PDA

View Full Version : General Warm start fuel delivery issue ( 2nd attempt for more eyes to help )

Chris Cooling
04-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Chris Cooling

My VIN: 17156

Club(s): (ODOC)

no fuel warm start issue

when the car has warmed up and after it shut off for ten or fifteen minutes , there is a no fuel issue, if i change the warm up regulator lead and the fuel delivery lead it will start again then i swap them back.the fuel system was totally rebuilt three years ago. from what ive read most people think its the accumulator but ive also had a few think it could be the pump. im leaning towards the accumulator. funny thing i put a new battery in and for a day or so had no warm start issue, coincidence ?
any thoughts ?

Chris Burns
04-12-2012, 10:59 PM
+1 for the accumulator.

Very strange issue.

Mike C.
04-12-2012, 11:02 PM
I will go accumulator or PP o-ring.

Chris Cooling
04-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I will go accumulator or PP o-ring.
hey thanks for that i do remember someone mentioning that
too price wise its a non issue you would know the part number would you i couldnt figure it out on the dmc website

Chris Burns
04-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Kit

http://store.delorean.com/p-10418-fuel-accumulator-kit.aspx

Accumulator by itself:

http://store.delorean.com/p-6548-fuel-accumulator-new-old-stock.aspx

Cory W
04-12-2012, 11:25 PM
i do remember someone mentioning that too

You're welcome ;) If you're ordering, ask Julee and Dave about the o-rings....I'm calling them (finally!) within the next week and will be asking the exact same thing (got a 3 year since install on my accumulator, two years on my pump, and a bit of hot start in the week I've driven the car this season) If they have the rings, order a few spares; they're known to get torn during the install, and you're back at square one (and not the shopping centre!)

price wise its a non issue you would know the part number would you i couldnt figure it out on the dmc website

It's literally only a few dollars more for the kit. Replace the hoses around the accumulator if you're already going in there. You'd kick yourself if you went under the car and found the hoses showed any sign of compromise when you already came this far.

WelmoedJ
04-13-2012, 03:48 AM
If you think it's the accumulator and no other fuel (pressure) related issues, your best way to prove is test the pressure.
Pressure testers allow you to check both primary, control and rest pressure.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

David T
04-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Using a fuel pressure gauge can only tell you if you are holding "Rest Pressure" and for how long. It cannot tell you why you are losing rest pressure. If the plug swap gets you going that by itself tells you there is a problem with rest pressure. Now by "process of elimination" you have to guess which of four things is causing the loss of rest pressure.
1) external leakage
2) bad fuel accumulator
3) leaking Primary Pressure Regulator (damaged "O" rings)
4) leaky or missing check valve on the fuel pump.

Actually the most likely order is 2, 4, 3, 1.
If you have an intermittent hard hot start problem I would guess a dirty check valve on the fuel pump first.
David Teitelbaum