PDA

View Full Version : Road trip! Route Recommendations/Stories/Experiences? (North Florida to NYC)

kajcienski
03-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Hello fellow D-ers! I thought I would start this thread to see if there were any recommendations on an interesting route to take from Tallahassee Florida up the east coast to NYC? Or maybe just open it up to share any interesting experiences/stories on road trips you have taken with your D... After a 4 month vacation at my parent's house in North Florida for the winter (where my father tinkered away at a few fun projects for the car), my D is ready to hit the road back up to NYC! I will be leaving the 15th of April and stretching the trip out for 3 1/2 days (basically into geographical 3rd's). Since I am driving with a good buddy of mine, we thought we might entertain a few ideas such as taking "scenic" Route 1, perhaps some coastal roads, or maybe just hit certain destination cities on the way up... Not sure yet. We are both into historical towns/attractions, good food, and scenic drives. I look forward to your input!

I will probably be posting pictures and progress just for fun... Let's hope it is not in the form of an SOS. Wish us luck!

Chris Burns
03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Sounds awesome man! If you're in the Fernandina Beach/Jacksonville area, let me know!

Iznodmad
03-26-2012, 04:12 PM
If you find yourself traveling up I-85 at all, or in close approximation of Lexington, NC........then let me know. I'm always up for meeting DeLorean folk.

SoCalDMC12
03-26-2012, 04:52 PM
I just returned to LA from Las Vegas... perhaps 600 miles, round trip. The drive out was rather uneventful; LA traffic, followed by wide open roads at high speed. The trip home, however, was a traffic mess, and included bouts with gusty winds, rain, hail, and even some snow!

A few observations:
- Stock headlight performance has always been a weak point, and that opinion was galvanized last night; visibility is pathetic in bad weather. May upgrade soon.
- The rear quarter windows fog up pretty badly in wet weather, limiting visibility. I wonder if FogX on the engine-facing side of the glass would work?
- The trunk isn't very deep, so packing requires some thinking. (But I was able to fit my stuff into the car. A roller bag suitable for an overhead bin will fit on the parcel shelf.)
- Other than that, a Delorean makes a pretty good travel companion.

David_NYS
03-26-2012, 06:36 PM
That's very strange... I saw your post, I'm actually going to be going the opposite direction around the same time, haha!

I'm planning on driving my DMC-12 down from Buffalo, and I thought I might just drive over to NYC, do some shopping, stay the night, and head down the coast to Georgia.

It should be a good trip for you. If you're anywhere near the Augusta or Savannah area, give me a shout out! :raveon:

- David

kajcienski
03-26-2012, 08:15 PM
That's very strange... I saw your post, I'm actually going to be going the opposite direction around the same time, haha!

I'm planning on driving my DMC-12 down from Buffalo, and I thought I might just drive over to NYC, do some shopping, stay the night, and head down the coast to Georgia.

It should be a good trip for you. If you're anywhere near the Augusta or Savannah area, give me a shout out! :raveon:

- David

Very cool! I'm going to try and do a few meet-ups on the way since people are up to it! One work of advice if you stay in NYC - find a garage without an elevator and with enough room between parking rows for the attendants. It took me a while to find a garage that treated cars with respect ;)

David_NYS
03-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Very cool! I'm going to try and do a few meet-ups on the way since people are up to it! One work of advice if you stay in NYC - find a garage without an elevator and with enough room between parking rows for the attendants. It took me a while to find a garage that treated cars with respect ;)

Awesome, it's cool you are taking you time going up the coast. Savannah is definitely one of the places I would recommend stopping on the way... It's just a really neat city. Very historical, but it also has a decent night life.

Thanks for the advice; why should I look for a parking garage without an elevator btw? :rollin: