PDA

View Full Version : New State Vehicle "Title Tax" in GA

Dangermouse
03-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Currently in GA you pay an ad valorum property tax each year on the value of your car (payable on your birthday and hence known as a Birthday Tax).

When you buy a used car at a dealer you pay Sales Tax also. When you buy privately, you don’t pay sales tax. I think that this is fairly typical of most states ??

Now the used car dealers have pushed for the law to be changed and if a new Bill goes through, we won’t pay sales tax at a dealer, but we will pay a Title Tax -6.5% (on any used car, whether it be from a dealer or craigslist) when it is first titled, but thereafter no ad valorum property tax. This will apply independent of where the car is actually bought.

How do other states tax your DD and D?

Cory W
03-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Not a State, but in Ontario it breaks down like so:

-Provincial Sales Tax (PST) Varies based on province; we were 8%
-Goods and Services Tax (GST) We were 5% before the....
-Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) A combination of both; about half the country uses it. Ontario remains at 13%
-A/C Excise Tax $100; only charged when the vehicle is new, or if being brought into Canada from the US or overseas.

If you purchase a used vehicle from a dealership, you pay the taxes again. If you purchase privately, you only pay the PST, but it is based on either the "Red Book" value (as printed on the $20 Used Vehicle Information Package the government forces you to buy) or an appraisal, whichever is higher. This is paid at the time of licensing.

Taxes can be waived if the vehicle is passed down from parent to child, provided you both appear at the licensing office and sign a declaration. In the case of the D, when we crossed the border we paid the GST portion and A/C excise, and the HST portion at licensing.

You do not pay taxes after that on your vehicle, but you pay for your sticker renewal. Up here, it's $36/yr or $72 two years. It's double this if you live further South.

Dracula
03-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Wisconsin gets you on the taxes one way or another; it's by county and, if you're a resident of one of the Indian counties, that's the only way you don't pay. Otherwise, it's an automatic 5% tax on what you paid for the vehicle plus a 1% "Stadium Tax" to cover the baseball field they built if you buy from a dealer; this tax is applied to ALL TAXABLE GOODS sold in the state. Supposedly, it was temporary...

The only way to avoid the tax is to understate the purchase price, but then they still charge a title fee of $69.50 to go with it. There's a $19.50 fee to transfer registered plates to the car and a $96.00, I think, fee, for a new set of plates for the car.

Say you're a kid and you go out and buy a $500.00 car; then you wind up owing the "wonderful" state of Wisconsin $190.50 to be able to drive the car on the roads; and that's before insurance. It's impossible to title a car in this state for less than $89.00 in fees to the state.

If you want a classic plate for the car, then it's extra money up front and waiting on the state to approve the car based on pictures that determine whether or not its been altered.

Property tax, income tax, sales tax; we've got it all here! I can't wait to move.

Bitsyncmaster
03-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Here in Maryland you pay the sales tax (6.0 %) when the vehicle is first registered. They ask you for the price you payed but not sure if they would override a low amount with book value.

In Saint Mary's county there is no property tax on vehicles as of yet. You need a safety inspection but that is waved for Historic Tags. No emissions testing on any vehicles.

ccurzio
03-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Speaking of GA registration, I just got the bill for my yearly tag renewal. Does $250 sound right to anyone? Because that seems pretty steep to me.

Bitsyncmaster
03-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Speaking of GA registration, I just got the bill for my yearly tag renewal. Does $250 sound right to anyone? Because that seems pretty steep to me.

My daily drivers are $140 for two years. My historic tag D is $50 for two years.

Soundkillr
03-20-2012, 09:01 PM

mine was 22.50 with tax and tag renewal. This was for the Delorean, in Barrow County.

Dangermouse
03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
I think mine was $70-80 in Fulton

sphiend
03-20-2012, 11:16 PM

What county? They didn't seem to know how much tax would be but acted like it should be minimal. (not $250). Guess I should find out soon.

Dangermouse
03-21-2012, 07:56 AM
mine was 22.50 with tax and tag renewal. This was for the Delorean, in Barrow County.

The point here also is that if anyone was in the market for a high priced sports car, say a Viper, they might want to get it sooner rather than later and have a budget that is 7% larger. :thumbup:

sean
03-21-2012, 08:09 AM
So im guessing if this passes cars purchased before a set date will continue ad valorum property tax? Seems like it would be bad move for the state, over time I would think they would loose tax revenue. Im surprised those tax whores would pass this.

Dangermouse
03-21-2012, 08:20 AM
That's my understanding. All your current vehicles would continue on the Birthday tax scheme.

I have to believe the tax commissioners have looked at how long people typically own their cars and have worked out that they will make money in the long run. Remember, your ad valorum number decrease over time, whereas the Title tax will be based on the most expensive value.

But, (and it's a big but, that I wasn't going to mention earlier lest the thread veers into a political realm), I think the State are claiming that they will lose money on this, so the only way to keep the coffers full is to introduce state sales tax on internet sales for residents of GA. I believe the two tax changes are part of the same bill.

Soundkillr
03-21-2012, 12:05 PM
The point here also is that if anyone was in the market for a high priced sports car, say a Viper, they might want to get it sooner rather than later and have a budget that is 7% larger. :thumbup:

This is true, and im laughing because that actually crossed my mind. But say I buy a car at 30k, and the seller and I both report I bought it for 15k, and made another donation of 15k to the sellers house fund that went un reported. Seems to me it would be long before cash buyers started to bend the rules on private sales.

Dracula
03-21-2012, 12:21 PM
If I intend to buy a car in cash, as I almost always do, I may "accidentally" drop all but $500.00 onto the hand of the owner of the vehicle I'm interested in and he, in return, keeps what he found and decides to give me a break and sell the car for $500.00 since I just lost a significant sum of money.

Not that I've done this before...

FABombjoy
03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Michigan is 6% sales tax of the sale price on registration.

DeLorean registration fees are:

$29/yr for standard plate (add $15 for vanity). Pre-1984 (or 85?) Michigan prices are determined by weight, not MSRP.

or

$30 for 10 years if registered as historical. This also nets you about a $100/yr discount on insurance. Yes, that's $3 / year. My tag expires in the year 2019.

nullset
03-21-2012, 02:15 PM

Mine was ~$2.50 Ad Valorem……

--buddy

ccurzio
03-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Mine was ~$2.50 Ad Valorem……

--buddy

What the shit? Does registration paperwork ask for the value of the car or the sale price?

If it does, that's probably what got me.

Dangermouse
03-21-2012, 02:46 PM
This is true, and im laughing because that actually crossed my mind. But say I buy a car at 30k, and the seller and I both report I bought it for 15k, and made another donation of 15k to the sellers house fund that went un reported. Seems to me it would be long before cash buyers started to bend the rules on private sales.

I would imagine that they would use whatever figure they use today for the ad valorum. No, say you brought a "project" viper for half-price, with a bill-of-sale, would you be able to use that figure?

nullset
03-21-2012, 02:48 PM
What the shit? Does registration paperwork ask for the value of the car or the sale price?

If it does, that's probably what got me.

I got a letter saying they couldn't automatically calculate it the first year, then I called them and they told me that.

My total for renewing 2072 this year was $22.70. I'm not sure if that includes the "convenience fee" of paying it online or not.

--buddy

hollywood2311
03-21-2012, 07:02 PM
How do other states tax your DD and D?

In NC, it's 3% of the purchase price of a new car. For used, it's 3% of the "value" as determined by the state. Plus whatever local property taxes you pay, which vary from county to county.

Tags are $28/year, specialty plates add $30. All cars must be inspected every year (total bullshit), for 1995 and older, I think it's $13 or $14. For 1996 and newer, it's $40 or so (they hook the car up for OBDII testing).

I think if you trade in, you're only taxed on the portion you pay in cash. I may be wrong though.

DMCVegas
03-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Nevada charges sales tax on vehicles purchased from dealers. Private Party sales do no incur any sales tax at all. The screwy thing is that if you buy the vehicle from a dealer out of state, you have to pay the difference in Sales tax. So if you got a car from another state with lower sales tax, and the difference compared to Nevada's tax had you bought a vehicle there was say $100, you owe that additional amount at the time of registration. And if you get said vehicle from Utah where they don't pay ANY sales taxes to the state for vehicle sales, they roll said tax into your loan, and then cut you a check later on to take to the DMV.

And here we aren't even figuring the additional taxes for county use such as Luxury Tax. That and other fees vary from county to county. The way it's figured is you have to pull up the original MSRP on said vehicle, depreciate the value by however many years old it is, and then calculate the Luxury Tax percentage there. However there is an absolute minimum you can incur. Usually you hit this around 10 years or so depending upon the original MSRP. In that case the DeLorean was a flat $43. Our used 07 F150 was about $400. Personalized, as well as charitable and collegiate plates of course are extra, and on average between $20-$90.

Texas is very similar here, but only for passenger cars. Light duty trucks up to 1-Ton are a flat $45. Which makes perfect sense. Save a little each year, but spend hundreds extra on fuel taxes. Whoever the politician was who crafted that law was really smart.

Charitable and Collegiate plates here are about the same price. Unless you order custom ones from myplates.com. Then they get REAL expensive REAL quick! A personalized, custom background plate can set you back as little as $60 a year. With a 10 year registration commitment and other fees... Meaning you gotta fork over $795 up front in addition to the vehicle's registration just to keep them. Otherwise it's $395 a year just for the plate. Not really thinking ahead there. Of course these plates can get even more confusing (http://myplates.com/img/press/brochures/myplatesTseriesEdFlyer09.jpg) to out of state law enforcement.

nullset
03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
I just checked. My Ad Valorem tax for 2012 was….. $1.78!

--buddy

ccurzio
03-26-2012, 02:50 PM
That's insane. I just pulled out my renewal notice and here's the shit they're feeding me:

Taxable Value: 8880
Total Fees Due: $250.28

nullset
03-26-2012, 02:51 PM
That's insane. I just pulled out my renewal notice and here's the shit they're feeding me:

Taxable Value: 8880
Total Fees Due: $250.28

Wow. Please don't tell them they missed me! :)

--buddy

ccurzio
03-26-2012, 03:08 PM
So I called the tag office to find out what's up. Since it was a title transfer with documented prices, they charge based on 40% of the sale price. And since I was honest, I now have to pay more to register my DeLorean than it costs to register my Audi.

Awesome.

nullset
03-26-2012, 03:21 PM
So I called the tag office to find out what's up. Since it was a title transfer with documented prices, they charge based on 40% of the sale price. And since I was honest, I now have to pay more to register my DeLorean than it costs to register my Audi.

Awesome.

Interesting. They never asked me anything like that. The first year I got a note saying they couldn't calculate it and I had to call. When I called, they told me a number. I was never asked what the sale price was.

--buddy

DMCVegas
03-27-2012, 02:32 PM

Awesome.

DMV employees aren't exactly the brightest out there. Hell, I suppose this one would even qualify for stupid DeLorean comment of the day if it hadn't have happened so many years ago.

The first time I went to register my DeLorean I had a hell of a hard time with the clerk who didn't even want to register the thing. She couldn't find the original MSRP because she was looking in a Kelly Blue Book. So she told me I'd have to come back with the original window sticker. I told her to grab the NADA guide that was on the shelf behind her, she refused saying it wasn't for official DMV use. We argued back and forth about everything from how if it wasn't for "official use" why they even had it there, what stipulations in writing were there that said I had to bring in a window sticker, the fact that she couldn't even think of any other official documentation or how other people with older vehicles registered theirs (she'd never done anything on a car older than 5 years), and of course why she wouldn't just grab that damn orange book behind her! We were at an impasse so I requested to speak with her supervisor.

Supervisor walks over, and I calmly explain the entire situation to her. She gives me this dumbfounded look of disbelief, hangs her head do and sighs, then apologizes to me. She turns around, grabs the NADA guide off the shelf and thumbs through it until she finds Delorean, then hands the clerk the guide pointing to the printed MSRP and tells her to proceed with my registration. The clerk actually mumbled and started to almost argue with her supervisor about why she was allowed to use the orange book. As it turns out the supervisor had to explain to her that "Blue Book Value" was just a slang term regarding vehicle values. As a result of taking the phrase literally, she thought she could only use price quotes from out of the one book that was BLUE!

Dracula
03-27-2012, 02:38 PM
It seemed fitting to reintroduce this picture in this thread:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8867&d=1331339342

timothymoore
03-28-2012, 09:28 AM
I live in ohio and the only time i pay anything on my car, is a 6.75 percent tax whenever i buy one used or new,a small title fee (like 1 or 2$) and then yearly when i buy tags for my truck which are 75$ a year. i bought my D for 8500 and ended up paying $575 in taxes .

sphiend
04-05-2012, 11:31 PM

Awesome.

When I registered, i don't recall having to tell them the sale price and I don't *think* it was on the original title. That said, the PO did not have the title in hand at the time of sale. We did a direct bank to bank transfer to pay off his loan. The bank then released (mailed) the title to him and he immediately signed it and sent to me. The tag office took the signed title without requiring a bill of sale. The new title in my name arrived a few weeks later.

I expect to get my tax bill in a month or two. Sure hope it is not $250. Not sure how your situation differed or how/why the tag office got the sale price on a personal sale.

Dangermouse
04-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Just found this handy-dandy tax calculator for GA.

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/AdValorem/Default.aspx

Shows an ad valorum tax on an 81 D as being $93.61 for 2012 (in my county/city)

If you are paying more than this, I would suggest printing it off and sending it to them (btw, I only charge a 10% finders fee on any savings :) )

sphiend
04-28-2012, 10:06 AM
When I registered, i don't recall having to tell them the sale price and I don't *think* it was on the original title. That said, the PO did not have the title in hand at the time of sale. We did a direct bank to bank transfer to pay off his loan. The bank then released (mailed) the title to him and he immediately signed it and sent to me. The tag office took the signed title without requiring a bill of sale. The new title in my name arrived a few weeks later.

I expect to get my tax bill in a month or two. Sure hope it is not $250. Not sure how your situation differed or how/why the tag office got the sale price on a personal sale.

So it seems that if you have title, don't have to give them bill of sale (and thus no sale price) then you are better off because they use the rate in their system which is low for a 30 year old vehicle. On the other hand if you don't have the title and only have the bill of sale then it seems they record the sale price to determine your tax rate. That sucks.

My tax bill should be arriving any day. Will be interesting. I never gave them a value or sale price.

Ron
04-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Looks like yours is going to be $127.18

======

RE: Under Stating Actual Value - A Double Edged Sword!
If your car gets totaled and you don't have a written value in your policy, the insurance company will use the County's assessed value to get over on you! (Showing receipts for a new engine, for example, will not amount to much because they will say "it had to have one anyway"...you get the picture.
If your policy is simple PLPD and someone else causes it, you are all but SOL!

sphiend
04-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Looks like yours is going to be $127.18

======

RE: Under Stating Actual Value - A Double Edged Sword!
If your car gets totaled and you don't have a written value in your policy, the insurance company will use the County's assessed value to get over on you! (Showing receipts for a new engine, for example, will not amount to much because they will say "it had to have one anyway"...you get the picture.
If your policy is simple PLPD and someone else causes it, you are all but SOL!

FYI - So the tax bill came today. Says they could not calculate ad-valorem tax, please contact tax commissioner.

Dangermouse
04-30-2012, 08:28 AM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Direct them to their own website that I posted the link for Post 31.

nullset
04-30-2012, 08:30 AM
FYI - So the tax bill came today. Says they could not calculate ad-valorem tax, please contact tax commissioner.

That's what happened to me, and it ended up being very low when I called them.

--buddy

Ron
04-30-2012, 11:15 AM
That's what happened to me, and it ended up being very low when I called them.

--buddyLOL! Same here.
Florida was dropping the "SC" prefix from their VINs back then (too many characters for their system). Even though I had the original and POs copy, GA said they couldn't verify it and that I had to get an affidavit from a GA law officer verifying the VIN and bill of sale from the PO -- That cost them. They bitched about the price so I told them the trans was blown and it needed a paint job (true). Then, I signed an affidavit stating it would not be on public roads until it was repaired and insured. $18.00 total.
Shortly after, the PO sent off for a copy with the full VIN and gave it to me.

All avoidance v/s evasion- But now, since I just painted the fascias and want to use it semi-daily, I'll have to bend over for the vanity tag...

Dangermouse
06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Speaking of tags, I have been seeing the first of the new Georgia car tags , and man are they awesome !!

An awesome waste of money, that is.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to bitch about how our auto-tax dollars are spent for a minute.

They take this:

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/plates/images/2004/A1_Large.jpg

which is clear and legible, basic requirements for a tag plate, and replace it with this

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/plates/images/2004/AA_Large.jpg

which looks like an 8 year old designed it. You have to be within a few feet to work out what the “design is” in real life and if the car has a tag frame, then you are AOL.

And real life tests (by me) fund that the legibility is worse on the road.

To make matters worse, the letters are much thicker that those shown, the county sticker that goes on the bottom has a white background, yet the area it goes on is green. Then add a bright pink 2013 tax decal over the peach in the corner and it’s just a hot mess.

/rant.

Normal programming is now resumed.

Dangermouse
02-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Summarizing this thread: From March 1st, Georgia is changing its car-tax system from an annual ad valorem to a one time sales tax payable when the car is purchased.

This change in tax law came about because the used car dealers felt that they were at a price disadvantage with customers looking at used cars either on their lots or via craigslist/ebay etc.

To a certain extent I can understand that. While a car may sell for $12,000, say, privately, the dealer will be looking for $15,000 and then have to add on 7% sales tax. The dealers wanted to level the playing field so that the private buyer will pay 7% tax whenever the car is registered.

My question is this: If you trade in a car at the dealer, you only paid sales tax on the difference. Trade in a $6000 car in the above deal, and you would only pay tax on $9000. So can a person who sells their old car privately claim a tax credit on that year’s tax return? i.e. pay 7% on that $12,000 car above at time of registering and then claim 7% of the $6000 car on their 2013 taxes next year.

I know the answer is almost certainly No, but I wonder how members in other states deal with sales tax in this situation..

eagle-co94
02-21-2013, 05:27 PM
FL has been like that for a while. My issue with that is that you have to pay the tax EVERY TIME a car changes hands! Yes, even my $2500 parts car I picked up 3 years ago (if I intend to title or register it). The title will stay open until I am done with the parts that I need from it. Oh and FL now charges I think $225 for each car registration (one time fee). It used to be $100. That fee is just so that you can apply for a title! That's when the taxes are paid, registration is another set of fees.

Dangermouse
02-21-2013, 05:34 PM
So, do you get a tax credit when you sell a car privately James?

eagle-co94
02-21-2013, 05:39 PM
No, the taxes aren't paid at the time of sale, but are paid when you apply for the title. Individual sellers don't have anything to do with the taxes. I bought a car once with nice aftermarket wheels so I offered one price for the wheels/tires, and another for the car. That's what I paid taxes on to the DMV.

ccurzio
02-21-2013, 06:04 PM
I hope this means I'm not going to get hit with my yearly obscene registration fees come April.

Dangermouse
02-21-2013, 07:06 PM
No, the taxes aren't paid at the time of sale, but are paid when you apply for the title. Individual sellers don't have anything to do with the taxes. I bought a car once with nice aftermarket wheels so I offered one price for the wheels/tires, and another for the car. That's what I paid taxes on to the DMV.

Oh.

Previously in Ga you paid the sales tax at the dealership based on the net price, as the dealership was the entity that registered the car for you on your behalf. I'll have to check and see if that has changed.

Dangermouse
02-21-2013, 07:08 PM
I hope this means I'm not going to get hit with my yearly obscene registration fees come April.

Yes, any car registered before 1/1/12 sticks with the birthday tax as before. I think cars registered between that date and 2/28/13 could choose either system (ad valorem or one time sales tax)

cybercusp
02-21-2013, 07:52 PM
In another thread there was a discussion about buying a vendor car, and for me the tax was something that I had to consider because in Illinois we have to pay tax on any car bought from a dealer no matter where. So, I got to write a check at the DMV for $2300. It helps offset incarceration costs of our last 4 governors.

eagle-co94
02-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Sorry I didn't explain myself, you pay taxes at the time of sale to a dealer (and if you're out of state you take your receipt with you and that should be a credit towards your own state taxes). If you buy from an individual you will pay the taxes when you apply for the title. Your title would likely be processed by the dealer at time of purchase. I try to avoid buying cars from dealers unless they're brand new. Very little on the road under $70k interests me and that's already outside my budget so I have pretty much sworn off new cars for a long time.

Dangermouse
05-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Three interesting pieces of info that I leaned about this today.

1. Based on the GA Dor website tax estimator, if I were to buy a DeLorean today and take it for title, the new tax would cost me about $450. After that, I think it would be about $20 a year.

2. If a new resident moves to GA with his DeLorean, he too will pay $450 to title it

3. Cars prior to 1985 do not require a title in GA (it’s optional for years 1963-1985 and not possible prior to 1963). If I opt for title-less, I don’t pay that $450, just the $20

So, fellow DeLorean owners, please don't be too surprised in the future if all Georgia cars are sold without a title.

Soundkillr
05-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Dermot, agree, titles are going to start to disappear, to avoid this robbery the state has forced on us. They have tried to jack us or many years, and most recently the novelty tags. Those where supposed to be standard renewal charge with the money going to wild life, breast cancer, or whatever. Soon the funds found there way to ga instead of the groups. Then, those tags where grossly overcharged, so people starting turning them in in mass numbers. Then state went to dealers, to see if they could level the playing field (something the dealers have been proposing to the state for a long time as it made cars sales more difficult and they lost revenue, to private non taxed sales) I used to buy and flip cars. N way ill do it now. Not worth my Time. I'm not going to be beat up on tax on a car, to sell it, only to have the buyer, beat me up on tax.
Btw the ga DMV is determining the value of your car based on Kelly blue book high side value. Fair huh? I also heard if you buy a total loss vehicle, and diminished value from your tax assessment is a WHOPPING 100 dollars of the value.
This new law is stupid,,,ill be keeping my old crappy car thanks.

DMC5180
05-31-2013, 01:29 AM
Three interesting pieces of info that I leaned about this today.

1. Based on the GA Dor website tax estimator, if I were to buy a DeLorean today and take it for title, the new tax would cost me about $450. After that, I think it would be about $20 a year.

2. If a new resident moves to GA with his DeLorean, he too will pay $450 to title it

3. Cars prior to 1985 do not require a title in GA (it’s optional for years 1963-1985 and not possible prior to 1963). If I opt for title-less, I don’t pay that $450, just the $20

So, fellow DeLorean owners, please don't be too surprised in the future if all Georgia cars are sold without a title.

My Car originally came from Atlanta 19 ears ago. So If I were to purchase a Georgia car today that falls into the title-less category. What is proof of ownership path to have the title-less car re-titled in a new state? Is there a special Bill of Sale for title-less vehicles that states the said vehicle did not require a title in the state of Georgia.

Ron
05-31-2013, 01:52 AM

FYI- It's prior to 1986 (you will need a notarized Bill of Sale). It's not possible after 1985 without jumping through a lot of hoops (title search/bonds/affidavits/etc).

Unless something has changed VERY recently, you can get a title??

Soundkillr
05-31-2013, 02:44 AM
Somehow this fact got left out of my original rant. I agreed with Dermot that titles will disappear. If you are title exempt by age, you would be stupid to turn In the title and pay tax for it. Why do that when all you need to pay is the 20 dollar tag fee. Just bought a street legal rail buggy, and did the same thing. State valued it at 5 or 6k, so why turn in the title? I just paid the 20 dollar tag fee and moved on.....

Ron
05-31-2013, 02:51 AM
Ben needs to come see me and fix my dent so I won't get ragged for being off topic...

Soundkillr
05-31-2013, 02:55 AM
Ben needs to come see me and fix my dent so I won't get ragged for being off topic...

Ron, it's past your bed time. Why you still up huh? :)

Ron
05-31-2013, 03:02 AM
Ron, it's past your bed time. Why you still up huh? :)I can't sleep worrying about it.....

Soundkillr
05-31-2013, 07:00 AM
I can't sleep worrying about it.....

Lol, now that's funny! </derail>

Dangermouse
05-31-2013, 08:34 AM
My Car originally came from Atlanta 19 ears ago. So If I were to purchase a Georgia car today that falls into the title-less category. What is proof of ownership path to have the title-less car re-titled in a new state? Is there a special Bill of Sale for title-less vehicles that states the said vehicle did not require a title in the state of Georgia.

That's a good question, and really one for your state's DMV (or countries DMV)

The two pieces of paperwork that you would have would be a Bill of Sale and current (and previous) vehicle registration documents.

FYI- It's prior to 1986 (you will need a notarized Bill of Sale). It's not possible after 1985 without jumping through a lot of hoops (title search/bonds/affidavits/etc).

Unless something has changed VERY recently, you can get a title??

I recently registered a 1971 Triumph TR6 with only a non-notarized BoS and out-of-state registration docs (in my name). No title. To complete the transaction, a city police officer visited me (well the car) at home and verified the VIN matched my paperwork and also called in a "stolen-VIN" report from his car. Came back a couple of minutes later with a signed report.

I took the report to the DMV and got a new GA registration, but no title.

DL4567
05-31-2013, 04:02 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to sell a car without a title. Seems like that would be a red flag for a purchaser, even if you told them about the new law. They'd probably think it was an excuse to cover up something fishy.

Ron
05-31-2013, 04:11 PM
I recently registered a 1971 Triumph TR6 with only a non-notarized BoS and out-of-state registration docs (in my name). No title. To complete the transaction, a city police officer visited me (well the car) at home and verified the VIN matched my paperwork and also called in a "stolen-VIN" report from his car. Came back a couple of minutes later with a signed report.

I took the report to the DMV and got a new GA registration, but no title.Yeah, one of these I guess:
http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/pdf/motor/t-22b.pdf

Just be glad you had the out of state docs (that covered you) and he liked you and what he saw ;-)

Dangermouse
05-31-2013, 04:26 PM
I presume in the new scenario, that you would still keep the old title (say from another state, or even an old GA title), signed by the PO. As long as you have a continuous paper-trail, you won't have a problem registering it.

Ron
05-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Dermont,
Did you happen to ask if there was an option to later get a title before transferring (say, where the purchaser was willing to pay the price to have one)??

Dangermouse
05-31-2013, 04:35 PM
I was told "once you go black you can't go back"!

No, that wasn't it.

"Once you go "non-title" you can't go back". That's it.

Although I get the feeling that is a "just because" sort of thing.

For clarity, that was in relation to the TR6, before all this sales tax change. So, no, I don't know for sure atm, but I would expect not, just because.

Ron
05-31-2013, 04:41 PM
LOL

In this case (71 is 86 up), I bet you could pay for a title search and get one...just because of the fee.
Otherwise, I bet you are right -"just because".

Dangermouse
09-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Yea,

we're #1

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130916/AUTO03/309160012/1148/auto01/Where-you-live-affects-car-costs

completely co-incidentally, I'm sure

Dangermouse
10-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Just reading a thread on another forum that refers to a little publicized category in the GA DMV for classic cars, with a code of 0020M (see attached (only) page from the 1000 page tax manual). He had an 85 Ferrari and got a renewal notice with the ad valorum at $230. He called the DMV and they switched him to this code, and it dropped to $2.61 as the valuation dropped to $100.

My renewal isn’t until next summer, but I thought it may be useful to someone else.