PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Well, So much for that.

ydjk58
04-22-2012, 02:39 AM
Here's the story, had my car back for 7 months, and on the road 4 of those. On my way to work a second job tonight, I ended up hitting a deer on the interstate. Wasn't able to see it on the side of the road and slow down before it happened, it was only fur in front of me, then BANG. It seems to have been a miracle hit though, didn't damage the radiator, aside from some fur in it and maybe a few bent fins, however, it blew out both my high beams, knocked out my grille, and my logo (which I recovered from the road) and royally messed up the front facia. I was able to baby the car home (a trip of about 15 miles), my hood seems now be out of alignment, but still opens and closes ok, and no stainless was messed up. Hopefully it will not be an expensive repair, right now i'm estimating $3000 at the least (assuming it will just need a new facia and mounting hardware, and light setup), $5000 the most (if the frame got messed up), what should I look for? I can say the collision, which happened at about 60-65 MPH, did not trip the inertia switch, and didn't screw up my alignment in my steering. Josh @ DPI, should be expecting a call from me tomorrow afternoon, unless he reads this and calls me first. I would like to have this all repaired by early June, I do have the car registered for the DCS.

WelmoedJ
04-22-2012, 03:17 AM
Here's the story, had my car back for 7 months, and on the road 4 of those. On my way to work a second job tonight, I ended up hitting a deer on the interstate. Wasn't able to see it on the side of the road and slow down before it happened, it was only fur in front of me, then BANG. It seems to have been a miracle hit though, didn't damage the radiator, aside from some fur in it and maybe a few bent fins, however, it blew out both my high beams, knocked out my grille, and my logo (which I recovered from the road) and royally messed up the front facia. I was able to baby the car home (a trip of about 15 miles), my hood seems now be out of alignment, but still opens and closes ok, and no stainless was messed up. Hopefully it will not be an expensive repair, right now i'm estimating $3000 at the least (assuming it will just need a new facia and mounting hardware, and light setup), $5000 the most (if the frame got messed up), what should I look for? I can say the collision, which happened at about 60-65 MPH, did not trip the inertia switch, and didn't screw up my alignment in my steering. Josh @ DPI, should be expecting a call from me tomorrow afternoon, unless he reads this and calls me first. I would like to have this all repaired by early June, I do have the car registered for the DCS.

Sorry to read about your bad luck.

I have seen a Swedish D that had hit a deer.
Suspect the hard foam behind your facia probably need replacement.
Since your hood also has moved there also could be damage to the front fiberglass section.
All the actual damage can only be found after disassembly of the front.

Hope for the least damage, but expect it to be more (hidden).

BTW: Deer should be hunted with a rifle, not a car ;)

dvonk
04-22-2012, 07:18 AM
man, that sucks. im glad youre ok!

...and that it didnt hit your LFF.

ydjk58
04-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Here is the damage, and I went out to where it happened. I guess me and a deer are even

Soundkillr
04-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Looks like it also folded your hood. I see a spot where the brace now shows from where the metal was pulled down. Also looks like it bent the edge of the hood some. Just something to point out to your adjuster if you go through insurance....

Jimmyvonviggle
04-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Did we really need to see that poor deer?

Too bad about the car but all things considered she held up pretty well.

ydjk58
04-22-2012, 06:34 PM
The little dent in the hood and the brace showing has been on my car since I got it, so that is nothing new. I will have to look at the hood more tomorrow. It didn't look rolled back to be, just pushed back about a 1/2 inch. Something ironic, is now my doors are working better than ever, before this they liked to stick a little, but well see how long that lasts.

Delorean Industries
04-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Great to talk to you today Jim. Glad you are alright. We will get you taken care of!

protodelorean
04-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Here is the damage, and I went out to where it happened. I guess me and a deer are even

#1 Glad you're OK

#2 I'm amazed the damage is restricted to the fascia (and maybe the hood). As low as the De Lorean is I can't believe it didn't come up and hit the windshield.

#3 Natural selection, it works.

Delorean Industries
04-22-2012, 08:16 PM
#1 Glad you're OK

#2 I'm amazed the damage is restricted to the fascia (and maybe the hood). As low as the De Lorean is I can't believe it didn't come up and hit the windshield.

#3 Natural selection, it works.

The last deer to Delorean accident I saw totaled the car. He was very lucky.

Jeffu
04-23-2012, 12:04 AM
glad you're ok...and glad it was not any worse. I would run a claim through insurance and risk the surcharge if I were you. Just my 2 cents... :wink:

ydjk58
04-23-2012, 12:17 AM
I have filed a claim, adjuster will hopefully be out later today, then after he's done his work, I will be hauling it out to Josh @ DPI later this week, either wednesday or thursday (only days I have off). Better stock up on duck tape for the front facia to keep it from flapping or tearing off on the trip there. I know we discussed having you get it yesterday Josh, and, as I said, I need to get out of town and state for a day. So we will see how things go this week. I just hope to have the car back by DCS.

whocruiser
04-23-2012, 08:35 AM
If you are willing to share the info with us, I'm sure lots of us would like to know your insurance company & their policy coverages, and to hear how helpful (or not) they are to you throughout the claim & repair process.

ydjk58
04-23-2012, 12:32 PM
No problem, I can provide you with that info. I have Erie Insurance, with $1 Million/$1 Million Coverage, full comp. The DeLorean is more than covered. The worst hit I will be taking will be my $1000 deductible. I see no reason for them to total the car, it did drive it home after all, and that was 15 miles from where I hit the deer, and that was on the interstate. The adjuster will be here tomorrow, so we will see how things go from there, and I know worse comes to worse, my boss is a lawyer, so if things get sticky, I'm covered.

ydjk58
04-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Spoke with my adjuster yesterday, and it went well. My insurance agrees with my decision to take the car to Josh. He told me they have no reference and that taking to an expert on the car is the best option. He seemed more thrilled just to see a DeLorean in person than anything. So, now I will be loading the car up on a trailer and on my way to Josh's in about an hour.

ydjk58
04-27-2012, 12:20 PM
UPDATE. I got the car hauled safely out to DPI this week. I am awaiting a call back from either Josh or the Adjuster for my insurance company right now as to what is happening with the car. It may be totaled. If thats the case, I will be getting another DeLorean, and buying my old one back for parts. Hopefully I can find a 5-Speed, Black Interior, preferably an 81.

uhhair
04-27-2012, 12:27 PM
UPDATE. I got the car hauled safely out to DPI this week. I am awaiting a call back from either Josh or the Adjuster for my insurance company right now as to what is happening with the car. It may be totaled. If thats the case, I will be getting another DeLorean, and buying my old one back for parts. Hopefully I can find a 5-Speed, Black Interior, preferably an 81.

I really fail to see how an adjuster can total a car that had (From what you've told us) no frame damage and no damaged stainless?

Assuming your car is in average condition, with a value of around $15k, that wouldn't be even close to covering it. Did we miss something and the frame is messed up?

ydjk58
04-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Yes, there were things that I failed to update. The doors got tweaked pretty bad, and the LFF did get damaged, I didn't notice it until I dropped the car off, plus it appears that the whole car got twisted for a lack of better terms. Josh did the estimate on it, with the bill coming to about $26,000, which is what my insurance was valuing the car at. I do suppose though in the end, I do end up winning, as the car will become the donor to rebuild one into the DeLorean of my dreams.

Delorean Industries
04-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Core components that were damaged beyond repair in the accident:
fasica and everything supporting and or behind it
condenser (bent in)
spoiler (torn)
rock screen
grille
radiator shroud
washer bottle
bottle housing
fiberglass damage to the tub (we quoted grafting a section in)
wiper transmission (hood pushed into the transmission with more fiberglass damage)
left front fender ( bowed outwards and creased up the fender well)
hood is now a rainbow sticking out over an inch and half at the middle of the fenders with the fiberglass separated from the stainless (grooved hood)
Doors- both buckled and destroyed the front latches, tore the glass free on the passenger side and will not close. The bond between the outerdoor skin and door failed and they now move freely of each other.
Both rear fiberglass inlays destroyed from the doors shifting backwards
T panel damaged from doors pushing back

It adds up quickly when you are dealing with rare fenders, hoods and door replacement/alignment.

Edit- The worst part is that we spent a lot of time and energy on putting this car back together recently. Nothing hurts more then seeing hard work destroyed by a deer. In the end though the most important thing is that Jim is alright.

jawn101
04-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Damn, this is terrible to see. Sorry for the loss!

82DMC12
04-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Unbelievable how fast it adds up. Luckily a full, fair pay out for a totalled car should go a long ways towards a really nice car given the current economy. This kind of thing makes me really nervous to drove my D on deer-infested Minnesota roads. And Minnesota -driver-infested roads, for that matter (not counting dmc6960).

I think I would go bananas ape-shit if this happened to me. Kudos for keeping calm!

Andy

ydjk58
04-27-2012, 02:34 PM
You've heard of some clouds having silver lining, well, this one has a stainless steel lining, while I am upset, you just have to take the good with the bad. In the end, I will have a better DeLorean.

dmc6960
04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
And ironically enough, my closest call with a Deer in the DeLorean was in PA! Probably missed it by about 1 deer length as I managed to get the car at about a 45ยบ angle doing 65mph down I-80. The deer in MN seem to stay far away from me.

Really hope insurance works out well for you.

Kenny_Z
04-28-2012, 11:31 AM
My closest call was when a deer took out a blazer in front of Red. It totaled the blazer and I know it would have gone through the windshield of my D. It was hit in mid-jump. On the way into the office this morning I saw a dead deer in the road.

I'm sorry your car was totaled. I look forward to the thread about you finding the Delorean you want. Good luck.

vwdmc16
04-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Damn, that is way more damage than I would have thought. I feel for you mate!