PDA

View Full Version : Electric DeLorean at DMC Midwest - Saturday April 28

DMCMW Dave
04-16-2012, 07:38 PM
We apologize for the short notice, but we are pleased to announce that the Electric DeLorean will be visiting our facility for a show/ride day on Saturday April 28 from 10 am- 4 pm. It is arriving here directly from a very popular display at the New York 2012 Auto Show.

There is also a good chance that we’ll have the Supercharged Stage 3 DeLorean here from DMC Texas, but call a few days before to be sure (if that is your main interest). If it doesn’t make it here for that, it will be here later and can be shown by appointment before we take it to Indianapolis on May 12.

EdR5150
04-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Dave, date changed to May 5th?

LEVY
04-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Just curious,

Does this vehicle already passed all the NHTSA safety requirements?

Reason I'm asking is that as far as I know, if you are going to modify a vehicle in a such way that it will affect any of the original safety standards, then you company is required to be a NHTSA approved vehicle modifier, I don't see DMC listed on NHTSA website.

LEVY

QuadcityDMC
04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
I seen the car last sat. it is not that modified from an original DMC. It just has electric power, no different then a engine swap.

Is the open house going to be on the 5th?

DMCMW Dave
04-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Dave, date changed to May 5th?

Yes - that's the case. The weather here is supposed to be horrible tomorrow, and the Stage 3 car is making a late arrival.

DMCMW Dave
04-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Just curious,

Does this vehicle already passed all the NHTSA safety requirements?

LEVY

No - not this particular car. It's a prototype modification to a 1981 car with a 1981 VIN tag. And no license plates.

I'm not sure what the 1981 NHTSA requirements actually cover, but nothing has been modified in the area of bumpers, brakes, glass, or seat belts.

LEVY
04-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Weight distribution may affect vehicle handling. By replacing a gasoline engine by an electric one, I believe it would affect handling. Depending on weight and location of the batteries, that might also affect original vehicle safety standards.

No - not this particular car. It's a prototype modification to a 1981 car with a 1981 VIN tag. And no license plates.

I'm not sure what the 1981 NHTSA requirements actually cover, but nothing has been modified in the area of bumpers, brakes, glass, or seat belts.

DMC5180
04-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Has this car been put on a scale yet? I'm kinda curious how it compares to a stock Delorean with full fuel. 13.2 gal (Approx 80 lbs).

DMCMW Dave
04-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Has this car been put on a scale yet? I'm kinda curious how it compares to a stock Delorean with full fuel. 13.2 gal (Approx 80 lbs).

Interesting thought. If I can find someone around here this week with a truck scale . . . . .

DMC5180
04-28-2012, 01:48 PM
I'll bet there is one setup near by at a Local Ready-mix or Portable Asphalt plant.You have plenty of road construction going on around the corner from you. Or gravel quarry, grain evelavtor,etc.

This place popped up when I checked yellowpages.com for (Truck Scale) Crystal Lake,IL Its 2.8 miles from you just to the southwest just past lake in the hills airport.

M & A Precision Truck & Equipment Repair
9214 Pyott Rd
Lake In The Hills, IL 60156-9710
(847) 854-4370

DMCMW Dave
04-28-2012, 07:38 PM
I'll bet there is one setup near by at a Local Ready-mix or Portable Asphalt plant.You have plenty of road construction going on around the corner from you. Or gravel quarry, grain evelavtor,etc.

About the last place I'm going to drive that thing is into a gravel pit! I'll be running past that truck place Monday and as long as they don't charge an arm and a leg for a quick weigh I'll try and get it done.

DMC5180
04-28-2012, 07:59 PM
They are only suggestions. The trucks have to be weighed constantly and the scale is usually near the entrance. I'd call that truck place first to confirm they have scales. I don't trust the Yellow pages search engine. It was the only place that popped up.