PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Door striker pin shims

jawn101
04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
I need to move one of my striker pins slightly back (passenger side rear pin is hitting too deep) and was told at a recent tech day to remove the washer under it and install a thinner shim. I've looked high and low and don't see where I'm supposed to obtain such a thing. Do I just take my washers to Ace and hope to find something thinner? Is there a vendor part or something specialized?

Patrick C
04-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Do I just take my washers to Ace and hope to find something thinner?

Yep!

DMCMW Dave
04-26-2012, 08:11 PM
If the the washers are too thin they will collaps and "dish", which pulls the striker pins back to the center of the hole in the plastic.

Ron
04-26-2012, 08:38 PM
If the the washers are too thin they will collaps and "dish", which pulls the striker pins back to the center of the hole in the plastic.
yep...and it's even worse if some monkey reamed the hole out to move it the other directions.
Better luck with washers from the Grade 8 box or even the Stainless ones ;-)

outatym2001
04-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Please see my pictures in the thread below. My answers regarding the shims are there.

Door Striker Pin Alignment
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?322-Door-Striker-Pin-Alignment

Washer, Striker part number 105597. $0.57 each.
http://store.delorean.com/p-9492-washer-striker.aspx

jawn101
04-26-2012, 10:01 PM
I was able to get perfect pin alignment with a single 1/2" flat washer from Lowe's (part 63309 in store but not available online) - it's about 2/3 as thick as the original thick black washers that were on the car. I was lucky that the plastic hadn't been modified yet and everything was still stock. I painted the washer and it's drying now, but I tested it beforehand and the door closes like butter now. Gonna give Clint a run for his money! :)

vwdmc16
04-26-2012, 11:06 PM
fat chance mate my doors were aligned by the gullwing gods!

jawn101
04-26-2012, 11:07 PM
fat chance mate my doors were aligned by the gullwing gods!

Bring it!!

vwdmc16
04-26-2012, 11:09 PM
well i already did, we just need to make a fool proof contest to find the winner.

also check out I posted up my resto thread...

jawn101
04-26-2012, 11:10 PM
You'll still win anyway. But it's a big improvement from where I was :)

Davis or Japanese?

vwdmc16
04-26-2012, 11:16 PM
well im real glad for you man, you needed that

my 1768 thread here on dmctalk

Jonathan
04-26-2012, 11:25 PM
well i already did, we just need to make a fool proof contest to find the winner.

also check out I posted up my resto thread...

I will gladly offer up my car's clunky closing doors as a guinea pig for your contest! :)

EDIT: I just looked at the photos in Mark's thread. What is this "cupped" washer all about? I don't have those on my car. Would these make some of my clunking go away?

outatym2001
04-29-2012, 10:28 AM
I will gladly offer up my car's clunky closing doors as a guinea pig for your contest! :)

EDIT: I just looked at the photos in Mark's thread. What is this "cupped" washer all about? I don't have those on my car. Would these make some of my clunking go away?

Good question. And, I don’t know. I added and removed washers (both cupped and flat) to prevent my door Striker Pins from colliding with the door Latches.
I bought those cupped washers from www.delorean.com before there were any pictures available on their web site. I was expecting flat washers in the mail instead I get cupped washers??? What the hell! Oh, well they work.