PDA

View Full Version : Delorean PARANOIA!!!!_

DMC3165
03-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Maybe this is just me but is anyone else paranoid when driving their D? When I was using it everyday I found this subsided a little. But lately I only use it once a week and it makes me real nervous. I'm always worried if something will break or God forbid I have a bad accident.

I think for me it may be driven more by money then anything else. Things are a little "tight" these days. But I was just curious if anyone else feels this way when they're cruising around in theirs.

I should also add I was in a bad wreck in mine many years ago (not my fault) that sort of altered a lot of my driving habits. So if anyone here is a psychoanalyst please feel free to comment on that as well.
:paranoid:

sean
03-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Maybe this is just me but is anyone else paranoid when driving their D? :

Nope, that's what insurance is for.

sdg3205
03-27-2012, 09:26 PM
I can tell you exactly when I start to get anxious.

1. Idling in traffic (crossing the border, a parade or going to work)
2. Crossing a bridge (we get fined big time for breaking down on a bridge in BC)

Basically any time I can break down with no escape route.

Ikeaboy1
03-27-2012, 09:40 PM
I get nervous when parking mine in a public place when I know I'm going to be away from it. I just have visions of people dancing on the hood or throwing their massively long Scion Tc door into my LFF when I'm not looking.

I had a fright a week or so ago when I was driving it home down a dark, windy country road at about 11 pm. All the sudden a super strong stench hit me in the face, so strong I couldn't really identify it. I knew it had to be either a skunk, or something burning. As I'm looking for a spot to pull over to check the car, I passed the freshly shredded skunk carcass. Whew - I really didn't want to ever have to use my fire extinguisher.

pezzonovante88
03-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah, sort of. I think for me, its all the attention and people staring constantly. It makes me feel vulnerable, I guess. I also get a bit worried that something is going to bust and all the headache that goes along with that. It idle hunts a lot, and I see the oil pressure gauge bouncing up and down, and just little things like that. I'm glad I have a fire extinguisher. But ya know what? That's all part of the excitement of owning a unique/exotic, classic automobile. I like it to be a bit of an occasion when taking the car out - it makes the experience more exciting.

Chris Burns
03-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Mr Naff, the gentleman that introduced to Deloreans to me at age 11 use to tell me that when he took his Delorean out he would park as far away from shopping carts as possible! I figure I will do that same.:tongue2:

sdg3205
03-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Mr Naff, the gentleman that introduced to Deloreans to me at age 11 use to tell me that when he took his Delorean out he would park as far away from shooping carts as possible! I figure I will do that same.:tongue2:

Yes, but then I still worry about kids popping the front emblem off the grill as a souvenir.

stevedmc
03-27-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm always worried if something will break or God forbid I have a bad accident.

I'm used to stuff breaking all the time. And when things seem to be going fine, someone else seems to screw up my car for me.

Its just part of life I guess. You fix the problem and go about living your life. You are going to die anyway. You might as well live it and not worry so much.

QuadcityDMC
03-27-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm so so on driving around. I get paranoid when leaving the car out while wife and I have dinner at a restaurant. I find myself looking for SUVs to hide the car in a parking lot. I also had a close call last week while driving an SUV didn't see me or even look, she was talking on the phone.

I get followed a lot also, happened to night. A friend and I left our union meeting and drove to the local pizza hut. Then this guy, I would say late 20's wanted to see the car. He told me him and his girlfirend followed me to the pizza hut. Nice guy but covered in ICP cloths and tattoos. (Insane clown posse)

Once more classic cars get out on the road for car show season I'll feel better driving it. right now it really sticks out of the crowd

Michael
03-27-2012, 11:21 PM
If you are scared to drive your car, any car, for any reason, then its time to move on.

sdg3205
03-27-2012, 11:23 PM
If you are scared to drive your car, any car, for any reason, then its time to move on.

I disagree because chances missed (driving the other 95% of the time we're not "paranoid") are worse than mistakes made (shit, i didn't put that together correctly).

Totally 80s
03-27-2012, 11:31 PM

There must not be any selfish, inconsiderate assholes where you live.

Notifier
03-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Yes, but then I still worry about kids popping the front emblem off the grill as a souvenir.

Great! Something I never thought about, now I've got to keep an eye out for kids with screwdrivers in their back pockets!

Nicholas R
03-27-2012, 11:49 PM
My dad is really the only person I trust to drive the car (and even that makes me nervous). Anyone else I definitely get paranoid. It's probably crazy but no one in the world knows that car like me and I know when I drive, I am constantly feeling the car and reacting, often without even knowing.

Totally 80s
03-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Great! Something I never thought about, now I've got to keep an eye out for kids with screwdrivers in their back pockets!

I've had mine stolen.

Mike C.
03-28-2012, 09:20 AM
I stole one as a kid

thirdmanj
03-28-2012, 09:43 AM
I stole one as a kid

For serious?!

dvonk
03-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Mr Naff, the gentleman that introduced to Deloreans to me at age 11 use to tell me that when he took his Delorean out he would park as far away from shopping carts as possible! I figure I will do that same.:tongue2:

reminds me of the day i got my first car, my '86 Jaguar XJS. no more than an hour after i got it, i gave my mom a ride to the grocery store to get one item she needed, and i parked far away from everyone else. we came out a few minutes later and there was a cart up against my 'new' car. boy, was i steamed. luckily it hit the rubber part of the bumper and only made a scuff... but i was so far away from everything it made me think it was intentional.

some random strangers just hated me for having a nice car, not the only time either... :disapprove:

stevedmc
03-28-2012, 11:27 AM
You people are silly. A car that is parked out in the open will draw more attention than a car parked like a normal car.

Parking out in the open also gives people the image that you are snobbish and that you think you are better than everyone else. In my opinion a car parked out in the open will only draw more attention and have more people mess with it.

If you park it like you would any other car, between a ford taurus and a F150, you are less likely to be noticed, less likely to get hit by shopping carts (a car on each side acts as a barrier) and people won't think you are a stuck up snob.

Its just a car people, not a space ship. The reality is our cheap plastic cars are worth less than most new vehicles. My neighbor just bought a new truck and he claims he got a bargain. He said it was a demo model that sold new for $58k but he got it for $38k. He seems to love his truck but I'm sure he doesn't panic and park it out in the open to avoid shopping carts.

thirdmanj
03-28-2012, 11:31 AM
It's... not.... a spaceship?! :mecry:

sean
03-28-2012, 11:40 AM
It's... not.... a spaceship?! :mecry:

According to "Tales from Space" it is :
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-z3eJaUJn7Gw/TVxuiu-cQcI/AAAAAAAAB_k/EkqC2Gt-7MY/s1600/bttf+tales+from+space.jpg

thirdmanj
03-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Nice!

stevedmc
03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
According to "Tales from Space" it is :
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-z3eJaUJn7Gw/TVxuiu-cQcI/AAAAAAAAB_k/EkqC2Gt-7MY/s1600/bttf+tales+from+space.jpg

That is a fictional book. You probably saw some stupid movie and believe the car is a time machine as well.

Btw, my brother Daniel sux at html.

thirdmanj
03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
It's not a time machine EITHER!!!???

http://img.tapatalk.com/46a04793-3486-76ea.jpg

Farrar
03-28-2012, 11:59 AM
I always park my D in a regular, normal parking space like every other car and no one has dinged or messed with it. Maybe a note under the windshield wiper saying "nice car" but that's very occasional.

stevedmc
03-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Maybe a note under the windshield wiper saying "nice car" but that's very occasional.

One time someone left me a note offering to buy the car. I never bothered to call the guy and lost the note. I've been kicking myself every since then and my brother Dan sux at html.

dmc6960
03-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I'll have to agree with driving and parking it like a regular car. That's what I've done for almost 12 years worth of daily driving with my DeLorean and the only scuffs and dents I can find I can account for doing myself.

Notifier
03-28-2012, 01:24 PM
I park my DeLorean as close to the front door of the store as possible! I actually look for that "half handicap" space, the one that's adjacent to the legitimate handicap space (shares the blue line) but isn't one. Most people are caught off guard and don't park there because they see the blue line. Bonus if the real adjacent handicap space is "van accessable" and has that extra wide hatched area.

But I would have to agree, parking in the middle of "no-mans land" is asking for trouble! I figure this, if I'm in the store (and it has windows) I can keep an eye out for people gathering around it. Plus most of the security cameras are mounted on the front of the building and don't look far into the parking lot. If someone is going to mess with the car, I want the clearest image possible.

Speaking of security cameras, anyone install one in their DeLorean on the rear parcel shelf or wall, hook it up to a portable recorder, and use it to catch people trying to mess with the car?

DeLorean03
03-28-2012, 01:44 PM
I remember I used to feel very, very, VERY strongly like most of these posts. You know what I did? I took the advice of those that have been here WAY before dmctalk was a COM and not an ORG. I parked it.

Casey has had my car since last September. Only time I missed it - when we had 24 DeLoreans for the Ohio DeLorean Club. Once I didn't see any more D's for the day = totally forgot I even owned one.

Bottom line, get great insurance and enjoy your car. People are going to stare, they are going to talk, they are going to point, and they are going to say things you don't like and they are going to do things you don't like. As long as they don't cross the line and damage your car, live a little - drive your cars and enjoy them.

I got to the point of nearly selling my car because I am - SO - sick and tired of people trying to tell me about my car and spreading misinformation everywhere. I have never, ever had anyone disrespect my car except once - someone tried to open the door while I was not even around - my friends saw it and told me. For all I know, they were just messing with me as they knew the door was like my life's work at that time.

I cannot imagine how original owners handle the constant misinformation and attention. I am hitting 9 years this Nov, and I feel like a "seasoned" owner, but by far and wide not a "long term" owner. Imagine what people that have owned this car since before some of us were born have dealt with. Some of us have owned our cars...what.. 1, 3, 5, 10 years and we are acting like we're going nuts. Some owners have owned it 30 YEARS, and they just handle the misinfo and the rude comments very well. That's how I want to be - letting it roll off my back like water on a duck.

Drive your cars, guys. Enjoy them. Don't let others ruin it for you.

Totally 80s
03-28-2012, 02:16 PM
The state of Hawaii has the smallest packing spaces in the United States. So I don't just park it anywhere. Most space have about 16 inches of clearance before you hit the car next to you.

Kenny_Z
03-28-2012, 03:25 PM
I park the D like I park all of my cars, within a 4 space area at the highest point in the lot where no stray basket is likely to head. Yes...I have the ones I frequent mapped out. I have primary and backup spots ;)

No matter where you park the D, someone is going to see it and most likely go up to it. I even took the D Christmas shopping this year because my daily was dead and the Mustang just isn't good in traffic. She doesn't overheat but drum brakes don't make for fun stop and go traffic.

I cringe when people get too close with my D, daily, and Mustang because I just don't want to be hit in any of them.

Jonathan
03-28-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm nervous in it some of the time. I put a lot of that on the first two or more years I had the car and it had a lot of surprises hiding in it I didn't bargain for. Let's just say that it was at the mechanics for 9 months when I got, and when I did finally get it home, it would take another season or so to realize I needed a new master cylinder for the brakes and a rebuild for my auto trans governor.

Imagine you just sank your hard earned cash, time, effort and heart into a car that you can't drive the speed you want (auto trans kept gears late, so it wouldn't shift very well and you ended up driving faster in town just to get to 2nd gear) AND my brakes were mushy so stopping wasn't very certain. I hated my car for the first two years or so. What also made things worse were friends, family, and fellow owners either asking you about the car or ribbing you a little about car problems. The car was a POS when i got it and my nerves were pretty shot dealing with it.

Fast forward to this last season or two and I love it. It was pretty thrilling to finally get behind the wheel and actually start to push the car to its limits because I was more confident in it. And it's just as simple as what that confidence will do for you. If you drive around corners obsessing that a TAB will break, you'll either fly into oncoming traffic, or down into a river, flip over, get locked in, blah blah blah, like Michael said, time for a new car.

So time and attention to everything I thought needed fixing helped my confidence. I am pretty thorough by nature, so once I convinced myself I had everything mechanical and safety oriented on the car in order, I felt a little better. I was a little nervous again for the first 10-20 miles after bringing it out of storage a couple weeks ago, but that went away after a couple drives.

I will agree with you though, if you're a bit of a worry wart, a DeLorean, or any 30 year old car, can be a bad idea. Trust me, I've thought about this a few times, yet it still makes its home in my garage :)

I will say I give huge credit to the DeLorean community though for helping with the car and my comfort level. If Dave and Julee weren't there, DMC in Houston, the forum and its members, local owners and even random car owners at local cruise nights, I would have sold the car a long time ago (not to mention having taken a bath on the cash part). Owning has been bitter sweet for me and sometimes that gets the better of me behind the wheel. I used to think of my car as being named "emotion", and I guess that still applies.

Dracula
03-28-2012, 11:20 PM
I've had mine stolen.

Same here, but they took the whole grille. I have a spare lying around somewhere, just in case that ever happens again.

Though, since some hoodlums tried to steal my car outright, it's moved down my concern list.

That said, I still can't wait to get back to driving one.

Totally 80s
03-29-2012, 01:31 AM
Same here, but they took the whole grille. I have a spare lying around somewhere, just in case that ever happens again.

Though, since some hoodlums tried to steal my car outright, it's moved down my concern list.

That said, I still can't wait to get back to driving one.

They stole my grill too but I found it two weeks later in the neighbors bushes.

stevedmc
03-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Maybe I'm an idiot but if you are paranoid about bad stuff happening when you drive/own a delorean, maybe you shouldn't own one because when you own a Delorean, BAD STUFF WILL HAPPEN. You've got to decide for yourself whether or not the good outweighs the bad and you have to be able to deal with problems when they happen.

A woman at the inspection station ran my car into a cement wall. I didn't even blink when it happened. I went along with the inspection like nothing happened, was happy I still had my legs, and drove to AutoZone after the inspection to get a new turn signal bulb. Life goes on and I still have my legs.

DMC3165
03-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Maybe I'm an idiot but if you are paranoid about bad stuff happening when you drive/own a delorean, maybe you shouldn't own one because when you own a Delorean, BAD STUFF WILL HAPPEN. You've got to decide for yourself whether or not the good outweighs the bad and you have to be able to deal with problems when they happen.

A woman at the inspection station ran my car into a cement wall. I didn't even blink when it happened. I went along with the inspection like nothing happened, was happy I still had my legs, and drove to AutoZone after the inspection to get a new turn signal bulb. Life goes on and I still have my legs.

I worry about my children everyday too. With that logic I shouldn't have kids either?

Mike C.
03-29-2012, 11:45 AM
For serious?!

Yeppers. Not proud of it. Was a bored 17 year old, and there was an abandoned D at a gas station near my house. One evening I had my friend jump out of the car with a screw driver and pop it off.

Sat it in my daily driver for years, but forgot to pull it out of a car and sold it with the car.

stevedmc
03-29-2012, 04:38 PM
I worry about my children everyday too. With that logic I shouldn't have kids either?

When I have kids, I’m going to let them do anything they want. Anything at all!

Tillsy
03-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Trust me, the day you become responsible for bringing a life into this world you WILL change your stance on that.

thirdmanj
03-29-2012, 05:51 PM

If you have kids. I think the first thing on your priority list should be female companionship.

:lol:

Jonathan
03-29-2012, 05:53 PM
If you have kids. I think the first thing on your priority list should be female companionship.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa-t of course!! LOL

Dracula
03-29-2012, 06:01 PM

Baby goats are called "kids". Coincidence? I think NOT!

thirdmanj
03-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Baby goats are called "kids". Coincidence? I think NOT!

Oh jeeze, I had no idea.... Steve, uhh, something you'd like to *cough, share with the group?

DMC3165
03-29-2012, 06:21 PM

Let me know how that turns out for you.

Dracula
03-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Let me know how that turns out for you.

I can see Steve as a free-range goat farmer.

DeLorean03
03-29-2012, 07:26 PM
*Politely coughs*

Hey guys....?

:offtopic:

DMC3165
03-29-2012, 08:23 PM
My Paranoia comes and goes. I get a little nervous when I'm sitting in traffic and the temp gauge goes above 180. I also get a little nervous when traffic starts slowing down and the dude behind me is texting or chatting on his phone.

The other thing driving me nuts lately is the cell phone cameras. I don't care if people take pics of the car.Just don't do it while you driving! Some lady almost ran me off the road as she tried to take of pic me in rolling traffic. Finally I flung the door open at 10 mph and said "I'll pull the F#$% over so you can take the F*&^%$# picture!!!!!" She put her head down and drove off.

Ughhh!!! some people!

Totally 80s
03-29-2012, 11:47 PM

It's not paranoia it's the world we live in. Nothing wrong with being prepared. It's the same reason I own a gun.

dvonk
03-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Nothing wrong with being prepared. It's the same reason I own a gun.

+1. also, guns are just cool anyway. :biggrin:

stevedmc
03-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Guns don't kill people.

stevedmc
03-29-2012, 11:56 PM
This is my cusin Andrew, hes in jail for shootin up a phone booth.. hes just plum crazy, I got a gun too

http://zgeek.com/trailerparkpage/uglylucker12.jpg

Dracula
03-30-2012, 12:02 AM
It's not paranoia it's the world we live in. Nothing wrong with being prepared. It's the same reason I own a gun.

Why wouldn't you? The criminals will have a gun, so who wants to be at a disadvantage?

+1. also, guns are just cool anyway. :biggrin:

That they are; there's a reason I love and collect them.

Guns don't kill people.

I do.

Farrar
03-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Guns don't kill people. Mario van Peebles!

(You have to say it out loud to get it.)

Dracula
03-30-2012, 12:23 AM

You're going to have to explain that one to me...

Kenny_Z
03-30-2012, 12:29 AM

I said it out loud and all I got were strange looks. I think I might have an appointment with a straight jacket now.

Dracula
03-30-2012, 12:30 AM
It kept coming out as "more oven, peoples" when I said it. I swear that's coincidental...

Farrar
03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
You're going to have to explain that one to me...

It's just a pun. People/Peebles.

Meh, most of my jokes suck anyway. :P

Mike C.
03-30-2012, 10:34 AM
I yelled it in my office and my boss wants to know what I have against Mario van Peebles... :chairfall:

Michael
03-30-2012, 12:37 PM
my boss wants to know what I have against Mario van Peebles... :chairfall:

One word..."Solo"

DMC_Jorge
07-18-2012, 12:48 PM

I've done the same thing with ALL of my previous cars, no matter how good or crappy they were.

I don't have a Delorean YET, but I'm a huge enthusiast and hope that I can get one in the next couple of years.