PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C Easy way to install center AC Vents

stevedmc
04-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Anyone who has ever removed their center vents knows that its almost impossible to get a good seal when reinstalling them. Because I am an idiot, I am unable to get the rubber ducts to properly wrap around the center vents.

What I do is slightly different but it ensures a perfect seal with zero leaks. Basically I bend the edge of the duct back to form a seal. Instead of relying on the rubber ducts to wrap around the vents, I rely on the vents to push against the thick seal I created. This makes installation a breeze and it ensures there are zero leaks and maximum air coming out of the vents.

The attached pictures make it pretty dang obvious what I do.

sean
04-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Great tip Steve! I expected more duct tape and Top Roman, but this looks easy peasy.

ccurzio
04-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Good lord, I wish I'd known about this before spending so much time last year getting everything lined up after installing my new radio.

Incidentally, The radio I got is also pretty much identical to the one in the photos above. Except I got the Bluetooth version that doesn't have a USB port.

Nice tip though.

stevedmc
04-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Great tip Steve! I expected more duct tape and Top Roman, but this looks easy peasy.

This mod, coupled with disabling the side vents, and r134a is going to make a really nice summer. I checked my vent temp with a digital thermometer and it got as low as 42.8 degrees.

Btw, anyone can use this tip royalty free other than DMCH. If they use it they owe me a royalty fee of $60,000 per car. If they don't pay I will sue them.

David T
04-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Typically it is done with a very long, thin screwdriver and a little patience. You work the screwdriver aro0und as you fit the vent into the boot. It is not that hard. Your idea is OK but if you fold it over and back onto itself too far it will leak between the boot and the duct. You should not block up the side vents. If you do you restrict the airflow, the center vents are not enough to flow all of the air the blower motor can push. The absolute temperature you achieve coming out of the duct is not very telling. The better measurement is the delta T across the coil. That is the difference between the air entering the evap coil and the air leaving the evap coil. On a good running system it should be at least 20 degrees. Be careful getting too low. A general rule-of thumb is that the actual temp of the coil is 10 degrees lower than the air temp. Using that as an example your coil is just over 32 degrees. Too close to freezing. Under some conditions you could wind up freezing the coil. Especially in very high humidity conditions.
David Teitelbaum

QUOTE=stevedmc;51709]This mod, coupled with disabling the side vents, and r134a is going to make a really nice summer. I checked my vent temp with a digital thermometer and it got as low as 42.8 degrees.

Btw, anyone can use this tip royalty free other than DMCH. If they use it they owe me a royalty fee of $60,000 per car. If they don't pay I will sue them.[/QUOTE]

stevedmc
04-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Your idea is OK but if you fold it over and back onto itself too far it will leak between the boot and the duct. You should not block up the side vents.

Thats strange because I don't have any leaks at all and the cabin temerature is great. I actually have to drive with the fan on the lowest setting (vents pointed away from me) otherwise I need a jacket.

The next thing I bet is that Dave T is going to tell me r134a isn't good enough either.

Typically it is done with a very long, thin screwdriver and a little patience.

Because I am an idiot, I am unable to get the rubber ducts to properly wrap around the center vents.

David is obviously not an idiot and I am. If you follow my advise that makes you even stupider than me.

The better measurement is the delta T across the coil.

The better measurement is what is blowing in my face. The coil is important yes, but it can be zero degrees at the coil and if air isn't getting pushed out of my vents it wont matter what temp the coil is.

You say my ideas don't work but have you tried any of them or are you just critisizing my ideas because they aren't stock? You can say all you want about blocking the side vents but there is a major vendor out there who sells expensive caps with their logo on them just for doing that. My modifications are invisible to the eye and cost nothing except for the styrofoam used to block air going to the side vents.

Spittybug
04-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Good lord man, is your skin really that thin? You are an amusement to us most of the time, but when you go out of your way to be a dick, it's really kind of sad.
David may come across as "authoritative" as I have noticed, but never in a demeaning way. I have definitely learned a thing or two from him. Add in the fact that he is more often than not correct, and it becomes obvious that he is an asset to this community.

Chill. Nobody is out to get you. Eat some mudbugs, have a beer. Move away from the edge....

stevedmc
04-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Good lord man, is your skin really that thin? You are an amusement to us most of the time, but when you go out of your way to be a dick, it's really kind of sad.
David may come across as "authoritative" as I have noticed, but never in a demeaning way. I have definitely learned a thing or two from him. Add in the fact that he is more often than not correct, and it becomes obvious that he is an asset to this community.

Chill. Nobody is out to get you. Eat some mudbugs, have a beer. Move away from the edge....

I didn't got out of my way for anything. I presented a really simple idea that works and somebody doesn't like it. His post was nothing more than a continuation of what was already being said on another thread where some poor guy just asked what it would cost to convert to r134a.

David T
04-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Please do not take my advice as a personal attack on your ideas. I only try to point out other ways. As for what's blowing in your face, you do have to be concerned with the coil freezing over. Especially at low airflows. That is why the heater valve is open and the compressor cycles. It gives the coil a chance to defrost. Besides, I can get a car with a dead A/C to blow 45 degree air if it is 45 degrees outside! In A/C, delta T is everything. Not everything a vender sells is always in your best interest. Realize they are in business to make money. If you want to buy a lowering kit, they will sell you one. Then they will sell you a ground effects kit. Just don't complain when you knock it off on a pothole! Don't let me discourage you from trying things, that is how we all learn. I made my mistakes, I am only trying to help you avoid some of the ones I already know about. That is what this forum is all about.
David Teitelbaum

stevedmc
04-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Please do not take my advice as a personal attack on your ideas. I only try to point out other ways. As for what's blowing in your face, you do have to be concerned with the coil freezing over. Especially at low airflows. That is why the heater valve is open and the compressor cycles. It gives the coil a chance to defrost. Besides, I can get a car with a dead A/C to blow 45 degree air if it is 45 degrees outside! In A/C, delta T is everything. Not everything a vender sells is always in your best interest. Realize they are in business to make money. If you want to buy a lowering kit, they will sell you one. Then they will sell you a ground effects kit. Just don't complain when you knock it off on a pothole! Don't let me discourage you from trying things, that is how we all learn. I made my mistakes, I am only trying to help you avoid some of the ones I already know about. That is what this forum is all about.
David Teitelbaum

Sorry if I sounded heated but its pretty obvious the other way you are talking about is the way everyone already knows about. This easy way of installing vents works for me. If someone would rather spend half an hour fiddling with a long screw driver to do a job that only takes me 30 seconds then so be it.

Can someone please move this debate into some other thread? I wasn't trying to start a debate, I just wanted to share a helpful tip that I figured out the other day.

sean
04-17-2012, 10:34 PM

+1

Can someone please move this debate into some other thread? I wasn't trying to start a debate, I just wanted to share a helpful tip that I figured out the other day.

No, there's really no need for debate, just let it go and quit being so defensive.

jawn101
04-17-2012, 10:38 PM
I had an interesting idea when it came time to put my vents back in. I noticed the rubber was floppier when it was warm - so I chucked the duct rubber in the freezer for 10 minutes while I put back other bits of the console. Then when I installed them, they were nice and stiff and I had no problem sliding the vents right in. YMMV on this method I think, but it seems reasonable to assume it would work for others.

stevedmc
04-17-2012, 11:52 PM
I had an interesting idea when it came time to put my vents back in. I noticed the rubber was floppier when it was warm - so I chucked the duct rubber in the freezer for 10 minutes while I put back other bits of the console. Then when I installed them, they were nice and stiff and I had no problem sliding the vents right in. YMMV on this method I think, but it seems reasonable to assume it would work for others.

Awesome idea. I always wondered if that would work but for some reason I just never tried it. I figured it would take a lot longer than 10 minutes of putting it in the freezer but thats a great idea.

jawn101
04-18-2012, 12:10 AM
I figured it would take a lot longer than 10 minutes of putting it in the freezer but thats a great idea.

10 "DeLorean minutes". Which is to say that's what I think it was, but I probably lost track of time and it could have been an hour. :)

Either way, not a really long time is necessary. Maybe just toss them in when they first come out of the car and don't take them back out until you're ready to reinstall?