PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love it when plans change things!

Mike C.
03-20-2012, 05:01 PM
For the first time, DCS is 3 hours away from me, but it looks like I will not be attending the whole event this year... but for better reasons.

I was attempting to move to NC at the end of 2011, but due to some scheduling conflicts, I had to put the move off slightly. I was waiting for the application process to complete for the Radiology program in NC, and i was off by a few months. So instead of moving early, I decided to keep working. With this economy, it seemed like the most logical choice.

As for DCS, originally I was scheduled to stay in the hotel and attend all days. Booked my hotel room and everything. Held off on paying the registration part for DCS because I was waiting to hear from the program. Well, 3 weeks ago, I got official news that i was accepted into the program (one of 8 seats available!!). This basically fired up my need to get things sorted, packed, etc... and on my way to NC.

My lease on my place is up in June. As luck should have it, I work on site and decided that it would be nice to spend the 4th of July with my 3 year old nephew in NC. Due to the complexity of my position, I have to have several months to train a replacement, as I am the only remaining person in the company that knows how a certain job duty has to be performed in order to avoid being fined yearly. Sucks, but I was always guaranteed job security.

My last day of work is the 24th of June, and my last day as a FL resident is June 27th. I've decided selling everything off was cheaper than moving it, so I am only taking a 20ft box truck and the delorean, which now gets its home in a comfy garage.

This brings me back to DCS. Although I could still go technically, I think it's probably more financially responsible to forgo the expense of the hotel, all the nights of the convention, etc... and finish getting ready for the move. Not to mention, the 1k i'd be saving is pretty nice... lol. The fact it is the week before i move just sucks for making sure everything is properly taken care of.

I decided instead to just drive up Saturday morning at 5ish and meet up with everyone instead. My friend Mike is flying in from Atl and will be driving my daily driver to Central FL, and proceeding to Atlanta from there, where he will store my personal car for the week until i get to NC.

It sucks, but i have to look at the bigger picture. Most people will hopefully be at the show Saturday, and i will still be able to BS with everyone for an afternoon. Brandon will be taking my place a judge for the car show portion, and he will have all the information and such for the judges.

Timing can sometimes be a bitch, but for this weekend, I felt it best to be responsible with my time and clean up any loose ends. I guess 1 day of DCS is better than none!

So in 100 days exactly, it's goodbye Fort Lauderdale, Hello NC. Bout damn time... Luckily I have labs and clinicals starting August, so that leaves me some time to get acclimated.

Kukem
03-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Hey, congratulations for being accepted into a Radiology program! How long is the course? Sucks about the move though.

Dangermouse
03-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Surely the obvious solution is to either:

1. sleep in the box-truck at DCS
2. Bunk with the carb-kings in their sheep-pen

j/k

good luck in the move Mike.

Iznodmad
03-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Congrats Mike! Let me know when you get settled in NC and we can meet up.

Farrar
03-20-2012, 06:05 PM
I hope you enjoy my home state. Congrats, Mike! :)

sean
03-20-2012, 09:30 PM

j/k

Ahem,
3. Join the Wolf Pack. (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3115-Operation-DCS12-Wolf-Pack-***WAS-Any-SEDOC-going-to-DCS-and-want-a-Co-Pilot-***)

:D

Farrar
03-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Sheep den vs. Wolf pack.

Will DCS 2012 be known as the Stainless Steel Bucket of Blood? :[

Jimmyvonviggle
03-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Congrats on the career move. Of course being in radiology and driving a D you're going to get some stupid comments.

Dracula
03-20-2012, 10:02 PM
I know how you feel. I'm probably not attending due to the fact that the Wisconsin National Guard is the bane of my existence. Unless I get medically discharged before June, I have to report for a two-week training session that just so happens to overshadow DCS. First they did that when I went to Iraq, now annual training. What's worse is I'm on so many medical profiles that all I can do is stand around and guard weapons... Before those issues arose, I would've been done with OCS by now.

Bitsyncmaster
03-21-2012, 06:08 AM
Maybe DCS-14 will be in NC. Good luck on your move.

Mike C.
03-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Hey, congratulations for being accepted into a Radiology program! How long is the course? Sucks about the move though.

Thank you very much! I only have 2 years left, which are primarily clinicals and lab work. Basically I have to work for free doing internships at night, spend the days in the lab. My program down here actually didnt re-new a very important certification, and when I found that out, I and about 15 others left to find new avenues. Unfortunately I missed last years registration in NC by 2 weeks and had to wait an entire YEAR to re-apply.
That was the painful part.

j/k

HAHA! Thanks Dermot! I am definitely going to drive up early Saturday for the car portion, because I figured most people will be around that day.

I would bunk in the carbureted room, but Bill may claim I changed the lock on the door and didn't give him a key, even after I open the door for him.

Congrats Mike! Let me know when you get settled in NC and we can meet up.

Sounds like a plan! Im dying to take the car out up there! Although, since my AC is still blown and I HAD to move in June (which I swore I would NOT do...) I may be driving the oh so cool focus that weekend until the temps change!

I hope you enjoy my home state. Congrats, Mike! :)

Thank you my friend! I promise to treat her nicely!

Ahem,
3. Join the Wolf Pack. (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3115-Operation-DCS12-Wolf-Pack-***WAS-Any-SEDOC-going-to-DCS-and-want-a-Co-Pilot-***)

:D

I would, but this wolf is coming from the south that weekend!

Sheep den vs. Wolf pack.

Will DCS 2012 be known as the Stainless Steel Bucket of Blood? :[

Hmmm... Im starting to re-think my re-though plans!!

Congrats on the career move. Of course being in radiology and driving a D you're going to get some stupid comments.

Thanks Jimmy!

Yes, but i will have access to more radioactive stickers than I can get my hands on :) Plus, if I do it wrong, I will be able to power my own flux capacitor! It's win/win!

I know how you feel. I'm probably not attending due to the fact that the Wisconsin National Guard is the bane of my existence. Unless I get medically discharged before June, I have to report for a two-week training session that just so happens to overshadow DCS. First they did that when I went to Iraq, now annual training. What's worse is I'm on so many medical profiles that all I can do is stand around and guard weapons... Before those issues arose, I would've been done with OCS by now.

Man, that sucks, Chad! Hopefully something will come up and you can get out of the training! You may get budget cut! lol!

Maybe DCS-14 will be in NC. Good luck on your move.

Thanks Dave!

I was going to leave a week early and just drive up with the u-haul, but the reservation is only for 4 days. 3 of those days would be in the parking lot of the hotel, and the 4th day i'd have to haul ass to NC while towing my car, unload, and return. It's possible, but I do NOT want to rush while towing my car.

The other downfall is the Hilton does not allow pets, so i couldn't bring my dog...which i'm sorry, i'm not going to leave down south in an empty apartment just to go to a car show.

sean
03-21-2012, 08:01 AM
I would bunk in the carbureted room, but Bill may claim I changed the lock on the door and didn't give him a key, even after I open the door for him.

BWAHAHAHAHAH!! So true :D Of course this is after I stole his key and threw out all his luggage.

I would, but this wolf is coming from the south that weekend!

All im saying is the lair looks like it will have room for one more if you want to kick in and share a room with Derrek and I, maybe Eric too.

Dangermouse
03-21-2012, 08:22 AM

ahahaha - post of the week, right there

The other downfall is the Hilton does not allow pets, so i couldn't bring my dog...

Sheepdog?

whocruiser
03-21-2012, 08:32 AM
We'll miss you here down south, but you gotta do what you gotta do, and best of luck in all of your future adventures...

dvonk
03-21-2012, 03:39 PM
congratulations mike! :thumbup:

good luck with the move. that would be cool if you get to stop by DCS on Saturday.