PDA

View Full Version : Transmission 5-Speed Clutch master/slave experiences - which vendor to go with?

jawn101
04-16-2012, 06:56 PM
OK, so after some searching around on the forum I don't see a discussion specific to this question. My master has developed a very very slow leak inside the car. I already have a braided stainless line and the master looks recent, but who knows. The slave is clean and not leaking.

I know the preference is to replace the master and slave at the same time, which I'm cool with. The question is: what are your experiences with the different vendor offerings? I have read some people's posts saying that Houston's leaks after only a year or two - can this be attributed to large number theory (lots of people have Houston's master, therefore more failures are to be expected) or is there really an issue with them?

Hervey's are stainless sleeved and claim to be permanent, lifetime warranty, leak-free installs. The price is basically the same between the two.

I recognize the science behind John's claim that the 304 SS sleeved bores will never pit, but I'd always prefer to send my business to Dave and Julee if possible. I just want to get the best part and only do the job once.

Thoughts?

DMC3165
04-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Out of personal experience I'd recommend PJ Grady. Not sure who he's using for parts but everything he's done for me lately is holding up great! Did a complete braking system rebuild last fall and its working perfectly. He did my clutch hydraulics back in 1999 but I doubt he's still using the same suppliers for that.

nofear365
04-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Out of personal experience I'd recommend PJ Grady. Not sure who he's using for parts but everything he's done for me lately is holding up great! Did a complete braking system rebuild last fall and its working perfectly. He did my clutch hydraulics back in 1999 but I doubt he's still using the same suppliers for that.

+1 on that

Grady did mine about a year ago. Great job!!!

sdg3205
04-17-2012, 02:02 PM
I've had DMCH replacements since 2010 with no leaks.

(knock on wood!)

Kenny_Z
04-17-2012, 02:08 PM
I've had Hervey's since August with no issues.

Morpheus
04-17-2012, 03:30 PM
I have always had good luck with DMCH components.

DMCMW Dave
04-17-2012, 06:02 PM
I have always had good luck with DMCH components.

Me too. :wave2:

jawn101
04-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Me too. :wave2:

Lol, you don't count Dave... as the potential beneficiary of this poll your testimony is not eligible :)

Seriously though, I don't know which way to go. Are the improved Houston parts internally sleeved? What's improved about them over the originals?

jawn101
04-23-2012, 01:24 PM
For those of you who went with Hervey's units - did you have any issues with the angle at which the hard lines connected? Or was the fit pretty original?