PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Any harm in removing lambda counter?

orbitron3000
04-25-2012, 07:49 PM
When I installed my new speedometer system, including the long speedometer cable from Hervey, I opted to simply remove the lambda counter completely as it got in the way of the cable. Is there any harm in removing this device? I've checked the wiring schematics and couldn't see that it was tied into anything other than the instrument cluster light.

jawn101
04-25-2012, 07:51 PM
When I installed my new speedometer system, including the long speedometer cable from Hervey, I opted to simply remove the lambda counter completely as it got in the way of the cable. Is there any harm in removing this device? I've checked the wiring schematics and couldn't see that it was tied into anything other than the instrument cluster light.

Nope, no harm. It's got no function other than to count about 30,000 miles and turn the light on.

opethmike
04-25-2012, 07:51 PM
YOU REMOVED THE LAMBDA COUNTER?!?!?! Great, here comes the zombie apocalypse!

orbitron3000
04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Nope, no harm. It's got no function other than to count about 30,000 miles and turn the light on.

I guess my next question is if there is anyway to have the light on the instrument cluster not turn on...other than removing the bulb. I remember driving a few times and seeing the light flicker, and I thought I had accidentally bumped my leg into the wires that were originally plugged in. If i just connect the wires that were originally connected to the counter just to each other, would that solve that problem without creating additional bugs in the electrical system?

jawn101
04-25-2012, 07:54 PM
I guess my next question is if there is anyway to have the light on the instrument cluster not turn on...other than removing the bulb. I remember driving a few times and seeing the light flicker, and I thought I had accidentally bumped my leg into the wires that were originally plugged in. If i just connect the wires that were originally connected to the counter just to each other, would that solve that problem without creating additional bugs in the electrical system?

Jumpering those wires will cause the light to *always* be on. Most likely removing the counter will cause the flicker to stop.

orbitron3000
04-25-2012, 07:56 PM

HAHA yes it is currently sitting in a box in my garage. One less thing complicating the speedometer system. :rock_on:

dvonk
04-25-2012, 09:42 PM
...here comes the zombie apocalypse!

uh oh, i better get more ammo. :gunfire::dead:

jawn101
04-25-2012, 10:00 PM
uh oh, i better get more ammo. :gunfire::dead:

Remember: remove the head or destroy the brain.

dvonk
04-25-2012, 10:18 PM
i should also dust off my copy of The Zombie Survival Guide... :biggrin:

whocruiser
04-26-2012, 08:55 AM

My god man, the next thing you know you'll be taking the tags off of mattresses!!!

sean
04-26-2012, 09:00 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

David T
04-26-2012, 09:32 AM
If you are not going to use the Lambda counter you should at least keep track of your mileage and every 30,000 miles replace the O2 sensor and adjust the valves. That's all it was anyway, a reminder to do that.
David Teitelbaum

4 8 15 16 23 42

jfirios
04-26-2012, 01:01 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

You have to push the button. For the love of GOD dont forget to push the button.

stevedmc
04-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Is there any harm in removing this device?

No.

Just disconnect the wire plugged into the counter. Takes less than 5 seconds to do.

DMC1983
04-26-2012, 01:05 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

I didn't know DeLoreans will take you back to the island.

but to stay on topic... are you putting in the one piece speedo?

Witchboard
04-26-2012, 05:28 PM
I thought we were on topic...

thirdmanj
04-26-2012, 09:21 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/46a04793-f4a6-510f.jpg

Chris Burns
04-26-2012, 09:31 PM
I thought there was a DO NOT REMOVE LAMBDA tag underneath the dash on the Delorean.:neener:

Seriously I have been hearing good things about the one cable speedo system.:race:

stevedmc
04-27-2012, 09:01 AM
I thought there was a DO NOT REMOVE LAMBDA tag underneath the dash on the Delorean.:neener:

Seriously I have been hearing good things about the one cable speedo system.:race:

Remove the tag.

thirdmanj
07-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Is this the plug I'm supposed to disconnect to prevent the LAMBDA light from coming on around 30k?
http://img.tapatalk.com/46a04793-2c19-6591.jpg

ccurzio
07-04-2012, 09:44 AM
There is exactly ONE electrical cable that comes out of the Lambda counter. Disconnect the plug on that cable and you will have no more Lambda light. The one you are pointing to appears to be that one and only plug.

If you have a functional system, why would you want to disable the light?

Tillsy
07-04-2012, 10:05 AM

If we were talking about a woman, it'd be because the oil/lamba/engine lights are too bright and distract from her driving :dork:

thirdmanj
07-04-2012, 03:18 PM
There is exactly ONE electrical cable that comes out of the Lambda counter. Disconnect the plug on that cable and you will have no more Lambda light. The one you are pointing to appears to be that one and only plug.

Because I don't want it to come on. The way I understand it is, the whole LAMBDA system basically serves to remind the owner to change the O2 sensor. Which is recomended at about 30k. I guess maybe a better question would be, if the sensor goes bad, and the LAMBDA light comes on, does replacing the sensor automatically extinguish the light?

pezzonovante88
07-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Because I don't want it to come on. The way I understand it is, the whole LAMBDA system basically serves to remind the owner to change the O2 sensor. Which is recomended at about 30k. I guess maybe a better question would be, if the sensor goes bad, and the LAMBDA light comes on, does replacing the sensor automatically extinguish the light?

I just replaced my LAMBDA counter with a brand new one and the light went off. I spoke with Dave at DMCMW and he said there is no actual harm in fully removing it other than the speedo and odometer being disabled. I think PJ Grady has a bypass cable, though.

ccurzio
07-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Because I don't want it to come on.

That's not really an answer though. WHY don't you want it to come on?

It's pretty much a mechanical "Service" light. When it comes on you replace the o2 sensor, reset the counter, and you're finished. So again, if you have a functional system why would you want to disable it?

I just replaced my LAMBDA counter with a brand new one and the light went off. I spoke with Dave at DMCMW and he said there is no actual harm in fully removing it other than the speedo and odometer being disabled. I think PJ Grady has a bypass cable, though.

It's not really a bypass cable per se, it's actually just a single cable that runs directly from the angle drive to the speedometer.

thirdmanj
07-04-2012, 03:41 PM
That's not really an answer though. WHY don't you want it to come on?

It's pretty much a mechanical "Service" light. When it comes on you replace the o2 sensor, reset the counter, and you're finished. So again, if you have a functional system why would you want to disable it?

I just didn't think it was nessary. But I didn't know about resetting the counter, how is that done ?

ccurzio
07-04-2012, 03:43 PM
I just didn't think it was nessary. But I didn't know about resetting the counter, how is that done ?

There's a little white wheel on the side. After you've replaced the o2 sensor you just turn the wheel until the counter reads 000. Then the light turns off and you don't worry about it for another 30k miles. It's dead easy.

thirdmanj
07-04-2012, 03:47 PM
There's a little white wheel on the side. After you've replaced the o2 sensor you just turn the wheel until the counter reads 000. Then the light turns off and you don't worry about it for another 30k miles. It's dead easy.

That is dead easy. Huh, guess I can live with that.

DMCMW Dave
07-04-2012, 03:50 PM
It's not really a bypass cable per se, it's actually just a single cable that runs directly from the angle drive to the speedometer.

The downside to the longer cable is that, should you ever need to replace it, you have to remove or at least detach the binnacle to get the cable off. With the two-piece ones it is always the lower that fails and replacement is pretty easy since the in-car connection is so accessible. The upside is fewer moving parts to go bad (i.e. the counter).

ccurzio
07-04-2012, 03:54 PM
The downside to the longer cable is that, should you ever need to replace it, you have to remove or at least detach the binnacle to get the cable off. With the two-piece ones it is always the lower that fails and replacement is pretty easy since the in-car connection is so accessible. The upside is fewer moving parts to go bad (i.e. the counter).

I agree with this whole-heartedly, having just replaced my angle drive and lower speedo cable a few weeks back. :)

Additionally, the counter can also serve as a buffer between a failed/failing angle drive, dust cap, or lower cable and the speedometer. If something is going to break, I'd rather it toast the counter before anything else - especially the speedometer. I've already had to rebuild my lambda counter once thanks to the previous angle drive and lower cable.

pezzonovante88
07-04-2012, 05:51 PM
That is dead easy. Huh, guess I can live with that.

If it doesn't break. Mine was all brittle inside and it fell apart.

thirdmanj
07-04-2012, 07:31 PM
If it doesn't break. Mine was all brittle inside and it fell apart.

Which brings me back to maybe I should just disconnect the bitch.