PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Name this part...

dmc6960
04-16-2012, 05:57 PM
I pride myself on knowing most major and minor parts of the car. This one is no different, only I cannot find it on the DMCH online store. It does not show up in the interior console diagram. It is the part which the shifter plate screws into. It bolts down using the same bolts for the center console. My problem is one of the spire nuts have broken off of mine and I cannot find those either. I know I could just find one locally, but since I do not need it tomorrow an I'm compiling a list of parts to order all at once, I'd like this to be with it.

ccurzio
04-16-2012, 06:02 PM
I don't believe I'm wrong when I say that particular part isn't supposed to be a separate part from The center console itself.

stevedmc
04-16-2012, 06:07 PM
I don't believe I'm wrong when I say that particular part isn't supposed to be a separate part from The center console itself.

Nonsense.

That part is held down with the center console bolts. There are 6 bolts (3 on each side) holding the console down. Two are at the front of the car, two are just in front of the electrical switches, and the remaining two are in the back under the junk tray.

That part is bolted down in the center. The two small holes are what the shifter plate mount to.

Edit: There are also two screws that secure the console in. One screw is on the driver side connected to the knee pad and the other is on the passenger side connected to the knee pad (unless they are missing of course).

ccurzio
04-16-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm not saying it isn't a physically separate part, I'm saying it's part of (and thus, comes with) the center console itself. So it probably wouldn't have its own part number.

DMCMW Dave
04-16-2012, 06:15 PM
I believe it's an assembly-line hack and does not show up as an engineered part. If we need one we make it from raw sheet metal with our bare hands.

You may notice that the two phillips screws that go through the shift plate and into this bracket don't "officially exist" either.

Cory W
04-16-2012, 06:18 PM
The other car up here didn't have one, as we discovered when we went into the center console.

Made one out of spare sheetmetal to match mine, and it works just fine.

EDIT: If it's what Dave does... :)

jawn101
04-16-2012, 06:40 PM
I bet you could replace them with standard speed nuts from the hardware store too. They might need to be cut down to fit correctly but it would probably be the right baseline to start with.

Bitsyncmaster
04-16-2012, 07:02 PM
I have a bunch of those nuts (one holds the wheel :tongue:).

Got them here.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/tinnerman2.php

Ron
04-16-2012, 08:36 PM
If we need one we make it from raw sheet metal with our bare hands.
Um....which one of you has such tiny fingers to poke the screw holes???
:p

Jeff K
04-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Funny - I just had to buy one, I lost mine during the rebuild.

DMCMW Dave
04-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Um....which one of you has such tiny fingers to poke the screw holes???
:p

I have pointy teeth.

dvonk
04-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Dave must be a Dhampir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhampir). :hihi2:

Dracula
04-17-2012, 12:31 AM
I have pointy teeth.

That's how I open soda cans. Stupid pop tops... I miss pull tabs.