PDA

View Full Version : VIN 1662 is back! (For WhoCruiser).

Chris Burns
03-15-2012, 07:05 PM
This is one of the most well used Deloreans out there!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-DeLorean-DMC-30-000-receipts-/300679736951?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4601e8ae77#vi-content

dvonk
03-15-2012, 10:07 PM
hm, 72,000 miles, eh? :confused2:

Chris Burns
03-15-2012, 10:35 PM
More like 225k miles! Whocruiser can tell ya all about it. I saw this car in person in Orlando at Celebration.

Mike C.
03-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Those 30k in receipts must have been Dan's from over the years, because it honestly doesn't seem like he's put a dime into it since buying it from DMCFL. Chris is right... that car's mileage is seriously understated.

whocruiser
03-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Yes I remember it well :rollin:

Had wondered when & where it would eventually turn up again. I wonder if this is the same guy who bought it directly from Tony or if it's changed hands again in those 18 months since I traded it in to DMCFL? With enough ca$h sunk into repairs it COULD be a good daily driver again, but the mileage claim of 72,000 is WAY off, LOL.
:histerical1:

I know that Tony sold it on as a "project car" with no warrantees at all and the advice that it would need a LOT of work done. I'm also quite sure that Tony disclosed that while the true mileage is technically "unknown" or "exceeds mechanical limits" (as the car ran for 12 years at one stretch and 2 years at another with no working angle drive), but that it was MUCH higher than the odometer itself indicates. MY best estimate is around a quarter million miles at present (add about 168,000 to whatever she currently shows on the clock, assuming my own daily driving at about 12,000 yearly to account for the missing angle drive.) If he's NOT the guy who bought it from Tony, I may call and tell him.
:jawdrop:

IF all the needed mechanical work WAS done, then I can believe the statement of "over $30,000 in reciepts" if you include the $10,000 that DMCFL sold it for & the cost of a complete new or fully rebuilt engine, and all the other worn out bits it had that were due for repair and/or replacement. If he's talking about the VERY thick file folder of receipts that I gave to Tony from MY 19.5 years as it's owner, then that's more like $45,000 just on parts & labor over all those years!
:mallet:

That's why I made the decision to trade it in towards an already refurbished frame-off DMC warrantied 7500 mile creampuff instead of taking it off the road for who knows how many weeks or months for a full resto and end up with a nice car that at the end of the day STILL had a quarter million miles on it. Now, if someone DID actually put THAT much into it since it left my hands, you'd think they'd have replaced or recovered the cracked dash & binnacle (although with a nice grey velour dashmat over it for the best part of 20 years it never bothered me...) or the ripped door B-pillar upholstery sections (LOL - I just sold off the new ones I'd never gotten the chance to install to James Wallen - EagleCo - on E-bay for his current project car) or the 4 terribly faded window buttons (nice new one in the middle I wired to manually raise/lower the rear mounted power radio antenna that I put in 5 years ago at a tech day at Brandon's mom's house.) Can't see the underside of the rear fascia in any of the pics, wonder if it's been replaced or does it still have the burned & melted spots in the black plastic above the tail pipes?...
:umm:

Oh well, I'm glad to see it still out there, it gave me many years & MANY miles of fun & good daily driver service. It's even been used on several TV shows over the years, as well as a Playboy model shoot (pics & vids available on request, LOL) so there's some rich history there for it's new owner to discover. I just hope whoever buys it gives it a good close look first to see exactly what (if anything) has been done to it mechanically in the last year and a half. As the Romans once said, "caveat emptor", but as Regan & Gorbachev later added, "trust but verify!"
:hss:

whocruiser
03-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Dan, I remember you saying that you had engine work done on VIN 1662. Did that involve a rebuild?

Had a complete new engine shipped out from Houston and installed by The Jag Shop in Pompano Beach in 2002. That replacement engine was worn out with coolant leaks within, causing it to burn about a half gallon of coolant out the tailpipe every week or so during most of the six months before I traded it in to DMCFL. I spoke to Tony on the phone a few minutes ago and he said the e-bay seller apparently IS the same guy who bought it from them 18 months ago (Ken Baker was still there at that time and he actually did the deal), and that he's spent no where near that much on parts (and presumably service) since then, having been quite argumentative over the necessity of the list of suggested repairs that he WAS told would be needed BEFORE he bought it from them. At the time I traded it in, it was running OK and was losing a bit less coolant after Kevin tried several different "engine sealant" additive products on it, we were never quite sure which one or combination of them actually did the trick, but we knew it was at best a temporary fix until the engine would need a complete rebuild or replacement in the $5,000 to $10,000 neighborhood. If he's not done that yet, then it will still need it. On the good side, I did get a brand new Auto Trans installed around the end of 2006 that should have plenty of good life still in it, and some serious front end frame rust was cut out and replaced by one of Ken Koncelik's front frame extension units some time in the early 2000's...
:banghead:

Chris Burns
03-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the info Dan. It's good to know that the car is still alive and kicking!:rock_on: Looks like a good project car for someone.

hollywood2311
03-16-2012, 10:32 PM
That thing sold for $13k? I should be asking $22k or more for mine then, Jesus Christ.

Dracula
03-17-2012, 03:49 AM
That thing sold for $13k? I should be asking $22k or more for mine then, Jesus Christ.

If that's the going rate, time to sell one of mine at $30,000.00.

Jimmyvonviggle
03-17-2012, 10:20 AM
I feel bad for the unsuspecting new owner who wanted to have a DeLorean and thought they were getting the deal of a lifetime.

Bopat
03-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Those 30k in receipts must have been Dan's from over the years, because it honestly doesn't seem like he's put a dime into it since buying it from DMCFL. Chris is right... that car's mileage is seriously understated.

Who changed the mileage? The owner?

I'm surprised to see that this kind of thing can happen in US. I thought that this is an Eastern European speciality :(

Dracula
03-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Who changed the mileage? The owner?

I'm surprised to see that this kind of thing can happen in US. I thought that this is an Eastern European speciality :(

Watch the movie "Used Cars" to get some idea of what type of sleazy salesmen are out there.

whocruiser
03-17-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm stuck at work now with only very limited internet capabilities on my mobile phone so I can't easily access the full e-bay site. But when I get home I intend to pull up the auction page for the seller's info and item number and then phone up e-bay's complaints or fraud department and alert them to the fact that, at the very least, he is grossly missrepresenting mileage that he was told by DMCFL is far in excess of what the odo shows. And if that pile of receipts he's so proud of is in fact the maintainance receipt folder of MY repair bills that I handed over along with the car, then I'm gonna stick my tongue firmly in my cheek and make an arguement that if they DO allow the sale to go through, then I should at least be owed a sizable cut, LOL ;-)

Dracula
03-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Someone got the wool pulled over their eyes like Steve's girlfriend.

whocruiser
08-03-2012, 01:09 PM
1662 has surfaced again.

The current owner who bought it in the aforementioned bogus E-bay deal recently contacted me looking for some more honest info on it's background. It is now in France, so at least the local mechanics will be more familiar with the PRV, and engine parts and/or full replacements will be somewhat easier and affordable than here in the USA. I also recommended that he check out Ed Uding at DMC Europe, since he's gonna be a big customer there soon anyway. He has a long road ahead of him in restoration work, but I updated him on it's last known condition when I had it, and I wish him luck on his new project. Sent him one of the Playboy shoot pics too, since he asked about it LOL...

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9936&d=1335535966

Rich W
08-03-2012, 01:55 PM
1662 has surfaced again.

It is now in France ...

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9936&d=1335535966

You may want to mention the option of contacting Chris at PJ Grady UK as another option.
Chris either just finished up (or soon to be finished) repair work on a DeLorean from France,
so may those two French DeLorean owners can "compare notes" for future restoration work.
Chris Nicholson has plenty of experience with early DeLoreans, which would be a bonus.

Later,
Rich W.