PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Outer door seals - What do I use to glue them in place

uhhair
04-18-2012, 01:14 PM
So I received new outer door seals from DMCH and realized that they are not self-adhesive. Any idea what I should use for these things?

Delorean Industries
04-18-2012, 01:24 PM
So I received new outer door seals from DMCH and realized that they are not self-adhesive. Any idea what I should use for these things?

Window weld urethane is your best bet. It is a 3m product and bonds well with the stainless edges. Or return and buy a self adhesive set.

jmettee
04-18-2012, 04:39 PM
I used 3M weatherstripping adhesive & it worked will. Tubes are at Advanced Auto....go get some. Don't think you need the window weld for weather strip. I've used both of the above (window weld for fascia eyebrow bars).....I think weatherstrip adhesive is easier to work with for this.

Warning: you need rubber gloves!

Delorean Industries
04-18-2012, 05:57 PM
I use the window weld because it is not runny like the trim adhesive. Quick set time and the seals stay on better. Duct tape is to rednecks as window weld is to Deloreans. Universal fix all.

Stainless
04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
The search tool does wonders:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?806-Replacing-outer-door-seal

mluder
04-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Not to hijak the thread but I have a question about interior trim. Specifically the black plastic around the inside of the binnacle. Mine's sagging and I want to reglue it with something that will hold it but I also want to be able to remove should the need arise. That is until the new binnacles come out. (crosses fingers)

What's the preferred adhesive here?

Cheers,
Steve

DCUK Martin
04-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Use Loctite 406 for that.

mluder
04-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Use Loctite 406 for that.

I'm sorry, for the binnacle trim? Is it easily removable if I should need to take it apart down the road?

Cheers.
Steve

jawn101
04-19-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm sorry, for the binnacle trim? Is it easily removable if I should need to take it apart down the road?

Cheers.
Steve

Probably not. Loctite 406 is a cyanoacrylate - basically, super glue. It won't come apart without damaging both surfaces. But why would you need to remove that plastic trim?

mluder
04-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Probably not. Loctite 406 is a cyanoacrylate - basically, super glue. It won't come apart without damaging both surfaces. But why would you need to remove that plastic trim?

Does that black plastic piece retain the instrument cluster? or is it just a decorative molding?

Steve

jawn101
04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Does that black plastic piece retain the instrument cluster? or is it just a decorative molding?

Steve

This has gotten very off OP's topic, but the cluster is held in from behind...

Rich W
04-19-2012, 05:34 PM
There are various types of 3M Trim Adhesive that I have used for both the outer door seals and the body panel rub strips.

I just used several tubes on the DeLorean Limo last week and the one I used worked great. I will try to get the number
this weekend, but it is a 3M product, available at NAPA, its in a green box and the #2 was highlighted on a scale of 1-4.

If I remember, I will try to get a photo of the box and the tube as well.

Later,
Rich W.

David T
04-19-2012, 05:48 PM
The 3M trim adhesive is the best choice, especially if you have time. It can be removed when you have to replace the weatherstripping in the future. Some adhesives are damm near impossible to clean up if you have to remove the trim. 3M does take a while to set and it is VERY messy. If you want to be cautious use masking tape and gloves. The seal should not protrude past the edge of the panel. Once you get the seals on it will take a while for the doors to close right till the seals get a "set". You may have to adjust the anchor pins. You shlould not have to slam the doors.
David Teitelbaum

DMCMW Dave
04-19-2012, 07:13 PM
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive number 08008.

jawn101
04-19-2012, 11:03 PM
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive number 08008.

Not like someone of Dave's cachet needs a +1, but +1. I just checked what the stuff I used was and it's exactly this. This stuff is like magic. It is definitely a mess but it almost seems to "know" what to stick to and what not to. After you give it 30 seconds to cure you can use a toothpick and clean up any spillage/squeeze out easily and cleanly. Then when it's fully cured it's a perfect bond, unless you decide you don't want it anymore. Easy to remove if you decide to.

Rich W
04-22-2012, 08:37 AM
I have successfully used the following:

3M 8001
3M 8008
3M 8011