PDA

View Full Version : General What is the best way for marking the distributor for removal?

Jeffu
04-21-2012, 05:57 PM
I am pulling the heads on my car due to a bad head gasket on one side. I plan on having the heads reworked. Since I have never pulled the distributor, what do I need to know(besides the fact that I have to remove the holding tab) about removing it? Is there a special way I am suppose to mark the alignment somehow so it will remain in the correct timing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!:wink:

Bitsyncmaster
04-21-2012, 06:28 PM
If your are not going to turn the engine after your remove it....Turn the engine to top dead center and with the distributor cap removed note where the rotor points at. If you are on the compression stroke it should point to the number one cylinder.

DMCMW Dave
04-21-2012, 06:30 PM
I am pulling the heads on my car due to a bad head gasket on one side. I plan on having the heads reworked. Since I have never pulled the distributor, what do I need to know(besides the fact that I have to remove the holding tab) about removing it? Is there a special way I am suppose to mark the alignment somehow so it will remain in the correct timing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!:wink:

There is a hash mark on the distributor body which is where the rotor should point at TDC on #1. Since you are pulling the heads you will be rotating everything at some point, so when you put it back together you need to turn the engine to TDC with both valves on #1 closed, and set the distributor in place so that as it engages the gear it points at that mark.

Your bigger issue is getting the cam chains timed - read the manual process a couple of times before you start and don't skip anything!

Jeffu
04-21-2012, 07:04 PM
thank you guys!! I can't believe my luck. The engine was within 1/2 inch rotation of TDC on compression stroke of cyl #1. I just grabbed ahold of the harmonic balancer and gave it a twist until it was stopped on TDC. Now the fun begins with reading on the cam timing. Once again thanks!!

82DMC12
04-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Harmonic balancer? You mean the crank pulley?

Andy

Jeffu
04-23-2012, 10:20 AM
yes crank pulley:hihi2: