PDA

View Full Version : New ECO cars

Bitsyncmaster
03-31-2012, 07:30 AM
I like this new Malibu but the MPG numbers don't show great gains. It works like the Prius but does not come close to Prius numbers.

http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu-eco-fuel-efficient-sedan/?eVar1=eml_chevy_family_en_late_0312

I have to start thinking about a new car in a few years. I guess every manufactur will have more choices by then.

Michael
03-31-2012, 07:55 AM
I like this new Malibu but the MPG numbers don't show great gains. It works like the Prius but does not come close to Prius numbers.

http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu-eco-fuel-efficient-sedan/?eVar1=eml_chevy_family_en_late_0312

I have to start thinking about a new car in a few years. I guess every manufactur will have more choices by then.

If you are looking for mpg, then you need to stick with conventional gas or diesel engine cars, VW Jetta diesel gets 40+ mpg for example. Hybrids and electric cars are for pc statements. They get slightly better mpg but your electric bill rises.

PS, if I had to choose a hybrid, the Honda CRZ looks like a fun little car.

micmak
03-31-2012, 10:38 AM
I don’t believe the numbers that car manufacturers claim, Dave! I bought a 2008 Malibu last October. Obviously not the ECO model which is only available now, but regardless, my story is still valid. I always liked the look of the all-new Malibu since they were introduced in 2008 and when they got such great reaction from the critics, I thought as many people did that GM had finally got it right and were back in the game again. When I learned that there was a 4 cylinder version, I was even more excited. So when my 2002 3.4 V6 Chev Impala started getting tired I traded it in and bought a 2.4 4 cylinder Malibu. Nice car. Very nice fit and finish and all that. Comfortable sized car only slightly smaller than the Impala. But the gas mileage was not great. I dismissed it at the time because I figured being a “new” car to me, I was driving it more often while it was still a novelty. Also it has a bigger gas tank, so filling it to the top, was more costly anyway. But as the weeks passed and the novelty wore off, I began putting the same amount of gas in that I had put into the Impala. Gas prices has dipped a little in Winter over what they had been in the Summer and Fall, so logically I should have been able to get better bang for my buck than during the Summer months. So I started putting my usual $50 worth of gas in on the weekends. By Thursday or Friday, I needed more. With the Impala, the $50 would easily last until the following weekend. Same driving to and from work each day. 90% highway driving. Same method of driving – same style, same everything. I expected with a 4 banger 2.4, that I would be running on much less gas per week. That was one of the main reasons that I wanted the Malibu – good gas mileage! But now it costs me $60 - $65 each week in the Malibu to drive the same distance that I used to do in the 3.4 V6 Impala for $50! I think it’s insane! Why would anyone ever step down to a smaller engine except to save money? This car is costing me MORE!!!!!!! So when I read car manufacturer’s gas consumption numbers, I am very, very skeptical.
This Malibu is a nice car. But I don’t expect I will keep it for 6 years like I did with the Impala. I would flip it now if I could afford to!

......Mike......

DMCVegas
03-31-2012, 08:12 PM
I don’t believe the numbers that car manufacturers claim, Dave! I bought a 2008 Malibu last October. Obviously not the ECO model which is only available now, but regardless, my story is still valid. I always liked the look of the all-new Malibu since they were introduced in 2008 and when they got such great reaction from the critics, I thought as many people did that GM had finally got it right and were back in the game again. When I learned that there was a 4 cylinder version, I was even more excited. So when my 2002 3.4 V6 Chev Impala started getting tired I traded it in and bought a 2.4 4 cylinder Malibu. Nice car. Very nice fit and finish and all that. Comfortable sized car only slightly smaller than the Impala. But the gas mileage was not great. I dismissed it at the time because I figured being a “new” car to me, I was driving it more often while it was still a novelty. Also it has a bigger gas tank, so filling it to the top, was more costly anyway. But as the weeks passed and the novelty wore off, I began putting the same amount of gas in that I had put into the Impala. Gas prices has dipped a little in Winter over what they had been in the Summer and Fall, so logically I should have been able to get better bang for my buck than during the Summer months. So I started putting my usual $50 worth of gas in on the weekends. By Thursday or Friday, I needed more. With the Impala, the $50 would easily last until the following weekend. Same driving to and from work each day. 90% highway driving. Same method of driving – same style, same everything. I expected with a 4 banger 2.4, that I would be running on much less gas per week. That was one of the main reasons that I wanted the Malibu – good gas mileage! But now it costs me $60 - $65 each week in the Malibu to drive the same distance that I used to do in the 3.4 V6 Impala for $50! I think it’s insane! Why would anyone ever step down to a smaller engine except to save money? This car is costing me MORE!!!!!!! So when I read car manufacturer’s gas consumption numbers, I am very, very skeptical.
This Malibu is a nice car. But I don’t expect I will keep it for 6 years like I did with the Impala. I would flip it now if I could afford to!

......Mike......

I noticed the same problem with rental cars a few years back when we had some. Had a Malibu Maxx (V6) and a Cobalt (I4). Both cars got very good gas mileage and had great pickup. Then we had an HHR (I4). That car was a total pig. It sucked down gasoline like there was no tomorrow and had the worst pickup I'd seen since Kia. The lesson I learned from that was just because a vehicle has a 4-cylinder engine, that doesn't mean that it's going to get better gas mileage. Especially if the car you put it into is far heavier. I fully believe that if the HHR had a V6 it would have gotten far better gas mileage because it wouldn't have had to work so damn hard getting up to speed. Never trust manufacturer ratings.

BTW I love this picture from Chevrolet's web site:

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/en/images/model/2012/futuremalibu/overview/13_ch_mal_ovr_int_01.jpg

The driver is fiddling with the radio, the passenger is dicking around with an iPhone, and NO ONE is paying attention to the road! Great way to tout the safety of those buttons on the steering wheel that the driver is completely ignoring.

Michael
03-31-2012, 09:07 PM
The driver is fiddling with the radio, the passenger is dicking around with an iPhone, and NO ONE is paying attention to the road! Great way to tout the safety of those buttons on the steering wheel that the driver is completely ignoring.

And the speedo is resting on zero, so they are parked.

Dracula
03-31-2012, 11:01 PM
And the speedo is resting on zero, so they are parked.

It IS a woman driver, so they could very well be on the interstate.

dvonk
03-31-2012, 11:46 PM
oooooh! :hippo:

Dracula
04-01-2012, 06:05 AM
With under 5 female members on this forum, I'm not worried about a sexist joke being a problem because, if it is, they need to get...
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9391&d=1333274672