PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a bunch about welders?

GS450-Junkie
03-20-2012, 06:47 PM
I'd like to purchase a MIG welder, and I'd like to get a Miller. Anyone on here know much about them? What are my options? Just doing a local search I have the option of buying either a Millermatic 250X or a Millermatic 251. Both are equally priced, and within my budget, although I'm not entirely sure what they are worth in the first place. They are both in really good shape overall, not many hours on either of them. I would like to set up the machine I get to run aluminum wire so I know I need an Argon gas or Argon gas mix, and probably a special push/pull gun setup as well. There is also a Millermatic 210 for sale as well, but that is a lot more money. Anyone? Thanks....

Kenny_Z
03-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I don't know those machines in particular, maybe Stacey David covered them in this segment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBi4vX8Y3hs

Bitsyncmaster
03-20-2012, 08:03 PM
You definitely want to use argon (mix) gas even for welding steel. The flux coated wire is a pain to clean up and cost a lot more. You can weld thinner steel also with smaller wire.

For aluminum you will need a spool feeder on your gun. Aluminum wire will not feed through the long welding cable.

I have an old Lincoln SP-100 which has served me well over the years.

nullset
03-20-2012, 09:57 PM
I'd like to purchase a MIG welder, and I'd like to get a Miller. Anyone on here know much about them? What are my options? Just doing a local search I have the option of buying either a Millermatic 250X or a Millermatic 251. Both are equally priced, and within my budget, although I'm not entirely sure what they are worth in the first place. They are both in really good shape overall, not many hours on either of them. I would like to set up the machine I get to run aluminum wire so I know I need an Argon gas or Argon gas mix, and probably a special push/pull gun setup as well. There is also a Millermatic 210 for sale as well, but that is a lot more money. Anyone? Thanks....

Welding aluminum is a huge pain. Do you have someone teaching you to weld?

Start with steel.

If you're going to do aluminum, I'd strongly recommend learning to mig and tig steel first, then tig aluminum.

--buddy