PDA

View Full Version : General carpet with much clutch fluid

SBL
04-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Well, due to a bad the master clutch cylinder seal, I am left with a drivers side carpet with a lot of clutch fluid. Now that I have a new one in, I need to get the fluid cleaned up. Conservatively, I bet there is at least 5 resorvoirs' worth of fluid that has soaked in. I plan on taking out the carpet (not sure how, but I am sure I can figure that out). Question is, what is the best way to clean it prior to reinstallation.

Bitsyncmaster
04-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Good question. What I would do is remove the carpet and wash it many times with standard carpet cleaner outside with the garden hose.

Then if anything remains I would try different detergents. Maybe dish soap, maybe would need a solvent.

I guess you could put some fluid on a rag and experiment cleaning that.

pezzonovante88
04-12-2012, 07:56 PM
You could try taking it to a dry cleaner. I'm not sure of the effects clutch fluid has on carpet, but thats' a whole lot of chemical to soak in over a presumably considerable amount of time.

82DMC12
04-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Interestingly enough, I manage a dry cleaning plant. A dry cleaner might be able to dry clean the whole carpet, but I have never removed the carpet and I don't know what the backing is like, if any adhesive is used in the carpet, or if it is too thick or stiff. Do you have any photos of the carpet removed from the car? I could give you an idea if it's even possible to get into a dry cleaning machine.

Andy

outatym2001
04-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Seat removal.
Sit down in seat and scoot it all the way forward.
Use a 17 mm socket and remove the bolt that holds the seat belt clip with the orange push button.
Use a 13 mm socket (a deep socket is preferable) and reach under the fiberglass body and remove the four nuts and four washers securing the seat to the body.
Now get up off the ground and bend over and lift the seat out. This last part is not very much fun.

To reinstall follow the above in reverse order. When you put the seat back in just make sure the Seat Slide (seat track) is even on both sides. If it is not it will make reinstalling the seat impossible and you will get very frustrated.
Picture below of the cheap open cell foam that is under the carpet. The open cell foam is also under the black rubber triangle under the Parcel Shelf carpeting.

Oh, yeah. I have no idea what to use to clean brake fluid out of carpeting. It is also soaked into the foam so you will need to rip off the old foam and throw that away.
A product I have used that seems to work like magic on carpet stains is Woolite Carpet Stain & Odor Remover with OXY Deep.

Soundkillr
04-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Best way to clean it is remove the carpet and pressure wash it. At the detail shops when carpet is badly stained, this is the only way to really clean it. I have done it on countless floor mats, and it works. If the carpet isnt worn, it almost always comes out looking like new.

David T
04-12-2012, 09:08 PM
While I was also going to suggest dry cleaning, steam may also be good. You can start by washing them down, shampooing them, and leaving them in the sun to dry. That may be enough. If the backing (padding) is saturated it may have to be removed and replaced. Wipe the floor down with Alcohol to remove all traces. It is important to get as much out as possible. On a really hot day with the windows closed any residue will evaporate and condense on the glass inside. It will also leave an odor. You might have to do all of the carpet so it will all match (and smell much nicer too).
David Teitelbaum