PDA

View Full Version : Engine What's the "correct" oil filter for the DeLorean?

DeLorean
04-27-2012, 11:12 PM
So the filter listed in most parts catalog causes interference with my oil pressure gauge sender. What filter is correct, and actually fits the car?

jawn101
04-28-2012, 12:23 AM
So the filter listed in most parts catalog causes interference with my oil pressure gauge sender. What filter is correct, and actually fits the car?

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/engine-tuneup.html
http://store.delorean.com/p-10198-six-pack-bosch-filters.aspx

jorge figueroa
04-28-2012, 08:06 AM
http://store.delorean.com/p-10198-six-pack-bosch-filters.aspx

go to the nearest Autozone store and search engine filter
bosch model 3421.
this filter never interferes with the oil pressure sensor

Michael
04-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Like most people I just ordered half a dozen filters from DMCMW so whenever I need to change the oil I have the correct filter.

DeLorean
04-28-2012, 10:14 AM
go to the nearest Autozone store and search engine filter
bosch model 3421.
this filter never interferes with the oil pressure sensor

3421 - Thanks! Special-T auto price is pretty good, however I can still beat the price at the local walmart - if they have the 3421, which seems to be a common unit and they DO have a pretty good Bosch filter selection... I'm off to see if I can find some & will report back on price / if they have em.

mluder
04-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Don't forget you will want to replace the copper crush washer on the drain plug. :wrenchin:

Cheers
Steve

nofear365
04-28-2012, 10:17 PM
I just picked up 6 Bosch oil filters from Special T Auto for 25 bucks! Doesn't get much cheaper in my neck of the woods!

DeLorean
04-28-2012, 11:01 PM
I just picked up 6 Bosch oil filters from Special T Auto for 25 bucks! Doesn't get much cheaper in my neck of the woods!

Shipping price? The walmart near me had them for $5.32 ea, however - they were out! The auto zone has the same filter, in-stock (they had 3) for $6.75 each. Assuming shipping is reasonable, the special-t-auto price might be the best...

I use probably 2 filters a year.... but if I needed a 3 year supply specialTauto would probably be the most economical. Also, I'd pay $25 to NOT have to go into a walmart or auto parts store near me. :disapprove:

nofear365
04-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Shipping price? The walmart near me had them for $5.32 ea, however - they were out! The auto zone has the same filter, in-stock (they had 3) for $6.75 each. Assuming shipping is reasonable, the special-t-auto price might be the best...

I use probably 2 filters a year.... but if I needed a 3 year supply specialTauto would probably be the most economical. Also, I'd pay $25 to NOT have to go into a walmart or auto parts store near me. :disapprove:

It was only a few bucks for shipping. Since I saved so much on the oil filters I had him throw in a K&N air filter. :hihi:

Looks like he raised the price to 29.95. Wonder if I got my price because of a typo?

DeLorean
04-29-2012, 08:11 AM
It was only a few bucks for shipping. Since I saved so much on the oil filters I had him throw in a K&N air filter. :hihi:

You on the Island, eh? Was just there a few weeks ago. you ever go to Denino's Pizzeria? Delicious. Probably heading there tonight.

nofear365
04-29-2012, 09:27 PM
You on the Island, eh? Was just there a few weeks ago. you ever go to Denino's Pizzeria? Delicious. Probably heading there tonight.

Never been there. Recently went to Goodfellas Pizza. It was amazing!

davidhamblyn
04-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Don't forget you will want to replace the copper crush washer on the drain plug. :wrenchin:

Cheers
Steve

Do any of the compatible filters come with a new washer?

Thanks in advance,

David

whocruiser
04-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Do any of the compatible filters come with a new washer?

Thanks in advance,

David

They do when you buy them from a Delorean specific vendor like DMC or Hervey, from Walmart, Autozone & such others, not bloody likely...

nofear365
04-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Stock up on a handful from your favorite vendor. I do though 1 a year myself. I drive less than 1000 miles a year. I'm good for another 5 years now on filters.

jawn101
04-30-2012, 10:04 AM
In other words, patronize a vendor whenever possible! That ensures you always get the right thing and that we'll have the vendors around when we need them. The little extras like the copper washers are an added bonus.

DeLorean
04-30-2012, 02:26 PM
They do when you buy them from a Delorean specific vendor like DMC or Hervey, from Walmart, Autozone & such others, not bloody likely...

I use rubber gasketed O-rings, which can be re-used many times. You can get one at any auto parts store, and forget about that copper crush washer. Alternatively, check out the copper O-ring selection at the Napa, or better yet, the harbor freight. Lifetime supply will cost you about $2.00. The O-ring should not really be a consideration, if you are already in an auto parts store. I do agree, special-T price is good being that you don't have to drive to the auto parts store assuming you have planned ahead for your oil change. If not, you can get the filter, the correct one, with the O-ring, reasonably priced.

steve6864
05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
I use Fram 3600.The silver 2X is 3660.The others don`t fit,is my car somehow different?The book always recommends the short wide version,mine has to be the tall slim one.Original engine.steve.6864