PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming movies...if there's any hope

DeLorean03
03-30-2012, 12:26 PM
So, as usual, I bring up a topic with only pure optimism as the title clearly indicates :D.

In all seriousness, let's start a thread about movies that you think may give us any indications or reasons to actually go pay $8+ per person to turn our brains off, sit back, and enjoy the fun!

For me, : Chernobyl Diaries

Click here for trailer (http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/166259-trailer-and-poster-for-chernobyl-diaries)

Yes, yes. I agree - it's the Blair Witch of Eastern Asia with a Paranormal Activity feel to it. Totally agree, uninspiring flick in terms of originality. Same ideas just in a different location.

Thing to me - it looks like they ACTUALLY went to the affected area. I have always have a fascination with deserted areas like abandoned waterparks/closed out and dilapidated amusement parks/ghost towns. I actually want to go to Six Flags in New Orleans and other such places and explore, reminisce, and go into deep thought about "What used to be, and what is now in front of me." (read: not vandalize and break stuff randomly for no reason). For me, it is humbling to see places that used to be invigorated with such life and laughter and happiness to now dead silence with nature reclaiming its territory and only memories remaining as to what you remember and experienced.../end personal and rambling thoughts moment

Anyhoo, now we get like the motherload of destitute landmasses - a disaster that basically affected entire towns and sporadic portions of the country. I think I want to go see this movie so much because I really want to go to this area - particularly the famous Pripyat Ferris wheel, get my picture taken with it, and be able to say "Yes, I was actually there - and what a sight..."

Anyhoo, personal feelings aside, looks like a fun movie. Probably just another "cheap tricks, thrills, and chills for the kiddies" movie, but hey, why not. Sometimes, it is so easy to get caught up in ALL the negativity of the news and the world, much-the-less the gripes and personal complaints we have about our DeLoreans and how non-owners talk out their asses trying to impress, that sometimes it is good - maybe even therapeutic - to just go to a theater, turn your brain off, sit back, and enjoy the show.

I know what one movie I'll be going to see this summer (or two or three if I map it out well enough in one day - gotta admit, Avengers is looking AMAZING).

That's my entry: the Chernobyl Diaries.

Michael
03-30-2012, 12:31 PM
I honestly can't remember the last time we went to the movies, I remember Clinton was in office though.

I do share your interest in Chernobyl, and thought you would love this:
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

There was some talk of this being a fake, but most of those pics are indeed hers and its hard to say otherwise.

sean
03-30-2012, 12:33 PM
That's my entry: the Chernobyl Diaries.

Im looking forward to that one.

For me Im also looking forward to:

Wrath of the Titans (http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/wrathofthetitans/)
Prometheus (http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/prometheus/)
Goon (http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/goon/)

DavidProehl
03-30-2012, 01:58 PM
I know very little about this movie, but I'm a sucker for time travel flicks.

Looper (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1276104/)

sadeeky
03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
I heard they are making a movie about John Delorean. With George Clooney. Is that still gonna happen?

sean
03-30-2012, 02:32 PM
I cant believe I forgot about this one:
The Hobbit (http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thehobbit/)

DeLorean03
03-30-2012, 02:35 PM
I heard they are making a movie about John Delorean. With George Clooney. Is that still gonna happen?

That project was killed a couple years ago. It will not be coming into fruition - at least not with George Clooney.

Mike C.
03-30-2012, 03:27 PM
The Clooney thing was a hoax. He never agreed to it. Some blurted they'd love for him to, and everyone ran with it.

As for any D movie projects, they are all as dead as the DOA....

get it? DOA... dead... :nutkick:

skynet
03-30-2012, 03:45 PM
FYI (really, I don't wanna be rude or something) Chernobyl is in Eastern Europe, not in Eastern Asia.

Kenny_Z
03-30-2012, 05:49 PM
I actually want to go to Six Flags in New Orleans and other such places and explore, reminisce, and go into deep thought about "What used to be, and what is now in front of me." (read: not vandalize and break stuff randomly for no reason).

Better hurry, rumor is that it has been purchased for an outlet mall. Did you go to University Mall before it was torn down? Shortly before Sears walled up their section I was able to walk between the large stores while everything else was empty. It was eerie.

I'm looking forward to the Dark Knight Rises. I doubt it'll be as good as the previous one but the multiple Tumblers looks awesome. I want to see Avengers, I've heard some very good things about it. Other than that I can't think of anything else I'd be willing to go to the movies to see.

Tillsy
03-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Prometheus - expecting this to be the best sci-fi flick in a long long time, can't wait!
Titanic 3D - just for sh#ts and giggles
Men In Black III - I hold no hopes for this but will give it a chance, might be a Blu-ray rather than cinema
Chernobyl Diaries - definitely looking forward to this one!
The Amazing Spider-Man - holding no hopes for this and am not even sure I will go see it yet, might be a Blu-ray
The Dark Knight Rises - been waiting for this, undecided if I'll see it at cinema yet or Blu-ray
The Hobbit - definitely off to the cinema for this one!

Jonathan
03-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Wow. I had no idea they were making that movie. It does look like they filmed at least some of it on site. Here's another link (post #9) to real life Chornobyl pictures:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3198-Got-to-see-the-face-of-the-3-million-horsepower-beast-yesterday

Farrar
03-30-2012, 06:07 PM
I actually want to go to Six Flags in New Orleans

...or, as I used to call it, "JazzLand."

Dracula
03-30-2012, 06:23 PM
That project was killed a couple years ago. It will not be coming into fruition - at least not with George Clooney.

I'd have preferred Burt Reynolds as DeLorean anyway.

SIMid
03-31-2012, 02:56 AM
$8 for a movie ticket? We pay around $16-18 for a ticket!!

David_NYS
04-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by DeLorean03

I'd have preferred Burt Reynolds as DeLorean anyway.

I don't know how many people watch the show Mad Men. When I was watching the show the other night, I had to imagine what it must have been like to work with a man like John Delorean back in those days (the show is set from 1959 through the mid-1960s).

But yeah, I would love to see a movie about JZD... Anyway, that’s me, just mindlessly typing...

:t2:

thirdmanj
04-23-2012, 08:43 PM
I've got high hopes for "Prometheus", but I'm prepared to be disappointed. It's hard to live up to 33 years of expectations.

DMCVegas
04-23-2012, 11:12 PM
I honestly can't remember the last time we went to the movies, I remember Clinton was in office though.

I do share your interest in Chernobyl, and thought you would love this:
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

There was some talk of this being a fake, but most of those pics are indeed hers and its hard to say otherwise.

No, it's fake in that she didn't sneak into the Chernobyl site. It's not some area that is sealed off by the government. You can get tours into the site, and they'll take you into the places. Most likely that's what happened here. The photos are real, but the story behind them are totally fake. It's relatively safe. The reactor is sealed off and anything else that might hurt a human is also either buried, fenced, or sealed off to protect you.

Warning:
:offtopic:

If you can't make it to Russia, Nevada (http://www.atomictourist.com/nts.htm) is still much closer.

Getting back on topic, I'm just waiting for The Dark Knight Rises. The Tumbler is pretty cool, but Bane has a nice toy himself...

http://cdn1.sciencefiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Bane-Truck-The-Dark-Knight-Rises.png

TTait
04-24-2012, 02:55 AM
For movie tech geeks, its worth noting that The Hobbit will be showing in some theaters in High Framerate 3D - 48 frames per second (per eye). It will both add to the depth and detail, it will also be less taxing to the eyes to watch versus current 3D.

Even if it wasn't The Hobbit, even if it wasn't Peter Jackson, this alone should be pretty cool - and this coming from a guy who hates most 3D...

Hopefully in 10 years we will be seeing a lot more 'high' framerate, 2D and 3D - and eventually real high framerate projects (72fps+). Its not the right look for everything, but its really going to give a sharp bump to the summer blockbusters.

Blackie
04-24-2012, 03:29 AM
$8 for a movie ticket? We pay around $16-18 for a ticket!!

22 bucks for American Pie last time I was looking to go. Just hoping it comes out at the drive in!

DMCVegas
04-24-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't know how many people watch the show Mad Men. When I was watching the show the other night, I had to imagine what it must have been like to work with a man like John Delorean back in those days (the show is set from 1959 through the mid-1960s).

Between his Pontiac speech that included a dirty joke involving a whorehouse as an icebreaker, and giving a coworker a giant nude portrait of his ex wife. At a party. In front of their friends and coworkers including the guy's new wife, I'm sure JZD would either have been rewarding or very frustrating and appalling by today's standards.

dvonk
04-24-2012, 02:45 PM
For movie tech geeks, its worth noting that The Hobbit will be showing in some theaters in High Framerate 3D - 48 frames per second (per eye). It will both add to the depth and detail, it will also be less taxing to the eyes to watch versus current 3D.

Even if it wasn't The Hobbit, even if it wasn't Peter Jackson, this alone should be pretty cool - and this coming from a guy who hates most 3D...

Hopefully in 10 years we will be seeing a lot more 'high' framerate, 2D and 3D - and eventually real high framerate projects (72fps+). Its not the right look for everything, but its really going to give a sharp bump to the summer blockbusters.

this sounds excellent; im not much a fan of 3D either, but id be willing to check it out in the high framerate (especially The Hobbit). i find the c. 30fps standard is a little too slow for my liking.

Dracula
04-24-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm more concerned with the quality of the movie itself than the film and frame rate.

dvonk
04-25-2012, 01:35 AM
i agree, it seems like its going to be pretty badass though.

im not going to want to wait until december 2013 for the second half...

EDIT: also--Bag End had dirt floors, dammit!

DMCVegas
04-25-2012, 03:02 AM
I'm more concerned with the quality of the movie itself than the film and frame rate.

Which seems to be precisely why so many studios keep releasing 3D versions. The moment I hear a flick is released in 3D, I know it's gonna suck and avoid it.

ccurzio
04-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Which seems to be precisely why so many studios keep releasing 3D versions. The moment I hear a flick is released in 3D, I know it's gonna suck and avoid it.

While I agree with you that 3D is mostly a gimmick that's seriously outlived its useful life, I will say that I saw Captain America in 3D and it was pretty cool.

Granted, I'd have enjoyed it if it were flat too.

Kukem
04-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I have a beef with motion interpolation that is used in Televisions and hopefully, with high framerate film, things won't look so fake. (most of you probably already know all of this but I just want to vent a bit, sorry) So my issue is this: when motion interpolation is used, it creates frames between frames by using the data from the 2 frames on either side. This, most times, reduces or eliminates motion artifacts like blurred images and the such from the material on screen. In doing so it creates a series of sharp still images that are processed very quickly. These sharp images do not accurately depict the motion of the object being filmed. Our brain sees motion blur, but by eliminating it, things start to look odd, or even fake. Try waving your hand in front of your face. You should see motion blur.

Anyway, I am just hoping that a higer framerate doesn't affect the natural qualities of the subjects being filmed. I have a feeling though, that it will end up looking a lot like the Motion Interpolation that is used in a lot of the HDTVs that are on the market at the moment. I guess I will just have to wait and see though.

Ikeaboy1
04-25-2012, 12:27 PM

+1

Dangermouse
04-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Going down a different lighter genre, I am really looking forward to:

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Animated-Pirates-Movie-Trailer-from-Wallace-and-Gromit-Creators.jpg

or

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rYKcb6qeUlY/Th5ASPWAoBI/AAAAAAAAACI/rzHl4e_HWY0/s1600/The%2BPirates%2BMovie.jpg

as it will be called in the UK.

Huge Wallace & Gromit fan.

(not the 3D version though)

TTait
04-25-2012, 04:04 PM
I have a beef with motion interpolation that is used in Televisions and hopefully, with high framerate film, things won't look so fake. (most of you probably already know all of this but I just want to vent a bit, sorry) So my issue is this: when motion interpolation is used, it creates frames between frames by using the data from the 2 frames on either side. This, most times, reduces or eliminates motion artifacts like blurred images and the such from the material on screen. In doing so it creates a series of sharp still images that are processed very quickly. These sharp images do not accurately depict the motion of the object being filmed. Our brain sees motion blur, but by eliminating it, things start to look odd, or even fake. Try waving your hand in front of your face. You should see motion blur.

Anyway, I am just hoping that a higer framerate doesn't affect the natural qualities of the subjects being filmed. I have a feeling though, that it will end up looking a lot like the Motion Interpolation that is used in a lot of the HDTVs that are on the market at the moment. I guess I will just have to wait and see though.

Hobbit is being shot at 48fps from the get go, no interpolation.

Where I think this might head eventually is with variable framerate. Take a film like Brainstorm and shoot the cinematic sequences at 24, which has the "film" look, and then ramp it up the surreal sequences to the super crisp look of high framerate.

Its outside of a theme park you don't get to see projected media at anything higher than 24fps, 30 (or 29.97) is a broadcast standard framerate - doesn't play often in e-cinema. Maybe you have seen it at the fathom events concerts or the like.

True high framerate is something north of 60fps - and good quality 3D that doesn't tax the eyes is also very rare as it requires one projector per eye projecting frames simultaneously, not left/right alternating from a single projector. Its just more expensive that way and theater owners are cheap bastards, so again you have to go to a theme park to see that.

T