PDA

View Full Version : General Delorean Time machine replica builders

gasflaphoodfan95
04-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Can anyone find me a full list of people that build DeLorean time machines like Bobs Prop Shop , CEI etc??

Rich W
04-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Not sure about a complete list, but here is a good start.

According to Bob Gale, in a recent article on BTTF.com,
these three guys are the top three in the field:
Joe Walser, J Ryan and Terry Matalas

As far as builders of their own DeLorean Time Machine
Replicas, check with Oliver Holler and Ken K. (Canada).

BTTF-1
04-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Gary Weaver and Bruce Coulombe are two awesome BTTF builders.

Bruce builds the Hover Mode into some of his conversions and the best Flux Capacitor around.

Ed:rock_on:

Gary Weaver II
04-18-2012, 10:04 AM
For the record, I no longer do conversions or parts aside from what I still have yet to clean out of my garage.

-Gary

stevedmc
04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
What about Video Bob?

Mike C.
04-18-2012, 11:13 AM
What about Video Bob?

See post #1

Can anyone find me a full list of people that build DeLorean time machines like Bobs Prop Shop , CEI etc??

stevedmc
04-18-2012, 11:19 AM
See post #1

I'm an idiot. Sorry.

dvonk
04-18-2012, 11:37 AM
jeez, steve, its like youre a man without a brain.

adam_knox
04-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Steve, you almost got away with it as I thought you were making a movie reference, "What About Bob?" :confused2:
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQht4YKfJm-hf_atc62MYypwXvk7pgICpT4ntaeB-G-keej8EUW3g

jeez, steve, its like youre a man without a brain.
So you could say he was a man who knew too little? :yesss:
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkke9ylHL5HkwpOG98YaehbLDEUbuk2 w6B7VPyGKZpyLVruDQ-

stevedmc
04-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I can turn your car into a time machine using just duct tape and FedEx boxes.

gasflaphoodfan95
04-18-2012, 05:37 PM
exactly How do you do that.

I want mine screen accurate

stevedmc
04-18-2012, 05:48 PM
exactly How do you do that.

I want mine screen accurate

Its really not that much different than customizing any other car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tsB_fKx88E

Dracula
04-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Its really not that much different than customizing any other car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tsB_fKx88E

That video is a good comparison; the end result is only slightly more practical than a BTTF DeLorean and both are similar; over-burdened with gaudy junk, a reduction of the value of the car, no practical reason, and a perfect source for jokes. The only differences are that the car in the video still has a usable trunk, easier engine access, and doesn't destroy a rare car.

congerz83
04-18-2012, 07:18 PM
I can turn your car into a time machine using just duct tape and FedEx boxes.

http://imustimes.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/cardinal-egan.jpg?w=500
Those FedEx boxes always come in handy...

...and before anyone suggests... this is NOT a reference to the KKK, or anyhting racially inappropriate...

Dracula
04-18-2012, 08:24 PM
http://imustimes.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/cardinal-egan.jpg?w=500

...and before anyone suggests... this is NOT a reference to the KKK, or anyhting racially inappropriate...

In the event that it were; it'd be a horrible job and my assessment would be that it's fitting that he's wearing a dunce cap.

dvonk
04-18-2012, 09:37 PM

haha, reminds me of the "FedEx Pope" on Conan O'Brien.

congerz83
04-20-2012, 10:08 PM
haha, reminds me of the "FedEx Pope" on Conan O'Brien.

That's Bernard McGuirk from Imus in the Morning doing his "Cardinal Egan" routine...

Either Conan O'Brien is ripping Bernie off, or FedEx boxes/envelopes inspire religious humor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ8HKB_9U30&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's worth sitting through for the big finish. To this day, I'm still amazed he got away with saying that.

gasflaphoodfan95
05-02-2012, 10:30 PM
ok I have narrowed it down to Bruce coulombe and Videobob. But here is the question who makes a better time machine??? the three things I am looking for are the ability to drive accuracy to the movie, functional props and sounds at a relatively good price.

Dangermouse
05-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Well, you know the old saying- you can have two out of those three - just pick the two you want ;)

sphiend
05-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Well, you know the old saying- you can have two out of those three - just pick the two you want ;)

The saying I have heard (used often at work) is "good, fast, cheap -- pick two"

Based on the little I have seen from the builders, it looks like you best have a thick skin to join the community.

Dangermouse
05-03-2012, 11:14 PM
I was paraphrasing ;)

videobob
05-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I am happy to talk to you about building you a Time Machine and making it any way you want.
Consider that I have built 9 of them so far and building 10 & 11 now.
I also do complete Delorean restorations from top to bottom for much less than any other advertised shop.
I can build it functional and/or screen accurate.
We can build the cars in much less time than anyone else in capable because we pre-build the parts and get them ready all year long.
We have assembled cars in as little as 2 weeks this way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWJ0MRnUeVg

Not only that, but we have parts that no one else has, so honestly it is impossible for another builder to build you a "screen accurate" car
simply because they don't have the real parts.

I have endorsement letters from Bob Gale, Kevin Pike, James Tolken, Claudia Wells and many of my clients who will all tell you that
you will be happy with what I deliver.
It's all about your budget.
I have built some non-screen accurate cars because that's what the client wanted.
Not everyone wants a gray 5-speed, some people want a black automatic.
It's your money, spend it on what YOU want!!!

I can now also offer the original Plutonium Chamber version if you choose, or both, with the Mr. Fusion to be added on top.
I can install real neon tubes or LED lighting, a fog system, external sound system with sound effects, anything you desire.
I have built cars ranging from $40,000 all the way to $75,000.
It all depends on if you want the car to be perfect as a daily driver or just a display.

I have a 5000' sqft shop in Dallas fully equipped and designed for Deloreans and Time Machines.
You are welcomed to come to the shop and check it out for yourself.

My Facebook has detailed photos of all of the cars we have built, check it out!!
https://www.facebook.com/bobspropshop/photos
Thank you for your consideration.
- Bob

Jimmycxc
05-07-2012, 08:19 AM
As the owner of Time Machine #9, I will vouch for VideoBob. I shipped my car down to him, and had it back in about a month. (I didn't need any mechanical work to my D and had some of the electronics already). I was able to watch the build the entire time via his webcam. I did not get 100% screen accurate with mine, but honestly, unless you want to nit pick, no one knows any different. It looks absolutely amazing and am very happy with how it turned out.

Pictures can be seen at http://www.RentTheTimeMachine.com

videobob
05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Wow! Thanks for the nice endorsement Jimmy!
Your car was fun because we added in that rear video camera system which worked pretty good.

Also, for those out there reading I wanted to explain what you meant by "non screen accurate".
What a lot of people out there don't know is that they removed the rear window completely and simply put the rear aluminum bulkhead there
and the inside of the car is wide open with the fuse box exposed.
This allowed the extra room for all those hoses and boxes that mount back there.
This is OK for a display car that is kept indoors, but if you want a daily driver we do a simple window cover out of aluminum and we decorate
as best as we can. This keeps the car "water resistant" as it normally would be as stock.

One of the most commonly asked questions to me is, "can you really drive it like this?"
The answer is "YES".
Jimmy, I am sure you can vouch for the fact that the car is pretty much the same with the exception of two things,
you no longer have the rear shelf storage area and you have no rear window.
Other than that, everything is pretty much the same as far as the car is concerned.
You do have to reach up under the Time Circuits to get to the temp controls and factory radio, etc., but it's not hard to do.
The A/C blows out from under it and also through the door vents.
You could also add more vents to the knee pads or under, if you wanted.

The difference between the screen accurate and non-screen accurate is something that most people would never notice, even when looking at photos
and comparing the car. Just ask Paul Nigh or Oliver Holler, neither of their cars are screen accurate in any way but all the stuff on the car looks so cool
that people are just dazzles by the lights and props and never even notice.
You can't let the opinions of a handful of obsessive compulsive geeks sway your decisions.

I will admit that if Joe Walser and his team took on a project to build you a Time Machine it would in fact be better than mine.
However, they could never do it on my budget or time line.
Those guys all have regular Hollywood jobs and do it on the side.
They spend YEARS on their cars and they come out perfect, but I would imagine the fee would be over $100K minimum (and worth it).
Honestly I could build the same car they do if you were willing to pay the extra money for all the "real" parts and gave me the time to do it.
Most of my customers (like Jimmy) come to me and say, "I only have this small budget and I need it back before this time" and I manage to pull it off.

If you look at my #6 car, the "Auction Kings" car, that car should have fetched over $100K at a proper real auction.
I got totally screwed by that rinky dink place.
They had only 2 phone lines, did ZERO promotion and most of the audience is just people trying to be on TV.
The two bidders that were there were 2 of 4 that I brought to the show!
There were 2 others that couldn't get on the phone.
I turned down a $75,000 offer before we did the show.
Anyway, that car was a very screen accurate car with all the bells and whistles and we spent about 6 weeks on it solid.
My team of up to 8 people were working daily on it, full time.
That's what it takes.
My first car, built on the weekends took me almost 4 years!!!!

Right now we are preparing for two Time Machine builds.
One is for a customer and the other will be for ME.
I want to have one to keep for myself.
So if you want to get a car done, let me know and I can start building your parts!!!
- VB

gasflaphoodfan95
05-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Wow I would love to come by and see your shop and the Time Machines in the making. I always had a particular Interest in the delorean time machine over the stock delorean.

however my Dad has a stock 83 delorean that I helped him restore. overall I do prefer the Time machine.

videobob
05-11-2012, 02:47 PM
anytime!
Anyone is welcome to come check it out if your in the Dallas area!

Dracula
05-11-2012, 02:54 PM
This is the reason that many good DeLoreans are being destroyed.

BTTF-1
05-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Drac
Liberated is the term I would use.

ED:smashfreak::smashfreak::histerical1:

Dracula
05-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Drac
Violated is the term I would use.

ED:smashfreak::smashfreak::histerical1:

Fixed that for you.

BTTF-1
05-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Liberated, Violated and then Emancipated.

Either way she is a legend to behold.

Ed:lockdance::lockdance:

Dracula
05-11-2012, 04:19 PM
This thread isn't locked yet and I still maintain that it destroys a car in several aspects; the most universally-acceptable being that it permanently relegates the car to the status of a novelty item that will be lucky to see but the occasional weekend's use. The drivability, performance; which was already lacking, and the practicality become reduced to nearly nothing. They are not driven on a regular basis and it defies all sense of logic to over-burden a sleek car with gaudy items that decrease efficiency and serve no purpose whatsoever.

DL4567
05-12-2012, 03:20 AM
Here we go! Time for Chad to come in and start shitting on the latest time machine thread. We get it dude. You don't like them. That's fine. But you don't have to shit on every BTTF thread on the forum. Some people actually like it. Let them do so without constant reminders of people like you.

Dracula
05-12-2012, 10:57 AM
My bigger problem isn't the conversions, but the half-assed way that so many of them are done. If you're making a replica, then it only makes sense to use an accurate base. The more corners you cut, something that some of these builders are proud to admit they do, the more you get a car that has random garbage screwed onto it. It's no different than taking a 1963 Corvette and cutting out the rear window pillar to attach a dog house. It serves no purpose, breaks up the lines of the car, and destroys a piece of history. If I were speaking out against that, or criticizing the ridiculous addition of spoilers and home-made air intakes, then it'd be different, but, God forbid I criticize your beloved bastardization of a DeLorean. This is still an enthusiast site for the DeLorean car, not BTTF. There are other sites for that. I dislike anything that ruins the cars, and that includes half-assed BTTF replicas where the owner is too lazy to get the correct base car. I get that DeLorean ownership has a lot of new owners that like the car for the movie and that they want to re-create something from their childhood, but there's also the instances where they get bored with their abomination and it winds up being some cheesy display prop at a two-bit attraction; if it's lucky. I don't criticize every thread about BTTF; only the ones that advocate destroying the cars.

John U
05-12-2012, 04:11 PM
If it wasn't for BTTF, no one would have a clue what this car is....

Dracula
05-12-2012, 04:17 PM

This is one of the most flagrantly false statements that is touted out at every opportunity. There are still original owners of these cars, people who remember the PR from the 1980s, people who care for the car their father/uncle/friend bought new. While I can't argue that the movies don't play a major role in shaping the current ownership of the cars, it is false to assume that it is the only reason that the car is known. There are plenty of other cars that are similar and still appreciated in their owner groups without a movie to promote them; Excalibur, Zimmer, Stutz, Bricklin, Jensen Interceptor, Bradley, Studebaker Avanti, etc. Then the car would be owned by a group of individuals whose passion is for the car, not a 30-year-old movie. This is also why so many owners who are fans due to BTTF sell their cars off after a year or two.

John U
05-12-2012, 04:20 PM
This is one of the most flagrantly false statements that is touted out at every opportunity. There are still original owners of these cars, people who remember the PR from the 1980s, people who care for the car their father/uncle/friend bought new. While I can't argue that the movies don't play a major role in shaping the current ownership of the cars, it is false to assume that it is the only reason that the car is known. There are plenty of other cars that are similar and still appreciated in their owner groups without a movie to promote them; Excalibur, Zimmer, Stutz, Bricklin, Jensen Interceptor, Bradley, Studebaker Avanti, etc. Then the car would be owned by a group of individuals whose passion is for the car, not a 30-year-old movie. This is also why so many owners who are fans due to BTTF sell their cars off after a year or two.

I am talking about 99.9% of the general population....not car guys, and not owner groups. Almost everyone who sees my car at a show or on the street calls it the BTTF car....they would not have a clue what it was if it wasn't for the great advertising of those three movies....and that is definitely a fact.

Dracula
05-12-2012, 04:51 PM
It's also a great source of annoyance, ignorance, and stupidity.

John U
05-12-2012, 04:53 PM
It's also a great source of annoyance, ignorance, and stupidity.

That may be true, but it is also what will push the value of these cars up in the next 20 years. It certainly will not be their performance!

Dracula
05-12-2012, 04:54 PM
That may be true, but it is also what will push the value of these cars up in the next 20 years. It certainly will not be their performance!

That's speculative. I believe it will have little to no bearing on the value of the cars.

John U
05-12-2012, 04:56 PM
That's speculative. I believe it will have little to no bearing on the value of the cars.

Only time will tell. Popularity in movies or shows can really bring the value of a car up, espcially an otherwise obscure model....I have no proof of this of course, just my opinion

Dracula
05-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Only time will tell. Popularity in movies or shows can really bring the value of a car up, espcially an otherwise obscure model....I have no proof of this of course, just my opinion

I'll agree with you there, but with a caveat. It doesn't help if the car is a piece of junk to begin with.

tjd
05-13-2012, 10:54 AM

That is completely false.

I am talking about 99.9% of the general population....not car guys, and not owner groups. Almost everyone who sees my car at a show or on the street calls it the BTTF car....they would not have a clue what it was if it wasn't for the great advertising of those three movies....and that is definitely a fact.

Because it is recognized by "non-car guys" to a large percent of the population as being the "Back To The Future" car I would not argue as being a positive attribute to the car. Nor does it make your argument that "if it wasn't for BTTF, no one would have a clue what this car is..." Frankly as a DeLorean owner who is an enthusiast of the car and not a fan boy of the movie you are describing an alternate utopia where I don't have to hear constant BTTF jokes when I take my car out of the garage, or have people make an assumption that I am a fan boy of those movies because I own and have an interest in the DeLorean car. How fantastic would it be to have someone clueless of BTTF come up and say "Wow what an unusual car! What kind of car is that?" I'd much rather field an occasional question like that then have the recognition from a large percentage of the people that recognize the car from BTTF.

This is still an enthusiast site for the DeLorean car, not BTTF.

I'm with you Chad, the problem is this thing is getting so mixed. You and I who are "car guys" are getting left behind by the large amount of BTTF fan boys who have went and bought one of these cars to express their fandom of BTTF. Things like the DeLorean Car Show is catered to a large part to the "BTTF Fan" owner base (it's almost like a BTTF convention instead of a DeLorean Car Show). As a DeLorean enthusiast there is not enough offered or planned that is mostly DeLorean related to motivate me to make a trip so far away and not to mention spend so much money on it. The cost of admission is outrageous, and I wonder how much of that is to pay appearance fees to the BTTF related talent who I have no interest in? Then you have DMCH the highest profile DeLorean vendor using "Flux Batteries" in their Electric Conversions and Stephen Wynne says he picked the battery manufacturer because it says "Flux". WTF? How about finding the best battery that's best suited to the application for the lowest cost? Then how about the plate on the same car "Gas where were going we don't need gas" It's too much! It's just BTTF overload everywhere you look both inside and outside the DeLorean Community.

I agree there are BTTF sites and I would like to see less BTTF content on DMCTalk. At the very least find a place for it maybe a sub forum or something? I'd imagine the BTTF sites don't have too many general DeLorean topics on their forums.

John U
05-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Wow, I don't understand all the hating on the one thing that actually made the car popular....

Dracula
05-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Wow, I don't understand all the hating on the one thing that actually made the car popular....

It's comments like this that anger people like me. BTTF is NOT the only reason these cars are popular. It has defined current owner demographics, but the cars were popular back in the '80s and a support and enthusiast group had formed prior to BTTF. They were loved and appreciated before the movie came along and that's an important part of their history that you're casually overlooking.

John U
05-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Can't we all love the car for our own reasons?

Dracula
05-13-2012, 04:40 PM
The problem with that is those that love the car for what it is hate to see it turned into a novelty item and the butt of bad jokes and, let's be honest, that's all a BTTF replica is. If you love and care about something, then you hate to see one senselessly abused. If I were to attach things with screws and glue to, say, puppies, it'd seem horrible because people love puppies. Though, when you say you love a car in the same way and hate to see similar abuse, it's somehow different? I don't get how that double standard works, but I have puppies to go modify into time machines, so I'll worry about that later.

John U
05-13-2012, 04:42 PM
The problem with that is those that love the car for what it is hate to see it turned into a novelty item and the butt of bad jokes and, let's be honest, that's all a BTTF replica is. If you love and care about something, then you hate to see one senselessly abused. If I were to attach things with screws and glue to, say, puppies, it'd seem horrible because people love puppies. Though, when you say you love a car in the same way and hate to see similar abuse, it's somehow different? I don't get how that double standard works, but I have puppies to go modify into time machines, so I'll worry about that later.

One man's novelty item is another's treasure.
Have you performed any mods to those cars you list in your signature?

Personally I would not BTTF mod my car....it's too pristine...but if I had one that wasn't as nice, and had an extra $25grand to burn, I would probably consider it.

Dracula
05-13-2012, 04:55 PM
One man's novelty item is another's treasure.
Have you performed any mods to those cars you list in your signature?

Personally I would not BTTF mod my car....it's too pristine...but if I had one that wasn't as nice, and had an extra $25grand to burn, I would probably consider it.

Yes, I have modified some of my cars in the following manner:

1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible - Electronic Ignition System.
1973 Chevrolet El Camino SS - 4-Bbl carb, Electronic Ignition, replacement stereo (all already done prior to my ownership).
1974 Dodge Monaco Custom - Powered by 1977 New Yorker 440, pending black-and-white paint scheme.
1975 Bricklin SV-1 #2645 - Air doors with back-up compressor.
1981 DeLorean DMC-12 #1601 5-Speed - Gray interior conversion, new stereo, upgraded headlights, drop-in window switch upgrade, Stage II package, suspension upgrades.

The most noticeable change on that list is a coat of paint, which can easily be undone without any adverse effects to the car. The rest were made in the interest of keeping the cars drivable, reliable, and usable. My goal is to have every one of my cars ready to drive cross-country without the slightest hesitation or spare tools before I go to sell them.

tiger38117
05-13-2012, 05:21 PM
I try to stay out of message board pissing contests, but I'm chiming in on this one to offer one basic thought: Those of you who think the DeLorean is only cool or popular because of BTTF can kiss my entire ass.

I loved this car in 1981 when I first saw one on a dealership lot. When BTTF came out, my impression was that the car made the movie popular, not the other way around. And to understand my mindset, all you have to do is watch the movie itself...when Doc is explaining everything in the mall parking lot that first night, what does Marty say? "Are you tellin me you built a time machine...out of a DeLorean?" No "out of a car", "out of a DeLorean". And the reason that's the line is because any teenage boy in the 80's like Marty knew what a DeLorean was. And people of that generation were always going to know what a DeLorean was...the doors, the stainless, the overall look, the legend and fall of DeLorean the man...it was all too unique to be forgotten.

Now...has the BTTF connection made the car more recognizable to a younger generation? To the extent that that generation has seen the movie, yes...but ask a lot of college-age kids today if they've seen BTTF, and you'll get a lot of "what's that?" Has it made the car more valuable? I don't think so, at least not beyond the fact that every replica built thins the heard of available unmolested cars. Is it source of supreme frustration for owners like me who roll their eyes at the 35 Flux Capacitor comments a night at the cruise-in? YUP!

People can do what they want with their cars, and I'll never chastize anyone for building or owning a replica. But anyone who thinks these cars couldn't stand on their own legacy-wise doesn't have the first clue about history. I also suspect most if not all the people making that assertion are too young to remember the cars new (or weren't even alive).

BTTF was a great movie....you know, a fantasy played out by actors on film. The DeLorean car is a great reality.

videobob
05-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Please consider that out of the 9200+ Deloreans believed to have been built, let's say less than 50 of them have been converted to "Time Machines" in the last 30 years and maybe another 100 or so turned into something else...mostly out of salvaged cars.
That is less than one half of one percent, not enough to make the slightest dent into the overall population.
I think the major sore spot is that this tiny miniscule population of these cars over shadows and dominates the Delorean's legacy
and some people have issue with that.
I am a Delorean fan and have owned many of the cars over the last 10 years.
Although I am modifying these cars I am also completely restoring them and getting them on the road again
and also providing needed spare parts to those who need them (louvers, center console elbow pads, etc.)
Most of the cars I use are barn find basket cases in the first place.
It is my belief that there will be plenty of Delorean's to survive in history and the few that are converted won't hurt the overall population much.
Plus, it would not be impossible to convert them back to stock, it could be done.
Thanks for the comments.
- Bob

John U
05-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Some very strong opinions from both sides...I'm quite surprised...I've never really stumbled into one of these debates before

Dracula
05-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Please consider that out of the 9200+ Deloreans believed to have been built, let's say less than 50 of them have been converted to "Time Machines" in the last 30 years and maybe another 100 or so turned into something else...mostly out of salvaged cars.
That is less than one half of one percent, not enough to make the slightest dent into the overall population.
I think the major sore spot is that this tiny miniscule population of these cars over shadows and dominates the Delorean's legacy
and some people have issue with that.
I am a Delorean fan and have owned many of the cars over the last 10 years.
Although I am modifying these cars I am also completely restoring them and getting them on the road again
and also providing needed spare parts to those who need them (louvers, center console elbow pads, etc.)
Most of the cars I use are barn find basket cases in the first place.
It is my belief that there will be plenty of Delorean's to survive in history and the few that are converted won't hurt the overall population much.
Plus, it would not be impossible to convert them back to stock, it could be done.
Thanks for the comments.
- Bob

It's still senseless destruction of cars coupled with inaccuracy and corner-cutting.

SIMid
05-13-2012, 09:36 PM

If I were to attach things with screws and glue to, say, puppies, it'd seem horrible because people love puppies. Though, when you say you love a car in the same way and hate to see similar abuse, it's somehow different? I don't get how that double standard works, but I have puppies to go modify into time machines, so I'll worry about that later.

I couldn't resist.

Jimmycxc
05-14-2012, 08:01 AM
It's still senseless destruction of cars coupled with inaccuracy and corner-cutting.

I use my BTTF DeLorean for charity events to raise money for people in need. I certainly would not call that senseless. How about all the money that Oliver Holler has made for Team Fox...is that senseless too?

I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion so feel free to speak your mind, but not everyone has to agree with you.

congerz83
05-14-2012, 08:27 AM
I use my BTTF DeLorean for charity events to raise money for people in need. I certainly would not call that senseless. How about all the money that Oliver Holler has made for Team Fox...is that senseless too?

I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion so feel free to speak your mind, but not everyone has to agree with you.

Correct! People can do whatever they want with their cars. That fact seems to be blatantly ignored. I think painted cars look like @#$%, but I'm not saying it's "sensless destruction" to paint it, if that's what you like. Give me a break!

Dracula
05-14-2012, 12:38 PM

Your car is an inaccurate replica based on build date alone; that's an example of corner-cutting to begin with there. It may be doing some good in its current desecrated state, but there are still other ways to do good and raise money. For example, donating the cost of the conversion would have been a big help, too. I'd compare that to the pet rock craze; people bought them and they made money, but it was a rock with plastic eyes glued to it. It was senseless, but it made money. The time machines are the same way; just because they can be used for a few good things, doesn't mean it wasn't a senseless conversion. The fact of the matter is that you took an already under-powered car and simultaneously increased its weight and decreased its aerodynamics by attaching garbage to it, made it harder to drive, as well as removing the already limited storage area so that, in effect, the car had no positive gain. That is the very definition of senseless; the fact that you're intentionally decreasing a car's ability to function for no positive gain.

Ryan
05-14-2012, 01:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4VbOHvaPRc

T_Stanley
05-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Your car is an inaccurate replica based on build date alone; that's an example of corner-cutting to begin with there. It may be doing some good in its current desecrated state, but there are still other ways to do good and raise money. For example, donating the cost of the conversion would have been a big help, too. I'd compare that to the pet rock craze; people bought them and they made money, but it was a rock with plastic eyes glued to it. It was senseless, but it made money. The time machines are the same way; just because they can be used for a few good things, doesn't mean it wasn't a senseless conversion. The fact of the matter is that you took an already under-powered car and simultaneously increased its weight and decreased its aerodynamics by attaching garbage to it, made it harder to drive, as well as removing the already limited storage area so that, in effect, the car had no positive gain. That is the very definition of senseless; the fact that you're intentionally decreasing a car's ability to function for no positive gain.

I dont usually get involved with this subject, but are you kidding me?? You're insulting the car and its owner because of a freakin build date?? Why should it even matter? A DeLorean is a DeLorean. Its the one and only car ever produced by DMC so WHY THE HELL DOES IT MATTER??? I'm sick and tired of you insulting people. Like someone said before, we get it, you dont like bttf DeLoreans. Why cant you just let other people enjoy them? After all if you dont have anything nice to say.......

David T
05-14-2012, 02:26 PM
If you are so upset about a few people spending a lot of money on making their car look like a BTTF car why are you not upset about a LOT more owners allowing their car to rot slowly to death? At least these people are fixing up a car and making sure it is seen and promoting the car. Maybe you just want to be argumentative? How about Curtiss's RED CAR? Or the Delorean Tow Truck or the Delorean SUV or the two-engined car? People are going to do as they wish with their cars, get over it.
David Teitelbaum

Dracula
05-14-2012, 02:44 PM
I dont usually get involved with this subject, but are you kidding me?? You're insulting the car and its owner because of a freakin build date?? Why should it even matter? A DeLorean is a DeLorean. Its the one and only car ever produced by DMC so WHY THE HELL DOES IT MATTER??? I'm sick and tired of you insulting people. Like someone said before, we get it, you dont like bttf DeLoreans. Why cant you just let other people enjoy them? After all if you dont have anything nice to say.......

It's the principle. If they cut corners in one aspect of the build, it shows a lack of passion. The hood is wrong, the door pull strap style is wrong, and so forth. These are the first steps that should be addressed if you care about accuracy. By omitting these things, it automatically shows that corners are being cut.

I'm entitled to my opinion and since there are several people on these boards that advocate the hacking up of DeLoreans for BTTF wanna-be cars, I offer a counter-point. It's no different than those who dissuade others from doing engine swaps because they hack up the DeLorean as well. So it's OK to ruin a car by screwing things into it but not OK to destroy its originality by cutting it up to wedge a different motor in? Sounds like a hypocritical double-standard to me.

It's also like you said, the DeLorean IS the ONLY CAR DMC EVER PRODUCED so it's a piece of history. Any history enthusiast hates to see history destroyed, and that's exactly what BTTF replicas do to DeLoreans. I'm a fan of the DeLorean car and a lover of automotive history. The DeLorean is a historical car and seeing them destroyed for a fading gimmick is insulting. It's even worse when people don't put forth the effort to be accurate. In any other car community, this is not normal behavior. Car enthusiasts in other hobbies seek out to preserve their vehicles and prevent them from being destroyed, but this newer group of BTTF-based owners often advocate the destruction of the cars. As much as some of you hate to think about it, BTTF isn't immortal. There are more and more children growing up without seeing the movie and the relevance fades every day. Eventually, there will be a point where the movie is remembered only by a small group and it becomes a cult film. Then the history and aesthetics of the DeLorean automobile will be the primary reason for interest in the car.

If you are so upset about a few people spending a lot of money on making their car look like a BTTF car why are you not upset about a LOT more owners allowing their car to rot slowly to death? At least these people are fixing up a car and making sure it is seen and promoting the car. Maybe you just want to be argumentative? How about Curtiss's RED CAR? Or the Delorean Tow Truck or the Delorean SUV or the two-engined car? People are going to do as they wish with their cars, get over it.
David Teitelbaum

This does bother me, but to a lesser extent. If the car has to be fixed up to be destroyed as a BTTF prop, then it could have been driven and appreciated. Then there's also what you call "promoting" the car. I call it promoting a joke and a tired cliche. Sure, there will always be a BTTF connection to the DeLorean, but that's not what made the car or endeared it to the original owners. Between DMCH promoting the jokes in their EV ads, the constant comments of BTTF jokes any time a DeLorean is mentioned in print, or the idiot passers-by, it takes away from the history of the car. The problem with BTTF cars, as opposed to those other ones, is that BTTF replicas encourage the destruction of a perfectly good DeLorean to create a less-functional car. How often do you hear of a wrecked DeLorean being rebuilt into a BTTF car as opposed to a perfectly good car being ruined in such a manner? It's also interesting that the community doesn't oppose speaking ill of Curtis's car, but you get blasted if you don't like a BTTF one. The two-engined DeLorean is also a disaster in terms of functionality and usability. Hopefully some day its restored. A car that is languishing can, eventually, be restored and there are many documented cases of it with DeLoreans; not to mention other cars. These vehicles still have hope. When have you ever heard of a BTTF DeLorean being restored to its glory? I'd love to have an example of one being undone and restored, but I have yet to see such a thing happen in my time researching these cars. That, to me, is the ultimate death sentence for one of these cars.

stevedmc
05-14-2012, 02:54 PM

Disclaimer: The comments posted below come from Steve's serious side.

It was back in the late 90's when Michael J Fox announced his battle with Parkinson’s disease. At the same time, he announced that he would create the Michael J Fox Foundation in an effort to raise funds to be used towards research and hopefully a cure. It was in the late 90's that he said, "I honestly believe that in the next ten years we can beat this thing".

When Michael made the statement about beating it in the next ten years, my heart just went out to the poor guy. Back then I didn't believe a cure would be found, and still today I don't believe a cure will be found (at least in my lifetime). The organization does have a noble purpose to it, and I believe in helping people with all of my heart. What hurts me is a false sense of hope being put into people’s minds. All the money in the world can't just magically make a cure happen.

My response might seem cold, but it is coming from personal experience. In my family, there is a disease far worse than Parkinson’s. The disease in my family is called Huntington's. With Parkinson’s disease the affected person loses motor skills but is still able to talk and carry out conversations. The disease that runs in my family, Huntington’s, affects motor skills and speech. Imagine not being able to communicate with those that you love. The disease usually starts when you are in your 30's and it progressively gets worse until you are ultimately a baby lying in bed with no control over your speech or body. Usually the person lives to be not much older than 50.

Scientists have determined the cause of Huntington’s disease. Basically if a parent has it, the child has a 50/50 chance of having the same disease. Huntington’s disease does not skip generations. It is strictly based on the genetic code of the fourth set of chromosomes. If one chromosome has an abnormal amount of the Huntington’s sequence, the person will develop the symptoms in his or her lifetime.
With all of the science behind knowing what causes Huntington’s disease, there is no cure other than some drugs to help with the pain. The only comfort for a person with Huntington’s disease is the time they spend sleeping.

With all the science and research that has been applied to my family disease, there is still no cure. There is still no certainty to what causes Parkinson’s, yet people are given a false sense of hope that there will someday be a cure for it.
About 5 years ago I saw a cousin of mine slowly die from Huntington’s disease and it broke my heart to listen to his false hope of their someday being a cure.

End of rate, now Steve can be silly again. Lets talk about silly back to the future cars again.

David T
05-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Have you ever seen the cars at Universal? They were a mess! They were neglected and left to rot outdoors. If you are that concerned about history donate your car to a museum. I am sure you can find something on ANY car to nit-pick. Even the movie cars were put-together props done on a budget and schedule. And they sacrificed several too. As for originality, just about every Delorean has had *something* done to it and can no longer be considered "original". The Concours cars are about the most accurate there are but even those have some minor things, no one gets 100 points.
David Teitelbaum

Ryan
05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
With all the science and research that has been applied to my family disease, there is still no cure. There is still no certainty to what causes Parrington’s, yet people are given a false sense of hope that there will someday be a cure for it.

With all due respect, we wouldn't have cured any diseases if we had that attitude. Stem cell research has made a lot of progress, and we have a better idea of what causes Parkinson's than if we had just given up hope.

Wow, this thread got derailed.

stevedmc
05-14-2012, 03:32 PM
With all due respect, we wouldn't have cured any diseases if we had that attitude. Stem cell research has made a lot of progress, and we have a better idea of what causes Parkinson's than if we had just given up hope.

Wow, this thread got derailed.

Spell check causes some weird mistakes these days. Btw, I meant no disrespect to anyone. I'm simply saying that Huntington's is far worse, there is more science, yet there is no cure. The only progress that has been made is medicines to ease the suffering.

Rumor has it than my biological mom had the disease and if so, then fortunately she died in a car accident before she had to suffer that stuff. I've been tested and the results came back good for me. I have better chances of winning the lottery than getting Huntington's disease. My point is, there is no test for Parkinson's, shoot, doctors don't even know how or why it develops, yet people have hope for a cure.

I've seen people dying of Huntington's, and have two adult cousins that have chosen not to be tested. Their dad had the disease and each of them have an equal 50/50 shot of having it. My heart goes out to them and I can only hope for the best for them since they have chosen to have children.

dvonk
05-14-2012, 07:48 PM
I [...] have two adult cousins that have chosen not to be tested. Their dad had the disease and each of them have an equal 50/50 shot of having it. My heart goes out to them and I can only hope for the best for them since they have chosen to have children.

im sorry to hear of this familial hereditary disease, Steve. simply terrible.

i am also sorry if this offends anyone, but this seems terribly selfish to me; conceiving a child that has a 25% chance of a horrific terminal disease is incredibly irresponsible. why someone would willingly risk another's life by passing on such a debilitating illness boggles my mind. think of all the orphaned children who need homes and loving families... :disapprove:

uhhair
05-14-2012, 09:42 PM
This does bother me, but to a lesser extent. If the car has to be fixed up to be destroyed as a BTTF prop, then it could have been driven and appreciated.

Uh, what? So because you love the Delorean enough to pay tens of thousands of dollars to enhance the car into a movie prop recognized by generations of fans of the movie, then somehow it's been destroyed, and is no longer being driven and appreciated as a Delorean?

The simple fact that you think it's a worse crime to enhance a Delorean into a time machine rather than let one rot in a barn for 30 years until all that it's good for i to be stripped down and sold for parts, just shows how ridiculous you are.

I GUARANTEE you, anyone who puts the time, money, and effort to acquire a time machine Delorean, appreciates the car way more than most owners.

sean
05-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Alright, this thread wasn't fun and it's run the course.
:lockdance: