PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Diagnosing squeak help

opethmike
04-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Been experiencing a squeak that's been driving me crazy lately. Squeak is higher pitched, doesn't seem to be affected by speed, only happens when making turns. I want to say its coming from the rear, but we all know how well sounds can "travel".

I'm not particularly good at diagnosing this sort of thing, so I would appreciate assistance and input.

Thanks in advance!

David T
04-22-2012, 09:17 PM
One trick is to spray with water the area you think the squeak is coming from.f it goes away you are getting close.
David Teitelbaum

opethmike
04-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks Dave. I'll put that on my list of things to try with it.

jawn101
04-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Check to see your brace in the rear of the engine bay isn't rubbing on the firewall. Also, Clint had this issue and I believe it turned out to be light cracks in the tub at the firewall.

opethmike
04-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Check to see your brace in the rear of the engine bay isn't rubbing on the firewall. Also, Clint had this issue and I believe it turned out to be light cracks in the tub at the firewall.

Noted, and thanks.

kings1527
11-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Been experiencing a squeak that's been driving me crazy lately. Squeak is higher pitched, doesn't seem to be affected by speed, only happens when making turns. I want to say its coming from the rear, but we all know how well sounds can "travel".

I'm not particularly good at diagnosing this sort of thing, so I would appreciate assistance and input.

Thanks in advance!

I have something similar going on right now. I think it's at the rear passenger's side wheel and it happens with a right turn as well as going straight but goes away with a left turn. Seems to be more pronounced at low speed.

Did you ever find the culprit?

Thanks.

PJ Grady Inc.
11-13-2014, 05:41 PM
This one should be easy(I think)! Both of you should check your parking brake adjustment. There is a tendency to run the pads on the tight side to keep the PB lever travel at a minimum but if there is less than 3/4 of a turn clearance at the pad adjustment it will squeak on turns. Very common problem. Btw thank you kings 1527 for the nice comments!
Rob Grady

kings1527
11-13-2014, 07:50 PM
This one should be easy(I think)! Both of you should check your parking brake adjustment. There is a tendency to run the pads on the tight side to keep the PB lever travel at a minimum but if there is less than 3/4 of a turn clearance at the pad adjustment it will squeak on turns. Very common problem. Btw thank you kings 1527 for the nice comments!
Rob Grady

Rob, you were spot on. I just did a full brake rebuild (calipers, rotors, pads, master, and hoses) and when I was all done, I adjusted the parking brake on the tighter side for the exact reason you mentioned. After spending forever plus a day to get this first-timer job done, the last thing I wanted to do was try to hunt this squeak down.

I loosed up the PB adjustment a little bit and that was it.

THANK YOU!