeded (on a three-shift schedule) to fabricate the center third of the car to join the two partial cars together as an extended-wheelbase Caprice limousine.

Fisher Body Plant #21 (where the Cadillac limousine bodies were built) was approached to provide the interior trim and glass divider partition, but they refused, so the velour interior and mouton wool carpeting was stripped out of the borrowed limousine used earlier, modified, and installed in the now-stretched Caprice, including the rear air-conditioning unit and overhead A/C ductwork in the headliner. The completed car was sent to the Proving Grounds, checked out for function and safety, and returned to Chevrolet Engineering two days ahead of the deadline.

Delorean used the freshly-created Caprice limousine to go to the next General Managers’ Meeting, the same call was made to the 14th floor from the garage office when he arrived, and he was again berated when he entered the conference room; he then pointed out that he had done exactly as he had been instructed and arrived in a Chevrolet. The 14th floor gang was not amused, but he enjoyed it. Upon return to Chevrolet Engineering, the limousine was parked in the fleet lot, sat there for several months, and was later wholesaled to a dealer or National Car Rental; where it went from there is unknown, but it was the only factory-built Chevrolet limousine ever made.

Great story! Sadly I cannot find any pictures.

Jimmyvonviggle
03-11-2012, 09:18 PM
That Bricklin is so full of it. I really don't believe what he is saying.

living_the_dream
03-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Every time I see this video it pisses me off. I love how he states all of this AFTER JZD died. Unreal.

Dracula
03-12-2012, 12:56 AM
I find the Bricklin car to be delightful; however, my opinion of Malcolm Bricklin is that he's a cowardly, inept sleaze.

pezzonovante88
03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Riiiiiight. He rejected the DeLorean design and went with the Bricklin. Good choice, though its probably untrue.

Rhsxo
03-13-2012, 02:51 AM
I found this on Motor Trend's website:

1971: Model year for Chevy's second failed attempt at a world-class small car, the Vega. May issue of Motor Trend compares a $9081 Cadillac Sedan de Ville with a $5550 Chevy Caprice, concludes the Caddy is the better car, but not $3500 better. It's also the model year of Chevy chief John Z. DeLorean's personal Caprice limo, using a Cadillac Fleetwood 75 frame and Chevy sheetmetal. Before John Z. can turn a wheel, GM president Ed Cole orders the car scrapped.

Dracula
03-13-2012, 02:57 AM
That DeLorean was working on a Chevy limo is a fairly feasible idea. I don't remember, exactly, but I think it was mentioned in "On a Clear Day..." but I can't say for sure. The thing that people have issues with is the clearly false statement that JZD ripped off Bricklin's alleged prototype car. The only automotive rip-offs involved with the DeLorean would revolve around Lotus.

thirdmanj
03-13-2012, 01:26 PM
...The only automotive rip-offs involved with the DeLorean would revolve around Lotus.

I agree. But as it was the same designer, I'd concider it either "uninspired" or "perfected" depending on which way one leans. In either case Lotus certainly had a hand in its development, so I concider it a stainless-steel clad Lotus with an inferior drive-train.

Dracula
03-13-2012, 04:12 PM
I agree. But as it was the same designer, I'd concider it either "uninspired" or "perfected" depending on which way one leans. In either case Lotus certainly had a hand in its development, so I concider it a stainless-steel clad Lotus with an inferior drive-train.

I'd rather the PRV than the modified Toyota block of a Lotus. I'm still bitter about Toyota manufacturing parts for the Japanese war efforts in in WWII.

thirdmanj
03-13-2012, 04:16 PM
I'd rather the PRV than the modified Toyota block of a Lotus. I'm still bitter about Toyota manufacturing parts for the Japanese war efforts in in WWII.

That just seems a little silly.

Dracula
03-13-2012, 04:17 PM
That just seems a little silly.

Bataan Death March.

thirdmanj
03-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Bataan Death March.

Auschwitz, Dachau, Janowska... While your holding grudges.

Dracula
03-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Auschwitz, Dachau, Janowska... While your holding grudges.

Did not directly contribute to my family's deaths in the war. By a technicality, he was reported as "Killed In Action by US Forces" since the Japanese ship they were being held prisoner on had no markings to indicate it was transporting POWs; notably, those who managed to survive the death march. Add 1 Navy ship crippled by a Mitsubishi Zero Kamakazi pilot and two planes shot down to the list of attacks on my family members alone and you'll see why I won't drive a Japanese car.

If you want to cite examples of non-connected genocide, look at the Japanese forces in China, their treatment and torture of POWs, or the continuously documented violation of human rights acts committed by Toyota alone SINCE WWII.

That's omitting the fact that they drew first blood with the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Though, I don't imagine this to be a point where my perspective will be understood by others. Suffice it to say, my family isn't known for "forgiving and forgetting" as we still harbor a grudge against Ulysses S. Grant.

thirdmanj
03-13-2012, 06:29 PM
LoL. Whatever man.

I'm well aware of crimes committed by all sides. Including the Americans. As a matter of fact the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs are still topics of debate. I suppose it's your choice of course who you foster ill will toward, but lets be honest, if we all felt the way you did we'd still be fighting. I suppose by your logic I should still hold the Crusades against all Christians..... Uh oh, shit, I'm treading on dangerous ground now. Best leave it at that.

No offense intended. Let's get back to the JZD limo thing. Feel free to PM if you'd like to continue this discussion D.

sean
03-13-2012, 09:53 PM
. Feel free to PM if you'd like to continue this discussion D.

Great idea. Further discussion on the topic will be removed.

GLM2001
11-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Attached, hopefully, is a picture of the Delorean Limo that started this thread.37810